• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Kal

I'm looking for open back headphones to use at home for gaming (PS4), listening to music on my PC, and to use on my digital piano. I've been looking at the Philips Fidelio X2 (£219), and the Grado SR325e (£249). I'm a bit clueless about headphones as I haven't owned one in over 6 years - I've used IEMs during that period but before that I had the Sennheiser HD595. Looking for recommendations AudioGAF! :) Thanks.

Karish

I'm looking for open back headphones to use at home for gaming (PS4), listening to music on my PC, and to use on my digital piano. I've been looking at the Philips Fidelio X2 (£219), and the Grado SR325e (£249). I'm a bit clueless about headphones as I haven't owned one in over 6 years - I've used IEMs during that period but before that I had the Sennheiser HD595. Looking for recommendations AudioGAF! :) Thanks.

The SHP9500 are amazing and affordable.

Amagon

Which is the better headphones out of the 2, the soon to be released 6xx or the X2?

I got the preorder for the 6xx but lately, I'm seeing myself fancy the X2. No way I'm gonna drop a few hundred for another pair of headphones, and tempted to sell off the 6xx.

Any suggestions?

Edit:

Also, what is the difference between the Modi 2 Uber and the Multibit?

Tommy DJ

Sennheiser HD6XX. Philips X2 was basically the flavour of the year in the same way the Fostex T50RP were (Head-Fi's so-called "flagship killers").

Hypron

Just how loud do you guys listen to your headphones anyway? My hears would be bleeding if I listened to my HD600s loud enough for other people in the same room to hear (unless they literally sat right next to me).

HiResDes

For music and piano music especially I absolutely adore the AKG K612Pro but the sound definitely improves quite a bit with a little bit of amping. They're also about as cheap as the 595 and boast better midrange clarity in my opinion.

Cyriades

I just ordered the HyperX Cloud, Ugreen headset adapter that separates headphone and microphone plugs and Creative Sound BlasterX G1 headphone amplifier PS4 compatible. BlasterX G1 powers headphones of up to 300 ohms!

kingston_khx_h3clw_07.png

Ugreen-font-b-Jack-b-font-3-5mm-Mic-font-b-Headphone-b-font-font-b.jpg

SB_g1.jpg

1461112153439.png

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 because I want super comfy headphones to use exclusively at home and the office while working. I'm trying to decide between the 32 ohm version and the 80 ohm version. I absolutely do not want to use an amp, so with that in mind, will the 80 ohm version unamped sound worse than the 32 ohm version unamped, if my source is primarily a 2015 Macbook Pro and occasionally an iPhone 6S? I've found conflicting answers to this across the web.

I currently use a pair of Audiotechnical ATH-50s and am really happy with the sound, so I don't need or expect anything better than that from the DT 770, if that helps answers the question above.

Another reason I'm hoping to get away with the 80 ohm version is they come with the velour ear cups. I know I can order them and install them on the 32 ohm version, but that's an extra cost, and I'm not sure I trust myself to install them properly.

I'm looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 because I want super comfy headphones to use exclusively at home and the office while working. I'm trying to decide between the 32 ohm version and the 80 ohm version. I absolutely do not want to use an amp, so with that in mind, will the 80 ohm version unamped sound worse than the 32 ohm version unamped, if my source is primarily a 2015 Macbook Pro and occasionally an iPhone 6S? I've found conflicting answers to this across the web.

I currently use a pair of Audiotechnical ATH-50s and am really happy with the sound, so I don't need or expect anything better than that from the DT 770, if that helps answers the question above.

Another reason I'm hoping to get away with the 80 ohm version is they come with the velour ear cups. I know I can order them and install them on the 32 ohm version, but that's an extra cost, and I'm not sure I trust myself to install them properly.

The 80 ohm version absolutely sound fine unamped. If you absolutely need deafening volume they might fall short for you, but they're perfectly easy to drive to reasonable listening levels.

And you'll most definitely get an improvement in sound quality over the M50s, particularly the vocal range.

LQX

What do you guys think of this Sennheiser GSX 1000 Audio Amplifier
It's ridiculous overpriced but I keep reading that the sorround sound on this thing is one of the best.

It has some great reviews so far but that $230 price is still not grabbing me. Still have my eye on it though.

That's good no? Thats about the same for US when you factor in shipping and tax if you live in the same state as Schiit. Here in NY my total was $115.

Tommy DJ

That price is actually pretty good. Addicted to Audio is selling it for $200 AUD or $150 USD.

That being said, buying straight from the US is ~$150 AUD so fuck Australian retailers.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, when I checked buying straight from schiit with a reasonable shipping option rang up to about AUD$185.

So a bit of a markup at A2A but I'll take that for not having to deal with overseas customer service.

Koppai

I'm thinking about Sony Headphones...

Either these: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-h-...dphones-viridian-blue/5080505.p?skuId=5080505

or these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-10...headphones-grey-beige/5581066.p?skuId=5581066

Which is better?

EDIT:

Lol they are sold out on Best Buy at $227 and have been for a while. Amazon had them as Lightning deal for $199.99 when I just checked, and I applied for the Amazon Prime Store Card and got a $50 gift card, so only $166. And I was about to drop over $200, hell yeah! Feels good man!

It's been forever since I've posted in here since I sold off a ton of my gear over the past year that I wasn't using, but I'm looking for a recommendation for what will be hopefully my final headphone purchase for quite some time. My two main sources will be an iPhone 7 Plus and a MSi GT62VR laptop. I listen to just about every genre except country, EDM and classical music I listen to, but not often, everything else from indie to hip hop are my mainstays. I'm open to any suggestions you guys have, my budget is going to be ~$500 total for the headphones and any amp/DAC I might need.

The two options I've had my eye on are the Audeze Sine with the Cipher cable or the Sennheiser HD 650. The advantages to the Sine would be that they are more portable, the Cipher cable has the amp/DAC built in to the Lightening cable, you can EQ them through an app and have to settings save for any iOS device I would use.

The HD 650 I've wanted forever, because of how much people have raved about the sound. The advantages I see with them are that they are full sized open cans, and again you'll hardly find anyone with a bad word to say about them. They are almost $200 cheaper than the Sine on Amazon, but I know I'd have to buy an amp (and I'm not sure what amp to buy). They obviously would be less portable as well and there is also the sound bleed from them being open.

I'd be open to any other suggestions that you guys have for my particular use case, but would also be interested in hearing if anyone has used both of those headphones and can kind of compare the two for me. From what I've read on Head-Fi the sound signatures are actually fairly similar considering one is an on ear closed back and one an over ear open back. Thanks in advance. Also I mention the prices on Amazon specifically because I always end up with Amazon gift cards for Christmas and that would take some of the sting out of this purchase.

HiResDes

It's been forever since I've posted in here since I sold off a ton of my gear over the past year that I wasn't using, but I'm looking for a recommendation for what will be hopefully my final headphone purchase for quite some time. My two main sources will be an iPhone 7 Plus and a MSi GT62VR laptop. I listen to just about every genre except country, EDM and classical music I listen to, but not often, everything else from indie to hip hop are my mainstays. I'm open to any suggestions you guys have, my budget is going to be ~$500 total for the headphones and any amp/DAC I might need.

The two options I've had my eye on are the Audeze Sine with the Cipher cable or the Sennheiser HD 650. The advantages to the Sine would be that they are more portable, the Cipher cable has the amp/DAC built in to the Lightening cable, you can EQ them through an app and have to settings save for any iOS device I would use.

The HD 650 I've wanted forever, because of how much people have raved about the sound. The advantages I see with them are that they are full sized open cans, and again you'll hardly find anyone with a bad word to say about them. They are almost $200 cheaper than the Sine on Amazon, but I know I'd have to buy an amp (and I'm not sure what amp to buy). They obviously would be less portable as well and there is also the sound bleed from them being open.

I'd be open to any other suggestions that you guys have for my particular use case, but would also be interested in hearing if anyone has used both of those headphones and can kind of compare the two for me. From what I've read on Head-Fi the sound signatures are actually fairly similar considering one is an on ear closed back and one an over ear open back. Thanks in advance. Also I mention the prices on Amazon specifically because I always end up with Amazon gift cards for Christmas and that would take some of the sting out of this purchase.
Focal Spirit Classic are definitely worth looking into for those genres.

Focal Spirit Classic are definitely worth looking into for those genres.

Thanks. I'll give those a look for sure. Am I totally crazy for even looking at the Sine or HD 650?

Edit: Well I solved that problem quick. Adorama had a promo for $150 off the Sine with the Cipher cable so I jumped on that.

Any (closed) favourites for techno (I guess that's called EDM now?)/rap/a bit of metal? Anything up to maybe $500 USD.

I imagine Fostex would be a recommended choice. I love my Denon D2000 but it's hard not to think about maybe even an upgrade from them.

Any (closed) favourites for techno (I guess that's called EDM now?)/rap/a bit of metal? Anything up to maybe $500 USD.

I imagine Fostex would be a recommended choice. I love my Denon D2000 but it's hard not to think about maybe even an upgrade from them.

If your looking for another semi closed like your Denon, I'd definitely look at the Fostex thx00 and EMU-Teak.

Both based on the old Foster design that your Denon was based on. Would consider it an upgrade over the older Denons.

Don't bother with the Fostex th600/610 or th900. Ear piercing treble and terribly recessed mids. 610 is a little better but the thx00 from massdrop is cheaper and better.

HiResDes

Thanks. I'll give those a look for sure. Am I totally crazy for even looking at the Sine or HD 650?

Edit: Well I solved that problem quick. Adorama had a promo for $150 off the Sine with the Cipher cable so I jumped on that.
Personally I don't like the in ear design and would prefer the Classic or Emu-Teak to those, don't see why they're priced so high anyway.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Don't bother with the Fostex th600/610 or th900. Ear piercing treble and terribly recessed mids. 610 is a little better but the thx00 from massdrop is cheaper and better.

Can't say I agree about TH600s - although haven't heard TH900s or THX00s. They are very bassy, very spacious, and mids are indeed a bit laid back, but I have never found the treble particularly ear piercing.(*) For my particular headphone preferences the soundstage, clarity and bass outweight the slightly recessed mid range, and treble I have never noticed as an issue. It's all up to personal preference, of course.

I'll have my EMU Teaks hopefully next week, so then I have something to compare to.

(*) my chain = OS X Tidal -- optical -- Bifrost Multibit -- Asgard 2 -- TH-600

Xander51

Personally I don't like the on ear design and would prefer the Classic or Emu-Teak to those, don't see why they're priced so high anyway.

I know that it's too late Shakes since you already bought them, but I agree with Des. On-ear headphones get uncomfortable and pinchy after a while on anything but the smallest of heads, and if you have glasses, forget it. I can't wear even the most comfy on-ears for more than an hour or two.

The Sines are probably trying to justify their high price thanks to their drivers and their nice materials, but they're also quite heavy. I was interested in them when they first launched, but then Tyll over at Innerfidelity talked me out of it. He loved the materials used, but he had to bend the headphones to make them comfy. He still wall-of-famed it, but it didn't seem like the price value was there for me.

I don't buy super expensive things I have to break in order to use. Just my opinion! I hope they work for you and you love them.

I know that it's too late Shakes since you already bought them, but I agree with Des. On-ear headphones get uncomfortable and pinchy after a while on anything but the smallest of heads, and if you have glasses, forget it. I can't wear even the most comfy on-ears for more than an hour or two.

The Sines are probably trying to justify their high price thanks to their drivers and their nice materials, but they're also quite heavy. I was interested in them when they first launched, but then Tyll over at Innerfidelity talked me out of it. He loved the materials used, but he had to bend the headphones to make them comfy. He still wall-of-famed it, but it didn't seem like the price value was there for me.

I don't buy super expensive things I have to break in order to use. Just my opinion! I hope they work for you and you love them.

I'll still have the option to return them especially with the extended Christmas return season so I figured no harm no foul. I have never had a problem with the comfort of on ears personally otherwise I would have never considered them. They'll probably be here in a week or so and I'll post some impressions. I'm hoping they're as good as I think they'll be, but if I have any sort of comfort issues I won't hesitate to return them or sell them.

I mean there's still a part of me that says I should have bought the HD 650 just because I've had my eye on them for a few years. The only real portability I needed is to be able to take them with me when I'm at my girlfriend's place, but with the power they require to drive it was going to get quite expensive to buy a portable amp unless there was an obvious option I was missing when it came to amping the HD 650.

Xander51

I'll still have the option to return them especially with the extended Christmas return season so I figured no harm no foul. I have never had a problem with the comfort of on ears personally otherwise I would have never considered them. They'll probably be here in a week or so and I'll post some impressions. I'm hoping they're as good as I think they'll be, but if I have any sort of comfort issues I won't hesitate to return them or sell them.

I mean there's still a part of me that says I should have bought the HD 650 just because I've had my eye on them for a few years. The only real portability I needed is to be able to take them with me when I'm at my girlfriend's place, but with the power they require to drive it was going to get quite expensive to buy a portable amp unless there was an obvious option I was missing when it came to amping the HD 650.

Cool, I'm envious of your ability to wear on-ears with comfort! I have a huge head and glasses so it's a no-go for me. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

Cyriades

Just picked up the world renowned Superlux HD668B. They go for only $40. Gearbest.com flash sale had them for $29

Its said these rival much expensive headphones

superlux_668_6.png

I have a pair of NVX NPT100s (I think clones of the Brainwavs HM5s).

I typically listen to them out of my laptop (newer ThinkPad) or my iPhone 6. Would I see any real benefit to a DAC/amp? Something like the new Schiit Fulla 2?

Or should I save that $100 and put it towards getting better headphones?

I like to listen to music while I work so this is mainly a desktop thing. I listen to a wide range of music but mostly rock, classical, and jazz.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Isn't the sound of PM-3s pretty similar to the Sines? Their build quality is fantastic, even if it doesn't look like it. My first pair are year and a half old, and still as good as new. I actually just bought a second pair of PM-3s to my wife as a travel headset. Even if I am not totally in love with their sound signature (small soundstage), I simply didn't manage to come across a better truly closed, more comfortable, travel-ready pair of headphones. I looked at Sines but had the same concerns.

Xander51

Isn't the sound of PM-3s pretty similar to the Sines? Their build quality is fantastic, even if it doesn't look like it. My first pair are year and a half old, and still as good as new. I actually just bought a second pair of PM-3s to my wife as a travel headset. Even if I am not totally in love with their sound signature (small soundstage), I simply didn't manage to come across a better truly closed, more comfortable, travel-ready pair of headphones. I looked at Sines but had the same concerns.

The PM3's are near the top of my wishlist, once I get some money saved up again. I've heard nothing but continuous good things about them.

leng jai

I've warmed to my PM-3s quite a bit, though they still sound boring to me. The bass quantity in particular isn't great for planars so it definitely doesn't qualify as a 'fun' pair of headphones. It's a very strong all rounder. From what I've read the Sine doesn't have huge bass either, and it actually seems like they're a bit too similar.

There are certainly a few side by side comparisons out there since they seem to be the two most portable PM headphones out there and are in the same range price wise. Depending on the review you read you'll of course get different opinions of which one's sound signature is preferred. Seems like the Sines are regarded as having a bit tighter bass, and maybe a bit wider soundstage.

I did some digging around on Head-Fi earlier and it is definitely possible to mod the Sine with full sized ear pads to make the over ears. A couple of companies sell full sized pads made specifically for them too. Not sure how it would affect the sound at all, but there is a guy there that is going to post some impressions of like 5 different pad mods for them so that should be interesting.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I've warmed to my PM-3s quite a bit, though they still sound boring to me. The bass quantity in particular isn't great for planars so it definitely doesn't qualify as a 'fun' pair of headphones. It's a very strong all rounder. From what I've read the Sine doesn't have huge bass either, and it actually seems like they're a bit too similar.

This I agree with, they are entirely unfun, and I sorta begrudgingly bought my second pair after realising that they still seem to be the best package. So I am sort of a reluctant ambassador.

This I agree with, they are entirely unfun, and I sorta begrudgingly bought my second pair after realising that they still seem to be the best package. So I am sort of a reluctant ambassador.

I sort of feel like this is what I'm expecting with the Sine. Not sure they'll be fun, but they'll make my music sound good enough to seriously consider keeping them.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Has anyone ever bought from schiit-europe.com? They seem to be an official distributor and the prices are really good, but the website is super fishy.

yeah they are really awesome people. once I was in Netherlands just for one Friday night, and only out of hours, and still managed to pick up my Ragnarok, they offered to have the grandma of one of their employees keep it for me for a late night pickup. They are that nice.

Managed to cross 'visit a previously unknown old lady in Zoetermeer' off my bucket list

phoenixyz

yeah they are really awesome people. once I was in Netherlands just for one Friday night, and only out of hours, and still managed to pick up my Ragnarok, they offered to have the grandma of one of their employees keep it for me for a late night pickup. They are that nice.

Managed to cross 'visit a previously unknown old lady in Zoetermeer' off my bucket list

Bought Magni 2 & Modi 2 Uber this summer from them. Excellent service. Came packed really well, no issues.
They're an official distributor, you're good.

Awesome, thanks!

Top Bottom