• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

So, how is it...? :)

Honestly, how does that Bitfrost compare to the Modi 2? Can you discern a $300 plus difference?

Diminishing returns probably hits hardest in the world of DACs. I'm still getting used to it, I just got it today. I already notice the leanness that people usually attribute to the Modi, it is fuller on the Bifrost. The highs seem to have a higher resolution too I think.

These changes are preliminary as I get used to the new equipment. They are also small changes, nothing drastic.

Haroon

Thanks again for your recommendation. After a bit more research, I've decided to purchase a pair from LendMeUREars. Can't wait to try them out, it's going to be a long two weeks waiting for them!

I did some research regarding IEM's, and found this website: http://theheadphonelist.com/headpho...essibility_rating1=0&accessibility_rating2=5#. It has reviews of each IEM. I ended up purchasing these ones http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELAM8LE/?tag=neogaf0e-20 because of their three year warranty, and they are rated highly on the first website that I linked.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
I did some research regarding IEM's, and found this website: http://theheadphonelist.com/headpho...essibility_rating1=0&accessibility_rating2=5#. It has reviews of each IEM. I ended up purchasing these ones http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELAM8LE/?tag=neogaf0e-20 because of their three year warranty, and they are rated highly on the first website that I linked.

I came across the headphone list too when I was making my decision. I went with the GR07's as they seem to have a more neutral sound signature, rather than the warmer, punchier sound of the MA750.

The Soundmagic E10's I have already are probably more similar to the MA750, with a V-shaped signature, so will keep these for a more fun and relaxed listen.

Haroon

I came across the headphone list too when I was making my decision. I went with the GR07's as they seem to have a more neutral sound signature, rather than the warmer, punchier sound of the MA750.

The Soundmagic E10's I have already are probably more similar to the MA750, with a V-shaped signature, so will keep these for a more fun and relaxed listen.

I see. No problem.

Decided to put my ZMF Vibro mk2 I recently bought up for sale. Doesn't pair very well with my new Valhalla and I need to recoup the costs of my Bifrost.

where?

must... remain... hard...

are they really pretty close to LCD-3s? Many seem to prefer them.

Who knows at this point. Audeze keeps changing them all.

well, my end-game setup is complete now.

got my schiit stack 2.0, balanced cables, my HD 800 (now w/ superdupont mod) and my Ether-C

I might do a little tube rolling if the mood strikes me, otherwise I'm very happy.

picture said:
E6KUIUo.jpg

DAC - Gungnir Multibit
Amp - Mjolnir 2 w/ stock tubes
Cable - Wywires w/ custom adapter for HD800 and Ether-C

Chittagong

Gold Member

got my schiit stack 2.0, balanced cables, my HD 800 (now w/ superdupont mod) and my Ether-C

I might do a little tube rolling if the mood strikes me, otherwise I'm very happy.

DAC - Gungnir Multibit

Man, that is an awesome setup congrats! Post impressions!

Man. That LCD-2 is calling me... I will go HE-1000 ultimately but the LCD-2s would be a very different proposition, dark, close and bassy... A fraction of the price of LCD-3s. At that price I might as well sell them again if I don't like them.

DAC - Gungnir Multibit

Nice! Literally the same setup I will probably have some day, finances permitting haha.

I like my X1 for what it does. I use that and my Momentums whenever I'm out and about.

My Bifrost 4490 arrived today. My end game rig for my HD650 is now complete for now.

Ya know, the black looks better than the silver. At first I thought it just looked more interesting because I'm used to seeing Schiit's regular gear, but now I'm convinced the black is better.

Ya know, the black looks better than the silver. At first I thought it just looked more interesting because I'm used to seeing Schiit's regular gear, but now I'm convinced the black is better.

Side by side with my Modi/Vali2 stack, I'm really digging the black too. The silver knobs and gray sides really mesh with the powdered black aluminum nicely.

I'm doing direct comparisons between the two stacks today.

I don't know anything about anything... so I'd probably just end up making up things to try and articulate how it sounds.

Worst part of audio discussions is the odd ways people describe the sound.

Do you like it?
How did you decide on that particular setup?
How does Taylor Swift 1989 sound on it?

Worst part of audio discussions is the odd ways people describe the sound.

Do you like it?
How did you decide on that particular setup?
How does Taylor Swift 1989 sound on it?

Those are the important questions.

