• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

HiResDes

Does anyone have the Bang and Olufsen Beoplay H6? How do you feel about them?

I'm seeing very good reviews for them but I don't see them listed in the OP or see them mentioned to much.

The OP is focused on headphones under a certain price...The H6 are great, super comfortable and great detail, but boy are they bass light.

Kanguro

Neo Member
The OP is focused on headphones under a certain price...The H6 are great, super comfortable and great detail, but boy are they bass light.

Thanks... how bad can the bass be? If I purchase them it will probably be online as I have no way to test them in Mexico.

LCfiner

Thanks... how bad can the bass be? If I purchase them it will probably be online as I have no way to test them in Mexico.

If you're looking in that price range and want some more bass, consider the B&W P7 or the Oppo PM3.

the PM3 have a thicker midrange and less wide soundstage than the P7. Both are really good, though. I found the PM3 more comfortable, too.

Alright GAF, I'm new to this game. Looking for some headphones for gaming and movies, here are my reqs:

-wireless
-compatible with PS4 and X1
-chat is not required
-amazing sound ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Currently looking at the Senn RS 185 and Astro A50 but I don't really know what I'm doing. Right now I'm using Sony Golds, which feel great on my head, but I want something with better sound quality.

MegalonJJ

Banned
@HiResDes and co

I need your help please:

Whilst I love the DT 770s and would like to take them on the tube, I'm after a pair of headphones which provide the following and need some help/suggestions which would be very much appreciated:

-circumaural headphones (not on ear).
-closed back (little sound leakage as possible)
-lots of bass
-$100 or less.

HiResDes

@HiResDes and co

I need your help please:

Whilst I love the DT 770s and would like to take them on the tube, I'm after a pair of headphones which provide the following and need some help/suggestions which would be very much appreciated:

-circumaural headphones (not on ear).
-closed back (little sound leakage as possible)
-lots of bass
-$100 or less.
M-Audio Q40 (caveat sound best with some ampage)
Creative Aurvana Live (caveat don't isolate too well)
JVC S680 (caveat don't isolate too well)
Xiaomi Mi (bass can be boomy, lack detail)
Panasonic HTF600 (lack of detail in midrange, leak a bit)

Note: Replacing the pads on the JVC S680s with the HM5s should help with isolation and give them a slight boost in bass quantity.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Am I crazy for kinda wanting an Astell & Kern DAP? Jnr or 100mk2 maybe.

Though waiting for the Fiio x7 is probably better value.

If I do get a DAP I'll be buying it as a standalone. I think lineout portable amps defeat the purpose of portability.

I'm not even sure what I'll be improving though. I remain unconvinced that a phone isn't adequate enough if your headphones can be driven at a listenable level.

Bloodember

I'm gonna get a Fiio X3 2nd Gen.
The Fiio X3 2nd gen is an awesome DAP, I've had one for about three weeks, use it everyday, the sound signature and clarity blows me away, wish I bought a good DAP sooner, used an IPod for way to many years.

I'm really liking what I'm hearing about the x7 though, sounds like it will be an outstanding DAP.

Alright GAF, I'm new to this game. Looking for some headphones for gaming and movies, here are my reqs:

-wireless
-chat is not required

Currently looking at the Senn RS 185 and Astro A50 but I don't really know what I'm doing. Right now I'm using Sony Golds, which feel great on my head, but I want something with better sound quality.

Also, I should add that I also have an old Sennheiser HD280. How do they stack up to something like Astro50 or Senn RS 185?

I'm gonna get a Fiio X3 2nd Gen.

I have that, it is awesome.

Also, I should add that I also have an old Sennheiser HD280. How do they stack up to something like Astro50 or Senn RS 185?

I used to have the HD280, they were my first pair of quality headphones. I don't know about the other two, but I found the HD280 to be very boring and flat. They have excellent isolation, but clamp very tightly. I stretched mine out over a couple books for a day and that helped a bit but not by much.

I don't know if there are wireless headphones with amazing sound. Back in university I had a roommate who used a pair of wireless Sennheisers for PC gaming, and he liked them.

I was trying to be nice but in comparison to say a pair of AKG Q701 or K701 they lose on every front except maybe on bass quantity.

Well shit. Say we take away the wireless requirement. Would would you guys recommend for quality sound for gaming? I'd be plugging the headphones into the controller. So I guess basically any headphones with a 3.5mm jack would do. What's going to deliver me the best sound for gaming?

-wireless
-chat is not required

MegalonJJ

Banned
Creative Aurvana Live (caveat don't isolate too well)
Panasonic HTF600 (lack of detail in midrange, leak a bit)

Amazon UK have the above available and what if I upped the budget to $150 but still only want:

-circumaural only
-lots of bass
-a little sound leakage as possible.

Antiwhippy

Well shit. Say we take away the wireless requirement. Would would you guys recommend for quality sound for gaming? I'd be plugging the headphones into the controller. So I guess basically any headphones with a 3.5mm jack would do. What's going to deliver me the best sound for gaming?

