• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

They have been outsourcing their headphones for a long while though. The entire k7 series as been coming from China for the last couple years.

SuperSah

Banned
So uh, I was going to buy the QC35 then I see Sony is introducing the MDR-1000X.

I think, huh, what? and proceed to find reviews. It appears this thing is an absolute knockout in all departments, especially ANC.

Thoughts?

Oh, I was pretty close to pull the trigger on some AKG some time ago but I never did it, since I don't like headphones anymore.

Kinda sad anyways, I remember the brand and its "allure" since I was a kid.

FoxSpirit

Settling in to our new office, first thing being set up is my trusty headphone setup - Schiit Bifrost Multibit / Asgard 2 / Fostex TH-600s. Still haven't found midpriced headphones I'd like more than them - great sound stage, clarity, bass.

xDjiWQr.jpg
Oh, a Devialet Phantom Silver. How do you like it?

RS4-

Question about what to do.

I'm between the stock Fostex T20 MK2, vs the Cascadia Talos. The kicker is that the Talos is about 3-4x more expensive than the T20.
If I buy the mod kit, pads, etc for the T20, the price difference is probably in half.

Talos still twice the price, and worth going through the trouble of modding the T20s?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh, a Devialet Phantom Silver. How do you like it?

It is phenomenal for office use. Room filling sound from a single source with no amp, and everyone can stream to it. Sounds fantastic loud, and the separation is so good you can still hear people speak.

Some in a fixed seating position I prefer Genelecs, but for office Phantom is perfect.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Cross-post from the Gaming Setup thread, my home audio setup shaping up - a lot of it will be via headphones.

Chittagong said:
First off-site test of my Gaming Setup 2017. Everything built up in a warehouse to test the system works when installed in December.

Thought I'd share a sneak peek to GAF.

1uCbGO8.jpg

Sony X95 85" 4K60 television running Witcher 3 maxed out. Genelec 8351A speakers.

dYoaPoc.jpg

Marantz AV8802 7.1 4K AV amplifier. Schiit Yggdrasil DAC feeding the music to the AV amp. Custom Titan X Pascal gaming PC in black case. Oculus Rift.

D2iSuvg.jpg

Genelec AIC25 in-ceiling speakers, these will go around the flat for music.

LlXencD.jpg

Crestron AV rack. It's got a Mirage audio server, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, internet services, and amplifiers for the Genelec AIC25s. Audio, video, heating and everything will be controlled via Crestron touch panels and iOS app.

Not pictured, snug setup with second Yggdrasil and Ragnarok

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The RE-00 i almost literally an RE-ZERO remake, with a little RE-400 in the mix.

Great IEM for $35.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nice! No sub yet or do you not plan to go that loud?
Oh, and dat rack :p

No sub planned yet... being an apartment with neighbors, and the 8351s seem to perform really well in the low end anyway

Ruben Den Boer and Victor Pool, the Dutch DJs together known as Vicetone have remixed artists such as Adele, Calvin Harris, Maroon 5, and Zedd; and have made appearances at festivals TomorrowWorld, Ultra and others.

Pool says they were initially skeptical that the 8351 could reproduce the kind of low end that EDM demands, but that they were even more stunned that the 8351 can reach down as far as it can without distortion and while remaining clear and articulate — all the way down to 32 Hz.

“That is an incredible feat, to be able to do that without a subwoofer,” he says. “As a result, our mixes translate very well to sound systems in clubs and festivals all over the world but also on the radio and all streaming platforms. So the Genelec 8351 monitors were very much worth the investment.”

Soundonsound said:
However, the real eye–opener was the low–frequency performance and extension. The 8351A isn’t all that large, but the control and depth of the bass that was being produced really stood out across a wide range of musical genres. At EDM volume levels, synthesized low–frequency sounds were reproduced with an impressive level of transient detail alongside the mandatory chest–kicking thump and, back in the real instrument world, the 8351A excelled at delivering the necessary definition between bass guitar and bass drum. If you do the maths you’ll find that the combined surface area of the 8351A’s two oval woofers approaches that of a 10–inch driver, and it seems to me that Genelec’s new approach to twin–transducer topography in the low–frequency arena really pays off when it comes to producing clearly defined and delineated bass.

Probably the best portable wireless set up available now? (depends on your taste in MMCX IEM's I guess!)

ZX2 -> MUC-M2BT1 -> SE846 via lossless LDAC wireless codec.

Can u break down via a direct message what all those components are? I've been listening to wireless Iems for the past 4 plus years with a pair of sennheiser ie80s which I adore but am looking for a wireless set up that could match that quality If it's possible

Hypron

I just got an email from a website I often use...

They're having a 30% off on all sennheiser products sale for the next few days...

NZ$336 (US$245) for a pair of HD600... I wasn't planning on buying anything in the near future, but I've got the money and that's as cheap as it's going to get, really...

Should I~?

The website is Computer Lounge if any NZers are wondering.

Just bought the AKG K550 and a Fiio E18 Kunlun. I was debating for a long time but I finally decided to take the jump into higher end audio.

Are these a good choice for an entry level? I can still cancel my order if you have better recommendations.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Chittagong besides the congratulations on the wonderful setup (those Genelecs & Yggy look delicious), I wanted to say I hate you :D

Haha, thanks! This (along with the HE1000s and Ragnarok I finally received yesterday) is my end-game setup, I have no desire for so-called "high end audio".

Chittagong

Gold Member
Other than owning a lot of it?

Haha right - I mean the stuff that magazines like Stereophile write about. $5,000 DACs, $10,000 speakers, $10,000 amps and such. Schiit and Genelec are both value-priced in comparison to audiophile gear. And they are so good I doubt I could ever tell the difference with even more expensive gear.

The HE-1000s are outrageously priced, of course.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You're still talking about a system that's 4.5k though. :p

Thinking about getting a jotunheim personally if I decide to pull the trigger on a focal elear.

Tommy DJ

Most of what Stereophile writes about is nothing more than audiophile jewelry.

I'd say that room is going to make your speakers sound like shit but considering you're got a Crestron system, the guy whose doing the installation will (hopefully) do all of that for you.

Chittagong

Gold Member
You're still talking about a system that's 4.5k though. :p

Thinking about getting a jotunheim personally if I decide to pull the trigger on a focal elear.

Fair enough - and fwiw people at SBAF are saying that Jotunheim is pretty much on par with Ragnarok, so it's absolutely phenomenal value, especially if you can skip the internal DAC pair it up with a Bifrost

Most of what Stereophile writes about is nothing more than audiophile jewelry.

I'd say that room is going to make your speakers sound like shit but considering you're got a Crestron system, the guy whose doing the installation will (hopefully) do all of that for you.

Absolutely. That's actually not the flat in the pictures, it's just a warehouse where the AV company set everything up for approval. Genelecs include free installation with digital calibration for space compensation, thankfully.

Personally I find the stuff on Stereophile disgusting. It's exactly like you say, jewellery. Just like a car crash, I just can't watch the other way.

Tommy DJ

I think the Jotunheim is significantly overhyped on SBAF (very good solid amplifier with very nice form factor, not a game changer) but that's to be expected because SBAF get real wonky when it comes to DACs and amps most of the time. They're getting just as bad as Head-Fi in that department considering they're become neurotic enough to talk about the impact goddamn volume pots have on sound quality.

They're still better than Head-Fi though since key members still provide measurements and justifications for their headphone impressions.

After looking at those pieces one by one I gasped at the price. I guess I'll just put it out here as a general question for some advice.

I've always been under the impression that Bluetooth sound quality is absolute garbage, but I have also been told that they have improved significantly. I've also seen these mmcx cables that convert iems from wired to wireless.

So my question is, is wireless viable these days and is it for a reasonable price? Are these mmcx wireless cables a viable alternative from straight Bluetooth ear buds? I've been a happy owner of sennheiser ie80s but am looking toward a wireless alternative for everyday use. I guess my limit would be 300 used. Any recommendations or general information on the state of wireless would be appreciated

Haha, thanks! This (along with the HE1000s and Ragnarok I finally received yesterday) is my end-game setup, I have no desire for so-called "high end audio".

Yep, I agree with you. I consider myself an audiophile, in the sense that I love gear that performs in a stellar way, but as always, there is a limit where it becomes an imbecility, I mean... a DAC that costs as much as a nice car? that's nuts.

That's the main reason why I became a Schiit fan, they deliver really great gear at a reasonable price and while subjective... with fantastic aesthetics too, cause there are other brands like Emotiva, for example, that offers very nice products too, but IMHO, they look hideous.

My future system will be Yggy + Schiit's soon to be announced pre/amp.

Regards.

Please, share the pics when the installation is completed and if possible, some pics of the WIP too :)

sirap

I think the Jotunheim is significantly overhyped on SBAF (very good solid amplifier with very nice form factor, not a game changer) but that's to be expected because SBAF get real wonky when it comes to DACs and amps most of the time. They're getting just as bad as Head-Fi in that department considering they're become neurotic enough to talk about the impact goddamn volume pots have on sound quality.

They're still better than Head-Fi though since key members still provide measurements and justifications for their headphone impressions.

Outside of their IEM section (which is getting iffier by the day), I find SBAF to be just as bad as Head-Fi. Probably worse, because you have a few prominent members hyping up their own preferences and ganging up on anyone who doesn't drink the kool-aid. You see the same thing happens at HF in vendor-specific threads, but with SBAF's "exclusivity", it can be a real issue when "randos" offer differing opinions and are immediately labeled as shills.

The ZX2 hype in particular is ridiculous.

HiResDes

My loudspeaker journey has been a weird, hilarious, and often pathetic one. Bought these really nice loudspeakers that I have no doubt would have sounded terrific had I had the right setup to power them, got scolded when money got tight later and ended up selling them at a pretty significant loss of about $150 or so. Got into vintage audio pretty heavy shortly after that, joined Audiokarma, bought a soldering iron and all of these other little tools like a multi-meter and helping hands, then I went searching on auction sites for vintage stuff.

Scored some pretty lowly Polk Monitor 5's albeit in pristine condition, sold those and grabbed some Boston Acoustics A150 only to realize they were in shit condition and had after subwoofers put to replace the originals. So I put them to the side and scored some Polk Monitor 7's in decent condition but also needed a little work. Ended up recovering the grills of the A150 and eventually buying original subwoofers off of Ebay. Then I purchased purchased all of the capacitors I needed for the A150, and shortly after that I recapped the Polks.

I finally got a very lowly MCS receiver from a thrift store for about twenty bucks, plan on replacing the capacitors in the power supply and phono stage next. I'm not allowed to touch the dry wall since it's a historical home we're renting out, and I'm pretty sure Tommy would go nuts if he saw how everything is setup since it's probably an acoustical nightmare but honestly it sounds pretty good to me and I couldn't be happier right now. It's not accurate sounding at all, but I was playing some Shuggie Otis vinyl on it last week and it was just right.

I didn't know what SBAF was. I google it while drinking a coke. I almost choked at the idiotic & supremely cheesy name ROFL.

Is really as bad as Head-Fi? It's kinda hard to believe, you know.

I didn't know what SBAF was. I google it while drinking a coke. I almost choked at the idiotic & supremely cheesy name ROFL.

No, it's not. It has a rather off-putting personality for the "everyone is right and everything is awesome" however which understandably runs off more than a few people.

It's also funny when some say they are crazy about dacs and amps. Many of the users there have the money for rather expensive equipment, but at the same time still continually recommend great sounding budget equipment. The original Vali and it's successor for example are highly praised by many on the forum.

Also, as they remind others often, don't take them seriously. Many on the forum know each other and are friends in real life.

Personally, I rather enjoy the atmosphere much more than the ridiculousness of head-fi. Want to see an example? Read the head-fi thread on the new monoprice headphones then go read the one on sbaf. Very different cultures.

Chittagong

Gold Member
My impression is that Head-Fi has more dumb shit like expensive cables and power line purifiers, but is more accessible.

SBAF is more technically comptetent and analytical, better argumentation, but atmosphere feels much more uptight.

sirap

In my opinion? Yeah, but for totally different reasons. Don't get me wrong, SBAF is a decent place for recommendations (provided you do your own research too) and it certainly doesn't match HF's particular flavor of crazy.

HF is full of idiots, but that's pretty much unavoidable for a forum that big. SBAF tried to avoid this with the rep system, but that brings its own set of problems too. At least they're not shy to admit it. They really do represent the best and worst aspects of a typical "boys club". Hell, the forum name alone should clue you in on their nature :p

There's some circle jerking and confirmation bias going on, but it's pretty easy too spot. As always, it's best to trust your own ears.

Apologies in advance, I'm an audio noob and I come in peace.

I've had a pair of hyperx cloud 2's for about a year, I love them but I'm looking to take my first step into "real" audio.

I've narrowed it down to either Sennheiser hd558 or hd598, or the Philips shp9500. The Philips pair is much cheaper obviously, but my curiosity has me leaning toward the Sennheisers. Any suggestions?

Also would like to get a decent amp/DAC or a sound card. Suggestions on those are welcome.

I'm primarily a PC user, and will use them for gaming and some music listening.

Thanks, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by just asking for purchase advice.

maven

After looking at those pieces one by one I gasped at the price. I guess I'll just put it out here as a general question for some advice.

I've always been under the impression that Bluetooth sound quality is absolute garbage, but I have also been told that they have improved significantly. I've also seen these mmcx cables that convert iems from wired to wireless.

So my question is, is wireless viable these days and is it for a reasonable price? Are these mmcx wireless cables a viable alternative from straight Bluetooth ear buds? I've been a happy owner of sennheiser ie80s but am looking toward a wireless alternative for everyday use. I guess my limit would be 300 used. Any recommendations or general information on the state of wireless would be appreciated

I've been poking around looking at wireless options in case I pull the trigger on a new iPhone. Noble audio make an accessory that works like a Bluetooth bridge between your phone and wired headphones. Might be worth a look. I have no experience with it personally though.

https://nobleaudio.com/en/shop/wireless/

Slightly less convenient in some ways, but lets you use any number of reasonably priced wired headphones wirelessly if you wish.

HiResDes

Apologies in advance, I'm an audio noob and I come in peace.

I've had a pair of hyperx cloud 2's for about a year, I love them but I'm looking to take my first step into "real" audio.

I've narrowed it down to either Sennheiser hd558 or hd598, or the Philips shp9500. The Philips pair is much cheaper obviously, but my curiosity has me leaning toward the Sennheisers. Any suggestions?

Also would like to get a decent amp/DAC or a sound card. Suggestions on those are welcome.

I'm primarily a PC user, and will use them for gaming and some music listening.

Thanks, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by just asking for purchase advice.
Hyper X Cloud headphones are Takstar Pro 80 clones, and thus are technically capable headphones that present a value at that price point. You already have headphones that are representative of real audio. The open nature of the Sennheiser will undoubtedly grant you great improvements in soundstage and are super comfortable but technical aren't much more capable in other regards, imo of course. I think you'll have to look in the greater than $200 range to net significant improvements.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The RE-00 seems to be an almost exact reimagining of the RE-ZERO, plus a little more bass, and mids got a little bit of the RE-400's tuning.

Good IEM. I'll buy a second one when they have the next drop.

No, it's not. It has a rather off-putting personality for the "everyone is right and everything is awesome" however which understandably runs off more than a few people.

It's also funny when some say they are crazy about dacs and amps. Many of the users there have the money for rather expensive equipment, but at the same time still continually recommend great sounding budget equipment. The original Vali and it's successor for example are highly praised by many on the forum.

Also, as they remind others often, don't take them seriously. Many on the forum know each other and are friends in real life.

Personally, I rather enjoy the atmosphere much more than the ridiculousness of head-fi. Want to see an example? Read the head-fi thread on the new monoprice headphones then go read the one on sbaf. Very different cultures.

My impression is that Head-Fi has more dumb shit like expensive cables and power line purifiers, but is more accessible.

SBAF is more technically comptetent and analytical, better argumentation, but atmosphere feels much more uptight.

In my opinion? Yeah, but for totally different reasons. Don't get me wrong, SBAF is a decent place for recommendations (provided you do your own research too) and it certainly doesn't match HF's particular flavor of crazy.

HF is full of idiots, but that's pretty much unavoidable for a forum that big. SBAF tried to avoid this with the rep system, but that brings its own set of problems too. At least they're not shy to admit it. They really do represent the best and worst aspects of a typical "boys club". Hell, the forum name alone should clue you in on their nature :p

There's some circle jerking and confirmation bias going on, but it's pretty easy too spot. As always, it's best to trust your own ears.

Thanks guys, I'll lurk it then, since Head-Fi is a no no for me, except for Stoddard's thread which I find very low profile and super interesting (when Jason post a new chapter).

scotcheggz

Hey guys, just a quick one, what's the concensus on Beats build quality etc? I have a pair of Grados for home use but I don't really like taking them outside due to the open backs, and I fret about them in weather a bit, even more so with winter coming.

So I was looking at some headphones and I just liked the colour of this one pair of solo2 headphones. I've sort of heard bad things about Beats, but I've never tested any myself. I'm not going to tear up if the sound quality isn't top notch as these are just for when I'm out and about, listening on my phone and getting things done anyway, but for the price, I'd like to know that they're not going to fall apart after a little use. Anyone have any experience, thoughts?

Tommy DJ

No, signal/noise ratio is definitely getting/got far more worse than the Changstar days. Which was what SBAF was before SBAF. The issue has nothing to do with the price of gear they talk about. Its how they discuss equipment, tweaks and mods now, which definitely didn't exist before.

Suggesting good budget equipment is something Head-Fi still does so I dunno what you mean by that statement. The issue with Head-Fi is the signal/noise ratio, the quick acceptance of pseudoscience if a respected member states a dubious claim, and the herd mentality. All of these issues now exist with SBAF with its rapid expansion...I mean look at the hype train for the Sony ZX2/Schiit Jodie, Hands seriously talking about volume pot rolling and more members taking shit like cyro-cable treatments seriously. That's the sort of shit I expect to see on Head-Fi, What Hi-Fi, Stereophile forums, not a site that attempted to connect the objective with the subjective.

Honestly, the main difference between SBAF and Head-Fi is that a lot of folks actually have the means to measure headphones properly. Which is why I say that their headphone content is still pretty good because there is still an expectation that you're going to get objective information to prove someone's subjective impressions on the site. It also helps that "change your life" mods are generally expected to be objectively proven (see: HE-6 modding).

And really, I think the claim that people shouldn't take them too seriously is just so that they can get away with casual racism and constantly use of pejoratives. They take audio just as seriously as any other audiophile site so it definitely doesn't refer to that. It isn't terribly surprising when OJneg, one of the admins who used to provide good content when he wasn't a complete prick, is basically an stereotypical alt-right member now but its still supremely disappointing to see supported by the administration and a good number of frequent posters.

sirap

And really, I think the claim that people shouldn't take them too seriously is just so that they can get away with casual racism and constantly use of pejoratives. They take audio just as seriously as any other audiophile site so it definitely doesn't refer to that. It isn't terribly surprising when OJneg, one of the admins who used to provide good content when he wasn't a complete prick, is basically an stereotypical alt-right member now but its still supremely disappointing to see supported by the administration and a good number of frequent posters.

Sexism too. Quite disgusting seeing mods let that shit slide, but like I said, they are a boys club through and through.

I'm not really surprised though, considering the type of person who can afford expensive audio equipment.

Waikis

Getting my two Yggdrasils tomorrow, and finally have confirmation that Schiit are building my Ragnarok. Starting to get pretty excite.

Two months to go until I get to listen to all of them, in our new flat.

Do we have any Stax SR-009 owners here btw?

Old message, but i only just saw it.
I have 009 + bhse :D.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Old message, but i only just saw it.
I have 009 + bhse :D.

Oh wow, that is the ultimate combo according to the reviews I have seen. I guess it's pointless to ask whether you like them :D but have you had a chance to compare them to other top of the line headphones like HD800S, HE-1000, LCD-3 etc.?

Waikis

Oh wow, that is the ultimate combo according to the reviews I have seen. I guess it's pointless to ask whether you like them :D but have you had a chance to compare them to other top of the line headphones like HD800S, HE-1000, LCD-3 etc.?

I started with with the Sennheiser house sound for a long time up to HD800. Great soundstage and all but I'm more of a transparency and accuracy kind of guy, so I went with Stax.

All the top headphones have their pros and cons imo.
Stax = transparent but weak bass
Senn = great soundstage (and holy shit so comfy) but annoying top end peak
Audeze = punchy planar bass and alluring mid but QA issue and a bit veiled for me
Hifiman sits in the middle of all three, some people like it because that's a middle ground, but others feel it's too polite.

Can't say there's a true winner between the top models.

Top Bottom