• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Hi. Uhhh...my Sennheiser in ear headphones that I bought at the end of July are starting to break down, with the audio in the left channel starting to go, so I'm in the need for some new ones. Is there any make of headphone available with a reputation for reliability? €100 is the limit that I'm willing to pay.
Just in case no one saw it last page.

Tommy DJ

I could make an forever post about listening and experimenting with drivers and getting a ton of first hand comparisons of properly designed speakers. Speaker evaluation was my biggest hobby the past 5 years and I will undersign that most commercial speakers are crap and often bad crossovers are only part of the worries. Like the B&W 683 I heard recently definitely had some untamed resonances in the treble region which could be attributed to bad crossover but nothing can save that bass resolution. And the worst part was that when you look at the driver in photos it looks amazing!!!

So yeah, proper design first of course. Still, just listen to an AA Monitor and the Philharmonitor side to side. The difference will be obvious. If you care enough for it is another thing ;-) If I was in the US, I'd totally have gotten that for my surveilance workplace :)

The funny thing about the BMR Philharmonitor is that the BMR used is like a $20 part. It basically exists so the crossover between the RAAL tweeter and Scanspeak woofer is smooth.

Really, I don't think expensive brand name parts aren't necessary if you know what you're doing. Good bare drivers are pretty darn cheap, I mean Jeff Bagby's top DIY designs don't really exceed $1,000 USD and some of those are using those badass Satori drivers with crazy huge bandwidth and beefy crossover parts you'd only really see in flagship speakers. But some of his cheaper designs, like the Continuum, can be had for like $300 and honestly don't sound out of place next to multi thousand dollar speakers.

Sigh, I'll follow your advice and cancel.

It might be too late to cancel this order. How does this compare to the Modi 2 itself? Will I still need to get a Modi 2 if I have a Fulla 2 coming in?

I'd argue no. Both are using the AKM AK4490. The Fulla 2, at the very least, can serve as a pre-amp for active speakers and portable amp for IEMs and more sensitive headphones.

Don't let the smooth taste fool you. My "offbrand product from China" Momentum cable has lasted at least 2x as long as the official one bundled in from Sennehiser did.

Is that right? Cool. They're only $11, so it's not such a huge risk to take. It's definitely cheaper than buying headphones every few months.

Thank you for the perspective, also. :)

yonder

Very jealous of everyone who managed to get in on the HD6xx deal especially since I no longer have my Fidelio X1s :( Currently subsisting off my portapros lol.

Anyone know roughly when we could expect another drop?

j-wood

You guys are probably going to hate this, but I just bought the Bose QC35 headphones.

I wanted something over the ear that was wireless since the iphone 7 doesn't have a headphone jack anymore.

The sound quality seems good enough to me. The main thing is that the noise cancelling is outstanding and they are by far the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn. Can wear them all day with 0 fatigue.

Jupiter

So, maybe a stupid question here. I'm reading up on Amps and DACs and most people have them connected to their computers or laptops. I want to get an Amp and possibly a DAC (Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2) since I got the Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones coming, but I want to use use an Ipod touch or a Fiio x5 for the music. That's possible, right?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hi. Uhhh...my Sennheiser in ear headphones that I bought at the end of July are starting to break down, with the audio in the left channel starting to go, so I'm in the need for some new ones. Is there any make of headphone available with a reputation for reliability? €100 is the limit that I'm willing to pay.

Or take advantage of your warranty?

So, maybe a stupid question here. I'm reading up on Amps and DACs and most people have them connected to their computers or laptops. I want to get an Amp and possibly a DAC (Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2) since I got the Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones coming, but I want to use use an Ipod touch or a Fiio x5 for the music. That's possible, right?

I'm not familiar with the iPod but I THINK you can use some sort of adapter with it.

As for the x5, it has coax out so if you get the Modi 2 Uber, you can just connect it to the coax input of the Modi.

Servbot24

Banned
RHA750MA bit the dust, ordered FiiO Ex1 as a replacement since I didn't feel like spending over $100 on IEMs. We'll see how they go

Audio cut out on one side after about a year of use. They're still under warranty so I'll send them back, I just need a pair handy since I'll be doing some Christmas traveling.

I didn't realize they had a 3 year warranty. That's nice to have and something I overlooked when pondering the value of my MA750.

Servbot24

Banned
I didn't realize they had a 3 year warranty. That's nice to have and something I overlooked when pondering the value of my MA750.

Yeah, that's essential for me when buying IEMs. The RHAs are actually the first IEMs/earbuds I've had that lasted longer than 6 months since they're very well built.

ty_hot

Anyone familiar with the GGMM brand?

My girlfriend doesnt want a 50-100 euro earphone because she says she is clumsy will either break it or lose it so better not spend so much. She's broken my 3ds circle pad in the third time she was playing and also stepped on my chromeobok, breaking the screen once. Once refers to breaking the screen - she says she has stepped on it several other times but nothing happened lol

so, there are these GGMM earphones that look very nice... but I cant find much about their audio quality - the little I found said they are fine, though.

I ordered this for 20 euros (it was a flash sale a few hours ago) - normal price seems to be 35. I realized the drivers are only 6mm
http://www.ggmm.com/en/product/earphone/6587.html
01_a.jpg

There are also these two other options:
8mm driver, cheaper for 16 euros
http://www.ggmm.com/en/product/earphone/5560.html

47 euros (will go on flash sale in around 40 minutes, so Im hoping it goes somewhere near the 30 mark), and a bigger 9,2mm driver.
http://www.ggmm.com/en/product/earphone/5625.html

But as an amateur I though a bigger driver would probably mean better bass (makes sens for me), but reading online it doesnt seems to be always true =/

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Heard the elears. They sound fantastic honestly. Suits my tastes perfectly fine. Not basshead, but there's a real dynamism to the bass that makes you feel it too.

Utopia though... Man, if money isn't a problem, that would be something to go after. At that price i'd rather go speakers, but man it sounds fantastic.

Jake.

what's the best headphones that i can get shipped to australia (or ideally, sold within australia) for $180 or less?

i used to be a big record collector years ago, but got old and lazy and now play 99% of my music from my macbook air (no DAC, just the 3.5 jack) or occasionally my iphone on a flight.

cheers.

Heard the elears. They sound fantastic honestly. Suits my tastes perfectly fine. Not basshead, but there's a real dynamism to the bass that makes you feel it too.

Utopia though... Man, if money isn't a problem, that would be something to go after. At that price i'd rather go speakers, but man it sounds fantastic.

Utopia is a strange headphone. I had one for about a week and listened to it a few hours a day. What kills me is although it is something great at that price point I just can't justify it. Like you said that is speakers territory.

If I was going to actually break into that price range for headphones I would go with Stax SR-009 for many different reasons but then we are talking about spending just shy of four thousand on a pair of headphones so it's idiotic to even think about it.

HiResDes

what's the best headphones that i can get shipped to australia (or ideally, sold within australia) for $180 or less?

i used to be a big record collector years ago, but got old and lazy and now play 99% of my music from my macbook air (no DAC, just the 3.5 jack) or occasionally my iphone on a flight.

cheers.

Check out NoisyMotel which ships from Australia.

kevm3

What headphone does the Utopia sound close to? More along an HD800 type of hyper detail signature or a warmer, lush LCD type of signature?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
More akin to the hd800, though i don't quite remember how the hd800 enough to make a full comparison. From what i can recall i think i like the mids and bass better.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fulla 2 is actually the most exciting thing Schiit has announced or released this year.

It really is. Now that the reviews are good, it is a potentially game changing product. It makes quality desktop headphone audio really available to the masses, and gets the public to know the Schiit brand. There are so many people I could buy one for. My main worry is their capability to scale, seeing that warehouse video from yesterday - they are still a very manual, low volume operation.

Combine that with their 2 channel expansion, they really are shaking up the industry.

I love reading all these positive reviews/impressions of the Fulla 2. My anticipation is rising. Mine left the USPS post office in LA on Friday so I hope to have it this week.

It really is. Now that the reviews are good, it is a potentially game changing product. It makes quality desktop headphone audio really available to the masses, and gets the public to know the Schiit brand. There are so many people I could buy one for. My main worry is their capability to scale, seeing that warehouse video from yesterday - they are still a very manual, low volume operation.

Combine that with their 2 channel expansion, they really are shaking up the industry.

Looks like the hits will keep coming through the new year. Something expected to be announced sometime in January.

Personally I hope its the SPDIF product.

Tommy DJ

I don't think this product isn't really a game changer as we've got lots of amp/DAC combos that provide the same sort of analogue input functionality. The Fiio E18 is like 3/4 the price and I'm pretty sure it doesn't sound a whole lot worse than the Fulla 2.

The Fulla 2 is exciting to me because someone finally has the balls to admit that huge "portable" units like like Chord Mojo or Geek Out 2 Infinity are really stupid because they're so bulky. Its hard for a lot of people to use a thick-ass block rubber banded to their smartphone on public transport. Public transport environments are just too busy and cramped to mess around with cables and audio hardware, especially if you're jumping between lots of transit routes.

So ditch the battery pack, ditch the awful rotary volume wheels, and just give me a huge good quality volume knob instead. If I'm working on a desk with my laptop somewhere, that's exactly what I want.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure the rumor has been around for awhile, supposedly some sort of usb -> spdif converter of some sort. Not 100% sure, but I think it was one of the two code named projects that's been going around.

Like a super Wyrd then? Phew, my new flat will be wired with SPDIF from the Mirage server to Yggdrasils, so one less Schiit product to wait for.

Top Bottom