1. Yes

2. The Schiit stuff.. I just like the company. I like their no BS attitude, been happy with most of their products that I've owned (possible exception being their DAC/Amp combo, the "fulla"). I wanted to step up from my Bifrost and Vali combination and get a balanced setup because I've felt like I was gimping my HD800 when I got them (about 2 yrs ago) by running them single-ended through a cheap amp.

I didn't want to buy their top of the line DAC and Amp because I didn't want to spend that much, wasn't sure my desk could handle the weight of Yggy and Ragnarok (25-26lbs each) and I liked the way the HD 800 sounded with tubes. I'd heard good things about the gumby and it was the natural match for the mjolnir 2. As for the Ether-C, I settled on it for a closed option because a lot of people over on head-fi and Tyll at innerfidelity really seemed to love them. I was in the market for a closed headphone that I could use at work to block out the noise from the co-workers kids that are sometimes in the office. I had been thinking of getting something cheaper, but I got a larger than expected tax refund and I decided to treat myself to a high-end pair of closed cans.

3. I don't know yet. I'll have to come back to this one. I'd imagine it sounds really good. (If you like t-swift)

Good Answers

Nice, everyone I have ever spoken to loves their Schiit gear. It is a great company for sure. You can stay away from the T-Swift if it is not your cup of tea. Everytime I post pictures of my setup I always have the album in the picture. Somewhere in the world a hardcore music snobs soul dies a little when they see the album personally I don't like her stuff but it's fun to rustle the feathers of people that really don't like her on high audio forums.

Nice, everyone I have ever spoken to loves their Schiit gear. It is a great company for sure. You can stay away from the T-Swift if it is not your cup of tea. Everytime I post pictures of my setup I always have the album in the picture. Somewhere in the world a hardcore music snobs soul dies a little when they see the album personally I don't like her stuff but it's fun to rustle the feathers of people that really don't like her on high audio forums.

I like some of her stuff.. "shake it off" is my favorite of hers currently. However, I listened to it on this setup and I really didn't like it much. The distortion effects in parts of the song are really grating to me on this setup. I don't notice them as much in my car or listening from my ipad or phone.

andylsun

I like some of her stuff.. "shake it off" is my favorite of hers currently. However, I listened to it on this setup and I really didn't like it much. The distortion effects in parts of the song are really grating to me on this setup. I don't notice them as much in my car or listening from my ipad or phone.

Taylor Swift is my guily pleasure too. Found the CD of 1989 very hard to listen to but the vinyl is quite a bit better.

andylsun

Interesting. I'll have to check that out and see if I feel the same way.

The vinyl of Red and Speak Now are amazingly good. 1989 was better on vinyl than CD, but I still don't really like the production. The vinyl is missing the last 3 tracks of the special edition of 1989 (wonderland, you are in love, new romantics)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I don't know anything about anything... so I'd probably just end up making up things to try and articulate how it sounds.

You... already have a firm grasp on how to review a headphone.

Just throw in words you'd expect to hear used to describe a plate of food, and you're a pro.

Currently listening to the Love Theme from Chinatown on my TH-X00s, powered by my FiiO Q1. Wow! I had really only listened to electronic and rock music with these, but they really sing with more orchestral stuff. Continually impressed with them.

I'm trying to soak up some use today because I'm shipping them off to be modded tomorrow.

Honest question, what are the benefits of balanced cable? I did some research and seems like they only allow you to use longer cable with less interference.

Iacobellis

Just got in a pair of DT990 Pros (250 Ohms) today. Been using them with the onboard jack on my MacBook Pro (15" Retina, 2015) for the last few hours and it's driving them surprisingly well. Definitely not the mind-blowing upgrade I expected them to be from my Sony XB-500s. Would investing in a DAC and Amp make a noticeable difference?

I've had my eye on Schiit hardware as of late, namely the Magni 2 + Modi 2 for at-home listening and then a Fulla for when on the road. What do you guys think?

Honest question, what are the benefits of balanced cable? I did some research and seems like they only allow you to use longer cable with less interference.

Honest answer:

Depends on gear.

