• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

phoenixyz

Hi everyone.
I have a question: I would really like to use my Sennheiser HD650 this summer to listen to some music outdoors. So I am looking for either a portable Amp/DAC (compatible with Android) or an All-In-One-Player. Any recommendations for a tight budget?

Hello, guys.

Can any of you recommend me great wireless earphones (price not an issue)? Not impressed with the Jaybird X2s, so if there's better out there, I'd love to know about them.

Thanks!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Never thought I'd say this, but man does EQing improve the Oppo PM-3s. I've many times mentioned here how underwhelmed I am with them, they just sound really flat, with very modest bass and a bit fatiguing sound on higher volumes.

Well, I read today somewhere on Inner Fidelity that the PM-3s actually respond well to EQing. Since I'm travelling (PM-3s are my travel headset), I could only test the defaults on my iPad - absolute night and day. Even the crude 'Bass booster' works magic, dampening the piercing trebles and allowing the available power to be funneled to the lacking low end.

Suddenly the PM-3s became a much more pleasant, richer experience. Still doesn't fix the shallow soundstage, but a massive improvement anyway.

I wonder if there is a way to create a manual EQ curve for Apple Music on iOS...?

Never thought I'd say this, but man does EQing improve the Oppo PM-3s. I've many times mentioned here how underwhelmed I am with them, they just sound really flat, with very modest bass and a bit fatiguing sound on higher volumes.

Well, I read today somewhere on Inner Fidelity that the PM-3s actually respond well to EQing. Since I'm travelling (PM-3s are my travel headset), I could only test the defaults on my iPad - absolute night and day. Even the crude 'Bass booster' works magic, dampening the piercing trebles and allowing the available power to be funneled to the lacking low end.

Suddenly the PM-3s became a much more pleasant, richer experience. Still doesn't fix the shallow soundstage, but a massive improvement anyway.

I wonder if there is a way to create a manual EQ curve for Apple Music on iOS...?

That's really cool. My main issue when I had them was the soundstage, I actually felt the bass was pretty good. Very congested sounding though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Any opinions on HE-1000 vs HD-800(S)?

I really like TH-600s which have great bass and soundstage, so I've been wondering whether HE-1000s would be a good path up.

Both are on Inner Fidelity wall of fame. Kinda tempted reading about HE-1000s bass, slight softness, yet clear and crisp sound, but worried about soundstage and whether it's too soft.

I really like TH-600s which have great bass and soundstage, so I've been wondering whether HE-1000s would be a good path up.

Both are on Inner Fidelity wall of fame. Kinda tempted reading about HE-1000s bass, slight softness, yet clear and crisp sound, but worried about soundstage and whether it's too soft.

If you like bass the 1000's are good. I liked the time I spent with them but still chose to keep my HD800 as the sound signature of the Senn is more to my liking.

Miceblue wrote a really detailed review (and video review) of the HE1000:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones..._written_and_video_review_for_hifiman_he1000/

and also did a great comparison against the Stax 2170 system. Really worth a read if you're interested in dropping some fat stacks on the HE1K. FWIW, I thought the HE1K was a really impressive sounding phone, but the overall experience (fit, comfort, performance) didn't really compel me to actually want to own it at any point in time.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend a pair of IEMs for around $100? I'm currently interested in these:

- Shure SE 215 - recently tried another pair of shure's and really liked their design, comfort and noise isolation.
- Sennheiser M2Iei Momentum
- RHA MA750
- HiFiMAN RE-400

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any other suggestions are welcome.

Can anyone recommend a pair of IEMs for around $100? I'm currently interested in these:

- Shure SE 215 - recently tried another pair of shure's and really liked their design, comfort and noise isolation.
- Sennheiser M2Iei Momentum
- RHA MA750
- HiFiMAN RE-400

Any help would be greatly appreciated and any other suggestions are welcome.

What kind of sound signature are you looking for? The se215 is kind of bass heavy while the re-400 is more neutral.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
What kind of sound signature are you looking for? The se215 is kind of bass heavy while the re-400 is more neutral.

Well right now I have a set of Soundmagic E10 which are pretty coloured and sound V-shaped? Looking for a more detailed headphone with wider soundstage and better separation, but don't want to spend too much. I don't mind a lot of bass if it is well controlled and doesn't bleed too much into the mid range.

HiResDes

Well right now I have a set of Soundmagic E10 which are pretty coloured and sound V-shaped? Looking for a more detailed headphone with wider soundstage and better separation, but don't want to spend too much. I don't mind a lot of bass if it is well controlled and doesn't bleed too much into the mid range.
Without a doubt I'd recommend these then at that price range - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MELYOIW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or Ostry Kc06a

Chittagong

Gold Member
If you like bass the 1000's are good. I liked the time I spent with them but still chose to keep my HD800 as the sound signature of the Senn is more to my liking.

