• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, with the focal stuff on the scene in not sure if I'll be down with paying that much for typical hifiman build quality.

Chittagong

Gold Member
There's a new revision of the HE1000 announced but who knows if its your typical audiophile cashgrab (the timing behind the Ether Flow revision, the Sennheiser HD800S, maybe this because the Hifiman Edition X is like half a year old) or an actual serious revision that makes the HE1000 less soft sounding. Because that's basically the only serious problem I think anyone would have with it right now.

The changes of note in Hifiman's press release:
  • The weight of the HE1000 V2 has been reduced to 420g (14.8oz).
  • Beveled ear pads are thicker with a larger asymmetrical angle to yield better bass and improved sound stage. Unless Hifiman are dogs and purposely change the mounting mechanism, you can just shove V2 earpads onto the V1.
  • The company’s flagship will now come standard with a three-core cable for improved sound quality. WHO CARES.
  • The newly updated HE1000 V2 also changes the ear pad material from Velour to Polyester to increase sound transparency and resolution.
  • New window shade grill system for more openess in the soundstage. Assuming the fit is the same between V1 and V2, you can just buy the grill as a spare part and install it yourself.
There's no specific mention towards a full scale tuning adjustment so I have to assume that any changes to the sound signature will be due to earpad and grill changes. Even if there is a full scale tuning adjustment, it doesn't mean the revision sound better...we only have to look at the Beyerdynamic T1v1 vs T1v2.

MSRP of the V2 will be $3,000 USD so a whole $600 USD price premium over the current Amazon price of the V1. Its probably worth waiting just to see what they've done to the V2 and see if that pushes the price of the V1 down.

Thanks! Well, damn. I just got my V1s a month ago. Fortunately those changes don't sound too drastic to me. Besides, the softness was the draw for me anyway as if I wanted sharpness I would just go HD800s. And V1 soundstage should still be good, right?

Chittagong

Gold Member
2BbCpbq.jpg

Finally got my Bifrost today for my office setup - now Asgard 2, Bifrost and Fostex TH-600s, fed over optical out from the iMac.

Couldn't really hear a difference A/B testing Optical and USB for Bifrost, so I went Optical because of superstition (Schiit guys like it more) and to save a jack.

I've been previously running the Asgard 2 off a Modi 2 USB as I have been pretty sceptical about the difference a better DAC can make. I rather invested to an upgrade from my Magni to Asgard 2, as I thought amp would do most of the work.

Holy shit have I ever been wrong. The sound is much more pleasant, fuller and weirdly softer (in a good way, as in, a bit less harsh). Not a night and day difference, and not necessarily one to justify an upgrade, but enough of a difference to make me happy I got it.

2BbCpbq.jpg

Finally got my Bifrost today for my office setup - now Asgard 2, Bifrost and Fostex TH-600s, fed over optical out from the iMac.

Couldn't really hear a difference A/B testing Optical and USB for Bifrost, so I went Optical because of superstition (Schiit guys like it more) and to save a jack.

I've been previously running the Asgard 2 off a Modi 2 USB as I have been pretty sceptical about the difference a better DAC can make. I rather invested to an upgrade from my Magni to Asgard 2, as I thought amp would do most of the work.

Holy shit have I ever been wrong. The sound is much more pleasant, fuller and weirdly softer (in a good way, as in, a bit less harsh). Not a night and day difference, and not necessarily one to justify an upgrade, but enough of a difference to make me happy I got it.

4490? I noticed a decent change when coming from the 4396 Modi 2 Uber as well. The 4490 has more bloom in the bass which makes the difference pretty noticeable. I even felt my upgrade from my Modi to Bifrost was more noticeable than the upgrade from my Vali 2 to Valhalla 2 surprisingly.

Chittagong

Gold Member
4490? I noticed a decent change when coming from the 4396 Modi 2 Uber as well. The 4490 has more bloom in the bass which makes the difference pretty noticeable. I even felt my upgrade from my Modi to Bifrost was more noticeable than the upgrade from my Vali 2 to Valhalla 2 surprisingly.

Sorry forgot to mention, Bifrost Multibit. Surprising indeed, and makes me pretty excited about my future Yggdrasil/Ragnarok home rig, whenever they get around shipping it...

