• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Xander51

What's with the triangluar pokey out bit in the cups on the HD598s? I'm not exactly Will Smith, but my ears do seem to touch them. I know they're brand new so they haven't worn in yet, but I'm not experiencing the comfort I expected from these right now. They do make me appreciate my 770s though, they're nice and soft and not itchy even if the clamp still gives me fatigue after a time.

Why shouldn't I just sell it all and buy some HD650s?

That triangle bit hides the wires inside the ear cup. Common to all the HD5XX models. Always thought that was a strange choice, considering the size of the ear cups.

sgjackson

That Sabre looks pretty decent and seems to be a good buy at that price. Might be more useful as a DAC rather than a Amp though so you might still have volume issues.

Wait a bit to see if others can give some more insight on it.

it's less a volume issue and more of an absence of bass issue - like in an edm track the kick drum is inaudible and the higher end is distorted.

edit: would you get the sabre or the fiio k1

The Vidar looks amazing. 100 W @ 8 Ohms / 200 W @ 4 Ohms in Stereo, or 400 W @ 8 Ohms in Mono, at USD699 is terrific.

I still can't find any pictures of these new products, damn it >:/

index.php

Hahaha, I came to post the same image :D, thanks anyway!

The Pre looks amazing, the amp is kinda weird looking but still rather small considering is a Class A/B amp and the power it delivers.

longdi

Banned
Is Schitt really that good and vfm? I have the impression they are more like those millennial company that markets themselves as internet based, angry and thinking out of the box.

I see their product outlook, and they don't look overbuilt and they are not really cheap. When you talk about DAC and hi-res audio, there is always a sense of snake oil as to how much a difference you can hear, if at all.

LQX

it's less a volume issue and more of an absence of bass issue - like in an edm track the kick drum is inaudible and the higher end is distorted.

edit: would you get the sabre or the fiio k1

I have seen more praise for the K1 so for me it would be the one to get especially being that it is newer and I have used other Fiio DACs/Amps and think highly of them though they are very cheap(price wise).

LQX

Is Schitt really that good and vfm? I have the impression they are more like those millennial company that markets themselves as internet based, angry and thinking out of the box.

I see their product outlook, and they don't look overbuilt and they are not really cheap. When you talk about DAC and hi-res audio, there is always a sense of snake oil as to how much a difference you can hear, if at all.

Schiit is the real deal IMO. I loved the Asgard 2 and cant wait to get my Jotunheim. Their equipment from the cheapest to the most expensive is very well built. And their prices relative to that build quality and engineering I think makes them stand out more-so than even these billion dollar companies like Sony. And just look at something like the Magni or Modi in contrast to what you can get under for under $150. They are blessing for many as a lot of these companies that make audio equipment either make cheap shit or over priced shit.

They are the second coming of Christ in the audio world.

Schiit gear is not only great the company is very open about their goals and are hands on with the community. Jason has a thread over on head-fi that is brilliant if you want to know more about Schiit and his philosophies in audio.

In addition to what others have already said, I'll add in that Schiit is not an angry millennial company (not that being millennials would be a bad thing). Both Mike and Jason have many many years of experience. You can read up on their history on the website or the "book" Jason wrote/is still writing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Noble savanna. 4 BA drivers. Cost about 630 with all the customization that I wanted, but $550 vanilla, but that's with a 20% discount. $700 normal I believe.

I've demo'd the universal version, though there can be variances between custom and universal. Liked the sound quite a bit. Great clarity, pretty neutral, but there is enough warmth in the bass to not come off as sterile, but the bass isn't exactly slow either. Still very clean and quick. Decent soundstage, slight roll in the sub bass, but I have my bass iems already, and might get another custom basshead one depending on how the Empire Ear's savage lineup turns out.

thuway

Is that Schiit amplifier for loudspeakers? If so, how does it compare to the monoprice 200X7 power amp? That thing looked like a cheap beast as well.

Tommy DJ

The Monoprice is basically a rebrand of an ATI design from memory. Competent but nothing special. Its also more expensive, much heavier, and larger.

The Schiit design measures exceptionally if their Jotunheim is anything to go by. Its also fully balanced.

