• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
This.

It could have been such a cliche but they pull it off so well throughout the series.
Helps that they are both two of the better female characters in all of Gundam.

Turn A is probably my favorite in that regard.
Tomino didn't need to kill any of them to make them significant! He learned!

This.

It could have been such a cliche but they pull it off so well throughout the series.
Helps that they are both two of the better female characters in all of Gundam.
Queen Dianna actually seems to give a shit. She's actually really doing her best not to blow her cover and use this as a way to see the human toll of war. I could imagine the filter a lot of false information to her about this sort of thing. This is a show I'll probably enjoy a lot more on my rewatch. It's not the Gundam show I expected it to be because it's not all about the war and fights, but it's handling the story between the characters in a more complex fashion, which is quite interesting.

Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD Episode 15

Someone forgot to give Lunamaria Hawke the email that Athrun is already taken.
Seed Destiny is a harem anime and everybody is on it except for Athrun.

Turn A Gundam Ep 12:

Queen Dianna is such a sweet and nice woman. Her not being the Queen actually does a lot of character development for her. Seeing Kihel trying to lead in her place is good as well. You would expect her to just sit back and just rely on her delegates, but she isn't, both these women have a lot of strength. The role reversal actually helps them a lot. Dianna had balls of steel facing down Corin Nander, I'm really starting to like her character. Yoko Kanno is doing a really good job with this soundtrack.

3AaNbkU.gif

Yeah ok yeah, nice to see them actually as a credible threat. I think 8th MS Team tried at times, but they still got wrecked.

That is one thing about newer animation, the increase in technology and budget is how to keep it close to the original show. Making grunt suits look rad but they were pulling off some Seed level of shit. Char I think was right on the money but the others were a bit too much. Still looked awesome though.

That is one thing about newer animation, the increase in technology and budget is how to keep it close to the original show. Making grunt suits look rad but they were pulling off some Seed level of shit. Char I think was right on the money but the others were a bit too much. Still looked awesome though.
True. I did like when that cluster bomb shell ripped through and you got to see it explode in slow mo.

Turn A Gundam Ep 13:

Who dafuq is this red headed bitch that was about to brain Dianna Soriel with a fucking rock?!!! Turns out it's that dudes wife. Dat moonrace racism...holy shit!!!

So I'm not even done building the Try Burning and I'm already annoyed with the Plavsky pieces on the inside of the shoulders. They keep falling off for some reason. :/
Still, he looks SO COOL.

Yeah, but I don't want to mess it up! :(
Also, picked up a Sprukits Halo figure. (The blue dude. I don't know Halo.)
I like the plastic color, but I'm shocked at the amount of runners. (Like, 7?) Still, I'm excited to build it and compare it to Gunpla kits, especially due to the large amount of details in the armor. It looks like panel lining is going to be a blast~

So by the end of ZZ I was enjoying the heck out of it. A few weird story things, still, but all in all it was pretty great. I have a full appreciation for all the Glemy hatred now.

I was really hyped to finally watch Char's Counterattack, and, uh... Well, it wasn't that bad. I just feel like it took a dump on a lot of characters I'd grown to love.
Good old Astonaige killed in some random explosion and never mentioned again was heartbreaking. How could they do that? Kamille and Judeau don't even get a mention. And don't get me started on how they basically ruined Char after his awesomeness in Zeta...
The animation was nice and the battles were awesome, at least. And now it feels more proper to continue work on the Nu Gundam Ver Ka.

From the perspective of someone who was into Gundam (mostly just building Gunpla and playing SRW, though) back when I was in middle/high school, and as an adult finally getting around to actually watching the series that I never watched back then, it's been a great ride. I now have a much greater appreciation for a lot of things. Zeta will always be number 1 for me, though.

After I finish Unicorn, what non-UC show do I watch? I'm leaning towards either Turn-A or G Gundam.

PhiLonius

So by the end of ZZ I was enjoying the heck out of it. A few weird story things, still, but all in all it was pretty great. I have a full appreciation for all the Glemy hatred now.

I was really hyped to finally watch Char's Counterattack, and, uh... Well, it wasn't that bad. I just feel like it took a dump on a lot of characters I'd grown to love.
Good old Astonaige killed in some random explosion and never mentioned again was heartbreaking. How could they do that? Kamille and Judeau don't even get a mention. And don't get me started on how they basically ruined Char after his awesomeness in Zeta...
The animation was nice and the battles were awesome, at least. And now it feels more proper to continue work on the Nu Gundam Ver Ka.

From the perspective of someone who was into Gundam (mostly just building Gunpla and playing SRW, though) back when I was in middle/high school, and as an adult finally getting around to actually watching the series that I never watched back then, it's been a great ride. I now have a much greater appreciation for a lot of things. Zeta will always be number 1 for me, though.

After I finish Unicorn, what non-UC show do I watch? I'm leaning towards either Turn-A or G Gundam.

Are you not watching F91 and Victory?

If not I would say go for G and save Turn A for last.

They were bros in Zeta and then bitching about Lalah before they die in Char's Counterattack. Char took so many steps backwards in that movie. Then you have Hathaway and Quess... I'm enjoying Turn A, it's very different for a Gundam show, but it's pretty good.

NEO0MJ

Whether or not you'll enjoy G depends a lot on how much you tolerate cheesy super robot shows. It's nothing like any other Gundam show. Might be safer to go with Turn A.

Tecl0n

The ending of the PS2 game tries to bridge char's change between Zeta and CCA.