Some gear does much better fully balanced. I doubt the vast majority of the world or 99% would ever have the need for a fully balanced setup. As each component would have to be. It's rare.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality, cheap earbuds with a mic? Looking for some to use with my PS4. Not trying to spend more than $20 so I don't expect them to be anything spectacular, just good enough so they don't fall apart after a few months. Thanks!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just got in a pair of DT990 Pros (250 Ohms) today. Been using them with the onboard jack on my MacBook Pro (15" Retina, 2015) for the last few hours and it's driving them surprisingly well. Definitely not the mind-blowing upgrade I expected them to be from my Sony XB-500s. Would investing in a DAC and Amp make a noticeable difference?

I've had my eye on Schiit hardware as of late, namely the Magni 2 + Modi 2 for at-home listening and then a Fulla for when on the road. What do you guys think?

Unless the MacBook has some godlike amp/DAC I don't know of, there's no way you're hearing their true potential. The 250 Ohm is notoriously hard to drive.

A Schiit setup would be great.

But, getting better amping doesn't mean they'll suddenly blow away the XB500. And should it blow them away? The MDR-XB500 is a headphone that launched in the same exact price bracket.

Iacobellis

Unless the MacBook has some godlike amp/DAC I don't know of, there's no way you're hearing their true potential. The 250 Ohm is notoriously hard to drive.

A Schiit setup would be great.

But, getting better amping doesn't mean they'll suddenly blow away the XB500. And should it blow them away? The MDR-XB500 is a headphone that launched in the same exact price bracket.

Looks like I'll have to take the plunge with the Schiit setup! But are you sure about the XB-500s? I remember buying my pair about four years ago for like $50-$60 on Amazon.

Tommy DJ

Only if the devices you are using use differential signalling.

Typically if you have the option of using balanced instead of single ended in your system (eg. Schiit Mjolnir + Gungnir), there is zero reason not to use balanced inputs and outputs. You get more voltage and current output as well as less outside interference and crosstalk.

Now most manufacturers don't bother with designing balanced circuits because they're tricky to design, require specialized connectors, and the double parts volume/cost is prohibitive for both the manufacturer and consumer.

I wouldn't go out of your way to get balanced equipment but I see little reason to not use it when the option is provided. Even if its just so you get to use XLR instead of TRS.

Mistake

Gold Member
So I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-1ADAC's and I think they're pretty solid. However they don't have a remote on any of the audio cables for when I go out. Can someone recommend me a good double ended stereo jack? So far all I see are beats with mixed reviews, and the remote part seems close to the face

Man, I feel so happy to see so many gaffers owning Schiit products. Those guys deserve all the praise.

In case you don't know, this year they will be introducing their first speakers pre & amps, and Jason (one of the founders and the guy that design all the analog stuff) said the new topology developed clearly surpasses all their older designs, both from a measurement & listening (perceived AQ) point of view.

He says people & competitors will be shocked at the prices too (aka, they will not cost you a kidney).

Iacobellis

Man, I feel so happy to see so many gaffers owning Schiit products. Those guys deserve all the praise.

In case you don't know, this year they will be introducing their first speakers pre & amps, and Jason (one of the founders and the guy that design all the analog stuff) said the new topology developed clearly surpasses all their older designs, both from a measurement & listening (perceived AQ) point of view.

He says people & competitors will be shocked at the prices too (aka, they will not cost you a kidney).

Will this same technology make way to potential successors of current products? Wondering if I should hold off for now.

Will this same technology make way to potential successors of current products? Wondering if I should hold off for now.

No, you can pull the trigger right now. Jason has said several times in this Schiit thread at Headfi that we'll not see any new iterations for existing products, for example, there is no chance to see an Asgard 3. That's because any further modifications would lead to an entire new product.

However, when commenting about this new amp topology, Jason said it can be easily stretched from power amps to headphone amps. So, I think it's pretty safe to asume in the future we'll see new headphone amps that will use the new design.

In fact he said they're toying with new ideas for future desktop products.

With a remote too! Haha I know a lot of people have been clamoring for that.

Looking forward to see what comes out of the Schiit Show this year. Supposed to have a new product that nobody knows about what it's supposed to do as well.

Looking forward to see what comes out of the Schiit Show this year. Supposed to have a new product that nobody knows about what it's supposed to do as well.

Jason already confirmed those new amps will have a remote :D

And yeah, that new product is internally called Manhattan Project, so far we know it's digital and according to Mike Moffat (the other founder) represents a new kind of device never seen before, ever.

He mentioned the idea came when he was very young and was in a bluegrass band. He wondered why older instruments sound much better than new ones.