The only possible catch is that they use an auto-biasing microprocessor, in order to eliminate DC servos and coupling caps, which has to determine what is music and what isn't. For most things, the microprocessor worked fine in the older Ragnarok amp they designed but distortion increases heavily if fed difficult below 4 ohm loads or loads that start to resemble something similar to a continuous tone (think EDM).

Its a novel solution to a problem that was never really a problem ever that introduced some new problems that people would actually encounter if they listened to more than audiophile bait music or used speakers that had impedance curves that dipped below 4 ohms.

Considering its been a while since the Ragnarok, I think they'd have improved the microprocessor so it won't have the same sort of issues. But we won't know until someone actually measures it.

Hello boys and girls. I am seeking some D.A.P. guidance/advice please. I have been using my smartphone for the last year or so for music etc but for awhile now have been feeling the need to return to a dedicated device for this. I have owned and used a few over the years e.g. iPod Shuffle but never anything in the audiophile end of the market. Now however I wish to step my game up so would appreciate some advice/recommendations. I've been giving this some thought and would be happy with a FiiO X3 ii as it should be a good upgrade for me without going too deep down the audiophile rabbit hole too soon and it would not break the bank. However, are there any other make/models I should consider that share the same space in the market? As I said, I would be happy with an X3 ii but just wish to ensure I'm not overlooking a viable alternative. Any advice/recommendations for me to consider would be much appreciated. Thanks :).

HiResDes

Hello boys and girls. I am seeking some D.A.P. guidance/advice please. I have been using my smartphone for the last year or so for music etc but for awhile now have been feeling the need to return to a dedicated device for this. I have owned and used a few over the years e.g. iPod Shuffle but never anything in the audiophile end of the market. Now however I wish to step my game up so would appreciate some advice/recommendations. I've been giving this some thought and would be happy with a FiiO X3 ii as it should be a good upgrade for me without going too deep down the audiophile rabbit hole too soon and it would not break the bank. However, are there any other make/models I should consider that share the same space in the market? As I said, I would be happy with an X3 ii but just wish to ensure I'm not overlooking a viable alternative. Any advice/recommendations for me to consider would be much appreciated. Thanks :).
Xduoo X3

Thanks Des :).

*Googles* :eek: that's half the price! Looks like a great recommendation though from my initial reading [not that that should be any surprise :p ]. Much appreciated sir.

The Amazon UK page for the X3ii gives the Cowon Plenue D as an alternative choice. I need to do some reading on that too as it is a sexy little bugger! I'm not sure yet if that would be enough for me to justify spending another £50 odd over the X3ii or another £125 over your suggestion but looks are all part of package. *coughs nervously hoping to avoid an accusation of being shallow*

As others have pointed out, Schiit is the real deal.

It's not like people claims they are offering "the best sound evaaaa!!!!", but products that perform fantastic, sound great and -this is the final key element- at a great price.

It's not only the persons who have bought their products but also pretty much every review, where the emphasis is put in the quality/price ratio they offer. To put it simply: yes, other companies offer the same quality as Schiit, but most of the time at a considerable higher price.

They are also very open to the community, which is very rare in the industry. They even talk about their fuck ups when developing a product, and they do it with a sense of humor that I really like :D

Is that Schiit amplifier for loudspeakers? If so, how does it compare to the monoprice 200X7 power amp? That thing looked like a cheap beast as well.

Yes, Vidar is a loudspeaker amp, but it's way too early to compare it to any other amp, since yesterday it was showcased for the first time.

This amp most likely will use the same Pivot Point Topology they were developing for a couple of years. Jason stated it can be used from small desktop amps to really big power amps. Jotunheim is so far the only amp that uses that topology and has received excellent reviews, so it's kinda safe to assume this new power amp will be great too, but how great? it's to be seen (heard :p).

I've been waiting for these products since they were announced, but even considering I really love the brand, I'll wait until there are a good amount of reviews before pulling the trigger to buy both the Freya and Vidar.

Regards.

EDIT: Ok, this is Saga (the cheaper pre)...

eVvAKpD.jpg

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me with my final decision. Looking to get new cans for Christmas (almost exclusively for gaming) and I've narrowed down my choices to three.

I currently have ATH-AD700. Had them for quite a few years (5-6+). I really enjoy them, but I'm looking for an upgrade. They've always felt a little "loose" on my head (I don't like how you can't tighten them...I notice it sounds better when I "push" the headphones closer into my ears but I can't make them stay like that). The top cushions are also showing some wear and tear - the metal parts are starting to "poke" through the foam padding at the top and are drilling into my head.

Here is what I narrowed down to:

Seinnheiser HD 598
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium
AKG Pro Audio K702

Which one of these seems like the best overall upgrade coming from the AD700s? Looking to not spend more than $250-300, so other recommendations are more than welcome.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I'm mostly looking for comfort and phones that will give me an "immersive" gaming experience, as I mostly play single player.

Hope you can guys can help! Thanks so much.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Is there really nobody in the show with a mobile phone who could snap a picture of the remote control? Such a weird launch, just a PR but no pics

Is there really nobody in the show with a mobile phone who could snap a picture of the remote control? Such a weird launch, just a PR but no pics

Wait until tomorrow or monday, most probably that's when the webpage will be updated to show the new products (as far as I can remember, that's how it went on previous launches. They wait until the show is over to update the website).

Also, we should expect a new chapter from Jason about the development of Saga, Freya & Vidar.

I'm not sure Vidar will appear in full glory in the webpage, though. Somebody at Headfi (IIRC) said it's still a prototype, and considering they plan to begin to sell it during Q1 2017, it kinda supports the idea that it's not a finished product yet.

We'll see.

HiResDes

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me with my final decision. Looking to get new cans for Christmas (almost exclusively for gaming) and I've narrowed down my choices to three.

I currently have ATH-AD700. Had them for quite a few years (5-6+). I really enjoy them, but I'm looking for an upgrade. They've always felt a little "loose" on my head (I don't like how you can't tighten them...I notice it sounds better when I "push" the headphones closer into my ears but I can't make them stay like that). The top cushions are also showing some wear and tear - the metal parts are starting to "poke" through the foam padding at the top and are drilling into my head.

Seinnheiser HD 598
AKG Pro Audio K702

Which one of these seems like the best overall upgrade coming from the AD700s? Looking to not spend more than $250-300, so other recommendations are more than welcome.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I'm mostly looking for comfort and phones that will give me an "immersive" gaming experience, as I mostly play single player.

Consider the Sony MDRMA900 as well probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever had on my head edging out the 598 and X1 ever so slightly

Hi all,

Seinnheiser HD 598
AKG Pro Audio K702

I really enjoy my 598s that I use for gaming, however I think the k702 would serve your purposes better. Look into buying them from Amazon UK. After shipping it came out to $165 for me about a month ago.

I'm looking for compact, lightweight, closed back, over the ear headphones. Budget is around $100, it will be for mobile use so I will need something with low impedance and I don't want anything flashy. Any recommendations? So far I narrowed it down to Koss Pro4s and Audio Technica M40x but the M40x may be a little too big and heavy for my liking.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hi all,

Seinnheiser HD 598
AKG Pro Audio K702

I bought AKG K712s (which I assume are very similar to the K702s) for gaming, based on recommendations here, and they are phenomenal for that use. The soundstage is insane, the directionality is phenomenal, the amount of detail you can pick up is amazing. You really are in the game world.

They are also very light and incredibly comfortable, even for long periods of time.

Now, they are a very airy headset, so they wouldn't be my choice for music, but for gaming, they are as good as I've ever heard.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Can anyone recommend something decent for travel - preferably on ear (bonus if foldable) and not crazy with the sound leak?

Thinking of something like the JVC Flats or PX100s, so just wondering what other popular options are. Can be clip on too or whatever.

Price range is something on the cheaper end I guess. The JVCs are priced almost at the throwaway range which is fine, but if I'm going into PX100 price territory, I wouldn't mind using them at home as well instead of just on a plane.

andylsun

Can anyone recommend something decent for travel - preferably on ear (bonus if foldable) and not crazy with the sound leak?

Thinking of something like the JVC Flats or PX100s, so just wondering what other popular options are. Can be clip on too or whatever.

Price range is something on the cheaper end I guess. The JVCs are priced almost at the throwaway range which is fine, but if I'm going into PX100 price territory, I wouldn't mind using them at home as well instead of just on a plane.

PX100 are very open, you want PX200 for a plane. PXC-250 with active noise cancellation seem to be on clearance. I picked a pair up at target for $40 last year and used them in my last flight to HK.

Rodin

Sennheiser HD 598 SE just went on sale on amazon.it, they're 119€. Can i use them without an amp? Otherwise i'll just go with the Solo2 (same price).

Bloodember

Sennheiser HD 598 SE just went on sale on amazon.it, they're 119€. Can i use them without a DAC? Otherwise i'll just go with the Solo2 (same price).

Yes you can use them without a DAC, they're only 50 ohm. My brother uses his without a DAC all the time.

Xander51

Anybody have these:

Panasonic RP-HJE120 In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone

Amazon's best seller and sub 10 bucks? Can't go wrong.

I've got some Ergofits! Like you, picked them up after seeing all the great reviews. I think Wirecutter was very positive on them as well. I wanted an IEM I could throw into bags and step on and such, and they're cheap enough to replace if they break. They feel a tiny bit flimsy but they fit well and sound decent.

Linius

Bought some Comply earphone tips for my NAD HP20 today, should be working wonders for both sound and comfort. Very curious to see how they perform.

Thanks for all the help guys. My last question:

I have a Yamaha receiver that I use to plug my headphones into when I play my consoles. Is that receiver "driving" the headphones, making them sound better? It's the same thing as a separate amp, correct?

Am I losing any sound qualify if I do: PC HDMI (from video card into the receiver) -> Yamaha receiver -> headphones plugged into the Yamaha receiver. Is what I'm asking making any sense? Not an audiophile at all. But is this effectively working as an "amp"?

I originally bought the receiver to use for surround sound speakers when I lived at my parents. When I moved out into an apartment, I used it to plug my headphones in. Still "learning" about audio and I just stupidly made the connection that this might be working as an amp. Is that correct?

Edit/ TL;DR: I have a Yamaha RX-V373 receiver and I'm looking at getting the AKG K702s. PC/Consoles via HDMI thru the Yamaha receiver. Will I get the most out of the headphones this way?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My experience with using headphones through receivers is that it's not too bad. Dunno if it maxes out the potential of your headphones but eh.

From what i know they tend to have massive amounts of output impedance in their headphone outs. It's not really about amp = good, no amp = bad.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thanks for all the help guys. My last question:

I have a Yamaha receiver that I use to plug my headphones into when I play my consoles. Is that receiver "driving" the headphones, making them sound better? It's the same thing as a separate amp, correct?

Am I losing any sound qualify if I do: PC HDMI (from video card into the receiver) -> Yamaha receiver -> headphones plugged into the Yamaha receiver. Is what I'm asking making any sense? Not an audiophile at all. But is this effectively working as an "amp"?

I originally bought the receiver to use for surround sound speakers when I lived at my parents. When I moved out into an apartment, I used it to plug my headphones in. Still "learning" about audio and I just stupidly made the connection that this might be working as an amp. Is that correct?

Edit/ TL;DR: I have a Yamaha RX-V373 receiver and I'm looking at getting the AKG K702s. PC/Consoles via HDMI thru the Yamaha receiver. Will I get the most out of the headphones this way?

I have a Yamaha RX-A1020 and AKG K712s. I think they sound great through the amp for gaming, Yamaha's Silent Cinema headphone surround works really well for HDMI content. I have tried different things like using a MixAmp hooked to a console, and a Schiit Magni, but I think Yamaha produces the best results by far. Superb surround, great detail, lots of boom.

Xduoo X3 GET! :D

Well not yet unfortunately as I have to wait for delivery :(. Really excited though after all I have read about it. Thanks again for your recommendation Des.

Now however I would appreciate some more advice on a different matter if you fine people would be so kind.

I require a replacement audio lead for my Philips SHP9500/00 as I successfully deaded the existing one when re-configuring my study. My problem however is that I am profoundly ignorant about audio leads and do not wish to fall foul of the sort of snake oil shenanigans that those such as I might fall prey to. I was perfectly happy with the existing lead so do not need to concern myself with an 'upgrade' lead. Would something such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C73FAG6/

do the job? It looks roughly equivalent to me but as I say, I am hardly an expert!

Xander51

Xduoo X3 GET! :D

Well not yet unfortunately as I have to wait for delivery :(. Really excited though after all I have read about it. Thanks again for your recommendation Des.

Now however I would appreciate some more advice on a different matter if you fine people would be so kind.

I require a replacement audio lead for my Philips SHP9500/00 as I successfully deaded the existing one when re-configuring my study. My problem however is that I am profoundly ignorant about audio leads and do not wish to fall foul of the sort of snake oil shenanigans that those such as I might fall prey to. I was perfectly happy with the existing lead so do not need to concern myself with an 'upgrade' lead. Would something such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01C73FAG6/

do the job? It looks roughly equivalent to me but as I say, I am hardly an expert!

Yeah that one would be more than fine. The SHP9500 uses a standard jack, so any 3.5mm cable will do the trick.

Welp. Pulled the trigger on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's, 250 ohm.

Ultimately, these seemed to hit all the areas I was interested in. While I was leaning towards the AKG K702s for a while, it seemed like those would cater more towards competitive gaming. I play mostly single player, and it seemed a slightly bigger bass would benefit from that.

So, ultimately, I'll be going from the AD700's to the DT990's. 95% will be used for single player gaming, 5% for music.

Hope I made the right call! Will be sure to post impressions in the coming weeks.

Morning guys! So, quick question before work. I am looking for a pair of wireless headphones. Sick of wires, want good quality and I walk around 25 minutes too and from work. Also, want them for golf, which again why no wires is nice!

At the point where I think they're good enough to jump in, so more than willing to spend. Heard great things about the Beats Solo 3 (battery!), Sony (all around performance), Sennheiser (Not as good as the others?) and the Bose (sensational? Noise cancellation fantastic) and just really at a loss as what to choose.

Looks and performance are almost as important as each other, but they're all pretty good looking! Can't wait to get some options, I'm spoiling myself so looking at rather high end. Want to use these a lot for years to come.

leng jai

Welp. Pulled the trigger on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's, 250 ohm.

Ultimately, these seemed to hit all the areas I was interested in. While I was leaning towards the AKG K702s for a while, it seemed like those would cater more towards competitive gaming. I play mostly single player, and it seemed a slightly bigger bass would benefit from that.

So, ultimately, I'll be going from the AD700's to the DT990's. 95% will be used for single player gaming, 5% for music.

Hope I made the right call! Will be sure to post impressions in the coming weeks.

I hope you like treble mate.

Linius

Morning guys! So, quick question before work. I am looking for a pair of wireless headphones. Sick of wires, want good quality and I walk around 25 minutes too and from work. Also, want them for golf, which again why no wires is nice!

At the point where I think they're good enough to jump in, so more than willing to spend. Heard great things about the Beats Solo 3 (battery!), Sony (all around performance), Sennheiser (Not as good as the others?) and the Bose (sensational? Noise cancellation fantastic) and just really at a loss as what to choose.

Looks and performance are almost as important as each other, but they're all pretty good looking! Can't wait to get some options, I'm spoiling myself so looking at rather high end. Want to use these a lot for years to come.

Sennheiser Momentum Wireless are pretty great. Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless are pretty great too. If you have the chance I'd just go to a shop and audition some of these cans.

Xander51

Is it that bad? I've read this as one of the few negatives.

There didn't seem to be another headphone in this price range that beat this out for immersive gaming.

I won't be using them for music hardly ever.

Check out the frequency response graph and waterfall plot here:

http://en.goldenears.net/10634

The big peaks on the right side are the treble that will stab you in the ears if you use these at anything above a low volume. The 990 is famous for being bright. Bright headphones are not necessarily a bad thing, but it's an acquired taste for sure. You said you liked the AD700 before. I never used the original 700, but I did use the 700x. That's a bright headphone...but it's more airy and "fluffy" than sharp.

Also, the 990 250 ohms benefits from an amp, being 250 ohm.

Sennheiser Momentum Wireless are pretty great. Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless are pretty great too. If you have the chance I'd just go to a shop and audition some of these cans.

There isn't an audio shop here :( I've not heard as much good for the Sennheiser Momentum as the Bose/Sony options, and the Beats just seem convenient due to battery and work with the iPhone/MacBook Pro, both of which I own and use regularly.

Help guys, I want the right choice!

Top Bottom