• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

True, but again he's already indicated that he will be connecting the headphone to the DS4 output. When the option is either to go wireless vs DS4's output, isn't it clear what the better option is?
Naw- per my testing earlier, connecting to the DS4 sounds like ass but connecting to the X1 surprisingly sounds close to source. Either way though, I'm just going to connect direct to the receiver. You guys are teaching me a lot :)

Those X2s look more in line with what I'm looking for, except some reviews note a weaker sounding bass. I want a strong bass that makes gunfire and explosions sound awesome. Have you guys used the X2s for gaming? How is the bass?

Is there a pair of headphones with ear pads as large as the Sennheiser HD800's? Is such a thing even possible? I just recently found out that all of my headphones' ear pads don't actually surround my ears (HD598, ATH-AD700x, Sony MDR-MA900), which results in discomfort and red spots over extended use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gXPtdjE2YXnJ-DlhP7_Q07xbD38akd5rRar4QttfeWE/edit#gid=0 Hasn't been updated in a while, but gives you an idea. I have the K7xx and they are comfy as hell (coming from someone who has big ears and sold the HD600 because they were too small).

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...eWE/edit#gid=0 Hasn't been updated in a while, but gives you an idea. I have the K7xx and they are comfy as hell (coming from someone who has big ears and sold the HD600 because they were too small).
Thank you! I actually saw this list yesterday and it's why I asked if there's anything as big as the HD800 but in a reachable price range for me. I guess there is none. I've been eyeing AKG for a while and might just go with the K702 and hope for the best.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Welp, just placed a bid on a gr07 BE and now I'm not sure if I really want it.

Goddamn my impulse control.

Hoping I don't win it, but if I do I guess that the gr07 is still pretty cool?

HiResDes

Naw- per my testing earlier, connecting to the DS4 sounds like ass but connecting to the X1 surprisingly sounds close to source. Either way though, I'm just going to connect direct to the receiver. You guys are teaching me a lot :)

Those X2s look more in line with what I'm looking for, except some reviews note a weaker sounding bass. I want a strong bass that makes gunfire and explosions sound awesome. Have you guys used the X2s for gaming? How is the bass?

Anyone who says that the X2
have weak bass needs their ears checked, it's slightly more balanced than on the X1, but it's definitely present. With that being said I really get the feeling that maybe the other poster was right and that you should just go with whatever headset you were originally looking at as I don't think you'll really be able to appreciate the tonal qualities and detailed nuances of various entry audiophile headphones. The bass on open headphones has a different nature than that of most closed sets, and therefore even the bassier sets like the X1, HE-400, Fischer-011 and DT990 really can't quite replicate the physical slam of a closed bass cannon.
Anyone try the Hifiman HE400s?
Which version the 400,400s,or 400i?

have weak bass needs their ears checked, it's slightly more balanced than on the X1, but it's definitely present. With that being said I really get the feeling that maybe the other poster was right and that you should just go with whatever headset you were originally looking at as I don't think you'll really be able to appreciate the tonal qualities and detailed nuances of various entry audiophile headphones. The bass on open headphones has a different nature than that of most closed sets, and therefore even the bassier sets like the X1, HE-400, Fischer-011 and DT990 really can't quite replicate the physical slam of a closed bass cannon.

Oops, meant to make it uppercase. I mean the new 400S, the $299 one. Impressions seem really positive.

Wonder if it would be a good complement to the rest of my setup:
Denon D2000
Headroom Micro stack

HiResDes

I don't know, I would think the 400i would be the better complement to your Denon.

It's really weird you brought this up as I was just reading about the S like a half hour ago. I was personally considering the original iteration after seeing them drop to $250, and reading that they have the most subbass, but since you have the Denon you might want something more neutral. The S seems to be the middle man between the I and the OG.

What if, instead of gaming, I said I was only interested in using headphones to listen to EDM music?

Antiwhippy

If you want prominent bass go for the v-moda m100.

Has a removable cable so you can swap out for a longer cable for your entertainment system or you could also get the v-moda boom pro if you need a mic.

Like really, it depends on how much you prioritise competitive gaming. Open headphones will have less bass slam and body than closed models but they'll have the soundstage for better audio positioning. If you don't though the m100 is more than good enough.

Antiwhippy

I'd say that the v-moda would also satisfy his preferences more.

You could also use it for portable use if you want more versatility.

Looks like the V-Moda is much lighter and has better bass quality than the X2 due to being closed. However, it might make my ears hotter, the cable is much shorter, and it's rated slightly lower in reviews than the X2. I've read that adding an amp to the X2 will enhance the bass to the level of the V-Moda.