If you don't need bass quantity, the audio technica ad700.

If having a wide soundstage for gaming isn't a priority then maybe something like a vmoda m80?

You could still try wireless though. Is it just Bluetooth that you need? If money isn't an objective give stuff like the Sony mdr1bt, sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless and parrot zik 2.0 a look.

HiResDes

Amazon UK have the above available and what if I upped the budget to $150 but still only want:

-circumaural only
-lots of bass
-a little sound leakage as possible.
A few cons in parenthesis:

DT 770 Pro 80 OHM (they sound better with just a bit ampage)
Sony MDR-1A (a little leakage at high volumes)
AKG K545 (treble can be a little peaky, not as isolating as its big brother, a little amping goes a long way)
Ultrasone HFI-580 (tight clamping pressure)
Audio Technica WS99 (must replace pads with HM5 ones in order to be circumaural)
Soundmagic HP150 (a little out of your price range)

Waikis

The wireless Steelseries headphone is really good for a gaming headset:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6IJ5NI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Comes with a baller OLED control unit too.

You really don't want to connect the headphone to the controller as it degrades the sound quality significantly.

What I use: Audio Technica AD900 (open backed)

What is your budget? If <$100, I recommend:
Superlux HD668B, Superlux HD681, Samson SR850

Around $100-150:
Audio Technica A900, NVX Audio XPT100

Pair any of these with a ModMic and this splitter and you can plug them into the DS4.

Ullus

Man, I just got a pure-white cat, and I'm so worried if my Fidelio X1 are gonna bleed on it's fur or not. Anyone had the misfortune of trying it?

So, aurisonic 1plus for 300usd or wait for the bravo series?

The 1 Plus is more a neutral tuning than what I assume the Bravo series is going to entail. Well, I guess the Solo is gonna be neutralish as well, but the entirety of the Bravo series looks to offer something for everyone. I'd honestly wait it out.

That aside, I received this from Flare Audio today:

Hallo lovely backers,
We have a little Friday treat for you...
Our R2PRO's have just gone live on Amazon at the RRP of £400.
However, *for one week only we are giving all of our backers (and friends of backers) the opportunity to purchase them at the Kickstarter price of £200 - a whopping 50% discount using this code:
T89O6OHZ

Yes - very exciting!

Really great price for an awesome phone.

The wireless Steelseries headphone is really good for a gaming headset:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6IJ5NI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Comes with a baller OLED control unit too.

You really don't want to connect the headphone to the controller as it degrades the sound quality significantly.
I'm giving the Steelseries H a good look right now, seems like a great headset.

Is there anything better (for gaming i.e. surround sound, healthy bass) that doesn't include chat? Because I keep saying gaming and I think to most people it sounds like "requires chat" but it does not.

Also, I did some testing with my Sony Golds and Senn HD280s. Found that Golds sound WAY better (surprisingly) than the Senns on both PS4 and X1. I experimented with plugging headphones directly into my receiver, and then into each controller. PS4 controller took a huge hit and pretty much sounds like ass, but wireless virtual surround mode (the notch on "2") sounds just as good if not better. Plugging into the Xbox One controller surprisingly sounded just as good as directly into the receiver. Plus, I read that the new One controller has even better audio output through the controller (Elite included).

Anyway, while the Golds sound great, I'd still like better sound. Based on reviews and specs, the Steelseries H is looking pretty strong right now, but again I am not an audiophile and don't know much about the headphone game.

^ I posted some recommendations, did you check them out?
What I use: Audio Technica AD900 (open backed)

What is your budget? If <$100, I recommend:
Superlux HD668B, Superlux HD681, Samson SR850

Around $100-150:
Audio Technica A900, NVX Audio XPT100

Pair any of these with a ModMic and this splitter and you can plug them into the DS4.
re: budget - I'd spend up to $350 or so on a good pair of headphones that could last me ~10 years. The headsets you recommended - are they surround sound? Is surround sound really even a big difference from a good stereo sound?

and re: the mic - when I want to chat, I'll just use my surround sound system and the cheap chat headset. I want nice headphones for when I play alone and want to hear the game really well.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900 - I've never used open-back headphones...never even heard of them. I am intrigued though.
NVX Audio XPT100 - damn good reviews, but at $99, isn't there something better out there? This is the same price point as the ones I'm looking to replace (Sony Golds).

HiResDes

He gave you some damn good recs, i haven't been too impressed with headsets that supposedly have 7.1 surround built into them especially in comparison to a good set of open headphones.

I'd also add the Fidelio X2, AKG Q701, Sony MDRMA900, AD700, and Sennheiser HD 598 to the list of recs.

Also apart from the bass response NVX XPT100's are definitely superior to the Sony Gold.

Xiaomi Pistons came in today
They're replacing my broken Monoprice 8320. I was not expecting the increase in bass, but I'm not hating it :D Its not muddy or overwhelming, but "fun".

7bjZOus.jpg

He gave you some damn good recs, i haven't been too impressed with headsets that supposedly have 7.1 surround built into them especially in comparison to a good set of open headphones.

