• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

luka

Loves Robotech S1
hello, headphoneGAF. i had a pretty big revelation today. mainly, that anyone who ever said audio-technicas don't benefit at all from amplification are full of shit. :)

i'm a huge, shameless audio-technica fan, which are typically extremely low impedance and my cans of choice have been the ath-ad900 for a long time. my pair broke after about 8 years (of pretty rough treatment unfortunately) a few months back, and last week i replaced them with the new ad900x. i never really considered amplification before but i really noticed a difference between running them between my receiver and my external usb soundblaster, which supposedly has a "pretty decent" amp built in. i honestly didn't like the sound i was getting out of either so i decided to go all out and get something nice. eventually settled on the schiit magni 2 uber as it seemed like the best match for these cans, especially because of the gain switch.

holy crap. i really wish i did this sooner because this thing is freaking magical. i mean, clearly the ATs need no amplification for volume, that was never the issue. but the clarity, separation and damping are miles beyond what i've ever heard before. i'm just super happy with it. my only complaint is that it seems to be very bright and analytical, and combined with the already bright audio-technicas makes for some pretty harsh sound sometimes. i'm hoping it will mellow out more as they both break in.

here's a crappy cell phone pic with terrible lighting. sorry for not dusting first :p

bMJWHkJ.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Apparently the new Audio techinca r70x are considered to be pretty warm by audio techinca standards.

Solid state amps don't break in, and I would argue that headphones don't break in either. You'll probably get used to the signature though.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Solid state amps don't break in, and I would argue that headphones don't break in either. You'll probably get used to the signature though.

yeah, i figured as much about the amp. i have nothing to support an argument for headphone break in, but i definitely noticed a change for the better in them over the past week. they were -extremely- harsh out of the box. almost painfully so.

This may be off-topic, but I made a thread on Gaming side and didn't get much advice.

I want to get a pair of wireless headphones that will hook up to both an Xbox One and PS4, so ideally I'll just have to flip a switch on a base or something to swap between them. So basically they need at least two optical ins. I don't have a receiver, which may complicate things.

Thanks!

Antiwhippy

Our brains are incredibly adaptable, and also not very adaptable. It can't adapt to fast changes but give it time and it'll adjust. You notice it when you have 2 headphones that you like with completely different sound signatures. They will sound offputting if you switch them up constantly. I tried it with my K551 and Momentums. Going from the K551 the momentums will sound boomy and muddy, and going from my momentums the K551 will sound thin and shrill.

LCfiner

I'm curious if you have revised Angie/ R2Pro comparisons? Is it mostly a flavour difference (stronger mids on Angie, for example) or does Angie pull away in other areas?

I'm still loving the R2Pro. I got a Geek out V2 yesterday and the R2Pro sound excellent out of it. there's some more bite and dynamic contrast compared to regular headphone output (or the old dragnonfly v1.2)

I wasn't really terribly impressed by the Kaiser 10 the several times I'd heard it. I think it has really good mids and sounds solid all around but... I dunno. It just didn't really excel at any one thing. Super overpriced and overrated phone IMO. Gorgeous if you can afford the Wizard designs but super plain Jane, boring as sin in universal form.

Getting the Dunu D2KJ in today.

Also have to redact my previous statement in regard to the R2Pro. After James came up with the idea that the seal on the end cap DOES alter the sound (if there's any space in between the O-ring and the driver inside of the housing, it creates a sort of resonance chamber which results in boomy bass, I've tested this myself by unscrewing the cap a bit), and suggested the teabag mod to tame some of the emphasis up high, the R2Pro is now some of the very best phones I've ever heard. Seriously.

I ran the idea of R2Pro >= UERM by James and he agreed. The R2Pro is a bit warmer, a bit smoother/relaxed in the upper midrange, and there's more heft down low (presence at 20 Hz. when running test tones is pretty remarkable for a phone of this form factor), but it absolutely matches the UERM in many categories including, shockingly enough, space, while exceeding it in some things such as timbral realism (piano/strings... not really the UERM's forte). Some recordings just sound absolutely ginormous on the R2Pro.

