• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Waikis

Any affordable wooden headphone stands outside Massdrop? Can't wait to finish my desktop so looking for one now, but I guess if there's nothing I'll wait for redrops at Massdrop.
Sieveking is out of my budget, something under 100$. Pairing it with TH-X00 so mahogany would be plus.

I don't like the sieveking one as it feels like it's stretching the headphone too much.
Have you looked at Stax's stand?

https://www.staxusa.com/stax-hps-2.html

365.jpg

Ran rp

PSY・S;216003145 said:
I'm currently using an Audio Advantage Micro II ext. sound card and a FiiO D3 on my laptop but the volume is pretty low. Is a FiiO E6 all I need? Would a better SC/DAC/AMP be worth it with this setup?

n e 1?

Using Superlux HD662 EVOs

Nephix

So after owning a pair of Beyerdynamic T90's for a year or so I've decided to get rid of them because the treble is just way too harsh to the point it's giving me migraines.

Any recommendations on alternatives up towards the region of €450? Open, not closed.
Main usage is movies/video games and electronic music.

Actually ended up using my old Sennheiser PC360 more than my T90's so something similar to that with slightly more pronounced ( although not overwhelming ) bass would be nice.

LQX

PSY・S;216014307 said:
n e 1?

Using Superlux HD662 EVOs

Isn't the FiiO D3 only a DAC? And reading up on the Audio Advantage Micro II it appears to be DAC/AMP. Why are you using it with the FiiO D3? It should be good on its own no? Any difference in the volume if you remove it?

The FiiO E6 seems decent as you really don't need anything expensive for those headphones but a all in one solution might also be a good option....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEDCA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ran rp

Isn't the FiiO D3 only a DAC? And reading up on the Audio Advantage Micro II it appears to be DAC/AMP. Why are you using it with the FiiO D3? It should be good on its own no? Any difference in the volume if you remove it?

The FiiO E6 seems decent as you really don't need anything expensive for those headphones but a all in one solution might also be a good option....

Thanks. The internal SC on my laptop is awful (some Beats Audio thing) so I got the AAMII. I later got the D3 to use the optical out on the PS4 and AAMII.

Can I replace everything with that?

Edit: Actually, yeah. The sound is much louder without the D3. Still, would the Creative be a good replacement for my setup?

LQX

PSY・S;216028641 said:
Thanks. The internal SC on my laptop is awful (some Beats Audio thing) so I got the AAMII. I later got the D3 to use the optical out on the PS4 and AAMII.

Can I replace everything with that?

Edit: Actually, yeah. The sound is much louder without the D3. Still, would the Creative be a good replacement for my setup?

Ahh ok. What I linked before will not work on your PS4 so scratch that.

Are you looking for portability or something you do not have to plug in?

If not I would get this...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2QLPJM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The DAC works via optical/coaxil. But if all you need is little more amping the FiiO E6 which you were originally going to get seems like a good bet at just $30.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not sure if I should get a iFi ICAN special edition or not. I really like the idea of the 3D sound, which I would be using more for the non-fatiguing effect than the soundstage, but if the latter is better too that would be great.

I also seem to be using my computer speakers more and more for conveinance (blasphemous right?), I wonder if the ICAN would make me want to use headphones more or not.

I currently have

Modi 2 Uber
Vali 2
X2 Fidelio
TH-X00
HD700

LQX

I'm not sure if I should get a iFi ICAN special edition or not. I really like the idea of the 3D sound, which I would be using more for the non-fatiguing effect than the soundstage, but if the latter is better too that would be great.

I also seem to be using my computer speakers more and more for conveinance (blasphemous right?), I wonder if the ICAN would make me want to use headphones more or not.

I currently have

Modi 2 Uber
Vali 2
X2 Fidelio
TH-X00
HD700

Is the "3D sound" from that any different from a sound card with virtual surround software?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is the "3D sound" from that any different from a sound card with virtual surround software?

Probably not except for the fact that it's produced by the hardware. Though how many virtual 3d sound things are there that aren't tied into a sound card?

I just want the delayed audio to go into the opposite ear cup.

Darkatomz

In terms of headphones, I use the AKG Q701 (mostly for computer use, WASAPI, driven by a Asus Sonar ST with 2x LME49990 each in the I/V, and also in the buffer) and the HiFiMan RE-400 for when I'm not at my desk (driven via iPhone 6S in Accudio Pro, 'upgraded' from the RE-0).