As my intention is to use these at home (when the wife and kid are sleeping behind closed doors) and mostly for FPS gaming where soundstage is important, I'm thinking the X2 would be the more appropriate choice for my needs (and possibly with an amp?). I do want to listen to EDM and hip hop on them, plus watching the odd blu ray here and there.

Obviously I'm not set on the X2s or anything, just giving you guys my impressions and curious about your thoughts.

HiResDes

The whole HifiMan series has pretty big pads, Denon also have big pads, oh and the Pioneer SE-A1000. Oh and the Alpha Pads/HM5 pads look pretty big and fit a large variety of headphones.

HiResDes

Looks like the V-Moda is much lighter and has better bass quality than the X2 due to being closed. However, it might make my ears hotter, the cable is much shorter, and it's rated slightly lower in reviews than the X2. I've read that adding an amp to the X2 will enhance the bass to the level of the V-Moda.

As my intention is to use these at home (when the wife and kid are sleeping behind closed doors) and mostly for FPS gaming where soundstage is important, I'm thinking the X2 would be the more appropriate choice for my needs (and possibly with an amp?). I do want to listen to EDM and hip hop on them, plus watching the odd blu ray here and there.

Obviously I'm not set on the X2s or anything, just giving you guys my impressions and curious about your thoughts.
HE-400 might be worth looking into for those purposes. Oh and if you can find them Fischer FA-011 are absolute bass cannons especially when amped.

HE-400 might be worth looking into for those purposes. Oh and if you can find them Fischer FA-011 are absolute bass cannons especially when amped.
400i looks really nice but I keep reading glowing reviews of the X2, even in comparison to 400i.

So for enjoying X2 in the living room (ie connected to my av receiver vs pc), would I need an amp? Or does the receiver provide enough power? And would a dac improve sound quality coming from games/movies that are connected to the receiver via HDMI? Also is there any typical setting I should set on my receiver for the best headphone sound quality?

HiResDes

Not the 400i, but the 400. There's a difference, but I just suggested those became they have more subbass than the X2. The X1 is also a bit bassier.

Waikis

400i looks really nice but I keep reading glowing reviews of the X2, even in comparison to 400i.

So for enjoying X2 in the living room (ie connected to my av receiver vs pc), would I need an amp? Or does the receiver provide enough power? And would a dac improve sound quality coming from games/movies that are connected to the receiver via HDMI? Also is there any typical setting I should set on my receiver for the best headphone sound quality?

X2 is very easy to drive, so you wouldn't need to get an amplifier. A proper headphone amplifier will make it sound better, but at this stage the receiver should be good enough.

A DAC might improve the sound quality, but it's not built with Home Theater in mind, so you won't find a DAC that supports DTS etc etc.
Even if you do decide to use a DAC in the following chain: console -> DAC -> receiver -> headphone, it will depend on whether the receiver allows you to bypass its own internal DAC. If it doesn't, the signal will just get reprocessed by the receiver's own internal DAC.

Antiwhippy

Are receivers considered bad amplifiers? I use my k551 with it all the time, and they can drive it with ease and they sound perfectly fine. Granted, the k551 is very easy to drive.

Waikis

Are receivers considered bad amplifiers? I use my k551 with it all the time, and they can drive it with ease and they sound perfectly fine. Granted, the k551 is very easy to drive.

That would depend on the output and headphone impedance.
I tried hd800 with Naim Nait and it sounded anemic.

Coreda

Wish I knew how to fix the channel imbalance on my Sennheiser HD-25s. I expect it's from the cord being jerked violently a few times accidentally which may have affected the wires, as fiddling with the L/R cables fixes the imbalance for a time. Were perfect for years before then.

Tried removing the cables from the top of the cans in case re-connecting them would help but they are pretty well lodged in there and I'm not going to try it any more forcefully until I have more info.

If need be I may purchase replacement cables although I'm not sure it's the cables themselves causing the off-and-on imbalance.

Wish I knew how to fix the channel imbalance on my Sennheiser HD-25s. I expect it's from the cord being jerked violently a few times accidentally which may have affected the wires, as fiddling with the L/R cables fixes the imbalance for a time. Were perfect for years before then.

Tried removing the cables from the top of the cans in case re-connecting them would help but they are pretty well lodged in there and I'm not going to try it any more forcefully until I have more info.

If need be I may purchase replacement cables although I'm not sure it's the cables themselves causing the off-and-on imbalance.

Maybe you could warranty them?

Antiwhippy

I've had channel imbalance issues with my hd25 too. It doesn't have to be the connectors at the drivers, it could be a problem with the connection at the jack too. That was my problem.