I'd also add the Fidelio X2, AKG Q701, Sony MDRMA900, AD700, and Sennheiser HD 598 to the list of recs.

Also apart from the bass response NVX XPT100's are definitely superior to the Sony Gold.

Yeah, if his budget is $350 or so, the Fidelio X2 or AKG Q701 are great suggestions. Great soundstage from both of them, and super comfy.
But even the headphones I recommended can last a long time if you take care of them and don't throw them around.

And for headphones, I'd take stereo over the "7.1 surround sound" any day.

re: budget - I'd spend up to $350 or so on a good pair of headphones that could last me ~10 years. The headsets you recommended - are they surround sound? Is surround sound really even a big difference from a good stereo sound?

and re: the mic - when I want to chat, I'll just use my surround sound system and the cheap chat headset. I want nice headphones for when I play alone and want to hear the game really well.

Audio Technica ATH-AD900 - I've never used open-back headphones...never even heard of them. I am intrigued though.
NVX Audio XPT100 - damn good reviews, but at $99, isn't there something better out there? This is the same price point as the ones I'm looking to replace (Sony Golds).

Edit-

Open backed headphones leak sound, so people around you can hear it (though it's not that loud). A big advantage to this design is that the soundstage for such headphones are wider. If you're playing The Last of Us, for example, you'd hear rain hitting something behind you as well as footsteps coming from your left or right, etc.

Waikis

I'm giving the Steelseries H a good look right now, seems like a great headset.

Is there anything better (for gaming i.e. surround sound, healthy bass) that doesn't include chat? Because I keep saying gaming and I think to most people it sounds like "requires chat" but it does not.

Also, I did some testing with my Sony Golds and Senn HD280s. Found that Golds sound WAY better (surprisingly) than the Senns on both PS4 and X1. I experimented with plugging headphones directly into my receiver, and then into each controller. PS4 controller took a huge hit and pretty much sounds like ass, but wireless virtual surround mode (the notch on "2") sounds just as good if not better. Plugging into the Xbox One controller surprisingly sounded just as good as directly into the receiver. Plus, I read that the new One controller has even better audio output through the controller (Elite included).

Anyway, while the Golds sound great, I'd still like better sound. Based on reviews and specs, the Steelseries H is looking pretty strong right now, but again I am not an audiophile and don't know much about the headphone game.

If you prefer the Golds to HD280s then I don't think audiophile headsets such as K701 etc will appeal to you.

Also, while those audiophile headphones do have the potential to sound better than the Steelseries Headset, you will need an amp and a good source. And to stress my earlier point, Wireless >>>>> PS4 controller.

Antiwhippy

Getting more listens on my meeleec m-duo with the spinfits now, and I still really like it! The housing of the m-duos still irritate my ears a bit but it's not as bad as with the other tips, though I found the small stock one to be pretty comfortable. To me the deeper insertion brought out the mids more and made the bass less boomy and more defined. Still think they sound pretty damn good for the price. The small stock ones are a wider bore that turns the sound noticeably more v-shaped, though don't get me wrong, even with the spinfits these are still a v-shaped sound.

HiResDes

If you prefer the Golds to HD280s then I don't think audiophile headsets such as K701 etc will appeal to you.

Also, while those audiophile headphones do have the potential to sound better than the Steelseries Headset, you will need an amp and a good source. And to stress my earlier point, Wireless >>>>> PS4 controller.
The Sony MDRMA900 and the X2 sound just fine unamped for example, not every good headphone is very source dependent. Also the Sennheiser HD 280 are not good headphones so I'm not sure I should be surprised he liked the Gold more.

Waikis

The Sony MDRMA900 and the X2 sound just fine unamped for example, not every good headphone is very source dependent. Also the Sennheiser HD 280 are not good headphones so I'm not sure I should be surprised he liked the Gold more.

True, but again he's already indicated that he will be connecting the headphone to the DS4 output. When the option is either to go wireless vs DS4's output, isn't it clear what the better option is?

HiResDes

True, but again he's already indicated that he will be connecting the headphone to the DS4 output. When the option is either to go wireless vs DS4's output, isn't it clear what the better option is?
Not gonna lie, no idea, PC gaming only over here.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Is there a pair of headphones with ear pads as large as the Sennheiser HD800's? Is such a thing even possible? I just recently found out that all of my headphones' ear pads don't actually surround my ears (HD598, ATH-AD700x, Sony MDR-MA900), which results in discomfort and red spots over extended use.

From my experience, yeah, the controller's' output is not that good. But for his budget, I'd recommend getting a pair of open back headphones plus the astro mixamp over any gaming headset. Not a wireless setup tho.

Waikis

Is there a pair of headphones with ear pads as large as the Sennheiser HD800's? Is such a thing even possible? I just recently found out that all of my headphones' ear pads don't actually surround my ears (HD598, ATH-AD700x, Sony MDR-MA900), which results in discomfort and red spots over extended use

He1000 has massive earcups ;)

Top Bottom