• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
The audio system to our new flat is currently being installed, so I thought I'd share the spec to Headphone-GAF, all made by myself and inspired by this thread. Will post pics in November!

pvoEgnp.png

Can't wait for photos. Congrats. ;)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Can't wait for photos. Congrats. ;)

Thanks! Definitely will post pics

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the purpose of having a Ragnarok if you're going to connect it to a pair of self-powered Genelec monitors?

Why don't buy the Mjolnir 2 instead? It's cheaper and it allows you to have two kind of signature sounds: tubes or transistors.

Anyways, killer setup :)

Regards.

Ah, the Genelecs in the snug are more of an afterthought, it's going to be my headphones corner so the Ragnarok is meant for my HE-1000s, or maybe HD800s in the future. In fact, it might be that I won't have space for the Genelecs in the snug, and there are Genelec AIC25s in the ceiling anyway.

Why not Mjolnir 2? I would like to say that I've read the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok combo has better synergy, but the truth is that the main reason is my OCD X-)

Ah, the Genelecs in the snug are more of an afterthought, it's going to be my headphones corner so the Ragnarok is meant for my HE-1000s, or maybe HD800s in the future. In fact, it might be that I won't have space for the Genelecs in the snug, and there are Genelec AIC25s in the ceiling anyway.

Why not Mjolnir 2? I would like to say that I've read the Yggdrasil/Ragnarok combo has better synergy, but the truth is that the main reason is my OCD X-)

Hahaha, fair enough :D

But, yeah... if Yggy+Rag has better synergy, it makes sense to choose that combo.

Congrats and don't forget the pics!!!!

Miutsu

For $250 I prefer the Blue Lola similar sound signature and all.

I also have been considering a wired momentum 2 for closed over-ear headphones around the same budget. Why is it that you prefer the Blue Lola? I hadn't heard about this brand before.

Waikis

The audio system to our new flat is currently being installed, so I thought I'd share the spec to Headphone-GAF, all made by myself and inspired by this thread. Will post pics in November!

pvoEgnp.png

Any specific reason why you went with crestron and mirage instead of the usual audiophile choices like SotM, sonos or squeezebox?

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent entry level full size headphone strictly for late night movie viewing. I'm thinking decent bass, pretty wide soundstage, and easy to run (it's going straight into my TV's headphone output). Any suggestions? Thanks

RS4-

Forza audio works does sleeved cables that isn't too bad price wise.

http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=34

Best in the verse does braided & sleeved for a bit more.

http://bestintheversecables.com/collections/custom-cable

Thanks, I looked up Best in the Verse this morning after reading some reddit comments, he's backed up and other people have yet to receiver their orders.

Will check out Forza though; other places I've come across were charging like $120 USD +

Xux

For $250 I prefer the Blue Lola similar sound signature and all.
Alright, I tried a pair at a display at Fry's and they sound pretty great. Pulled the trigger and now I'm ready for whatever the Gorillaz social media woke up for.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Any specific reason why you went with crestron and mirage instead of the usual audiophile choices like SotM, sonos or squeezebox?

I was forced to Crestron as that's what the building uses for all home automation - lights, blinds, heating, video distribution, security - so had to get in something that would distribute digitally a lossless source on a Crestron network.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent entry level full size headphone strictly for late night movie viewing. I'm thinking decent bass, pretty wide soundstage, and easy to run (it's going straight into my TV's headphone output). Any suggestions? Thanks

Budget? To some of us, "entry level" can be hundreds of dollars.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
The new Sennheiser 569 might be a good bet. Not sure they have been released yet though.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/around-ear-headphones-stereo-mic-hd-569

Looks nice but it's probably way too much headphone for what I will be using it for.

Budget? To some of us, "entry level" can be hundreds of dollars.

Under $100. OP has a list of "Entry Audiophile Headphones Under $100 -From Most Expensive To Least" but it seems a little outdated? Wasn't sure if there's newer stuff out there that I should check out.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Wow, props to massdrop though for doing what they can to make up for it. $100 is nice and it sounds like the issue is on Fostex's end.

leng jai

Yeah, Massdrop is doing everything they can to compensate people. They refunded my Purplehearts and paid for the return shipping from Australia. No idea what Fostex is doing with these.

Waikis

I was forced to Crestron as that's what the building uses for all home automation - lights, blinds, heating, video distribution, security - so had to get in something that would distribute digitally a lossless source on a Crestron network.

Ah, might wanna try plugging the yggy straight to the source to see if theres any quality drop over the network. Rest of the chain looks killer, though :).

LQX

Ridiculous they're having build quality issues this far in the game especially given how Fostex has made it a huge part of their appeal how much craftsmanship goes into making their headphones. I guess that went out the window when they started mass producing these things.

My first Mahogany was beautiful aside from the twists in the cable but my purple hearts build quality was atrocious. Even with partial refund they offered I opted to return them.

Looks nice but it's probably way too much headphone for what I will be using it for.
Yeah, should have asked how much you were willing to spend. Sorry.

If you don't mind open there is the Philips SHP950. Amazing headphones for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=Philips_SHP9500-_-26-138-190-_-Product

The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x I think is also a decent choice. I use these as my TV/music and occasional gaming headphone when I don't want to pull out my more expensive headphones. I like them a lot. Very long cord so they are great from sitting a few feet away from the TV, they fold, and they are very rugged so they wont get damaged easily.

BuyDig has them for just $80 with mic after a coupon code
http://slickdeals.net/f/9112831-aud...0i-microphone-79-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch

HiResDes

Under $100. OP has a list of "Entry Audiophile Headphones Under $100 -From Most Expensive To Least" but it seems a little outdated? Wasn't sure if there's newer stuff out there that I should check out.
I'd just grab some Creative Aurvana Live if I were you

Senmai HP8 would also be perfect for your needs

leng jai

Ridiculous they're having build quality issues this far in the game especially given how Fostex has made it a huge part of their appeal how much craftsmanship goes into making their headphones. I guess that went out the window when they started mass producing these things.

My first Mahogany was beautiful aside from the twists in the cable but my purple hearts build quality was atrocious. Even with partial refund they offered I opted to return them.

Yeah, should have asked how much you were willing to spend. Sorry.

If you don't mind open there is the Philips SHP950. Amazing headphones for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=Philips_SHP9500-_-26-138-190-_-Product

The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x I think is also a decent choice. I use these as my TV/music and occasional gaming headphone when I don't want to pull out my more expensive headphones. I like them a lot. Very long cord so they are great from sitting a few feet away from the TV, they fold, and they are very rugged so they wont get damaged easily.

http://slickdeals.net/f/9112831-aud...0i-microphone-79-free-shipping?src=SiteSearch

This is exactly my experience with this whole TH-X00. My Mahogany pair had perfect ups but the cable got tangled 24/7 for no reason at all.

Corpsepyre

Banned
What are all your thoughts on Sennheiser HD 201? It's within my budget. Getting rid of Razer Electra. As good as it was, its now worn out and the pads are damaged. Don't want to spend a boatload on headphones.

Xander51

What are all your thoughts on Sennheiser HD 201? It's within my budget. Getting rid of Razer Electra. As good as it was, its now worn out and the pads are damaged. Don't want to spend a boatload on headphones.

I hate the long cable and the pads are super thin, but once you put them on they sound pretty good.

HiResDes

There are still better choices within the price bracket

Chittagong

Gold Member
Settling in to our new office, first thing being set up is my trusty headphone setup - Schiit Bifrost Multibit / Asgard 2 / Fostex TH-600s. Still haven't found midpriced headphones I'd like more than them - great sound stage, clarity, bass.

xDjiWQr.jpg

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness

I'd just grab some Creative Aurvana Live if I were you

Senmai HP8 would also be perfect for your needs

I appreciate the help guys. I'm gonna go with the SHP950's. Good reviews, detachable cables and the price is just right.

Dead

well not really...yet
Anyone own V-Moda wirelss Crossfades?

Just got a pair with XL cushions, and they sound amazing. Like, the bass is deep and powerful, but it doesn't at all come at the cost of clarity, the highs and mids still sound fantastic, and don't feel muddied at all.

Rodin

Hi guys, need a bit of help here. I want a new pair of headphones and i'm leaning towards the Beyer DT990, as they seem to have all the qualities i'm looking for, but there are 3 "different" models: 32ohm (Premium), 250ohm (Pro) and 600ohm (Premium). The 32ohm version is 199€, the 600 is 214€ and the 250 is only 138€. Is there a reason not to buy the Pro 250ohm version compared to the Premium ones?

Xander51

Is it worth getting QC35 over the QC25?

Is there an actual difference bar wireless?

The sound and noise canceling are ever so slightly better, and an active EQ is included that shapes the sound a bit based on your volume level. Check out Tyll's review at Innerfidelity for more details.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...noise-canceling-headphone#7BvILvVvkOjA0Vgl.97

I personally think all of that plus solid wireless performance and two device simultaneous connection is easily worth the extra fifty bucks, especially if you have already talked yourself into the price bracket. But, if you're 100 percent sure you'd never use the wireless, the QC 25 is still a great noise canceling can. It's also a bit lighter. I own and use both. Because I'm crazy.

K.Jack

Hi guys, need a bit of help here. I want a new pair of headphones and i'm leaning towards the Beyer DT990, as they seem to have all the qualities i'm looking for, but there are 3 "different" models: 32ohm (Premium), 250ohm (Pro) and 600ohm (Premium). The 32ohm version is 199€, the 600 is 214€ and the 250 is only 138€. Is there a reason not to buy the Pro 250ohm version compared to the Premium ones?

There is a vast difference in how much it takes to power all of those sufficiently, so a big part of the decision comes down to your setup.

Rodin

There is a vast difference in how much it takes to power all of those sufficiently, so a big part of the decision comes down to your setup.

Thanks. I'd use them for music (vinyl, CD, PC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6), movies and tv series (netflix and blu ray) and games (PS4 Pro and NX on TV through a receiver as my OLED doesn't have a headphone jack, also PC and possibly 3DS, although i know it would be a waste lol). I should point out that i don't have a dedicated sound card on my PC though.

My main concern is the iPhone, because i really don't want to get a portable DAC to use them, but i thought that maybe i can buy a pair of Beats Solo 2 for 99€ to use them with my phone when i'm not home (and i'd only spend ~35€ more than i would if i only buy the DT990 Premium 32ohm, and roughly the same price as a portable DAC). Tyll put them on the wall of fame and reviews are generally good, so they shouldn't be as bad as other beats models, especially for that price. Also considering Apple makes them and how popular they are, i should be able to easily find a cable with a lightning connector to use them with my next phone (next year's iPhone). The cable isn't replaceable on any version of the DT990 iirc, so i kinda have to do this anyway (and it's fine really, 240€ is cheap for 2 pair of good headphones).

EDIT: found a video comparison of the DT880 impedance from innerfidelity, the 250ohm definitely seem to be the best choice for me.

Karish

Anyone own V-Moda wirelss Crossfades?

Just got a pair with XL cushions, and they sound amazing. Like, the bass is deep and powerful, but it doesn't at all come at the cost of clarity, the highs and mids still sound fantastic, and don't feel muddied at all.

I have and absolutely love them. Just got them in fact. I think I might stick w/ the stock pads though. I am worried XL will make my ears too sweaty.

Does anyone have any experience with bone conducting headphones? I've been having a bit of tinnitus in my ears lately so I'm looking for ways to prevent it from getting worse. A guy a work mentioned these so I figured I'd give em a shot.

Any good brands or pairs I should look at? Budget is somewhere between $150 to $200.

K.Jack

Thanks. I'd use them for music (vinyl, CD, PC, MacBook Pro, iPhone 6), movies and tv series (netflix and blu ray) and games (PS4 Pro and NX on TV through a receiver as my OLED doesn't have a headphone jack, also PC and possibly 3DS, although i know it would be a waste lol). I should point out that i don't have a dedicated sound card on my PC though.

My main concern is the iPhone, because i really don't want to get a portable DAC to use them, but i thought that maybe i can buy a pair of Beats Solo 2 for 99€ to use them with my phone when i'm not home (and i'd only spend ~35€ more than i would if i only buy the DT990 Premium 32ohm, and roughly the same price as a portable DAC). Tyll put them on the wall of fame and reviews are generally good, so they shouldn't be as bad as other beats models, especially for that price. Also considering Apple makes them and how popular they are, i should be able to easily find a cable with a lightning connector to use them with my next phone (next year's iPhone). The cable isn't replaceable on any version of the DT990 iirc, so i kinda have to do this anyway (and it's fine really, 240€ is cheap for 2 pair of good headphones).

EDIT: found a video comparison of the DT880 impedance from innerfidelity, the 250ohm definitely seem to be the best choice for me.

I don't see how the 250 Ohm is the best choice, when you don't have the gear for a 250 Ohm headphone.

RS4-

"Budget" desktop dac/amp for monitors and headphones?

Considered the e10k because I can have both plugged in, and I can always turn off each speaker if I wanted to use the headphones.

Any others like it? SMSL?

StMeph

I recently picked up a pair of DT990 Pros with a FiiO A3 since I don't think I need an external DAC yet.

To test it out, I plugged the headphones directly into a line out without the amp just to see if it was enough to feed 250 ohms, and I began to regret it as all of the warnings about the 990s' sibilance/fry came true. My ears hurt after 20 minutes. Then I tried it with the A3, and it helped tremendously, but certain tracks still cause a subtly painful level of treble.

Is this a lost cause? Should I just return the headset? Or is there something else I can do about it?

HiResDes

PSY・S;218441207 said:
Would I need a receiver to be able to use them on a PC?
Receiver or small amp yes, they're not powered, honestly in your price range if you're looking for powered speakers just buy whatever.

Jzero

I bought some $15 KZ ATE S and i'm surprised as fuck how bad these don't sound. I was honestly expecting trash.

XqytGFw.png

Top Bottom