Sorry forgot to mention, Bifrost Multibit. Surprising indeed, and makes me pretty excited about my future Yggdrasil/Ragnarok home rig, whenever they get around shipping it...

I really liked my multibit bifrost for the brief time I had it. I sold it in favor of keeping my black 4490 bifrost and the hopes that a new upgrade would become available soon.

Headphone GAF: I'm looking for suggestions for a noise cancelling headphone.

I work at a production company and my trusty ATH-M50X has served me well for the most part but my office doesn't have a door and when our company has shoots over, the noise of everyone moving around is pretty annoying when I have deadlines.

Is there a set of headphones anyone can recommend? I'm not 100 percent sure how they work, I just remember a Bose set my sister had that had to be turned on? If there are sets that can flick a button and remove all the outside noise, that would be even better.

Antiwhippy

Not sure how the exact sound situation is at your office, but noise cancellation is often more effective at blocking out constant drone noises (like day, an airplane) than noises that vary in pitches.

Addnan

Any IEMs like the zero audio carbore tenore, but with better build quality. Just general wear and tear gets to them fairly quickly, but I really love how they sound. similarly priced..

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
So, I got the XL earpads for my V-Moda M100s, and I took off the old earpads and I see earwax on the drivers. How do I clean this off?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Any IEMs like the zero audio carbore tenore, but with better build quality. Just general wear and tear gets to them fairly quickly, but I really love how they sound. similarly priced..

Shozy Zero, Ostry KC06 (or 06A for more bass).

So, I got the XL earpads for my V-Moda M100s, and I took off the old earpads and I see earwax on the drivers. How do I clean this off?

Q-tips?

Antiwhippy

Does the Zero audio have a massive midbass hump? If it doesn't I would say that it sounds nothing like the shozy zero.

leng jai

The Purpleheart drop is turning into a bit of a fiasco judging by the comments on Massdrop. I hope the ones I get don't have a terrible lacquer finish some are claiming.

Kudo

The Purpleheart drop is turning into a bit of a fiasco judging by the comments on Massdrop. I hope the ones I get don't have a terrible lacquer finish some are claiming.

I'm so glad now I didn't drop my mahoganies for them, dodged a bullet.

thuway

GUYS
GUYS
GUYS- the hype is real!!!!!!!!

I modified MY Philips SHP9500 with the Tulon cups and Alpha pads. In a word - these things have transformed. The headphones now have the sound signature of HE500s, the amazing vocals of the Shp9500, and a Soundstage even larger than the Fidelio X2s. The only downside is they have a slight unrefinement to them, and they look ugly as hell.

BUT I LITERALLY CONVERTED MY 50 dollar headphones into something that is quite similar to 400+ dollar headphones. It's blowing my mind. This is the greatest discovery I've made in headphones to date. I am. Legit. Blown. Away.

Cp_eVXcVMAEh6hE.jpg

Cp_eV5KUIAAgUc0.jpg

Cp_eWVzUMAQ834m.jpg

Tommy DJ

For reference, yellow is the stock SHP-9500 and blue is the SHP-9500 with Tulon 3D printed cups and Alpha pads.

lLjG19s.png

Measurements seem useful until 6khz, where there seems to be treble roll off in the measurements.

Its basically a Grado that doesn't use sandpaper for earpads. Make of that what you will.

thuway

BTW Guys I just saw the review Zeos did on the SHP9500s - I can 100% backup what he's saying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET9TWgel7ec

For reference, yellow is the stock SHP-9500 and blue is the SHP-9500 with Tulon 3D printed cups and Alpha pads.

lLjG19s.png

Measurements seem useful until 6khz, where there seems to be treble roll off in the measurements.

Its basically a Grado that doesn't use sandpaper for earpads. Make of that what you will.

I don't know if I'd honestly compare the sound to Grado's. I know the measurements are measurements, and I did a tiny bit of EQing (I know to some people it sounds like a cardinal sin - but sometimes a little EQ goes a long way)- but they legitimately are some of the funnest cans I have EVER heard. The bass is on point, the detail is there, and the soundstage is spectacular. Gaming on it is absolutely heavenly.

Are they the most accurate thing on the planet? Nah, but neither are the X2s. The craziest thing is the sense of detail these things can pull out. I'm legitimately suprised at how good they are in that sense.

Yeah not a big fan of anything too aggressive in that range either, so probably not my cup of tea. Vocals sound shouty to me.

Give it a shot anyway! The headphones are cheap as nails. To me- The vocals come in quite well actually, that's my favorite part of the headphone. They really don't sound like Grados which are sibilant to the point of irritation. Once again YMMV but this is essentially something like the Fidelio X2s on steroids with an HE500 sound signature.

The strangest thing though is - whenever I listen to these guys on a "headphone" amp - it really doesn't do much. They can be powered to near full effect on soemthing as awful as the Vita.

Xander51

The humps in that frequency range seem unpleasant to me, but I'm glad you're excited about them Thuway! It's a headphone I've been curious about for a while since it's cheap, but I don't often find myself in scenarios where open headphones would work.

Tommy DJ

There's nothing wrong with liking them but proclaiming them as being as good as $400 headphones when all they're doing is boosting the mid-bass hump (i.e. creating impact) and creating a 1-2khz peak (hence Grado comment since they do that shit so their $1 drivers sound "hi-fi") is dangerous as hell. Dangerous in that you're giving people Head-Fi/Zeos level of advice.

I mean...if your argument is that they sound detailed, the bass sounds dynamic, and most importantly it sounds fun, you could make an argument that Koss KSC-75s with a $2 headband mod are as good as $200 headphones because they do all of that despite costing only $13 on Amazon right now. But we know that isn't true because more expensive headphones that are competently designed (real rare) improve in smoothness, timbre quality, positioning, decreased distortion, bass extension (not impact), etc. These are still SHP9500 drivers in the SHP9500 enclosure at the end of the day.

What you've found out is not that they're just as good as $400 headphones. You've found a sound signature that you prefer over the Hifiman you presumably own, which are far more linear in in their bass nor have 1-2khz peaks (actually the majority of their headphones have an intentional roll off from 1khz).

leng jai

Seeing a lot of complaints (and pictures) on Head-Fi too. Such a shame, I really like the look of the Purple Hearts.

The mahogany had this issue on some as well. I wonder if the emu cups are better coated.

I'm so glad now I didn't drop my mahoganies for them, dodged a bullet.

Seems like the biggest issue is the bubble wrap leaving marks on the lacquer finish because it wasn't allowed to dry properly.

I'm staggered at how stupid that is, especially when half the selling point of the product is for the cosmetics. Tarnishing the cups with bubble wrap because the lacquer wasn't allowed to set, really?

EDIT: Someone on Headfi finally posted a pic that clearly shows it.

i-WckRgzn.jpg

Embarrassing.

thuway

Fuck Massdrop. Are Fostex really that amazing? I remember I liked the Denon 2000's when i heard them back in 2008, but I didn't ever think they'd have inspired a spiritual successor that could cost up to twice as much without a changable cable.

Blitzhex

Fuck Massdrop. Are Fostex really that amazing? I remember I liked the Denon 2000's when i heard them back in 2008, but I didn't ever think they'd have inspired a spiritual successor that could cost up to twice as much without a changable cable.

I'm done with headphones after the thx00, though they leave me wanting to listen phones with sweater mids.
I've heard oppo pm1s, lcd2, lcd x and other expensive phones and I don't care about spending that much for what they're giving me.
Thx00 fulfill my basic requirements that I've been looking for a while, and that's good enough for me.

derder

Ok GAF, I've think I've settle it down to three options for high quality, bluetooth (aptX) headphones with ANC:

A. Bose QC 35
B. Sennheiser PXC 550
C. Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless with ANC

As far as I can tell they rank in sound quality as:

C, B, A

And Active Noise Cancelation and comfort as:
A, B, C

Just how much worse will the PXC 550 sound than the momentum 2s?

thuway

I'm done with headphones after the thx00, though they leave me wanting to listen phones with sweater mids.
I've heard oppo pm1s, lcd2, lcd x and other expensive phones and I don't care about spending that much for what they're giving me.
Thx00 fulfill my basic requirements that I've been looking for a while, and that's good enough for me.

