• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Chittagong

Gold Member
Welp ordered two Schiit Fulla 2s and got sent two Schiit Fulla 1s instead. I had almost forgotten how sharp the edges were.

Damn, sorry to hear that. Happened to someone in the Schiit Happened thread too, Jason is actually commenting there on how they deal with it

Tommy DJ

Its a really strange mistake either way. Looking at my commercial/customs receipt, they state that I bought the original Schiit Fulla at the price of the Schiit Fulla 2 ($99 instead of $79 each). So they not only sent me the wrong items but charged me an extra $20 for each item.

Since I've got it here, here's a quick review of the original Schiit Fulla. The original Schiit Fulla is way worse than I remember it being.

Its got high noise floor out of my laptop and desktop's USB ports, its got surprisingly sharp edges, lots of gaps that I imagine will be filled with lint in no time, and its got an awful volume wheel that is simultaneously too shallow and slippery. Its no wonder the Schiit Fulla 2 is so significantly different, at least physically.

matmanx1

Seriously considering a Little Dot MkIII from Massdrop. $219.99 at the lowest price, which would be quite good.

Also, does anyone have any experience with GermanMAESTRO? Again, from Massdrop, the GMP 400's and 450's at about $165 and they are supposed to take amping extremely well.

Its a really strange mistake either way. Looking at my commercial/customs receipt, they state that I bought the original Schiit Fulla at the price of the Schiit Fulla 2 ($99 instead of $79 each). So they not only sent me the wrong items but charged me an extra $20 for each item.

Since I've got it here, here's a quick review of the original Schiit Fulla. The original Schiit Fulla is way worse than I remember it being.

Its got high noise floor out of my laptop and desktop's USB ports, its got surprisingly sharp edges, lots of gaps that I imagine will be filled with lint in no time, and its got an awful volume wheel that is simultaneously too shallow and slippery. Its no wonder the Schiit Fulla 2 is so significantly different, at least physically.

That sucks, Fulla 1 now costs $59 on closeouts

I have a pair of NVX NPT100s (I think clones of the Brainwavs HM5s).

I typically listen to them out of my laptop (newer ThinkPad) or my iPhone 6. Would I see any real benefit to a DAC/amp? Something like the new Schiit Fulla 2?

Or should I save that $100 and put it towards getting better headphones?

I like to listen to music while I work so this is mainly a desktop thing. I listen to a wide range of music but mostly rock, classical, and jazz.

Sorry for quoting myself here, but does anyone have an answer?

e90Mark

Hi Headphone-GAF,

I have Philips X2's coming in tomorrow, and was wondering if any of you know whether an Astro Mixamp would be OK to power them, or would I need a combo from the OP?

Really looking forward to trying out the X2's. The reviews I've read lead me to believe they'll fit the type of sound I'd like.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
50% off Klipsch Home Audio + FS (Promedia 2.1 $64.50, R-10B Soundbar $174.50, RF-82 II floorstanding speakers $179.50)

Enter the following promo code during checkout at the very last screen, after entering your credit card info: KLIPSCHFF50

Discount also applies to items already on sale
http://www.klipsch.com/specials

Examples:
RF-82 II floorstanding speaker: [klipsch.com] $179.50
Reference X20i In-Ear Headphones: [klipsch.com] $179.50
R-10B Sound Bar w/ wireless sub [klipsch.com]: $174.50
R-15PM powered monitors [klipsch.com]: $174.50
R-10SW subwoofer: [klipsch.com]$139.50
Promedia 2.1 Bluetooth computer speakers: [klipsch.com] $74.50
Promedia 2.1 computer speakers: [klipsch.com] $64.50
X4i in-ear headphones w/ mic: [klipsch.com] $22.50

Karish

This past year I've been on an epic search for good, comfortable Bluetooth headphones. I've been through a bunch, most recently the Croasfade Wireless. Those were nice but once the Backbeat Pro 2 was announced I knew I had to try it, as it was so much more feature packed. Man this thing is amazing. So comfortable. Good NC. Very balanced sound. Did I mention they're comfortable? Like pillows. I have bigger ears that made the Crossfades and many others uncomfortable, almost to the point where I preferred on ear cans, but these are incredible.

Even stylistically I like them a lot. I was worried the carbon fiber look would be cheap, in some pics online it appears so, but in reality it's quite nice, and my wife agrees.

For $200 (on Plantronics website) I would HIGHLY recommend.

Tommy DJ

how are the Fidelio X2s? Worth ~$212?

Its basically a hook product to introduce people to better audio. Its got a V shaped sound signature that most sub-$100 products follow but uses better quality materials and transducers. Its not really "hi-fi" though.