I recently added the Chord Mojo to my collection. You can think of it as an audio DAC like everyone in the thread is saying, but it's a bit misleading. It's really what I would consider the world's first portable audio FPGA. I can get into the semiconductor specifics, but it's basically not a fair comparison whatsoever. Completely different kind of IC.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post

Since it's portable, it's cool because I can use whatever on the input (like a phone), and use the output to drive anything from IEMs to cans to full blown speakers (for example. I can even use it in my car to drive the speakers there). I haven't heard anything like it before, the code being used is incredible. Really amazing value here, would highly recommend if in your price range.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So my wife and me often watch films / TV shows on the iPad when travelling, using our own headphones with a splitter.

How can that work in the new 3.5mm-less era..?

Linius

So my wife and me often watch films / TV shows on the iPad when travelling, using our own headphones with a splitter.

How can that work in the new 3.5mm-less era..?

By using the adapter that comes with the devices. So basically you're looking at your iPad, an adapter, the splitter and then your headphones. Because Apple feels like that's what people want ;)

sirap

I can't stop buying iems >_<

Picked up a Campfire Andromeda because it looked like Master Chief and Metal Gear Mk. II had a baby.

Pretty dope sound though. If it wasn't for the Katana and Zeus, this would be my go to iem for classical music.

Chittagong

Gold Member
By using the adapter that comes with the devices. So basically you're looking at your iPad, an adapter, the splitter and then your headphones. Because Apple feels like that's what people want ;)

Oh god. So there is no way to have two lightning audio devices share the same signal..?

Izayoi

Banned
So, the original cable for my HE-500's finally went out.

What do you guys recommend replacing it with? I'm kind of wary of going with another unshielded cable, given how fragile it is...

Tommy DJ

Oh god. So there is no way to have two lightning audio devices share the same signal..?

If you're using a 3.5mm splitter already, pretty sure it still works if you plug it into the lightning to 3.5mm adapter. Nothing really changes from your current use situation except for the inconvenience of needing an additional $9 adapter.

It remains to be seen if someone can manufacture a splitter for lightning audio devices but right now most manufacturers seem to be treating them as external DAC/amp solutions.

Does anyone know how the Grado sound signature (SR225e) compares with HE400i's?

Vocals are more shouty (good/bad), obvious bass roll-off from 100hz, a rising frequency response so it'll sound more "detailed".

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Picked up a Campfire Andromeda because it looked like Master Chief and Metal Gear Mk. II had a baby.

Pretty dope sound though. If it wasn't for the Katana and Zeus, this would be my go to iem for classical music.

You already have a katana, zeus and andromeda?

When you said you weren't holding you weren't kidding.

Dang, those are pricey. What does your whole IEM collection look like now?

I ordered an RMA MA750, looking forward to receiving them.

sirap

You already have a katana, zeus and andromeda?

When you said you weren't holding you weren't kidding.

I'm supposed to pick one and sell the rest, but the more I listen to them, the more I want to keep everything...

God, the wait for customs to be shipped is unbearable. Noble better finish mine quick or I'll end up buying every universal available T_T

Dang, those are pricey. What does your whole IEM collection look like now?

I ordered an RMA MA750, looking forward to receiving them.

So far this is what I've acquired:

Custom Noble K10s
FitEar TG334
Universal Noble Katana
Universal Zeus-R
Campfire Andromeda

EDIT: Funnily enough, the cheapest iem in this list is probably my favorite. The Andromedas sound so much like my HD600, only less sibilant and with slightly better bass. Gives a very familiar sound that's comfortable for my ears.

pyros

Hi headphone gaf, I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser PXC550 or the Bose QC35, any recommendation between these two or is there something else you would suggest?, thanks

LQX

Newegg has the HD600 for $400 with a $200 Newegg promotional code. The HD650 is $500 with a $250 code. These are some amazing prices if you planned on buying a video card or PC parts come this Black Friday. If not newegg gift cards resale values are close to if not better than Amazon. Hell, PM me if anyone jumps on this deal and want to sell the gift codes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Item=9SIA4P01VR6930&Tpk=9SIA4P01VR6930&cm_sp=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Item=9SIA4P01RR2800&Tpk=9SIA4P01RR2800&cm_sp=

Also no tax in NY.

Tommy DJ

Hi headphone gaf, I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser PXC550 or the Bose QC35, any recommendation between these two or is there something else you would suggest?, thanks

For portable wireless headphones with active noise cancellation, the QC35 is still probably the best from a usability standpoint. It also sounds decent enough.