Hows the sound stage on them? I was going to get the TX00's but the cables are non-removable and for that- I got wet feet. Is there any model that comes close to them that isn't "Massdrop" quality and offers a user replacable cable?

I sold my HD650s this year when I got my Fidelio X2s. Currently I'm in love with my Modded SHP9500s // Fidelio X2s because I can drive them out of a Vita, and they provide a amazing fidelity without dipping my toes into the "amplifier" territory. I'm one of those morons that loves buying big headphones and driving them out of portable sources (Fiio X3 is a beast btw) because I like listening and walking.

Current headphones I'm looking at are:
1) Anything Fostex, still learning
2) HE400s / HE400i
3) AD1000
4) K7XX
5) Anything under 500 that offers something unique / different.

Tommy DJ

All of those headphones...sound completely different. You don't even need to listen to them to know they're wildly different. You really need to figure out what you want exactly or you're just going to sit around in that Mid-Fi purgatory indefinitely.

Hifiman headphones are meant to provide linear bass, not thumpy midbass, which isn't what you want judging by your preferences.

Audio Technica? Forget about it. Same goes with that AKG.

It's why 99% of the time I only care about reviews that provide or reference measurements. Unless I know your listening preferences very well, anyone's impressions outside of stuff like comfort, build quality and ergonomics isnt terribly useful to base expensive purchases off.

Antiwhippy

Got my forza audioworks cable in. Other than the neutrik plug being too big for my phone's case (not a big deal to me), I seriously love it.

So I looked at some of the stuff in the OP, but still can't find what I want. Looking to see options for audiophile headphones in the $60-$80 range that I could combine with a V-Moda Boompro for a total cost of ~$100-$120. Some of the better ones I was looking at are closer to $150, but with the Boompro (and they'd have to be compatible in the first place with a detachable cable) as well I'd want something cheaper. So any suggestions for that?

Otherwise I was looking at getting a new gaming headset, maybe a Steelseries that would be about equivalent in price.

HiResDes

So I looked at some of the stuff in the OP, but still can't find what I want. Looking to see options for audiophile headphones in the $60-$80 range that I could combine with a V-Moda Boompro for a total cost of ~$100-$120. Some of the better ones I was looking at are closer to $150, but with the Boompro (and they'd have to be compatible in the first place with a detachable cable) as well I'd want something cheaper. So any suggestions for that?

Otherwise I was looking at getting a new gaming headset, maybe a Steelseries that would be about equivalent in price.
There aren't many that cheap that are compatible, your best bet are probably a used pair of M-Audio Q40. It isn't enough that the headphones have a detachable cable if the opening is too recessed the cable still won't fit.

Antiwhippy

Seriously, this FAW cable is shockingly free of microphonics. None even when I deliberately rub it against my shirt. Quite amazing really.

Also man why don't more iem manufacturers use L shape plugs? They're so much more ergonomic.

Antiwhippy

I mean you can go ridiculous and get an omega stand for your Bose but yeah, it's a stand. There's not much to it other than looks really.

I use a cup holder fort mine.

sirap

So I've been looking for an upgrade for my aging HD600. I've tested out the HD800 and while the sound-stage blew me away, everything else sounded pretty much equal to my HD600.

Instead of going for something bigger, I decided to look into IEMs instead. Does anybody here have any experience with the Noble Kaiser 10/10u? They're custom made, so getting my hands on them for testing in Malaysia can be difficult.

Antiwhippy

So I've been looking for an upgrade for my aging HD600. I've tested out the HD800 and while the sound-stage blew me away, everything else sounded pretty much equal to my HD600.

Instead of going for something bigger, I decided to look into IEMs instead. Does anybody here have any experience with the Noble Kaiser 10/10u? They're custom made, so getting my hands on them for testing in Malaysia can be difficult.

They're nothing like the hd600.

For something closer give the savanna a listen? Or the mee p1. You have a haven in majestatis right?

Blitzhex

Hows the sound stage on them? I was going to get the TX00's but the cables are non-removable and for that- I got wet feet. Is there any model that comes close to them that isn't "Massdrop" quality and offers a user replacable cable?

I sold my HD650s this year when I got my Fidelio X2s. Currently I'm in love with my Modded SHP9500s // Fidelio X2s because I can drive them out of a Vita, and they provide a amazing fidelity without dipping my toes into the "amplifier" territory. I'm one of those morons that loves buying big headphones and driving them out of portable sources (Fiio X3 is a beast btw) because I like listening and walking.

Current headphones I'm looking at are:
1) Anything Fostex, still learning
2) HE400s / HE400i
3) AD1000
4) K7XX
5) Anything under 500 that offers something unique / different.

TH-610, but the price is crazy. thx00 has a weird soundstage. I've increased mine with alpha pads, depth and positioning of the pads relative to your ear affects soundstage a lot. It isn't as wide as open headphones and isn't as small as closed or most planar phones.

My thx00 complements my k7xx, but I'm too lazy to switch headphones around for games etc usually. All of the ones you've listed are very different. You have to narrow down your needs and demo more headphones.

sirap

They're nothing like the hd600.

For something closer give the savanna a listen? Or the mee p1. You have a haven in majestatis right?

Just read some reviews of the P1 and it looks really promising. I'll see if my local audio shop has some in store.

That said, I'm still interested in getting my hands on the cream of the crop. Back when I was poor I had to save for months to buy the HD600s and now I'm not holding back.

Is there something better than the K10, or are those the top IEMs available?

Antiwhippy

Goddamn at my autocorrect. Meant to ask if you can go visit jaben in malaysia for an audition.

Being honest with you, at some point it's more about the prefered signature than any technicalities. K10 is warmer and thicker than your average BA with a slight hint of sparkle on top. I kinda think the savanna is on equal terms with the K10 when it comes to technicalities, just if you prefer something neutral or something warm.

For thick and warm though my grail is the MH334. Lovely bass, lovely mids, lovely stage presentation, insane price. I'll have it one day though....

If you don't want to hold back you can also have a look at the campfire andromedas, which has been described as the HD600 with a subbass boost, and also has very good detail retrieval.

The P1 is pretty good but there's still that bit of upper midrange grain which holds me back from loving it.

For myself my daily driver is the aurisonics harmony, which is lovely in that it has great bass, great details and with vocal presentation only bested by the MH334 to my ears, but they can be hard to find. Apparently the Fender FXA7 is the spiritual successor to it.

sirap

Goddamn at my autocorrect. Meant to ask if you can go visit jaben in malaysia for an audition.

Being honest with you, at some point it's more about the prefered signature than any technicalities. K10 is warmer and thicker than your average BA with a slight hint of sparkle on top. I kinda think the savanna is on equal terms with the K10 when it comes to technicalities, just if you prefer something neutral or something warm.

For thick and warm though my grail is the MH334. Lovely bass, lovely mids, lovely stage presentation, insane price. I'll have it one day though....

If you don't want to hold back you can also have a look at the campfire andromedas, which has been described as the HD600 with a subbass boost, and also has very good detail retrieval.

The P1 is pretty good but there's still that bit of upper midrange grain which holds me back from loving it.

For myself my daily driver is the aurisonics harmony, which is lovely in that it has great bass, great details and with vocal presentation only bested by the MH334 to my ears, but they can be hard to find. Apparently the Fender FXA7 is the spiritual successor to it.

Thanks for the recommendations! So much has changed since I bought my HD600 and it's overwhelming me :p There's a small Jaben shop in Penang so I'll check that out.

Xander51

Ok GAF, I've think I've settle it down to three options for high quality, bluetooth (aptX) headphones with ANC:

A. Bose QC 35
B. Sennheiser PXC 550
C. Sennheiser Momentum 2 Wireless with ANC

As far as I can tell they rank in sound quality as:

C, B, A

And Active Noise Cancelation and comfort as:
A, B, C

Just how much worse will the PXC 550 sound than the momentum 2s?

The QC35's don't support AptX, so if that's an absolute must, you should take them off your list. They're by far the most comfy on your list though, easily the best for long-wearing/travel applications.

Got my Purple Hearts today. No finish issues here. They sound great. I can now give my D7000's a rest. They've been my daily drivers since what? 2010? Literally every day. God bless those cans.

edit: looked over them again. perfect.

Top Bottom