• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Tommy DJ

don't like the dual connector cable on the 6xx

any other good phones in that price range with only one connector?

Nope. There's a reason why Sennheiser could still sell a 20 year old design made out of plastic for $300+.

Most headphones are just pretty bad unfortunately.

The only open alternatives, I guess, could be the Sony MA900 or Beyerdynamic DT880 if you like your treble hot. I can't think of anything else.

Also to the guy looking into the Grado GS1000, they're objectively garbage. They might sound great to some people subjectively but that doesn't change the fact that Grado puts no effort in R&D or improving their products.

At this point, I swear Grado knows their products aren't very good. All of their marketing seems to indicate that they believe people still think "Made in the US" means their product is of a higher quality than those from, say, China.

ty_hot

I finally got a Nuforce NE700-M for my girlfriend. Its pretty and sounds awesome, we are very satisfied with it.

Our first ever IEM tough.

phoenixyz

I don't like the Grado house sound at all, and I don't think their high end offers a good value at all, just giving you my two cents.

I only listened to Grado headphones in a store so far, but that was also pretty much my impression. They are not bad per se, but massively overpriced for what they offer.

Xander51

Yeah I am seriously impressed with them now. They sound like a different pair of headphones with just that adjustment.

That being said, I'm seriously considering saving up some cash for some Grado gs1000's. I am very curious about the sound and spent all day yesterday researching them. I love the fact that they are made in the USA and hand assembled with Mahogany wood in Brooklyn, NY.

Obviously they are in a different league, price wise, but I've always believed that the best things are worth some additional investment. The more time I spend rediscovering my tunes through headphones, the more I want to invest in great equipment to enrich the experience.

Lots of great headphones are made outside the US. It doesn't matter where headphones are made. Unless you're gonna go to the cramped little warehouse where Grado makes everything and meet those people personally, I wouldn't get too attached to the mystique. The Grado sound is...a thing. They haven't really changed much about it in years, and I find it to be unpleasant. I have a friend who really likes their sound, so I guess it's an acquired taste.

It has always bothered me that they use a lot of the same parts from their lower-end headphones on their more expensive ones, and their ear pads are weird itchy uncomfortable things. You can spend your money so much more effectively.

I don't like the Grado house sound at all, and I don't think their high end offers a good value at all, just giving you my two cents..You might love them, but you could buy a pair of HD800 or HE-560, Stax SRS-2170 for around the price of those

I had a big grin on my face as I was reading Tyll's review of Grado as a manufacturer.

XBP

Anyone have any suggestions for wireless headphones? My budget is 150ish CAD and I'm looking for something I can use during commute. Only listen to Rap.

Thanks a lot.

matmanx1

I don't like the Grado house sound at all, and I don't think their high end offers a good value at all, just giving you my two cents..You might love them, but you could buy a pair of HD800 or HE-560, Stax SRS-2170 for around the price of those

Yeah it seems to be a love it or hate it type of sound although I've read a lot of praise for the gs1000's.

Nope. There's a reason why Sennheiser could still sell a 20 year old design made out of plastic for $300+.

Most headphones are just pretty bad unfortunately.

The only open alternatives, I guess, could be the Sony MA900 or Beyerdynamic DT880 if you like your treble hot. I can't think of anything else.

Also to the guy looking into the Grado GS1000, they're objectively garbage. They might sound great to some people subjectively but that doesn't change the fact that Grado puts no effort in R&D or improving their products.

At this point, I swear Grado knows their products aren't very good. All of their marketing seems to indicate that they believe people still think "Made in the US" means their product is of a higher quality than those from, say, China.

Could you explain more about the gs1000's being objectively garbage? I'm not worried about the "accuracy" of the sound, if that's what you mean. But if they aren't built well or don't last or have some other critical flaw then I'd like to know as much as possible about them.

I understand that John pretty much tunes everything by ear and that's the way they have always done it. I'm ok with that and I've been around musicians for years that only do things by ear. As long as the ear is good (and his seems to be, from what I read) then I am interested in how he expresses that through his product.

Fostex TH-X00 Ebony drop is back.

Yeah I saw that just now. Seems like a great set but fairly bass heavy? They are beautiful, no doubt about that.

HiResDes

I just feel like Sennheiser has headphones that mimic the Grado house sound but still manage to be more balanced and resolving like the Amperior.

Amagon

Just purchased the Schiit Modi 2 Multibit and I was charged twice even though my quantity was at 1.

Thats Christmas money shopping I was going to use this week.

:(

Jabronium

Yeah I saw that just now. Seems like a great set but fairly bass heavy? They are beautiful, no doubt about that.

