• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

Unicorn 01 (Intro)

Ahahaha, is that really how the Universal Century started? No wonder the people of the G-Reco era think it's fucking cursed.

Painting the Rozen Zulu's white lines is almost as bad as applying the stickers.
Almost...
Also, I had to give my HG RX-78-2's backpack a weird "wasted away" look after the metal markers wouldn't come off, and now it looks way cool. Thinking about applying it to the inner frame to give it a dirty look.

Just got my very first airbrush/compressor today that I ordered off Amazon. Waiting on the spraybooth which comes Tuesday, can't wait!

Any tips for newcomers? I've been reading a few tutorials, but I think the basics really escape me like setup and work area stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TO578Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That's the one I got for reference.

Welcome to the wonderful world of airbrushes. Best advice I can give is to just practice on paper before working on a model. Make dots of varying sizes and then connect the dots. This will help you learn the control of the brush. Also plastic spoons are a great place to test shading and color selection before painting your models. Have fun.

ZZ Ep 46:

Glemy, do you really need Puru Two in your lap to operate the Quinn Mantha? Eat a giant sack of laser dicks Glemy, nobodies fucking mourning for your crazy perverted ass.

Welp, I decided I didn't want to do the NTD Nu Gundam mode early on because canon and shit, but I finally decided to do it. It's a lot of little changes, but the difference is so huge. It' (rightly) is like the kit jumped 25 years in the future. Also, while I love the shield, I think the big sheet of flat plastic just doesn't suit the complexity of the psycho-frame transformation mode. So, I ditched it.

Anyway, I'm probably going to keep it like this. If I want some classic-Nu action, I'll just get the HG.

Before: http://i.imgur.com/Y7thNff.jpg
After: http://i.imgur.com/2TQoYva.jpg

Hmm, first pose was better, tho. lol

Newtype Ghosts are pretty much the reason I don't like UC Gundam from Zeta onwards.
I mean Four can stay, he loved Four, but Katz and Sarah would need to get exorcised. I mean just hearing those two constantly bickering psychically would drive me insane.
4EbLzpj.jpg

And finished ZZ. I liked it a lot more the second time around so now I don't have to worry about skipping it during my UC rewatches. I'm glad I gave it a second shot. Fa and Kamille looked so sweet at the end running on the beach. Shit Fa is cute with her hair out. Judau definitely had a different kind of energy than your usual gundam protag. Wasn't as whiny as Amuro, wasn't as outspoken and unruly as Kamille and had more personality than Banagher, which isn't hard actually. Judau's an all around good kid. He didn't have the kind of growth that Kamille or Amuro needed because he didn't need to grow that much to begin with.

ZZ>Z, though Z is more memorable.
Zeta has a certain charm to it. Judau is less of an infuriating lead, but I feel Kamille goes through a lot and grows more as a character. I like both now so it's not really worth arguing about. Zeta just seems a lot more in your face with its "war is hell" message. Besides I love Paptimus as a last minute villain over Glemy. Seeing Paptimus collecting his newtype harem is a lot more interesting and less creepy compared to Glemy, Paptimus had swag. Glemy was just...god damn, like a pedophile. I also like Kamille and Fa a lot more as a couple compared to Roux and Judau. I think the worst parts of Zeta pretty much are just Katz and Reccoa's horse shit.

Eh, I didn't find this true. Zeta kinda blends together for me. One big smear of dramaaaaaaaaaa and melancholy.
And non stop smacking. Just when you think the smacking is over, it's not. Even Bright got the shit kicked out of him in this show. I still think Zeta had the eviler villains. Jamitov Hymen and Bask Ohm were straight up assholes that cared for nobody.

Unicorn Ep 1:

Fuck this shit is awesome. Full of those lovely UC era 80's haircuts, lovely mecha, awesome soundtrack. God Damn! I am never going to understand Banagher's immediate obsession with Audrey. Anybody know what Gundam pilots actually gets to keep their parents outside of Kira, Yzak and Nicol from Seed? Oh yeah Amuro's dad isn't dead, but it's a very short list to my knowledge.

Andrew J.

Unicorn 06

After hearing Full Frontal's plan I think I understand more how the world came to be in the states they were in Turn A and G-Reco.

Unicorn 06

After hearing Full Frontal's plan I think I understand more how the world came to be in the states they were in Turn A and G-Reco.
Sounds like I really need to watch those two shows...I might just start Turn A after dinner I need to knock that off my Gundam bucket list already.

PhiLonius

Unicorn Ep 1:

Fuck this shit is awesome. Full of those lovely UC era 80's haircuts, lovely mecha, awesome soundtrack. God Damn! I am never going to understand Banagher's immediate obsession with Audrey. Anybody know what Gundam pilots actually gets to keep their parents outside of Kira, Yzak and Nicol from Seed? Oh yeah Amuro's dad isn't dead, but it's a very short list to my knowledge.

Technically, Kira doesn't count either.

And you should definitely start Turn A.

Technically, Kira doesn't count either.