The only thing I can knock so far, is that the UERM is still smoother across the FR. This may not seem all that important, but the emphasis at 6-8 kHz means that my ears actually get tired from listening to the R2Pro quicker than the UERM, where I can listen pretty much forever and not experience any fatigue.

Other than that, this is pretty much the holy grail of IEMs to me - performs at the highest levels, extremely comfy, can be driven by a smart phone, absolutely tiny size, affordably priced (well at KS levels at least). Rockets still have a very alluring midrange, terrific balance, and tank like build quality in its favor, and I can see people preferring that more intimate, mid centric signature overall.

andylsun

Got to Hong Kong too late to get to WanChai, but did get to sit in an English pub and see that the Aussies got destroyed in the 4th test, so not all bad.

My rockets tip rolling quest will continue when back in HK in September.

Oh nice on the Go V2! How did you score one of those? I've been wanting a Go V2+ for connecting to the iPhone. My main rig for IEM listening is the Go 450 -> Leckerton UHA 6S MK II. Going to replace the Leck with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon after it ships. Tho I'm toyin with the idea of maybe replacing the Carbon with the Cavalli portable instead.

I did plug in the Angie last night to have a go at the R2 briefly but will have to do more comparative listening since the R2s been getting the lion's share of attention being the new toy and all.

To be fair though, the R2Pro does sound a bit veiled compared to stuff like Stax, UERM, Angie. What it makes up for in return is that its tone is pretty spot on. The UERM and Angie don't feel as convincing to me on classical/solo piano. There's something to weight, resonance and dynamics that I don't really feel BAs can fully nail. It's why I've always kept around a good dynamic driver based phone for those occasions. (If you like solo piano, classical or jazz or what have you, a modded FX850 is pretty much untouchable.)

BAs are pretty awesome for distortion guitar and cymbals though. Speaking of which I got SGS' DUNU D2KJ in yesterday. Incredibly clear sounding phone, but also way bright even after applying James' bluetac mod. I can't listen to hotter recordings on this. Stuff like tenor vocals and crash cymbals are just piercing at louder volumes. But man, it really does sound amazing for distorted electric guitar. That nasally squeal on pinched harmonics, that airy and incisive tone? Just nasty.

Bass is also top tier to me. It's incredibly tight, and has excellent extension, impact and speed. I think it's technically, the most impressive bass I've heard to date, narrowly edging out the R2Pro's, but it doesn't always come across as sounding "right" due to sounding leaner and sort of truncated on decay.

That aside, I just don't find this phone to be tonally unconvincing, as its brightness, even after the mod, just sounds unnatural to me. That and the overall sound is just too thin and at lower volumes, I just find myself wishing I could dial up the volume to fill out the sound. It just feels like it lacks body to its notes which hurts transparency and presence to me.

LCfiner

The GO V2 was for sale at a canadian online headphone store. they had in store that was going to be used for a demo but they instead shipped it out to me.

that casing does look cheap bu the sound is, so far, very impressive.

thanks for the brief thoughts between R2pro and Angie. having owned some stax and other high end cans, I know what you mean about ultimate transparency. the r2pro seems just a bit thicker. like one extra pane of glass between you and the music compared to super TOTL cans.

The GO V2 was for sale at a canadian online headphone store. they had in store that was going to be used for a demo but they instead shipped it out to me.

that casing does look cheap bu the sound is, so far, very impressive.

thanks for the brief thoughts between R2pro and Angie. having owned some stax and other high end cans, I know what you mean about ultimate transparency. the r2pro seems just a bit thicker. like one extra pane of glass between you and the music compared to super TOTL cans.

Bingo. You have to sort of pick and choose between your priorities. Is it ultimate clarity that you value or is it tonal accuracy? Stuff like the Angie just has that... distinct feeling of "presence" due to how insanely clear and effortless it sounds. The R2Pro does manage that on occasion, but it's not as pronounced as with the Angie. You can make the R2Pro sound closer by tip rolling of course. I'm having great success with the K3003 tips coupled with the teabag filter mod to smooth out the sibilance region. It just sounds noticeably airier, less bass boosted, and brighter.

You can get a pair of those from Harmon, just write their CS section and ask to order a set of K3003 replacement tips. Took me a long while to get mine, due to them out of stock, but that was quite some time ago. The silicon tips that come with the Dunu 2000J are also very similar. I'm not sure whether they sell those separately, but worth looking as well if you're curious.

LCfiner

Man, is there any rationality to own something like this, other than having way too much money for your own good?

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/light-harmonic-da-vinci-dsd-dual-dac-usb-silver

there is nothing rational about expensive cables. Welcome to audiophile bullshit. The high end analog cables offer pretty much nothing of value over regular cables - unless you wanted to use a very particular amp or have issues with weight or aesthetics of a stock cable.

Antiwhippy

That's not a cable though. That's a 60k dac/amp. AUD, tbf.

Mostly stumbled into it looking at the geek out amp from the same company which actually seems like a good quality product at a reasonable price.

LCfiner

That's not a cable though. That's a 60k dac/amp. AUD, tbf.

Mostly stumbled into it looking at the geek out amp from the same company which actually seems like a good quality product at a reasonable price.

lol, I'm sorry. I saw light harmonics and sliver and was intoo much of a rush to answer properly.

in any case, no. 60K for a DAC is ridiculous.

Valravn

I use the ATH-ADX700 now for pretty much everything, mostly gaming. I have used gaming headsets for a long time, but finally i figured it out. Gaming headsets are all about marketing.

The adx700 sound amazing when playing games due to the large soundstage. I also bought a ModMic, not a very elegant solution but it suffices.
Comfort wise its ok. I used a G4ME zero headset before and my ears got hot after a while. Because the adx700 is open air, i dont have that problem anymore.

TomShoe

Banned
So I'm sick of using $20 headphones, and was looking to upgrade to a serious pair.

I'm looking for headphones that are ~$100 or less. Nothing from Bose, and certainly no Beats. On-ear or Over-ear, and something that is at least decently portable, though having to fold isn't necessarily a requirement. Something that provides a good sound-to-price ratio would be great. I've had my heart set on the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears (Amazon Link) for quite awhile now, but I was wondering if there were any good alternatives while I wait for the price to drop to ~$80 again. Has anyone had any good experiences with Sennheisers? Are there any good alternatives?

Manoko

So I'm sick of using $20 headphones, and was looking to upgrade to a serious pair.

I'm looking for headphones that are ~$100 or less. Nothing from Bose, and certainly no Beats. On-ear or Over-ear, and something that is at least decently portable, though having to fold isn't necessarily a requirement. Something that provides a good sound-to-price ratio would be great. I've had my heart set on the Sennheiser Momentum On-Ears (Amazon Link) for quite awhile now, but I was wondering if there were any good alternatives while I wait for the price to drop to ~$80 again. Has anyone had any good experiences with Sennheisers? Are there any good alternatives?

If you can afford just a little more than $100, the Audio Technica M50X are the best headphones you can get for that price.

And they have an amazing sound-to-price ratio.

TomShoe

Banned
If you can afford just a little more than $100, the Audio Technica M50X are the best headphones you can get for that price.

And they have an amazing sound-to-price ratio.

Are they decently portable, as in, can they fit in a backpack well enough? I was planning on using them while walking between classes.

andylsun

My local Radio Shack has Comply S tips (sport) on clearance at $3.97 down from $10. Might be just this store but picked some up.

HiResDes

Are they decently portable, as in, can they fit in a backpack well enough? I was planning on using them while walking between classes.
I'd also like to recommend the JVC S500, they cost about 30 bucks are portable and sound just as good as the M50s in some regards though they don't isolate as well and aren't as comfortable for long sessions.

phoenixyz

If you want something with a really good sound-to-price ratio you could give the AKG K518LE a try. They're also quite a bit cheaper than 100$.

I'd also like to recommend the JVC S500, they cost about 30 bucks are portable and sound just as good as the M50s in some regards though they don't isolate as well and aren't as comfortable for long sessions.

I have those, great portables. And yes, they are not comfy for 2+ hour sessions.

AlanOC91

Got some ASTRO A50 Wireless for €130 thanks to a deal in a local store. Was kinda reluctant to drop so much money on a headset. They replaced my Logitech G430s.

On initial setup I was super disappointed as the quality was awful and there was static. Then I realised I had to change default windows playback to optical audio instead of the headset and the quality improved massively. It's actually amazing. Crystal clear.

Probably the best method I've ever used to hear music/games

Can you use a desktop (headphone) amp to drive a bookshelf speaker? I have a Headroom Micro Dac and Amp.

They are a couple of old PSB 30R speakers. Can't really find any specs but they have 6.5" drivers I believe.

leng jai

Both the new T1 and DT1770 have detachable cables. About time Beyer - it's ridiculous I can't swap out the cable on my T1s without voiding the warranty.

Antiwhippy

Can you use a desktop (headphone) amp to drive a bookshelf speaker? I have a Headroom Micro Dac and Amp.

They are a couple of old PSB 30R speakers. Can't really find any specs but they have 6.5" drivers I believe.

Unless you're talking about active speakers I doubt it. Bookshelf speakers take input from bare wire, banana plugs or spades, and I don't think I've ever seen those inputs on desktop dac/amps.

Unless you're talking about active speakers I doubt it. Bookshelf speakers take input from bare wire, banana plugs or spades, and I don't think I've ever seen those inputs on desktop dac/amps.

Getting some connectors isn't much of a problem, just wondering if my amp would have enough power for them. The manual doesn't specify the specific output unfortunately.

HiResDes

Just get a little Topping T21 it'll power them just fine.

Hip Hop

So I had a buzz going on my left driver on my ATH-50's.

Was freaking out it was going bad. I'm using a sound card, and did a PC restart and it seems the buzz is gone now with lower frequencies.

dont want these to start crapping out.

Is this normal?

So I had a buzz going on my left driver on my ATH-50's.

Was freaking out it was going bad. I'm using a sound card, and did a PC restart and it seems the buzz is gone now with lower frequencies.

dont want these to start crapping out.

Is this normal?

Test it with a different device, e.g. phone, mp3 player, etc.

What would you guys recommend for ~$150 headphones between Sennheiser 598 and AKG 550? Any others I should consider? I listen to rap, jazz, and classical mostly.

Late to replying to everyone, but thank you so much for the suggestions with IEM. I haven't had much time (still) to do much research, but I feel I have enough to at least get started at looking.

Bloodember

What would you guys recommend for ~$150 headphones between Sennheiser 598 and AKG 550? Any others I should consider? I listen to rap, jazz, and classical mostly.

The Audio Technica M50x or the SoundMagic HP150 are good choices as well.

Just matters what you listen too and what kind of sound signature you want.

HiResDes

I'd recommend the AKG K553 over the 598 for those genres. AKG K612 Pro and the Soundmagic HP150 are also solid choices.

The Audio Technica M50x or the SoundMagic HP150 are good choices as well.

Just matters what you listen too and what kind of sound signature you want.

I'd recommend the AKG K553 over the 598 for those genres. AKG K612 Pro and the Soundmagic HP150 are also solid choices.
Two recommendations for the HP510, haven't heard of that brand but I'll check it out.

Are the 553 a different headphone? From what I understand the 550 and 551 are the same exact the latter has phone controls.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Does anyone have the Bang and Olufsen Beoplay H6? How do you feel about them?

I'm seeing very good reviews for them but I don't see them listed in the OP or see them mentioned to much.

andylsun

More fun with Stax energizers

I've had this Decware SE-84 tube amp kicking around for ages. It's only about 2-3W (generously rated at 5W) and don't really have any speakers that do it justice. It's a SET amp that has a reputation for great sound, but not a lot of guts. Should be perfect.

xX7TgMDl.jpg

SDJZGKol.jpg

HiResDes

Two recommendations for the HP510, haven't heard of that brand but I'll check it out.

Are the 553 a different headphone? From what I understand the 550 and 551 are the same exact the latter has phone controls.

The build quality and pads seal better on the 553 from what I've heard.

Antiwhippy

It's all the same drivers. Slightly different housing, though from what I've understood the 553 was made just so they can make it cheaper by moving their manufacturing to china. It's the reason why their headphones have been dropping pretty frequently on massdrop.

Top Bottom