Not sure. I've read that they're the most balanced of the 3 X00's, and the PH are the super bass cans. I've also read that they're "fun", which I guess could translate to bass heavy. Either way, I couldn't help it, I jumped in. Just hope these have been QC'd adequately after seeing the issues from the last one.

Tommy DJ

Could you explain more about the gs1000's being objectively garbage? I'm not worried about the "accuracy" of the sound, if that's what you mean. But if they aren't built well or don't last or have some other critical flaw then I'd like to know as much as possible about them.

I understand that John pretty much tunes everything by ear and that's the way they have always done it. I'm ok with that and I've been around musicians for years that only do things by ear. As long as the ear is good (and his seems to be, from what I read) then I am interested in how he expresses that through his product.

Refer to these measurements from Inner Fidelity. What we have are:
  1. Obscene amounts of distortion. Yes, its audiable.
  2. Dreadful channel matching. Yes, its audiable.
  3. Extremely uneven treble
  4. No bass extension
  5. Dreadful impulse response, suggesting the driver is poorly controlled/enclosure is acoustically terrible causing stupid amounts of ringing

This isn't even getting into the overall frequency response, which most people would agree is terrible but may be subjectively good to some people, and sandpaper earpads, which have been uncomfortable since forever.

Really, there is a significant difference between a musician and an audio manufacturer. There are general principles you follow when you design headphones or loudspeakers, which is why every decent audio manufacturer consults some degree of measured results because they're often difficult to hear. John Grado doesn't seem to consult measurements at any point from design to quality control, judging by the impulse and woeful channel matching, nor does he have the ear of his father, Joe Grado. The Joe Grado HP1000 was probably their last headphone that could stand on its own two feet.

Xander51

4. No bass extension
  5. Dreadful impulse response, suggesting the driver is poorly controlled/enclosure is acoustically terrible causing stupid amounts of ringing

This isn't even getting into the overall frequency response, which most people would agree is terrible but may be subjectively good to some people, and sandpaper earpads, which have been uncomfortable since forever.

Really, there is a significant difference between a musician and an audio manufacturer. There are general principles you follow when you design headphones or loudspeakers, which is why every decent audio manufacturer consults some degree of measured results because they're often difficult to hear. John Grado doesn't seem to consult measurements at any point from design to quality control, judging by the impulse and woeful channel matching, nor does he have the ear of his father, Joe Grado. The Joe Grado HP1000 was probably their last headphone that could stand on its own two feet.

You are my new favorite person on the internet.

leng jai

Don't forget the sandpaper ear pads. Grade is barely even talked about these days. I remember when I first got into headphones everyone under the sun was recommending the SR60s even though their pads were literally the worst and the cable was annoying as hell.

matmanx1

4. No bass extension

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. I have a bunch more reading to do.

unround

Probably an unusual request, but I'm looking for some wireless, closed over-ear headphones for listening to audiobooks/podcasts, preferably without breaking the bank. Comfort and build quality is the most important thing for me here, sound quality not so much. Any ideas?

matmanx1

Probably an unusual request, but I'm looking for some wireless, closed over-ear headphones for listening to audiobooks/podcasts, preferably without breaking the bank. Comfort and build quality is the most important thing for me here, sound quality not so much. Any ideas?

If bluetooth is ok then the Jaybird X3's. The X3's are $130'ish and I hear good things about them. Link to MKBHD's video review of the X3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77aeW3bsCzc

Xander51

The X3's are earbuds and unround is looking for over-ears. I like the Crusher Wireless for a cheaper over-ear, it has gone for as low as $100. The Sony XB950BT is often cheap but not the most durable thing. Both are catered to the basshead market.

My personal favorite over-ear wireless model for comfort is the Bose Soundlink II, though it's a bit over $200 on sale right now through the end of the year. I've rarely found stuff more comfy than what Bose puts out, and their wireless headphones are pretty good if you can talk yourself into the price.

Sorry this wasn't more helpful but that's the limit of my experience in wireless over-ear models.

I bought a decent set of Senheissers as a gift for myself recently, but I've found that my motherboard isn't really doing them justice (nor does it have the punch to drive them properly). Any suggestions for a good sound card?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I find soundcards kind of a pain in the ass to deal with honestly.

Why not get something like a schitt fulla 2 and just have something that is much more versatile?

I have a headphone amp, but it doesn't change the underlying fact that my motherboard is a bit shit in the sound department.

Edit - Or is that capable of handling everything? It's not immediately clear from the site.

Edit 2 - That thing is INSANELY expensive in the UK, so largely irrelevant for me I think.

leng jai

I find sound cards pointless these days, stand alone DACs are just way more useful since they can be used for multiple devices.

HiResDes

I use a soundcard too, it just saves a lot of desk space and is nice being able to plug both my speakers into it and my headphones right into the connected intended headphone slot.

Duxxy3

I bought a decent set of Senheissers as a gift for myself recently, but I've found that my motherboard isn't really doing them justice (nor does it have the punch to drive them properly). Any suggestions for a good sound card?

Which Sennheisers?

matmanx1

Picking up on the conversation from this weekend, I went and read a bunch of stuff by Tyll Hertsens from Inner Fidelity. In particular, he has a very interesting AMA that he did on Reddit a few years back. LINK
His credentials and experience are about the best that you could hope to ask for in terms of a headphone critic so I was glad to discover him and his site as a resource.

That being said, from his comments during the AMA I can see he is a guy who values technical accuracy and neutrality over and above most anything else. He doesn't care for headphones that don't measure as well on his charts (although he specifically called out the V-Moda M100 and a Sony pair that I can't remember for "sounding better than they chart") and he absolutely hates Grado, again, because they aren't neutral and don't do well on objective measurements.

At the very least, his site and his comments have me re-evaluating what is most important to me in terms of sound and performance. I think Grado might be a little bit too far out in left field for a "first big headphone" purchase and although I'm still curious about their sound I think I will stick with something a little more mainstream for the time being. Today I'm doing research on entry level planar-magnetic phones and the Hifiman HE560, Oppo PM3 and Fostex TH500RP.

So I've been considering buying some new headphones since I've been getting more into music lately. The Sennheiser HD598's and Audiotechnica ATH-M50X's get recommended a lot around here, and I can afford either of them, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

See, what I've heard is that the HyperX Clouds I currently have are actually rebranded Takstar headphones which have pretty good sound quality already. I just don't want to spend $110-150 on a new pair of headphones plus whatever I might spend on an amp only to discover that the sound quality isn't significantly better than what I already have.

Can anyone who has experience with both the Clouds and actual audiophile-level headphones tell me what they think the difference in sound quality would be?

Tommy DJ

Picking up on the conversation from this weekend, I went and read a bunch of stuff by Tyll Hertsens from Inner Fidelity. In particular, he has a very interesting AMA that he did on Reddit a few years back. LINK
His credentials and experience are about the best that you could hope to ask for in terms of a headphone critic so I was glad to discover him and his site as a resource.

That being said, from his comments during the AMA I can see he is a guy who values technical accuracy and neutrality over and above most anything else. He doesn't care for headphones that don't measure as well on his charts (although he specifically called out the V-Moda M100 and a Sony pair that I can't remember for "sounding better than they chart") and he absolutely hates Grado, again, because they aren't neutral and don't do well on objective measurements.

At the very least, his site and his comments have me re-evaluating what is most important to me in terms of sound and performance. I think Grado might be a little bit too far out in left field for a "first big headphone" purchase and although I'm still curious about their sound I think I will stick with something a little more mainstream for the time being. Today I'm doing research on entry level planar-magnetic phones and the Hifiman HE560, Oppo PM3 and Fostex TH500RP.

Tyll doesn't really value technical proficiency or neutrality. He likes headphones that are good...it just so happens that headphones that aren't shit also have good fundamentals. Inner Fidelity consults/provides measurements in their reviews because they help the reader understand exactly what they are talking about and what his preferences are. Its a key reason why his reviews are mostly consistent, predictable and aren't often full of contradictions.

He's mentioned on a few forums that he hates Grado because (1) they sound terrible for someone with his preferences, (2) a good number of their products are low-fi with hi-fi prices (3) they put zero R&D money into producing better products despite obviously earning a decent amount. They're basically Monster-era Beats Audio for hipsters.

Xander51

So I've been considering buying some new headphones since I've been getting more into music lately. The Sennheiser HD598's and Audiotechnica ATH-M50X's get recommended a lot around here, and I can afford either of them, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.

See, what I've heard is that the HyperX Clouds I currently have are actually rebranded Takstar headphones which have pretty good sound quality already. I just don't want to spend $110-150 on a new pair of headphones plus whatever I might spend on an amp only to discover that the sound quality isn't significantly better than what I already have.

Can anyone who has experience with both the Clouds and actual audiophile-level headphones tell me what they think the difference in sound quality would be?

Neither the 598 or the M50X is a huge upgrade from the Clouds. In fact, I'd just call their sound "different" rather than better.

The Clouds have a slightly boxy mid-range and a slightly distorted bass compared to the M50X, and a thinner soundstage than the 598. Both the 598 and the M50X are better built, and both feature a removable cable. The Cloud/Takstar Pro 80 is a really decent knock-off of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, hence the common "Pro 80" in the name.

None of the headphones mentioned really need anything special as far as an amp goes either, they're all pretty low impedance and easy to drive. You can rest comfy knowing that you've got pretty darn good sound right now. A good rule of thumb is to focus most of your budget on the headphones instead of the amp. You'd see much greater returns from a well-reviewed headphone in the $300 range than you would from either of your selections or an amp upgrade, in my opinion.

Neither the 598 or the M50X is a huge upgrade from the Clouds. In fact, I'd just call their sound "different" rather than better.

The Clouds have a slightly boxy mid-range and a slightly distorted bass compared to the M50X, and a thinner soundstage than the 598. Both the 598 and the M50X are better built, and both feature a removable cable. The Cloud/Takstar Pro 80 is a really decent knock-off of the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, hence the common "Pro 80" in the name.

None of the headphones mentioned really need anything special as far as an amp goes either, they're all pretty low impedance and easy to drive. You can rest comfy knowing that you've got pretty darn good sound right now. A good rule of thumb is to focus most of your budget on the headphones instead of the amp. You'd see much greater returns from a well-reviewed headphone in the $300 range than you would from either of your selections or an amp upgrade, in my opinion.

What are some headphones you would recommend to me if I was looking for a serious upgrade?

Xander51

What are some headphones you would recommend to me if I was looking for a serious upgrade?

As far as closed headphones go, I'd personally check out the Audio-Technica MSR7 if you want something brighter, or the Sony MDR-1A if you want something warmer/with more bass. Both are comfy, good-sounding cans in the ~$250 range that are a step up. The MSR7 is maybe my personal favorite headphone. If you want to go nuts, maybe the Oppo PM3 or the Bowers and Wilkins P7. I've spent a lot of time auditioning the P7 in demo form but never pulled the trigger. It's impressively speaker-like in its sound.

For open headphones, the legendary Sennheiser HD 600 or 650 (both need an amp). The 6XX is an exceptional bargain if it goes on Massdrop again. Or maybe the Audio-Technica AD900X, if you don't mind looking totally goofy while wearing headphones. There are other good suggestions in the OP, and peppered throughout the thread. Innerfidelity's wall of fame is a good place to look too.

It's also a good idea to audition headphones before you buy, if you can, since audio taste is subjective. Or buy from a place with a good return policy, like amazon. Just because I like the MSR7, and some reviewers like it, doesn't mean you will. The upper mids can be a little aggressive and sound startling at first, but I like its level of detail and relatively controlled bass.

I really can't decide on a pair of headphones. I was looking at the ATH-M50x since I used to have the old version and I liked the sound a lot, but they were just not comfortable at all so I'm not too sure about that. I also saw that the Sennheiser 598 Cs are on sale for $99 again on Amazon but people seem to have pretty mixed opinions about them. I also checked out Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros which seem to have pretty good reviews and good comfort.

I'm pretty interested in comfort, closed back, and fairly neutral to a little bit of bassy sound.

Tommy DJ

So Schiit did me a solid. They sent out the correct Schiit Fulla 2 while letting me keep the Fulla 1 because its worth less than the shipping required to ship it back to the states.

First of all, the Schiit Fulla 2 is completely desk-bound. I can't see how you could use this on public transport. Size comparison with Schiit Fulla 1 for reference:
6dDiudY.jpg

I haven't had a good listen with it but here are some quick notes:
- Its actually pretty heavy. Maybe twice the weight of an iPhone 6?
- Significantly better noise rejection than the Fulla 1. It'll definitely be an upgrade over most integrated audio solutions.
- Knob is better than the one on my Mjolnir 2 no joke. Much smoother and has just the right amount of friction.
- They've done a strange design decision where they've only used three foam feet so it wobbles like the OG PS4. Its not really a problem because adjusting the volume knob doesn't wobble the unit but its kind of strange Schiit wouldn't just put four feet on the unit.
- Surprisingly low amount of hiss from my CA Andromedas, enough that most people would probably be fine with it. From memory, there's less hiss than the Oppo HA-2. The hiss is a non-issue after using a voltage divider.
- Its pretty bright and lacking in slam but I don't except that much from a USB powered device.
- The gain is still too much for the CA Andromedas. If I turn more than 5%, I end up blowing my ears out.

Right now, I don't see any value in either the Schiit Modi or Magni. It seems powerful enough for most headphones and the noise floor is definitely an improvement over most stock audio solutions, which are the main reasons why you'd get the Magni and Modi respectively.

Tommy DJ

So you've got clean and loud USB audio output from the PS4 Pro. The channels are reversed, however, but if you're handy with a soldering iron this shouldn't be a life ending problem.

Alternatively, the Fulla 2 has analogue inputs so you can feed it audio from the Dualshock 4.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mmmm, I can probably live with that. Maybe. Still, good to know. Thanks for that! Definitely getting one now.

Weird that the channels are reversed though.

Top Bottom