And you should definitely start Turn A.
Yep yeah thanks I actually completely forgot about Kira's twist. Still ended up better than Athrun on that front as far as I'm concerned. Yeah I will probably interrupt my Unicorn viewing for it. I've been curious about it for a bit I've just never given in the time. I hope it's got a good soundtrack. Is the whole thing Yoko Kanno or just the opening?

PhiLonius

Yep yeah thanks I actually completely forgot about Kira's twist. Still ended up better than Athrun on that front as far as I'm concerned. Yeah I will probably interrupt my Unicorn viewing for it. I've been curious about it for a bit I've just never given in the time. I hope it's got a good soundtrack. Is the whole thing Yoko Kanno or just the opening?

I think the majority of it is Yoko Kanno.

Welcome to the wonderful world of airbrushes. Best advice I can give is to just practice on paper before working on a model. Make dots of varying sizes and then connect the dots. This will help you learn the control of the brush. Also plastic spoons are a great place to test shading and color selection before painting your models. Have fun.

Thank you so much! This is an incredibly great idea to get practice in, didn't think of making it an exercise, but that actually makes the most sense.

Just went to the local hobby store which had TAs for $3.50 each, which I think is pretty good considering I normally see them go for $5+. Now I just need to pick up some alcohol from the drug store to thin it out and of course wait for the spraybooth to get here. Can't wait, so excited! :D

Turn A Gundam Ep 1:

Holy shit earth's civilization was blasted back into the 1920's. Why does this town seem like they could be descendants of Moon Moon?

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Thank you so much! This is an incredibly great idea to get practice in, didn't think of making it an exercise, but that actually makes the most sense.

Just went to the local hobby store which had TAs for $3.50 each, which I think is pretty good considering I normally see them go for $5+. Now I just need to pick up some alcohol from the drug store to thin it out and of course wait for the spraybooth to get here. Can't wait, so excited! :D

A few tips I learned:

Would help to take a look on how 2% fat milk felt in a mixing cup, because that's the recommend consistency you should thin your paint.

If you got a dual action airbrush, press down for air first, then pull back for paints. When you want stop, pull forward to stop the paint flow first, then release the trigger to stop the air. If air stop first before the paint, there might be paint left inside the needle.

Acid08

Banned
Finished up the HG ZZ.

It was really fun to build. MG-esque in the way the parts were molded. Almost all the colored pieces in it are molded in actual colors instead of stickers. Weirdly enough the only pieces that aren't are the red knee parts which are stickers. I'm sure there's a good reason for it but it's weird that just that one part wasn't actually molded in the correct color. The black stickers are easy to apply and make it look way better. Glad that Bandai provided so many! Posing isn't great without a stand and I somehow doubt it'll be that much better even with one. That's okay though, it looks ridiculously good just standing there.

It's also pretty big:

Way bigger than the Grimoire. Only about a head shorter than the MG Spiegel.

Andrew J.

Unicorn 07

I'd read before that this episode went heavy on the
Newtype ghosts
, but I was not prepared.

The climax reminded me of of the 00 S2 finale which a lot of people are critical of but I enjoyed.

Kanosei.

Unicorn 07

I'd read before that this episode went heavy on the
Newtype ghosts
, but I was not prepared.

The climax reminded me of of the 00 S2 finale which a lot of people are critical of but I enjoyed.

Kanosei.
Here I was expecting your wrap up to consist mainly of "Fuck Riddhe."

Why? He was made to fell genuine remorse for his actions, which is the most satisfying way to deal with a villain. It's why I like Dragon Quest IX so much.
He killed one of the best UC women, there's just not enough remorse for that one especially since she could've had an actually decent life with Zinnerman after everything got wrapped up. Considering how much suffering she went through in her life she actually deserved a pretty good ending, not death.

Why? He was made to fell genuine remorse for his actions, which is the most satisfying way to deal with a villain. It's why I like Dragon Quest IX so much.

Yeah but he
killed
the best girl so fuck Rhidde.

Also to the airbrushed above. Make sure that you wear some sort of respiratory protection if you are using lacquer paints.

Acid08

Banned

His reason for his betrayal is pathetic and his redemption came from
killing the best character in the show.

Fuck that guy.

Beth Cyra

I love Rhidde, sadly he is hated by most of the fanbase.

Then again I don't think the person he killed is that great and Bannager is worthless trash to me so Rhidde was the on good thing about Unicorn character wise.

His reason for his betrayal is pathetic and his redemption came from
killing the best character in the show.

Fuck that guy.

If not one of the best characters in the UC timeline.

Rhidde was just a thirsty ass mother fucker that went all whiney when he didn't get that Zeon ass.

A few tips I learned:

Would help to take a look on how 2% fat milk felt in a mixing cup, because that's the recommend consistency you should thin your paint.

If you got a dual action airbrush, press down for air first, then pull back for paints. When you want stop, pull forward to stop the paint flow first, then release the trigger to stop the air. If air stop first before the paint, there might be paint left inside the needle.

Thanks, knew a few of these tips from the Gunpla event thing in SoCal a few months back, but didn't know about the forward motion, that's really good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom