• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Tommy DJ

I'd honestly just get the QC35 if only because they're relatively affordable, the most ergonomic, and have killer ANC. The problem with those sort of headphones is that the best you can hope for is "alright" sound quality as the combination of wireless and Active Noise Cancellation often does some really screwy things with regards to the headphone's impulse response, frequency response, and distortion.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LH Labs? Never again.

Took 2 weeks to get an RMA, sent it in, now 2 weeks later they haven't sent me a new one yet.

Sent a message on the 15th, to see the status, and they responded like somehow they forgot to put it in the mail. Still no confirmation they shipped one.

I should've bought the OPPO HA-2 like I originally wanted. Fuck this shit.

Ran rp

Went with the 662EVOs. Modded them to sound like the original 310s/662s by mimicking the damping method and they sound even better than the original now (while they sounded worse stock). I'm elated.

sirap

Okay, so I managed to track down someone with a K10u and holy fucking shit.

Now I just need to get my ears molded. If I'm paying this much, I'm getting ones that actually fit my ears.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Good to see you got a chance to try before you buy.

I still think you could do better for the price at that bracket but that's just my preference.

I'm still waiting for my customs from noble too.

leng jai

This is just embarrassing for both Fostex and massdrop. Not that it's necessarily massdrop at fault, but they will inevitably take some of the blame from angry purchasers.

It's definitely up there with one of the dumbest defects I've seen. As bad the 3DS screen scratching fiasco.

aznpxdd

Portable heaven...

ZX2 digital out to KSE1500.

Not relevant to this set-up, but I find it astounding that Sony doesn't market the 3.5mm TRRS balanced out of the ZX2. None of the reviews even know of this feature either. But once I've used ZX2's balanced output with a TOTL IEM, nothing else on the market even compares IMO. It sounds straight up better than Chord Mojo + Vozuge VorzAmp Pure 2+ combo, and also the AK320 + AK Amp that I've had a decent time to play with.

Tommy DJ

Sony doesn't market it because it actually isn't a fully balanced output in the way people are actually expecting.

There's a few tricks some manufacturers play in the DAP game with regards to balanced vs. unbalanced outputs. I believe some of the A&K players have different output impedance for each output so its dead easy to tell the difference between outputs on balanced armature IEMs, especially balanced armatures arranged in parallel (eg. Campfire Andromeda). Most impressions of sound quality differences in these sort of cases probably have little to do with balanced vs unbalanced but instead the crazy impedance curves on basically every balanced armature IEM in the world.

thuway

Advice needed:

1. Warm sounding, classy looking, closed cans, that are easy to drive with a tablet/cell phone.

2. Warm sounding, classy looking, closed cans again, that are bluetooth driven.

Need them as a gift for my mom :). Under 500 for both. Ideas?

Oh and -

3. Is it worth changing out the stock HD650 ear pads with the Velouir Brainwav pads? Mine are getting pretty dusty.

leng jai

Does anyone know what the actual support email is for Massdrop? I've used the contact support option 3 times now and they haven't replied so I guess it's not working.

Antiwhippy

Advice needed:

1. Warm sounding, classy looking, closed cans, that are easy to drive with a tablet/cell phone.

Sennheiser momentum 2 and the same headphone in bluetooth.

Advice needed:

Oh and -

3. Is it worth changing out the stock HD650 ear pads with the Velouir Brainwav pads? Mine are getting pretty dusty.

Always recommended to use the stock pads for replacements with the hd650. They are pricy but other pads change the frequency response too much or wear out very fast.

I also recommend the Momentum 2 and Momentum 2 wireless.

Ran rp

So I just learned that if you have to EQ use should EQ down and not up. I've been fuckin' up for years, hahah.

scehmt.png

This is how I have it now.

envatc.png

Much more pleasant to listen to.

Xander51

Advice needed:

Oh and -

I'd say check out the Sony MDR1A and 1ABT. Much more comfy and with more room for ears than the Momentum 2's, although those are a decent choice as well.

PSY・S;214804821 said:
So I just learned that if you have to EQ use should EQ down and not up. I've been fuckin' up for years, hahah.

scehmt.png

envatc.png

Never knew this. Now, if only Apple would be kind enough to include an EQ into OSX...

andylsun

Last stax pickup for me.

rA9zF4xm.jpg

I've been using a SRD-6 which is cheaper, smaller and lower quality. It's also easy (warning, 600Volts so not really easy) to modify the 7 to support pro bias so I could use them with my lambda's.

Perfect with my SR-X MK3 in the office powered by a tripath t-amp

HiResDes

PSY・S;214804821 said:

scehmt.png

envatc.png

If you had asked or even mentioned anything about EQing this is the first thing that I would have brought up

Ran rp

If you had asked or even mentioned anything about EQing this is the first thing that I would have brought up

I settled on that years ago and have been using the MH310s since so I haven't touched it much. I was going to ask here if I couldn't find anything through Google.

Soulflarz

Banned
5 years later, my trashy in ears finally broke :')

back not for my brother this time, but myself.
SHOZY Zero still the super nice pick of the day for in ear headphones? Or nah. My budgets really anything under...
$80?
Asking because I know for my brother it was around $50 when I asked.

edit: omgantiwhippyisherehiantiwhippy
editedit: shit I can't decide, almost went with KEF M200s even X_X

Antiwhippy

I'm honestly not a big fan of the shozy zero. Resolution is pretty good for the price and most people probably don't mind that midbass bump but that bump seriously takes the music away for me.