Miceblue wrote a really detailed review (and video review) of the HE1000:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones..._written_and_video_review_for_hifiman_he1000/

and also did a great comparison against the Stax 2170 system. Really worth a read if you're interested in dropping some fat stacks on the HE1K. FWIW, I thought the HE1K was a really impressive sounding phone, but the overall experience (fit, comfort, performance) didn't really compel me to actually want to own it at any point in time.

Fantastic, thanks for this. Spent a lot of time of reading all possible reviews and comparisons I could find, and I am fairly confident that HE-1000s are closest to what I'm looking for. Each headphone comes with compromises, but based on what I read, HE-1000s compromise on the things I am not super worried about (analytical sound, mids), and excel in things I love (bass, soundstage, clarity).

linkboy

Hello, guys.

Can any of you recommend me great wireless earphones (price not an issue)? Not impressed with the Jaybird X2s, so if there's better out there, I'd love to know about them.

Thanks!

I think we're still a few years away from truly wireless headphones like the new Samsung's or the Dash fully taking off.

As for bluetooth, I use the LG Tone Pro's.

I've had these for about 6 months now and outside of not really being that workout friendly, I love them. Good sound quality for bluetooth, good battery life and they're really comfortable.

LG Tone Infinim

New-LG-Tone-Infinim-HBS-900-Neckband-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset-Harmon-Kardon.jpg

I just recently picked up a pair of these for working out. They're IPX rated and the band doesn't bounce around like the other Tone Pros do.

Mr_Moogle

Just got my first decent set of headphones. I decided to import some Sony MDR MA900's from Japan.

I was on the verge of buying the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X as it would have been $50 cheaper but I went with the Sony instead. Reviews suggest they are a bit better as an all-rounder. I play a lot of games but I do want to make too many sacrifices and it sounds like the Audio Technica's we're a bit bass light.

Anyone else rocking MA900's? My current motherboard has Realtek ALC892 codec. Will this be okay for these headphones or should I start looking for DAC's, Soundcards etc?

HiResDes

Thanks for the suggestion. I was already looking for these, but could only find the Bass Edition here in the UK. With a bit more digging, it seems that most people order them from LendMeUREars.

I guess the classic edition would be better than the bass edition, for me anyway.
Classic was just cheaper, but the bass edition is pretty much the definitive edition not all that bassy at all. The ostry would suit your signature well too if you want to save some money.

my6765490

Just got my first decent set of headphones. I decided to import some Sony MDR MA900's from Japan.

I was on the verge of buying the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X as it would have been $50 cheaper but I went with the Sony instead. Reviews suggest they are a bit better as an all-rounder. I play a lot of games but I do want to make too many sacrifices and it sounds like the Audio Technica's we're a bit bass light.

Anyone else rocking MA900's? My current motherboard has Realtek ALC892 codec. Will this be okay for these headphones or should I start looking for DAC's, Soundcards etc?

FYI, MA900's aren't exactly known for awesome bass response either:

index.php

HiResDes

They don't have strong bass but the midbass is pretty decent and they indeed are pretty good all arounders. Slightly more bass than 598

Mr_Moogle

FYI, MA900's aren't exactly known for awesome bass response either:

index.php

Well I've been wanting open back headphones and most of those models in my budget aren't known for their bass response anyway. It was more that the reviews led me to believe the Sony's would be a slightly better all rounder than the Audio Technica's which have better trebles but are lacking a low end. As far as positional audio goes, the MA900's are largely considered to be equal to or better than the AD700X so it was really just a matter of whether I was willing to pay a little more.

Fantastic, thanks for this. Spent a lot of time of reading all possible reviews and comparisons I could find, and I am fairly confident that HE-1000s are closest to what I'm looking for. Each headphone comes with compromises, but based on what I read, HE-1000s compromise on the things I am not super worried about (analytical sound, mids), and excel in things I love (bass, soundstage, clarity).

What will you be using to power it out of curiosity.

Chittagong

Gold Member
What will you be using to power it out of curiosity.

Here's the full chain, it'll come to our new flat which has a Crestron system and Mirage box integrated:

Autonomic Mirage media server --- [RJ45] --- Crestron distribution matrix --- [SPDIF] --- Schiit Yggdrasil --- [XLR] --- Schiit Ragnarok --- [XLR] --- HiFiMAN HE-1000

Discovering this thread has cost me a lot :D

Here's the full chain, it'll come to our new flat which has a Crestron system and Mirage box integrated:

Autonomic Mirage media server --- [RJ45] --- Crestron distribution matrix --- [SPDIF] --- Schiit Yggdrasil --- [XLR] --- Schiit Ragnarok --- [XLR] --- HiFiMAN HE-1000

Discovering this thread has cost me a lot :D

Very cool. Schiit gear is awesome. Last year I had to decide between Schiit or Violectric for my stack. I went with the latter. Take a good long while to enjoy your gear chasing the mystical sound Unicorn leads to heartbreak.

Xander51

Take a good long while to enjoy your gear chasing the mystical sound Unicorn leads to heartbreak.

This is the best advice in the world for true audio enjoyment, seriously. I've been repeatedly guilty of never spending time actually, properly using the gear I've collected. It's crazy.

