• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Tommy DJ

Going on-ear made zero sense, when the competition for it is all from over-ear models.

Will be shocked if the inevitable Sine 2 doesn't have large ear cups.

It's meant to be a portable set that is run out of your phone. A lot of portable headphones are still using on-ear designs.

The bigger problem is that it's goddamn heavy like every Audeze headphone.

Xander51

Note that I know virtually nothing about headphones, I just hate ones where the bass overpowers everything else, like how the laptop I have was supposedly tuned for "powerful sound", but in reality it makes every song sound like a series of explosions with a constant rumbling in the background. If the D2000s have big bass then I'll take your word for it, they sounded way clearer than everything else I tried back when I bought them. I guess that makes it easier since I'm not being as fussy as I thought.

You mentioned wanting comfort...definitely check out the Sony MDR-1A. They are in your price range on Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N3WWG4U/

Emu-teak (Foster variant) will be getting 2.5mm detachable cables in November for approximately $50 extra.

So for $499 you get your choice of Teak, Rosewood or Ebony with detachable cables for the same price as the Fostex thx00 ebony if the $50 extra holds true. That plus the stronger magnets used in the Emu is going to make it look real nice next to the Fostex competition.

Ran rp

How much does tightness affect sound quality? I get the feeling that a big reason no other headset I buy matches my CAD MH310s is because other cans don't seal around the ear nearly as tightly as the 310s.

PSY・S;212650479 said:
How much does tightness affect sound quality? I get the feeling that a big reason no other headset I buy matches my CAD MH310s is because other cans don't seal around the ear nearly as tightly as the 310s.

Breaking the seal even on open headphones can drastically change the sound.

Xander51

It's meant to be a portable set that is run out of your phone. A lot of portable headphones are still using on-ear designs.

The bigger problem is that it's goddamn heavy like every Audeze headphone.

The weight is precisely what turned me away from it. I liked everything else about it, but on-ear headphones are already less comfy than most other designs, and I like headphones I can wear for a long time.

HiResDes

PSY・S;212730684 said:
I see. Thanks. Does anyone know of any good self-adjusting, closed-back, over-ear headphones with a detachable cable ≤ $100?

Not self-adjusting, but these would be good choices:

All are a bit more neutral than the CADs though, NVX XPT100 or KRK KNS8400 or Koss Pro DJ200

Ran rp

Koss Pro DJ200

I have these. They're a good backup set but bass and isolation are lacking compared to the 310s. The bass in particular seems muddier and it's harder to discern what I'm hearing. I also seem to experience fatigue faster with them. I'll check out the other two.

After much frustration and far more sanding that I wanted, I got my ebony cups on my X00s.

7vjwCl5.png

U6zs93T.png
Couple of cosmetic blemishes on the edges of the cups because of my handiwork, but I conveniently took pictures where they didn't show.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, showing the grain of the wood more definitely makes it look more appealing than the photos massdrop posted.

Sound impressions?

Early impressions with the ebony cups, listening to the Fez soundtrack on vinyl via a Schiit Vali 2 and Death Cab for Cutie's Kintsugi from my Nexus 6P > FiiO Q1:

Bass extension seems a bit better. There is some great sub-bass on Fez that is definitely more prominent after the cup change. Kintsugi has some treble-y percussion like wood blocks that also seem much clearer after the cup change. These improvements might have come at the cost of sliiiightly more recessed mids, but I'm not even certain of that yet. Overall I like the sound much more! Really excited to keep listening today.

Antiwhippy

Got some forza audioworks cables coming in. Don't really care about sound of cables blah blah blah, but I've been looking for a cable that looks nice and the L shaped plugs to connect to the iems look great. I always wondered why L shaped plugs aren't as widely used as the straight ones that seriously stick out.

So I'm going on a trip. I plan to bring a Schiit Fulla with me. I don't have a laptop though so I want to connect to my Nexus 6p so I can stream tidal.

Never done this before with a phone. How do I go about this?

Antiwhippy

Pretty sure the fulla doesn't do OTG for phones?

Looking it up you basically need to connect it through another power source?

Pretty sure the fulla doesn't do OTG for phones?

Looking it up you basically need to connect it through another power source?

According to this http://schiit.com/guides/getting-connected

It should work. It's also listed as compatible with Android phones of the Fulla product page. I'm just not sure if the Nexus 6p is one of the Android phones that can supply enough power on its own or not. Google mostly turned up different phones when i tried searching.