EDIT: Funnily enough, the cheapest iem in this list is probably my favorite. The Andromedas sound so much like my HD600, only less sibilant and with slightly better bass. Gives a very familiar sound that's comfortable for my ears.

Added benefit is that the Andromeda is so sensitive that it sounds great out of just about anything, though that does make it susceptible to hissing.

WoolyNinja

So I bought the Bose Quietcomfort 35 headphones this past week. The headphones are super comfortable and the sound when just using it for playback is fantastic!

I connected it with bluetooth to my MacbookPro. First I played some music. It was awesome, sounded great, and as I said before, the headphones are super comfortable.

The problem comes in when I then tried to use it with the microphone turned on. The sound quality goes from great to horrible, and also has a bunch of fairly audible feedback, static, whining, etc.

My question - is this normal for these headphones when using it to chat on a Mac or did I get a bad one? I already returned my pair but would definitely give them a second chance if others aren't seeing this problem.

After years the first headphone that got me interested in headphones is back in my possession. Obviously not a high-grade headphone... But they aren't bad! Mids are pretty (very) recessed, and treble is a bit hot, but they're not the mess I was expecting.

4Tran

I'm looking for a set of inexpensive closed headphones to replace my Sennheiser HD428s. They're still pretty decent, but the ear caps are starting to peel. Oh, and I don't need anything fancy - I've got a pair of HD598s for most of my listening needs. What's a good pair with neutral sound?

Amagon

After years the first headphone that got me interested in headphones is back in my possession. Obviously not a high-grade headphone... But they aren't bad! Mids are pretty (very) recessed, and treble is a bit hot, but they're not the mess I was expecting.
I'm still rocking mine, and love the bass when I'm not using the 598's.

HiResDes

I'm looking for a set of inexpensive closed headphones to replace my Sennheiser HD428s. They're still pretty decent, but the ear caps are starting to peel. Oh, and I don't need anything fancy - I've got a pair of HD598s for most of my listening needs. What's a good pair with neutral sound?
BRAINWAVZ hM5

Aiii

So not worth it
Most of you Audiophiles are probably gonna hate this headset, but I just got the bluetooth MDR-1000X by Sony.

img_20160912_11001518rua.jpg

Mostly because I listen to audiobooks I wanted noise cancelling headphones and boy, Bose can move over because Sony is king with these. Absolutely amazing noise cancelling tech in these, they analyse your ear (and hair, which I barely have, and check things like if you're wearing glasses) to tailor the noise cancelling specifically to your situation. You're completely deaf to the outside wearing these, absolutely top notch.

They come with some nifty features to the NC too, there's options to have the noise cancelling on, but to not filter voices so you can still hear announcements over PA systems or spy on your colleagues in the office while pretending you're listening to your music. And they have a touch sensitive back (like the MDR-1A's did) which if you put your hand on, will immediately turn off the NC and muffle the sound so you can listen to the outside world if you need to.

Sound quality wise they're pretty great too, listening with AptX BT they provide a nice clear sound, pretty well balanced, not too bass heavy, which I enjoy. Sony also put DSEE HX upsampling in these, so that even lower quality sources are supposed to be in high-res audio levels, I haven't noticed it messing about with the quality, but my ears are way too fucked up after years of abuse to make any kind of determination on if it's a net positive or negative, so I can't attest to whether that's bs or actually working.

ty_hot

Does anyone know how long is the warranty for the Plantronics Backbeat Pro?

In the website they just say it might be 90 days, 1 2 or 3 years. Says I should check the original box... I do have the box but it is 4 hours away (by plane) from me, and I am probably going there only for christmas.

This was the first expensive headphone in my life (130 euros is expensive for me), and with less than 7 months of use, very light use the pad/cushion started to 'open' in one ear... disappointing (even though the rest is perfect, audio quality, bluetooth signal, battery etc).

Does anyone know how long is the warranty for the Plantronics Backbeat Pro?

In the website they just say it might be 90 days, 1 2 or 3 years. Says I should check the original box... I do have the box but it is 4 hours away (by plane) from me, and I am probably going there only for christmas.

This was the first expensive headphone in my life (130 euros is expensive for me), and with less than 7 months of use, very light use the pad/cushion started to 'open' in one ear... disappointing (even though the rest is perfect, audio quality, bluetooth signal, battery etc).
Just call them up and see what they say.