For that price range is say have a look at the tfz series 3 and 5. Shall the Trinity audio vyrus.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm honestly not a big fan of the shozy zero. Resolution is pretty good for the price and most people probably don't mind that midbass bump but that bump seriously takes the music away for me.

For that price range is say have a look at the tfz series 3 and 5. Shall the Trinity audio vyrus.

Since this thread is slow, will nag on bnet tonight >.<

Antiwhippy

I can't vouch for the master 4, because well it ain't out yet, but the vyrus is an updated version of the hyperion which i really liked, and it seemed to have addressed some of my issues such as build quality and lifting the mids a bit.

So if you like a fun bassy sound I'd say yeah, it's worth a look.

Also the dude running it treats his customers right if that's a worry for you.

Soulflarz

Banned
I can't vouch for the master 4, because well it ain't out yet, but the vyrus is an updated version of the hyperion which i really liked, and it seemed to have addressed some of my issues such as build quality and lifting the mids a bit.

So if you like a fun bassy sound I'd say yeah, it's worth a look.

Also the dude running it treats his customers right if that's a worry for you.

How bassy are we talking? Like 'this has good bass' or basically high bass from nothing? For reference I'm using AT M50X atm which is very flat >_>

edit: tuneable? F it IM IN yolo

Soulflarz

Banned
First trust me, the m50x isn't really considered flat. :p

Also is say it's elevated with good warmth to it (ie the decay gives the bass notes a bit more linger) but still quick enough for it to have some texture and detail to it, and it doesn't intrude into the mids as much as the shozy zero.

If you want to know what the filters do look at this review.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/trinity-audio-engineering-vyrus/reviews/16617

Thanksthanks

also made a headphi earlier today cause I was going to ask and apparently people with accounts get 20% off their first order so
$64? \o/

also geez this thread is like me with coffee X_X

Antiwhippy

I don't even think you need an account. Just type in the code HEADFIMEMBERS01 to the checkout i think.

Was planning to pick one up myself just to play around with it, but i recently bought the LEAR LHF-AE1d because i missed the bass dial of my asg2.5.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't even think you need an account. Just type in the code HEADFIMEMBERS01 to the checkout i think.

Was planning to pick one up myself just to play around with it, but i recently bought the LEAR LHF-AE1d because i missed the bass dial of my asg2.5.

I would tell you how it is, but to go back to my coffee analogy, I'm sure someone switching from $3 bags would find any $6 bag good, even if I look at them going "why aren't you going to your local 5 star barista?" "why don't you grind it?" "why do you use drip"

Antiwhippy

I dunno, it's like coffee to me where it's all about the journey and exploration. I have something that's pretty close to my endgame but I still like to try various other things out.

It's a sickness man. Stay away from it.

sirap

Good to see you got a chance to try before you buy.

I still think you could do better for the price at that bracket but that's just my preference.

I'm still waiting for my customs from noble too.

I took your advice and started looking around for MH334's. Couldn't find any here, but someone was selling the universal version. I figured that with my K10's being months away, I might as well get one of these and sell them later since universals have better resale value.

The TG334's are on the way. Really excited to hear what they sound like!

Xander51

It's a sickness man. Stay away from it.

This is exactly right. I too have amassed a small collection of headphones that are perfect for various needs of mine. It used to be much bigger but I forced myself to pare it down. Even so, every couple of months I still feel the urge to try something new just to see what it's like. I tell myself that it's so I can confirm/broaden my horizons, but sometimes it borders on obsession.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hate to say the month of trouble and delays were worth it, but I have a working Geek Out 1000 now, and wow it's has an amazing soundscape.

I can finally review my FA-011 on something other than my laptop's headphone jack.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I believe Schiit Show is this weekend guys, time to get hyped up, they are supposed to reveal a major product!

To celebrate the occasion, reposting the pic of my new office setup

MJ0b55N.jpg

I'm too tired right now to make any conclusion about the video, so I will not comment about this new piece of Schiit being a game changer product or not.

However, I smiled when Jude began to talk about how good the specs are, since this new topology is AFAIK the new one Jason talked about months ago that also will be used too in the 2-channel power amps.

Antiwhippy

I took your advice and started looking around for MH334's. Couldn't find any here, but someone was selling the universal version. I figured that with my K10's are months away, I might as well get one of these and sell them later since universals have better resale value.

The TG334's are on the way. Really excited to hear what they sound like!

Haha damn, you really aren't holding back.

Fwiw i recall the mh334 and the tg 334 having differences in that i feel like the bass on the mh being more refined, but the both share the same characteristics in that they have absolutely gorgeous mids and great imaging.

sirap

Haha damn, you really aren't holding back.

Fwiw i recall the mh334 and the tg 334 having differences in that i feel like the bass on the mh being more refined, but the both share the same characteristics in that they have absolutely gorgeous mids and great imaging.

I heard the same thing about the K10 and K10u as well. Luckily, years of wearing Sennheiser headphones has conditioned me to make do without bass :p

Top Bottom