Xander51

According to this http://schiit.com/guides/getting-connected

It should work. It's also listed as compatible with Android phones of the Fulla product page. I'm just not sure if the Nexus 6p is one of the Android phones that can supply enough power on its own or not. Google mostly turned up different phones when i tried searching.

Many DACs designed for phone use have their own internal rechargeable battery to get around the power draw problem. My hunch is that the Fulla won't work properly with the 6P, and even if it does you're going to see your battery drain go up. Hopefully you'll be able to prove me wrong, as I'm just going off a hunch from my own experience with other devices. But that page you linked keeps listing powered USB hubs over and over.

I use a SoundBlaster E1 for this purpose.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ordered a Modmic from Amazon. Opened box. Received a cheese slicer. Been mindfucked ever since.

It's a nice ass pinkie finger in the air slicer too. But how the fuck?

What's the general consensus on buying discontinued headphones? Worth it?

I don't understand why it'd be an issue for you.

derder

Anyone have experience with Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 with Active Noise Cancellation? I need active noise cancellation and aptX... and foldable... so I think its really my only option.

Seems like I can pick it up on Amazon for $288 used.

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
After a long wait, LH finally shipped my Geek Out V2+ Infinity. And to me it sounds better than the V2, which I will be shipping back as part of an upgrade agreement.

However unlike the V2, the V2+ Infinity can't run off of USB power so I have to keep charging until it powers on again use it then, while charging. Its a really good sounding dac, and its getting more listening time compared to My FiiO X7, Concero HP and Micro iDSD! If it could run off of USB power like its little brother it would be one of the best DACs in the <1000 dollar category imo!

-MB-

Anyone here who lives in either China of Hong Kong, who wants to check a Xiaomi Piston QR verification url? Apparently it doesnt seem to load for non Chinese ip adresses, and I want to know if my fresh new set of pistons are legit.

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
Wait, how long does the battery lasts?

Dunno, haven't done a full charge yet and it didn't come with a printed manual like my V2 and the link to the online manual leads to a page that says manual isn't ready yet lol.

The V2+ Infinity looks amazing tho, feels nice and hefty in the hands.

rg6zRHe.jpg

RCSI-phunk

Neo Member
Fidelio X1 still wasn't worth selling, Pioneer HDJ2000, Sony MDRMA900

I love my MA900 to bits, the one can I will never get rid of <3

Got a second hand HD600 a couple days ago and Im in heaven. Thing is a legend for a reason, won't part with that one either.

So I'm looking to grab some wireless Bluetooth headphones for when I play basketball and run, I'm looking at the powerbeats 2 wireless(really like the design for sporting activities) but there a lot of reviews saying they stop working shortly after purchase as well as beats being on the expensive side.

Any suggestions?

Blitzhex

After much frustration and far more sanding that I wanted, I got my ebony cups on my X00s.

Couple of cosmetic blemishes on the edges of the cups because of my handiwork, but I conveniently took pictures where they didn't show.

Are those lawtons or EMu cups? They look amazing.
I've only customized my x00s with alpha pads. Just amazing, can't go back to the normal pads ever again.

Xander51

So I'm looking to grab some wireless Bluetooth headphones for when I play basketball and run, I'm looking at the powerbeats 2 wireless(really like the design for sporting activities) but there a lot of reviews saying they stop working shortly after purchase as well as beats being on the expensive side.

Any suggestions?

If you're in the US, Best Buy has a big discount on the Powerbeats 2. Down to 139.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-b...-red/5565002.p?id=1219139426902&skuId=5565002

You might also try checking out the new Bose Soundsport wireless. They don't have the over-ear hook, but I personally think that Bose makes the most comfy IEM ear tips that aren't a separate purchase.

The wireless IEM market isn't huge sadly.

Are those lawtons or EMu cups? They look amazing.
I've only customized my x00s with alpha pads. Just amazing, can't go back to the normal pads ever again.

They're E-MU cups. I've seen most folks get the same ones and pop them on no problem, and one other person have the same issue I had where they required extensive modification to fit.

I might grab some alpha pads too. Are they softer? I love the shape of the stock pads but they're a bit too stiff for my taste. I put on extra padding for the headband too, as you can see in the pictures, so I guess I have a delicate head!