I've been trying to remedy that by forcing myself to just sit with headphones on and really listen to music for a dedicated amount of time each day.

This is the best advice in the world for true audio enjoyment, seriously. I've been repeatedly guilty of never spending time actually, properly using the gear I've collected. It's crazy.

I've been trying to remedy that by forcing myself to just sit with headphones on and really listen to music for a dedicated amount of time each day.

I always tell people that if they enjoy what they have don't go purchasing more expensive shit. Very few people actually have music as a hobby. I can safely say that music is my main hobby after spending over 20 years in dedicated hi-fi audio. At the end of the day I listen to music on equipment that costs more than a sane person would spend on a car. My girlfriend loves streaming music on basic Bluetooth speakers... I envy and am jealous of her.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I always tell people that if they enjoy what they have don't go purchasing more expensive shit.

Yeah that's why I went with Schiit. Sure it's their most expensive models, but still compared to a lot of stuff in the market it's in the more sane end of things.

Fortunately I'm also able to enjoy my TH-600s and Asgard/Bifrost stack in the office, and Oppo PM-3/HA-2 on the go.

I think those are as good as I'll ever need.

DagsJT

After some consideration (and my wife suggesting I need to clear my credit card right down), I've determined I'm not getting anywhere near my money's worth out of my HD650's, Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2. So I'm thinking of selling them and buying a pair of cheap headphones instead.

So first question, would £350 collected sound about right for the HD650's and the Schiit gear?

Second part, I really don't get too much time at all to listen to music, play games or watch media on my PC. Maybe ... 3 hours a week total where I might use my headphones. So I'm going to sell the kit mentioned above and get some headphones which are decent enough but not expensive and will work off onboard sound, or at least a cheap soundcard.

So second question, any recommended cheap headphones that will work okay from my onboard sound? The system board is an MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming board, with SoundBlaster Cinema and I believe it has a Realtek chipset. I've previously had Samson SR850's and they sounded decent for the price, is there anything better around the same price? Any other suggestions?

my6765490

Anybody here interested in getting Headphones/IEMs? I have six pairs of headphones (and some other IEMs) right now and need to prune it down a bit, willing to trade for DACs...PM me for list of stuff.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anybody here interested in getting Headphones/IEMs? I have six pairs of headphones (and some other IEMs) right now and need to prune it down a bit, willing to trade for DACs...

Brb reading your mind for list of what you have.

After some consideration (and my wife suggesting I need to clear my credit card right down), I've determined I'm not getting anywhere near my money's worth out of my HD650's, Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2. So I'm thinking of selling them and buying a pair of cheap headphones instead.

So first question, would £350 collected sound about right for the HD650's and the Schiit gear?

Second part, I really don't get too much time at all to listen to music, play games or watch media on my PC. Maybe ... 3 hours a week total where I might use my headphones. So I'm going to sell the kit mentioned above and get some headphones which are decent enough but not expensive and will work off onboard sound, or at least a cheap soundcard.

So second question, any recommended cheap headphones that will work okay from my onboard sound? The system board is an MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming board, with SoundBlaster Cinema and I believe it has a Realtek chipset. I've previously had Samson SR850's and they sounded decent for the price, is there anything better around the same price? Any other suggestions?

I can't see you getting enough money back to cover the loss, so to speak. I would hang on to the gear, at least the schiit gear. Even if you're using it 3 hours a week it's still on pretty good gear and the schiit stack will power damn near anything. And you can use the uber with your consoles. I ended up with a bifrost and a Valhalla 2 and attached my Magni 2 and Modi 2 to my PS3 so I can watch movies with headphones on.

It may be worth selling the 650s but I would suggest keeping the rig.

Probably like an uncoloured solid state amp, at which point what's the point of getting a tube amp?

I can get a Lyr 2 used for $450 CAD now, which is basically the same price I would have to pay for an O2/ODAC. And I really hate dealing with replacing tubs periodically...

I can get a Lyr 2 used for $450 CAD now, which is basically the same price I would have to pay for an O2/ODAC. And I really hate dealing with replacing tubs periodically...

Replacing tubes, depending on how much you use them, can be a thing only done every few years. They can typically last for up to 5000 hours for new tubes.

max_505

I'll be buying a new DAP in a few weeks since my iPod Classic's dying already, so I have no more need for iTunes. Any good, free Mac programs out there that does what iTunes does?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I think I'm going to finally get a DAP myself, Spotify streaming drains my phone's battery too quickly.

Last one I owned was probably the original Creative Zen Vision:M. Been a while.

HiResDes

I think I'm going to finally get a DAP myself, Spotify streaming drains my phone's battery too quickly.

Last one I owned was probably the original Creative Zen Vision:M. Been a while.
Just got an X1 for fifty bucks coming can give impressions soon.

LQX

I like my X1 for what it does. I use that and my Momentums whenever I'm out and about.

My Bifrost 4490 arrived today. My end game rig for my HD650 is now complete for now.

Honestly, how does that Bitfrost compare to the Modi 2? Can you discern a $300 plus difference?

Top Bottom