Personally, I think it's some kind of DSP device placed between the digital source and the DAC, but what kind of DSP is applied to the signal, I don't have a single clue. I'm really really curious to know what the hell they are cooking.

Jason already confirmed those new amps will have a remote :D

And yeah, that new product is internally called Manhattan Project, so far we know it's digital and according to Mike Moffat (the other founder) represents a new kind of device never seen before, ever.

He mentioned the idea came when he was very young and was in a bluegrass band. He wondered why older instruments sound much better than new ones.

Personally, I think it's some kind of DSP device placed between the digital source and the DAC, but what kind of DSP is applied to the signal, I don't have a single clue. I'm really really curious to know what the hell they are cooking.

Yep, really excited to see what it is finally.

Iacobellis

When does the Schiit Show (haha!) usually occur? I'm totally new to the audio space.

Xander51

So I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-1ADAC's and I think they're pretty solid. However they don't have a remote on any of the audio cables for when I go out. Can someone recommend me a good double ended stereo jack? So far all I see are beats with mixed reviews, and the remote part seems close to the face

I'm honestly not sure if a 4-pole connector will actually route audio properly to the 1ADAC, as that port was designed for a 3-pole connector. Have you read of others successfully using a remote-style cable with them? Because I've got a pair of 1ADACs myself and would be interesting in hearing your findings. I always assumed it wouldn't work.

EDIT: Ah, I see you're looking for a double-ended jack. Do you mean to use some kind of adapter between the headphones and the cable? I mostly use the 1ADAC when I want to take full advantage of the DAC inside through a digital connection. Seems like Sony's other headphones are much better for out and about phone use, IMO.

Mistake

Gold Member
I'm honestly not sure if a 4-pole connector will actually route audio properly to the 1ADAC, as that port was designed for a 3-pole connector. Have you read of others successfully using a remote-style cable with them? Because I've got a pair of 1ADACs myself and would be interesting in hearing your findings. I always assumed it wouldn't work.

EDIT: Ah, I see you're looking for a double-ended jack. Do you mean to use some kind of adapter between the headphones and the cable? I mostly use the 1ADAC when I want to take full advantage of the DAC inside through a digital connection. Seems like Sony's other headphones are much better for out and about phone use, IMO.
I meant that I was looking for something like the beats remote talk cable, but the reviews on them are mixed. I would also prefer utilizing the DAC, but sometimes I want the convenience of the remote for changing songs and saving my home button from wear and tear. So I guess the ideal solution would be to have the lightening to digital cable which is included, but with a remote. Once iphone 7 gets released, maybe I'll be able to find it. I do a lot of commuting on the subway and a bit of traveling, which is why I bought them.

Anyway, what I did for now was say screw it and bought the beats remote talk cable. The long end didn't fit in the headphones, so I took some scissors and circumcised them. Also, there doesn't seem to be a clear way to use the dac with pc unless you use high end player or vox, so I might still have to buy another dac/amp when gaming

Xander51

I meant that I was looking for something like the beats remote talk cable, but the reviews on them are mixed. I would also prefer utilizing the DAC, but sometimes I want the convenience of the remote for changing songs and saving my home button from wear and tear. So I guess the ideal solution would be to have the lightening to digital cable which is included, but with a remote. Once iphone 7 gets released, maybe I'll be able to find it. I do a lot of commuting on the subway and a bit of traveling, which is why I bought them.

Anyway, what I did for now was say screw it and bought the beats remote talk cable. The long end didn't fit in the headphones, so I took some scissors and circumcised them. Also, there doesn't seem to be a clear way to use the dac with pc unless you use high end player or vox, so I might still have to buy another dac/amp when gaming

There's a sound driver for using the DAC on PC, but it's a little bit tricky to find, especially on Sony's US site. You use a standard USB cable with the "PC/Charge" port. The manual says you shouldn't need a driver, but on Windows you totally do. I've used it for everything and it works great.

Here's a link to the driver on the UK site, which is easier to find. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dna/driver-portable/MDR-1ADAC

Even though it says it only works on Windows 7/8, it works great for me on Windows 10.

Haroon

Just a heads up for people that are into bass. The V-Moda M100 is fantastic once you EQ up the bass. Really awesome for video games, and albums like Hold Your Colour by Pendulum.

Edit: I just noticed the wire that connects to the headphone is vibrating from the amount of bass being produced by these headphones.

Top Bottom