Xander51

So I bought the Bose Quietcomfort 35 headphones this past week. The headphones are super comfortable and the sound when just using it for playback is fantastic!

I connected it with bluetooth to my MacbookPro. First I played some music. It was awesome, sounded great, and as I said before, the headphones are super comfortable.

The problem comes in when I then tried to use it with the microphone turned on. The sound quality goes from great to horrible, and also has a bunch of fairly audible feedback, static, whining, etc.

My question - is this normal for these headphones when using it to chat on a Mac or did I get a bad one? I already returned my pair but would definitely give them a second chance if others aren't seeing this problem.

What you were hearing was the sidetone that turns on when the mic activates, so that you can hear your own voice past the noise cancelling of the headphones. Previous Bose noise cancellers were very strange to take calls on, because your own voice was very muffled. The sidetone eliminates this, by pumping some outside audio from the environment into your headphones while you use the mic.

This was 100 percent normal behavior and it's a shame you returned them. The mic is not meant to be turned on all the time. The sidetone only functions when the mic is active.

EDIT: If you were actually getting whiny feedback sounds, that might be an actual problem, depending on your environment when you were using the mic. But you should hear your own voice as well as some lightly grainy/airy outside audio. So if that's what you heard, not a defect.

Tommy DJ

I decided to go hog wild and just get a pair of Campfire Andromedas. Go big or go home I guess.

Good:
- Sound signature is sort of like the Sennheiser HD600 with more bass, tighter bass and what feels like slightly more air. I think the HD600's sound signature is pretty much perfect except for its pretty muddy bass.
- Its so sensitive that it sounds great out of anything. Expensive amps with near-zero output impedance probably make it sound worse.
- Packaging is very compact and smart. The IEMs come inside the case, which sit ontop of a dozen different eartips and documentation. It makes keeping everything together for warranty/selling purposes very easy.

Bad:
- The provided protective case is compact but I don't like it. The IEMs with tips installed are too small for the case. I don't think there's any way to put the IEMs in the case without the case putting pressure on the tips.
- Machining quality on my sample is pretty poor. The two part shell on mine is not flush, has a machining over-cut, and the edges shed paint like the iPhone 5. It doesn't bother me enough to return it but I dunno how these shells got through QA.
- The crazy high sensitivity means its a hiss magnet. It has hiss issues out of the AudioQuest Dragonfly Red, Oppo HA-2, Chord Mojo, Sony A20, Nintendo 3DS. It doesn't hiss out of the iPhone 6S strangely enough.

Ugly:
- The crossover network and resulting impedance curve is crazy. I think it sounds too bassy out of most audiophile amps. If you try and use a 20 ohm impedance booster (aka adding resistors in series) to mitigate the hissing issue, you end up with zero bass.
- I can confirm that soldering together a voltage divider does do a fair bit to mitigate the hissing issue without adding excessive amounts of output impedance.
- Because of this and the hissing issues, the iPhone 6S actually produces the best sound if you don't want to mess around with soldering irons and adapters.

All in all, great sounding IEMs that show 95% of getting something to sound good is targeting a sensible target curve.

sirap

They sound like ass on my Paw Gold too. Honestly, it's the only thing keeping this and the Zeus-R from having a permanent spot in my bag.

I love the Paw too much to use anything else, and I'm not a fan of iPhones as DAPs either (despite how fantastic the Andromedas sound on my 6+)

Zackat

I got some Phillips SHP9500's and I am pretty surprised how nice they sound for a 60 dollar pair of headphones. I don't have an amp or anything either. Got the V-MODA BoomPro and it is pretty great for a gaming headset now too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They sound like ass on my Paw Gold too. Honestly, it's the only thing keeping this and the Zeus-R from having a permanent spot in my bag.

I love the Paw too much to use anything else, and I'm not a fan of iPhones as DAPs either (despite how fantastic the Andromedas sound on my 6+)

You really aren't holding back.

How is the PAW gold? Though I can't use any DAP anymore that aren't android based because I kinda hate using none touch-screen based interface.

LQX

I got some Phillips SHP9500's and I am pretty surprised how nice they sound for a 60 dollar pair of headphones. I don't have an amp or anything either. Got the V-MODA BoomPro and it is pretty great for a gaming headset now too.

Yeah they are awesome headphones. I sold off a few of my more expensive headphones as I could no longer convince myself they sounded any better while costing 5X the price.

Top Bottom