Cable Recommendations?

Any recommendations for a cable to replace the one that came with my Fidelio X2's? The stock cable is just too long and I'm getting all caught up in it when I'm gaming. And perhaps one that doesn't make noticeable noise when it rubs up against something. The braided sheath on the stock cable seemed great at first, but anytime it rubs, I hear it. Tends to take me out of the experience of anything I'm using the headphones for.

Antiwhippy

Give forza audioworks a look. I've got an IEM cable coming in from them and their prices are generally pretty ok, especially the colour series.

Xander51

How do I use Bose QC35 Noise Cancelling with Wired mode?

Just plug in the included cable and then flick on the power switch. The noise cancelling will turn on but the Bluetooth transmitter won't. You won't hear the voice that tells you how much battery is left, but you will hear the noise cancelling click on. The battery lasts about twice as long in wired mode. They'll also work wired without the switch turned on, but you won't get any noise cancelling or audio processing.

Waikis

Maximum excite, got this shipping update today:

Noice, very surprised it's on back order since it seems to be readily available in Aus last I checked. What are you using it with? graduated from oppo I imagine?

also, thanks to anti whippy for the asg 2.5 recommendation a while back. Very amazing performance for an iem. Fullly open bass port is literally unusable though.Literally. Such a bass cannon.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Noice, very surprised it's on back order since it seems to be readily available in Aus last I checked. What are you using it with? graduated from oppo I imagine?

Haha, yeah, Oppo PM-3 and HA-2 are just my travel setup. Office setup is Fostex TH-600 with Aasgard/Bifrost. Abd currently at home I have AKG 712s for gaming.

But for the new rig I have bought a pair of HE1000s, and have resisted the urge to ise them with lesser kit.

Crazy long lead times, I ordered my Yggdrasils and Ragnarok in June.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Anyone recognise all the Schiit on the shelf here?

IMG_5176-1024x741.jpg

I can spot a Ragnarok, possibly a Gungnir, but I have no idea what that Mjolnir-shaped device with three XLR jacks might be...?

Waikis

Haha, yeah, Oppo PM-3 and HA-2 are just my travel setup. Office setup is Fostex TH-600 with Aasgard/Bifrost. Abd currently at home I have AKG 712s for gaming.

But for the new rig I have bought a pair of HE1000s, and have resisted the urge to ise them with lesser kit.

Crazy long lead times, I ordered my Yggdrasils and Ragnarok in June.

Not going to wait for he1000 v2?

Tommy DJ

I can spot a Ragnarok, possibly a Gungnir, but I have no idea what that Mjolnir-shaped device with three XLR jacks might be...?

Mjolnir 1. It had two 3x pin XLR outputs and one 4x pin XLR output because balanced headphones used to use a kludgy two plug 3x pin XLR solution.

Tommy DJ

There's a new revision of the HE1000 announced but who knows if its your typical audiophile cashgrab (the timing behind the Ether Flow revision, the Sennheiser HD800S, maybe this because the Hifiman Edition X is like half a year old) or an actual serious revision that makes the HE1000 less soft sounding. Because that's basically the only serious problem I think anyone would have with it right now.

The changes of note in Hifiman's press release:
  • The weight of the HE1000 V2 has been reduced to 420g (14.8oz).
  • Beveled ear pads are thicker with a larger asymmetrical angle to yield better bass and improved sound stage. Unless Hifiman are dogs and purposely change the mounting mechanism, you can just shove V2 earpads onto the V1.
  • The company&#8217;s flagship will now come standard with a three-core cable for improved sound quality. WHO CARES.
  • The newly updated HE1000 V2 also changes the ear pad material from Velour to Polyester to increase sound transparency and resolution.
  • New window shade grill system for more openess in the soundstage. Assuming the fit is the same between V1 and V2, you can just buy the grill as a spare part and install it yourself.
There's no specific mention towards a full scale tuning adjustment so I have to assume that any changes to the sound signature will be due to earpad and grill changes. Even if there is a full scale tuning adjustment, it doesn't mean the revision sound better...we only have to look at the Beyerdynamic T1v1 vs T1v2.

MSRP of the V2 will be $3,000 USD so a whole $600 USD price premium over the current Amazon price of the V1. Its probably worth waiting just to see what they've done to the V2 and see if that pushes the price of the V1 down.

Top Bottom