Acid08

Banned
G is full on super robot. It's a legitimately great show, a genre classic imo, but it's nothing like other Gundam shows.

Turn A also isn't super traditional but it'll feel more familiar. It's also the best show Tomino has made imo.

You should also make times to watch F91 and read its sequel manga Crossbone Gundam.

The ending of the PS2 game tries to bridge char's change between Zeta and CCA.
Hilarious that a fucking PS2 game attempts to do what Tomino failed to.

G is full on super robot. It's a legitimately great show, a genre classic imo, but it's nothing like other Gundam shows.

Turn A also isn't super traditional but it'll feel more familiar. It's also the best show Tomino has made imo.

You should also make times to watch F91 and read its sequel manga Crossbone Gundam.

Hilarious that a fucking PS2 game attempts to do what Tomino failed to.
Yeah Turn A does not feel like a traditional Gundam, but I'm loving the plot with Dianna. She takes a giant shit on Relena, she's definitely up there in properly portrayed Gundam women so far.

Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD Episode 16

I always love Athrun but definitely his lowest moment of the season. Wasnt necessary to even slap poor Shinn like that. He had done the right thing and even finally smiled for once. All he wanted was approval from his idol, Athrun even. Good battle.

Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BD Episode 16

I always love Athrun but definitely his lowest moment of the season. Wasnt necessary to even slap poor Shinn like that. He had done the right thing and even finally smiled for once. All he wanted was approval from his idol, Athrun even. Good battle.
Shinn gets seriously out of hand later in the show. Shinn's in the wrong for not even learning from that situation. Shinn was being insubordinate and put other people's lives at risk because he wanted to get off on a power fantasy.

can someone help me with painting my gunpla? I've been trying to spray paint my gunpla with tamiya spray can this time and I had trouble when applying panel lining using tamiya enamel wash, when I tried to clean up the excess paint with tamiya enamel thinner, it also remove the base paint.

I read online that I should apply gloss coat after spray painting the base color to protect the color and make the enamel wash flow better. so I did that using tamiya ts-13 clear spraycan because I was told it serve as gloss coat, but I still had the same problem as before, the enamel thinner remove the base paint as well.

can someone help tell me where I got wrong? wrong kind of paint? how long do I need to leave the paint to dry before applying the next step of coating, or enamel wash and then thinner?

thanks

She's fucking awesome. Turn A is full of really great characters.
I'm on Ep 21 and she's done so much growing, she really is this strong sweet woman that likes living and trying to find her way in it, it's really just nice to see.
Because Dianna and Kihel are amazing.
This is so true. She's volunteering as nurse, which is something she doesn't even know how to do, yet she's not even really acting above it, she's just trying to do her best to do it, which is nice to see. She's not letting her former upbringing as a Queen inhibit from doing what she feels is right.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
can someone help me with painting my gunpla? I've been trying to spray paint my gunpla with tamiya spray can this time and I had trouble when applying panel lining using tamiya enamel wash, when I tried to clean up the excess paint with tamiya enamel thinner, it also remove the base paint.

I read online that I should apply gloss coat after spray painting the base color to protect the color and make the enamel wash flow better. so I did that using tamiya ts-13 clear spraycan because I was told it serve as gloss coat, but I still had the same problem as before, the enamel thinner remove the base paint as well.

can someone help tell me where I got wrong? wrong kind of paint? how long do I need to leave the paint to dry before applying the next step of coating, or enamel wash and then thinner?

thanks

Tamiya Enamel thinner is too strong, try use Zippo Lighter Fluid.

1_1024744_FS.JPG

This is what I used, and it had no problem on top of lacquer or acrylic.

You can also try 2 coat of gloss (wait for first one to dye), or thin down your thinner. You waited at least 1 day after putting on gloss coat before doing panel wash right? Some paint dye fast but take some time to cure.

I gotta give it to Harry Ord for noticing that there was something off about "Dianna Soriel." He also looks quite decent dressed in earth closes, not those hideous wtf moonrace clothes.

Acid08

Banned
I gotta give it to Harry Ord for noticing that there was something off about "Dianna Soriel." He also looks quite decent dressed in earth closes, not those hideous wtf moonrace clothes.
Harry Ord is the Char clone all the other Char clones wish they could be. Char himself wishes he could have walked Harry's path instead of being pretend Space Hitler.

Harry Ord is the Char clone all the other Char clones wish they could be. Char himself wishes he could have walked Harry's path instead of being pretend Space Hitler.
I'm definitely assuming they deal with his growth more later in the show, this guy definitely isn't stupid though.

Tamiya Enamel thinner is too strong, try use Zippo Lighter Fluid.

1_1024744_FS.JPG

This is what I used, and it had no problem on top of lacquer or acrylic.

You can also try 2 coat of gloss (wait for first one to dye), or thin down your thinner. You waited at least 1 day after putting on gloss coat before doing panel wash right? Some paint dye fast but take some time to cure.

thanks, I'll try to look for zippo lighter fluid. I've waited for 1 night and the enamel thinner still affect the paint.

I also read a tutorial to use acrylic wash instead, I heard it's easier to clean up. so I was thinking to try thinning tamiya acrylic black paint with tamiya acrylic thinner and use that as wash instead of my enamel panel line wash. then do a clean up with acrylic thinner.

would that work?

Shinn gets seriously out of hand later in the show. Shinn's in the wrong for not even learning from that situation. Shinn was being insubordinate and put other people's lives at risk because he wanted to get off on a power fantasy.

Shinn did what was morally appropriate especially aftee the people were being shot at for trying to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom