• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Chittagong

Gold Member
I started with with the Sennheiser house sound for a long time up to HD800. Great soundstage and all but I'm more of a transparency and accuracy kind of guy, so I went with Stax.

All the top headphones have their pros and cons imo.
Stax = transparent but weak bass
Senn = great soundstage (and holy shit so comfy) but annoying top end peak
Audeze = punchy planar bass and alluring mid but QA issue and a bit veiled for me
Hifiman sits in the middle of all three, some people like it because that's a middle ground, but others feel it's too polite.

Can't say there's a true winner between the top models.

Nice, thanks for the write up, sounds quite aligned to my criteria. I felt the LCD-3s were too dark and close, and Sennheiser 800Ss felt a bit overly crisp, so HE-1000s felt like the best middleground.

Never had a chance to listen to 009s but hearing your impressions about the bass is a relief, as that is quite important to me - but not at the expense of soundstage.

Aiii

So not worth it
So uh, I was going to buy the QC35 then I see Sony is introducing the MDR-1000X.

I think, huh, what? and proceed to find reviews. It appears this thing is an absolute knockout in all departments, especially ANC.

Thoughts?

Had these for three weeks, they are great. Amazing ANC, great soundstage (through aptX and AAC both). Definitely better than the QC35.

This review does a good job summing up my own thoughts: http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-mdr-1000x-review

Xander51

Apologies in advance, I'm an audio noob and I come in peace.

I've had a pair of hyperx cloud 2's for about a year, I love them but I'm looking to take my first step into "real" audio.

I've narrowed it down to either Sennheiser hd558 or hd598, or the Philips shp9500. The Philips pair is much cheaper obviously, but my curiosity has me leaning toward the Sennheisers. Any suggestions?

Also would like to get a decent amp/DAC or a sound card. Suggestions on those are welcome.

I'm primarily a PC user, and will use them for gaming and some music listening.

Thanks, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by just asking for purchase advice.

Hyper X Cloud headphones are Takstar Pro 80 clones, and thus are technically capable headphones that present a value at that price point. You already have headphones that are representative of real audio. The open nature of the Sennheiser will undoubtedly grant you great improvements in soundstage and are super comfortable but technical aren't much more capable in other regards, imo of course. I think you'll have to look in the greater than $200 range to net significant improvements.

HiResDes is spot-on, in my opinion. The Cloud II/Pro 80 is a fantastic headphone for the price, and none of the models you've suggested are much of a step up. In fact, I think the Pro 80 sounds better than all of them to my personal taste.

You also probably won't need a better sound card unless you buy something really hard to drive. Most on-board audio is quite capable now. Only invest in a new DAC if you're hearing noise/hiss on your headphones, or need to power something in the 300ohm range.

Sexism too. Quite disgusting seeing mods let that shit slide, but like I said, they are a boys club through and through.

I'm not really surprised though, considering the type of person who can afford expensive audio equipment.

This I definitely agree on. A couple of the members I try and avoid because of that. As a liberal athiest, I doubt my opinion on political and social matters would be welcome.

I'm mostly there for the headphone info and gear pairings. They do a great job at getting together info on exceptional systems that has good synergy together. I cringe everytime on HF when someone is using or recommending the O2 for an hd6x0.

Plus, although it's getting worse due to the growth, signal to noise ratio is a lot better still than on HF.

HiResDes is spot-on, in my opinion. The Cloud II/Pro 80 is a fantastic headphone for the price, and none of the models you've suggested are much of a step up. In fact, I think the Pro 80 sounds better than all of them to my personal taste.

You also probably won't need a better sound card unless you buy something really hard to drive. Most on-board audio is quite capable now. Only invest in a new DAC if you're hearing noise/hiss on your headphones, or need to power something in the 300ohm range.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I might just stick with the Cloud 2 for a bit.

Linius

Decided to audition the B&W P7 for about an hour straight just now. As I pretty much knew from earlier short sessions I love the sound of it for a broad range of genres. It's just not very comfortable to me when using it for a longer periode of time. Really high pressure on my head from both the top and the ear cups. Too bad because I really like the sound.

LQX

Fostex variants(D5000; TH-X00; E-Mu Teak; TH610; and TH900mk2) comparisons from Tyll of InnerFidelity. He does not like the TH900 at all. He considers the TH-X00 a bargain but prefers the E-Mu Teak both of which he thinks sounds the best.

Speaking of the E-Mu Teak, they promised a detachable cable version so we should be seeing those soon on Massdrop. My interest is really piked on the Teak as they now sell their cup variants separately which you switch out to match the sound of the orginal TH-X00, Purpleheart or Ebony.

Fostex_Variants_Measurements_Photo_Main_1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR_Ug-1dZVU

Soodanim

Just purchased the HD598 SEs in an Amazon UK Lightning deal. £100. Hoping it lives up to the comfort claims, I need something better for long wearing sessions than my DT770 Pros.

Also bought a dual headphone hook for the underside of my desk. Maybe the 770s would be looser if I kept them on the right stand, but it's all about space issues. I did the book thing when I first got them and even manually stretched them, but the latter scares me.

HiResDes

Would the Philips SHP9500 be a good upgrade from the cloud 2 (takstar pro 80)? Wanting to try an open back pair for gaming.
If you're gonna try an open back at least get one with a wide airy soundstage, the Philips are pretty intimate sounding for an open back to me. Also they can get a bit shrill and overall are probably less balanced objectively than the Cloud. Check out the Sennheiser 598 or the AD700 instead.

scotcheggz

Hey guys, just a quick one, what's the concensus on Beats build quality etc? I have a pair of Grados for home use but I don't really like taking them outside due to the open backs, and I fret about them in weather a bit, even more so with winter coming.

So I was looking at some headphones and I just liked the colour of this one pair of solo2 headphones. I've sort of heard bad things about Beats, but I've never tested any myself. I'm not going to tear up if the sound quality isn't top notch as these are just for when I'm out and about, listening on my phone and getting things done anyway, but for the price, I'd like to know that they're not going to fall apart after a little use. Anyone have any experience, thoughts?

I'm going to answer my own question, in case anyone is interested...

The solo2 turned up today so I put them into my headphone amp for a test run. Everything played off vinyl, REGA deck and amp. I have a few recordings which I always go to for testing audio gear since they're produced with clarity and transparency. At first I was pretty disappointed with the beats, the parts in songs like Kings of Convenience and Richard Hawley that can really leave me breathless with my Grados were flat and uninspiring in comparison, but to be fair, they're like £300 more expensive than the beats so that's not unexpected really. I tried a bit of Miles Davis after and Kind of Blue actually sounded very excellent, I was quite happily suprised. Stuff like Sonic Youth, Shellac and godspeed did a good job and sounded well pushed but not hurried at all, but noticeably bass heavy. I went to Kaiju dub next, expecting them to shine and holy fuck, not wrong... Tight bass that you can fill your belly on. Toots and the Maytals equally awesome, lively and fun listening, real bass heavy still but the mids weren't crowded out at all. I popped on some Wu and they just fucking smashed it. They handled Venetian Snares real nice too, basically anything electronic they spanked my Grado to be honest.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy witht he sound overall, they are definitely too warm for me if I was at home, but I never bought them for that and for going outside I really can't complain. They leak a lot less noise than my open backed Grado obviously, they're comfortable and I can barely hear a thing from the main road when they're on with no music playing so that's ace. Build quality is good and I'm not afraid they'll fall apart even though they're probably not going to get treated too preciously in their role, which is really my number 1 thing here, I hated taking my grado outside. Overall decent and I'm pretty pleased, they'll do a nice job for portable listening when I'm trudging through the city. Obvs they look saucy as fuck too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fostex variants(D5000; TH-X00; E-Mu Teak; TH610; and TH900mk2) comparisons from Tyll of InnerFidelity. He does not like the TH900 at all. He considers the TH-X00 a bargain but prefers the E-Mu Teak both of which he thinks sounds the best.

Speaking of the E-Mu Teak, they promised a detachable cable version so we should be seeing those soon on Massdrop. My interest is really piked on the Teak as they now sell their cup variants separately which you switch out to match the sound of the orginal TH-X00, Purpleheart or Ebony.

Fostex_Variants_Measurements_Photo_Main_1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR_Ug-1dZVU

Awesome review, thanks for the heads up. I'm just stunned by how good the TH-X00s seem to be, it's nuts they can't be bought regularly.

Shame that he didn't have the TH-600s in the review, since I have them and really like them. The smiley shaped sound signature is true, the slamming bass is right to my tastes but the treble can get a bit hard in some select Royksopp / Robyn tracks.

Hilarious how much he hated the TH-900s, but not entirely surprising since not-superb-but-expensive gear runs him the wrong way (see - LCD-4s).

Need to have the E-Mu Teaks on my radar.

Awesome review, thanks for the heads up. I'm just stunned by how good the TH-X00s seem to be, it's nuts they can't be bought regularly.

Shame that he didn't have the TH-600s in the review, since I have them and really like them. The smiley shaped aound signature is true, the slamming bass is right to my tastes but the treble can get a bit hard in some select Royksopp / Robyn tracks.

Hilarious how much he hated the TH-900s, but not entirely surprising since not-superb-but-expensive gear runs him the wrong way (see - LCD-4s).

Need to have the E-Mu Teaks on my radar.

EMU Teak can be bought from Chan directly any time. Can also order cups from him.

The 900's are strange headphones. Die hard following like many niche things but the few times I heard them they just seemed to exist. I wouldn't say they were bad but I would not purchase them myselves.

Seeing some of Chittagong's pics makes me envious but good on you sir. How do you like the Rag as an amp now that you have had it for a few days?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seeing some of Chittagong's pics makes me envious but good on you sir. How do you like the Rag as an amp now that you have had it for a few days?

Unfortunately since we are between flats, the Ragnarok is now in storage along with the Yggdrasil, HE-1000 and Genelecs until our new flat is ready. So didn't get to listen to it yet, and it will be a month or two before I do - unbearable!

Xander51

Read through the text version of Tyll's Fostex review. Interesting. That whole line has always been a little too rich for my blood, but I think they look gorgeous.

Read through the text version of Tyll's Fostex review. Interesting. That whole line has always been a little too rich for my blood, but I think they look gorgeous.

I can see that. Prices in general are becoming crazy.

The 900's always seemed a few hundred overpriced.

leng jai

The TH-X00 line is pretty reasonably priced all things considered. $399 is essentially peanuts in today's high end headphone market, which is a bit ridiculous in itself.

Xander51

The TH-X00 line is pretty reasonably priced all things considered. $399 is essentially peanuts in today's high end headphone market, which is a bit ridiculous in itself.

Yes, that's the one I've almost pulled the trigger on a couple of times, but haven't quite made myself do it. I'm impressed at how the high-end market has exploded in the last few years. I try not to spend more than $300 dollars total any time I'm diving back down the audio rabbit hole, haha. That's not always as easy as it used to be.

LtOrange

I am hoping to get some help with my current setup. I have a Xbox One, PS4, and PC that I use the same headphones & microphone on. I am currently unplugging my headphones every time I change between the three systems and it is driving me crazy.

These are my three main questions:

1. What would I need to buy so that I can stop the constant cord switching? A central hub for all my audio would be a godsend.

2. Is it possible to get the audio from the PS4 and PC into my headphones at the same time? I would like to listen to music on my PC while getting audio from the PS4 for example.

3. Is there a way for me to use a microphone on the Xbox, PS4, and PC without physically changing the inputs?

I apologize if this is the wrong place for these questions.

Xander51

I am hoping to get some help with my current setup. I have a Xbox One, PS4, and PC that I use the same headphones & microphone on. I am currently unplugging my headphones every time I change between the three systems and it is driving me crazy.

These are my three main questions:

1. What would I need to buy so that I can stop the constant cord switching? A central hub for all my audio would be a godsend.

2. Is it possible to get the audio from the PS4 and PC into my headphones at the same time? I would like to listen to music on my PC while getting audio from the PS4 for example.

3. Is there a way for me to use a microphone on the Xbox, PS4, and PC without physically changing the inputs?

I apologize if this is the wrong place for these questions.

Probably a Bluetooth headset really.

Sadly, the PS4 and the Xbox One don't support Bluetooth headsets. A receiver with enough inputs and a headphone out should do the trick, for audio at least. Microphone thing makes it tougher. I think most headset manufacturers just expect that you'll deal with moving a cable.

LtOrange

Sadly, the PS4 and the Xbox One don't support Bluetooth headsets. A receiver with enough inputs and a headphone out should do the trick, for audio at least. Microphone thing makes it tougher. I think most headset manufacturers just expect that you'll deal with moving a cable.

That's what I figured. Thank you!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm in love with the FA-011. They seriously make me happy.

Sadly, the PS4 and the Xbox One don't support Bluetooth headsets.
Whaaaaaaat? Weird ass, anciently solved limitations make me feel like console gamers are still trapped in a 2006 time loop.

Looking for recommendations on what would be the next step or steps up from a pair of Audio-Technica ath-ad900xs. Looking for something that sounds similar or an all rounder/something with good highs and mids but maybe even as important is the same comfort or more comfortable. Wearing these headphones is like wearing almost nothing. They don't clamp my head and I can wear them for hours and never really get tired. Considering I have a rather large head I've tried some other ones including the a900x's and they weren't as comfortable. Any ideas?

Anybody in here aware of a headphone cable with a lightning connector...or is it too early for these to be available yet?

(I have the B&O H6's)

Xander51

Wait, ps4 and xbone don't support bluetooth headsets?

Whaaaaaaat? Weird ass, anciently solved limitations make me feel like console gamers are still trapped in a 2006 time loop.

Now that I think about it, all bluetooth gaming headsets for consoles come with a USB bluetooth plug. Not natively supported by just pairing with the console like you would a smartphone.

Yeah, it's really stupid! The PS4 has a bluetooth antenna...but the pairing menu won't let you connect headphones or headsets. I've tried. I don't think the Xbox One even contains Bluetooth hardware at all. It uses WiFi direct for its controllers. The new controller has a bluetooth radio, but only for PC use.

I suspect that this is all so Microsoft and Sony can extract additional licensing fees from third parties by forcing them to create dongles.

LQX

Sennheiser GSX 1000 Audio Amplifier is coming later this month. They claim to have a "groundbreaking 7.1 Virtual Surround Algorithm" which makes their virtual surround sound different from the others.

Product Highlights
  • 7.1. Virtual Surround Sound
  • USB Connectivity
  • Dedicated DAC Chip
  • LED Touch Display
  • 3 x 3.5mm Audio Jacks
  • USB Cable Included
  • Windows and Mac Compatible
$229. No information on the amp. Also no software install, you change the surround settings on the unit itself.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-amplifier-gsx-1000

Not a fan of the headphone jack on back, but then again I use an extender and adapter with my amp as I switch headphones so often. Going to look out for feedback on it as I need another DAC and actually miss having virtual surround sound in my games.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Anybody knows a place where i can buy short HD800s cables? I use them mainly in front of my Mac, no need to have several feed of cable clogging my table. Is there a way to buy the Sennheiser (proprietary ?) Connectors? So I could solder a cable myself.

Anybody knows a place where i can buy short HD800s cables? I use them mainly in front of my Mac, no need to have several feed of cable clogging my table. Is there a way to buy the Sennheiser (proprietary ?) Connectors? So I could solder a cable myself.

You can find the connectors from Chinese EBay. You can also find boutique cabling places that will do it as well.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sennheiser GSX 1000 Audio Amplifier is coming later this month. They claim to have a "groundbreaking 7.1 Virtual Surround Algorithm" which makes their virtual surround sound different from the others.

$229. No information on the amp. Also no software install, you change the surround settings on the unit itself.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-amplifier-gsx-1000

Not a fan of the headphone jack on back, but then again I use an extender and adapter with my amp as I switch headphones so often. Going to look out for feedback on it as I need another DAC and actually miss having virtual surround sound in my games.

Really surprising and kinda awesome, until I realised there doesn't seem to be optical.. ffs

Tommy DJ

No idea who sells affordable no bullshit DIY cables except for Best in the Verse Cables, who always seems to be backlogged with cable orders.

If you want to solder an entire cable from scratch yourself, I recommend the DHC Jumbo HD800 connectors. They're slightly easier to work with than the terrible stock connectors and have a much snugger connection than connectors from China. It also helps that the DHC Jumbo HD800 connectors just so happen to be some of the cheapest on the market...they're currently selling for $38 a pair.

The easiest option though is to simply cut your stock cable to your desired length and solder a Neutrik connector to the end of it. Neutrik connectors come with a flexible rubber sheath so you don't need any heatshrink or other material to make your re-termination/resizing job neat. Refer to the second post for wire colour codes for the stock TRS cable, I can confirm that it is correct.

yagal

My Piston3 just falled in the toilet while I was urinating, thankfully my LG G4 is safe.
So I'm looking for a IEM in the same price range. I don't wanna another Piston the build quality was meh
I was thinking about the Philips TX2BK. Good no good?

I noticed that the recommendation list on the first page only has two Grado Labs headphones on there. Is that to say that the rest of the Grado line isn't very good, or just that the OP hasn't read enough about them or used enough to determine if they're very good?

I ask becuase I have a pair of GL SR80i that I really like but am considering upgrading some day, and I'm wondering if sticking with the GL line makes sense or not.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
No idea who sells affordable no bullshit DIY cables except for Best in the Verse Cables, who always seems to be backlogged with cable orders.

If you want to solder an entire cable from scratch yourself, I recommend the DHC Jumbo HD800 connectors. They're slightly easier to work with than the terrible stock connectors and have a much snugger connection than connectors from China. It also helps that the DHC Jumbo HD800 connectors just so happen to be some of the cheapest on the market...they're currently selling for $38 a pair.

The easiest option though is to simply cut your stock cable to your desired length and solder a Neutrik connector to the end of it. Neutrik connectors come with a flexible rubber sheath so you don't need any heatshrink or other material to make your re-termination/resizing job neat. Refer to the second post for wire colour codes for the stock TRS cable, I can confirm that it is correct.

Thank you! The DHC Jumbo HD800 connectors are exactly what i was looking for. I rather not mess with my stock cables :D

Soodanim

What's with the triangluar pokey out bit in the cups on the HD598s? I'm not exactly Will Smith, but my ears do seem to touch them. I know they're brand new so they haven't worn in yet, but I'm not experiencing the comfort I expected from these right now. They do make me appreciate my 770s though, they're nice and soft and not itchy even if the clamp still gives me fatigue after a time.

Why shouldn't I just sell it all and buy some HD650s?

sgjackson

I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD461s and I'm having an issue with them that's driving me crazy - they don't work with my laptop. All the bass goes away and they sound like I'm listening through a tin can. The only device they sound like this is on my laptop - desktop works, Iphone works, Ipad works, another laptop works. My laptop also doesn't have this issue with other headphones - I have a pair of broken NVX XPT100 that work, cheap earbuds also work. What could be causing this?

I'm really close to getting a cheap, portable USB DAC like the Hifimandiy Sabre to attempt to fix this.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I knew roughly what Schiit was going to announce, but it's only now sinking in what a monumental, potentially industry-changing and definitely company-changing milestone it is - Schiit are now a general audio company, not just a headphone gear company. They're now catering speaker users with the same amazing price/performance ratio. Hell, they even have remote controls all around in the new lineup.

LQX

I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD461s and I'm having an issue with them that's driving me crazy - they don't work with my laptop. All the bass goes away and they sound like I'm listening through a tin can. The only device they sound like this is on my laptop - desktop works, Iphone works, Ipad works, another laptop works. My laptop also doesn't have this issue with other headphones - I have a pair of broken NVX XPT100 that work, cheap earbuds also work. What could be causing this?

I'm really close to getting a cheap, portable USB DAC like the Hifimandiy Sabre to attempt to fix this.

Those headphones really shouldn't be hard to push being only 32 Ohm but it still most likely your laptop as laptop onboard audio is still often shit. Whats your laptop? Also check your driver settings to make sure the headphone is being recognized as a headphone and not a speaker as that could also be the culprit.

Servbot24

Banned
I knew roughly what Schiit was going to announce, but it's only now sinking in what a monumental, potentially industry-changing and definitely company-changing milestone it is - Schiit are now a general audio company, not just a headphone gear company. They're now catering speaker users with the same amazing price/performance ratio. Hell, they even have remote controls all around in the new lineup.

Seems like the sort of thing one could design their set-up around. Need to see more but sounds good so far.

sgjackson

Those headphones really shouldn't be hard to push being only 32 Ohm but it still most likely your laptop as laptop onboard audio is still often shit. Whats your laptop? Also check your driver settings to make sure the headphone is being recognized as a headphone and not a speaker as that could also be the culprit.

It's an ASUS UX305LA. I manually set the sound output to go to headphones rather than speakers and had the same problem.

LQX

It's an ASUS UX305LA. I manually set the sound output to go to headphones rather than speakers and had the same problem.

Try this...
Try using audio wizard and select movie mode, I found that increase the maximum volume quite a bit

If that recommendation doesn't work I would say check to see if there is a driver update that may have fixed the issue.

If the last resort is a headphone Amp/DAC what's your budget?

sgjackson

Try this...

If that recommendation doesn't work I would say check to see if there is a driver update that may have fixed the issue.

If the last resort is a headphone Amp/DAC what's your budget?

the audio wizard didn't fix it - movie mode being louder is useful info for the future though.

i'm going to try a windows reinstall with fresh drivers just to cover my bases before i look at dacs. i want to spend under 50 ideally. need something portable too. was looking at the hifimediy sabre based on some googling.

The Vidar looks amazing. 100 W @ 8 Ohms / 200 W @ 4 Ohms in Stereo, or 400 W @ 8 Ohms in Mono, at USD699 is terrific.

I still can't find any pictures of these new products, damn it >:/

LQX

the audio wizard didn't fix it - movie mode being louder is useful info for the future though.

i'm going to try a windows reinstall with fresh drivers just to cover my bases before i look at dacs. i want to spend under 50 ideally. need something portable too. was looking at the hifimediy sabre based on some googling.

That Sabre looks pretty decent and seems to be a good buy at that price. Might be more useful as a DAC rather than a Amp though so you might still have volume issues.

Wait a bit to see if others can give some more insight on it.

Top Bottom