I personally think it isn't worth $212. Massdrop shipping and availability is wonky but the Sennheiser HD6XX was launched at $200. With a product like that out on the market, most cheaper headphones just aren't worth the money.

Kinda OT, but I trust you guys more than anyone regarding audio here on GAF so...

What's the best turntable for a vinyl newbie like me?
It'll be connected to DENON AVR-X1100W AVR.

Audio Technica AT-LP60 or something else?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Its basically a hook product to introduce people to better audio. Its got a V shaped sound signature that most sub-$100 products follow but uses better quality materials and transducers. Its not really "hi-fi" though.

I personally think it isn't worth $212. Massdrop shipping and availability is wonky but the Sennheiser HD6XX was launched at $200. With a product like that out on the market, most cheaper headphones just aren't worth the money.
don't like the dual connector cable on the 6xx

any other good phones in that price range with only one connector?

HiResDes

Kinda OT, but I trust you guys more than anyone regarding audio here on GAF so...

What's the best turntable for a vinyl newbie like me?
It'll be connected to DENON AVR-X1100W AVR.

Audio Technica AT-LP60 or something else?

I really love my Denon Dp-300f it comes with an optional built-in preamp and it's easier to upgrade the cartridge if there's ever a need.

054_denon-dp-300f-image-1-.jpg

If you don't have $200 don't buy a turntable basically...

matmanx1

I really love my Denon DP-300DP it comes with an optional built-in preamp and it's easier to upgrade the cartridge if there's ever a need.

054_denon-dp-300f-image-1-.jpg

If you don't have $200 don't buy a turntable basically...

That is one SEXY turntable. It's like a functional piece of table art.

e90Mark

how are the Fidelio X2s? Worth ~$212?

I just got mine yesterday from Amazon, and I like them. I'm no audiophile by any means, but I wanted to step up to something higher quality than the A40's I was currently using. I use them for games and music (edm, rap, etc) and find them enjoyable.

I do notice they are heavier than my A40's, due to the better materials, but they are fine. The suspension system used to mount on your head is really comfy. Being able to get a mic by using the Vmoda Boom Pro is really great too.

I think a lot of the reviews on these are pretty spot on. Worth a shot.

matmanx1

Not too long ago I picked up the import only Sony MDR MA900 open air headphones for use primarily in gaming. And for gaming, I am extremely pleased with the them. The soundstage is huge, the clarity is good and the comfort, which I was really concerned about before I got them, is exactly what I need for multi-hour sessions. Big thumbs up on that front.

Wanting to stretch their legs a little bit, I've done some listening to my mp3 collection and my results have been not exactly what I wanted. And I don't know if it's the headphones or my expectations that are the problem. Compared to my previous pair of 2013 HD558's (which I know now are not exactly top shelf) the sound doesn't wow or impress me in any way.

I remember putting on the HD558's and being just giddy with the way my music sounded. I'm not getting that with the MA900's and I don't have the experience with headphones or the vocabulary to express why that is. Is it the frequency curve? Is it the different in treble or bass? Or is it something else? All I can say is that I am seriously itching to invest in a pair of cans JUST for music with the caveat that they would need to be just as comfortable as the MA900's.

Or is it possible that an Amp or EQ could change the sound signature enough that I might find what I'm looking for with the MA900's? I really don't know. All I can do is experiment.

HiResDes

Not too long ago I picked up the import only Sony MDR MA900 open air headphones for use primarily in gaming. And for gaming, I am extremely pleased with the them. The soundstage is huge, the clarity is good and the comfort, which I was really concerned about before I got them, is exactly what I need for multi-hour sessions. Big thumbs up on that front.

Wanting to stretch their legs a little bit, I've done some listening to my mp3 collection and my results have been not exactly what I wanted. And I don't know if it's the headphones or my expectations that are the problem. Compared to my previous pair of 2013 HD558's (which I know now are not exactly top shelf) the sound doesn't wow or impress me in any way.

I remember putting on the HD558's and being just giddy with the way my music sounded. I'm not getting that with the MA900's and I don't have the experience with headphones or the vocabulary to express why that is. Is it the frequency curve? Is it the different in treble or bass? Or is it something else? All I can say is that I am seriously itching to invest in a pair of cans JUST for music with the caveat that they would need to be just as comfortable as the MA900's.

Or is it possible that an Amp or EQ could change the sound signature enough that I might find what I'm looking for with the MA900's? I really don't know. All I can do is experiment.
There are very few headphones at any range that are going to be as comfortable but maybe check out the Sennheiser HD6XX if it's still available.

matmanx1

Thanks for the recommendation. It's certainly worth giving a nice pair of Sen's another try. I've figured out what bothers my head (clamping pressure) so I just need to read as many reviews as possible before I purchase.

I'm thinking it may be worth it to actually step up to some true Hi-fi headphones in the $500+ bracket and that may open things up for me as well. Listening to music was, at one time, one of my primary hobbies and I am remembering how much I enjoyed it. I miss it and it's probably worth it for me to invest a more resources into something that I will use and enjoy for a long period of time.

paskowitz

Cross post from B/S/T Thread. This is a better thread anyways...

Item: Sennheiser HD 6XX (650) Massdrop Edition Production #242

Condition: New product smell new. Tested to make sure it works, otherwise fresh from factory. No seals on box, so no seals broken.

Reason for selling: Purchased day of as impulse buy. Was going to buy DAC/AMP but I broke a rim and tire on my car so I am out of budget (screw you winter and 2016).

Asking price: $200 shipped. eBay average auction price is ~$230 for the 650. At 87% that is right around $200.

l2HhB33.jpg

paskowitz

That's a great price. You're nuts to sell it.

I mean, I don't want it to go to waste. Without at least an AMP, the noise floor comes up pretty fast and just isn't ideal for me ATM. I was going to get a pairing from Schiit, but potholes happen.

HiResDes

That feeling when you realize one of your new monitors sounds amazing and the other is muffled as shit and switching the cables around nets in the same results. Going to have to return them even though I really like the way one of them sounds lol

Getting Philharmonics now for sure.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Damn paskowitz, why not just sit on them until you can buy yourself a cheap amp/DAC?

Don't play yourself.

nitewulf

Looking for a closed back, light (ie highly portable), planar headphone. What are my options besides the Audeze LCD-XC and OPPO PM3?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I ended up doing more research and decided that open phones probably aren't for me

Grabbed AT MSR7's for $189 on Amazon

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Looking for a closed back, light (ie highly portable), planar headphone. What are my options besides the Audeze LCD-XC and OPPO PM3?

Did you pick those two names at random? The LCD-XC is neither light or portable, and costs almost 6x the price of the PM-3.

The Audeze Sine is the lightest planar I know of, but it's on-ear instead of over.

PM-3 is 320g, Sine is 230g, the XC is 650g.

nitewulf

Did you pick those two names at random? The LCD-XC is neither light or portable, and costs almost 6x the price of the PM-3.

The Audeze Sine is the lightest planar I know of, but it's on-ear instead of over.

PM-3 is 320g, Sine is 230g, the XC is 650g.

Closed back that's why....the price isn't much of an issue...but I'd rather not pay 2K for something I'll use during commutes.

HiResDes

Closed back that's why....the price isn't much of an issue...but I'd rather not pay 2K for something I'll use during commutes.

This might be an unpopular opinion but just because something is a planar doesn't make it automatically superior to a well made dynamic headphone.

leng jai

If you just want to hear a planar then I don't think the PM-3 or Sine are great choices given they lack the planar bass. The PM-3 is a solid choice regardless though.

nitewulf

If you just want to hear a planar then I don't think the PM-3 or Sine are great choices given they lack the planar bass. The PM-3 is a solid choice regardless though.

But essentially not too many options on the portable front then, there are some planar IEMs by Audeze as well. As long as the phones are neutral I'm good, I got a high res player playing flacs and I don't use EQ.

leng jai

But essentially not too many options on the portable front then, there are some planar IEMs by Audeze as well. As long as the phones are neutral I'm good, I got a high res player playing flacs and I don't use EQ.

PM-3 seems the obvious choice if you're looking for a balanced sound.

matmanx1

So as it turns out all I needed to change to give my Sony MA900's some liveliness was slide the drivers back so that the front of my ear is touching the inside lip of the cushion. For some reason this brings additional clarity, punch and immediacy to the music and I like it much, much better. I'm actually listening to my tunes right now and really enjoying myself.

All along I had been wearing them with the opening centered over my ear but that's not the way to get the best sound out of these, at least not for me. TFW changing something small makes a huge difference....

matmanx1

Yeah I know sound is very subjective but I definitely enjoy the Sony's more than the 558 so I was a bit confused

Yeah I am seriously impressed with them now. They sound like a different pair of headphones with just that adjustment.

That being said, I'm seriously considering saving up some cash for some Grado gs1000's. I am very curious about the sound and spent all day yesterday researching them. I love the fact that they are made in the USA and hand assembled with Mahogany wood in Brooklyn, NY.

Obviously they are in a different league, price wise, but I've always believed that the best things are worth some additional investment. The more time I spend rediscovering my tunes through headphones, the more I want to invest in great equipment to enrich the experience.

HiResDes

I don't like the Grado house sound at all, and I don't think their high end offers a good value at all, just giving you my two cents..You might love them, but you could buy a pair of HD800 or HE-560, Stax SRS-2170 for around the price of those

Top Bottom