Coreda

Maybe you could warranty them?

It would be way past that time, but I may call them anyway.

I've had channel imbalance issues with my hd25 too. It doesn't have to be the connectors at the drivers, it could be a problem with the connection at the jack too. That was my problem.

How did you fix it? The jack doesn't seem to affect the imbalance when moved around but I'm open to any tips.

Antiwhippy

I bought new cables.

If the issue does stem from the connection to the driver though it might be an issue with the headphone cup itself, which is a far trickier thing to deal with.

The HD25 is pretty easy to disassemble and you can have a look in there and see if the connector is loose. You might need to do some soldering if that's the case.

Looking for a new pair of IEMs. Prefer something a bit bass heavier. Don't mind spending a few bucks for a quality pair.

MEElectronics A161P
RHA MA750

My two previous pairs of IEMs.

HiResDes

Looking for a new pair of IEMs. Prefer something a bit bass heavier. Don't mind spending a few bucks for a quality pair.

MEElectronics A161P
RHA MA750

My two previous pairs of IEMs.
I'd look into the Dunu Titan, Fischer Audio Consonance, Monster Turbine, Vsonic VSD5, Ostry KC06a, and Zero Audio Carbo Basso depending on how much you wanna spend.

X2 is very easy to drive, so you wouldn't need to get an amplifier. A proper headphone amplifier will make it sound better, but at this stage the receiver should be good enough.

A DAC might improve the sound quality, but it's not built with Home Theater in mind, so you won't find a DAC that supports DTS etc etc.
Even if you do decide to use a DAC in the following chain: console -> DAC -> receiver -> headphone, it will depend on whether the receiver allows you to bypass its own internal DAC. If it doesn't, the signal will just get reprocessed by the receiver's own internal DAC.
Thanks! I just placed an order for the X2, it sounds like they are perfect for my all-around needs and will be a big improvement over my Sony Golds.

Should I invest in an amp or dac for iPhone music listening or is it not necessary with the X2? Also, do I need to break these in? If so, what's the best way to go about doing it?

Not the 400i, but the 400. There's a difference, but I just suggested those became they have more subbass than the X2. The X1 is also a bit bassier.
Apparent the 400 sounds great, but it's pretty ugly and really heavy! Curious about the 400S though, but regardless I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the X2.

Thanks! I just placed an order for the X2, it sounds like they are perfect for my all-around needs and will be a big improvement over my Sony Golds.

Should I invest in an amp or dac for iPhone music listening or is it not necessary with the X2? Also, do I need to break these in? If so, what's the best way to go about doing it?

Apparent the 400 sounds great, but it's pretty ugly and really heavy! Curious about the 400S though, but regardless I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the X2.

An amp isn't really necessary for the X2. But if the bitrate on your music files is low or the recording quality poor, with better headphones you might notice the music not sounding as good as you thought.

And regarding breaking in new headphones, many people swear by burning in headphones (playing music/white noise continuously for 50-100+ hours at a normal listening volume) but many do not believe it does anything. You can simply plug in the headphones and start listening right away. Personally, I burn in all my new headphones for about 50 hours (consisting of a 2 minute track of pink noise followed by a 1 minute track of silence). I think I can hear a slight difference.

HiResDes

I only believe in brain burn in with most things, break them in by just listening to them a shit ton...It makes the pseudo process quite enjoyable.

Reading more about the upcoming HE-400S, do you guys expect it to outperform the X2? They both cost $299; maybe I should cancel my X2 order and wait for reviews of the 400S. Apparently planar magnetics a big deal... Thoughts?

Tommy DJ

Yes and no. Like headphone amps, depends on the headphone output implementation and maybe power amp quality.

The headphone out is either it a pretty basic OPAMP design or powered via the power amp with resistors to prevent your headphones from blowing. OPAMPs are OPAMPs, they probably just follow some standard implementation so you're not getting anything special. The power amp + resistor implementation is dependent on how good/powerful the power amp stage is, the type of headphones you have, and the amount of resistance. Most are around 60 ohms but some get up to 600 ohms and make headphones sound like bass monsters.

Higher output impedance isn't really a bad thing at times since it can make certain headphones sound subjectively better like the Beyedynamic DT880 or Sennheiser HD800. Subjectively, I think headphones sound pretty good out of the Yamaha amps/receivers I've tried. I've also tried a couple C series NAD integrated amps and they sound like absolute muddy shit.

HiResDes

Hey, so I have these deteriorating pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones that served their purpose for a few years (2012-now) and were okay, but not great. They were these ones: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001WRSJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm looking for a little more expensive ones that have better sound quality, but not like ridiculous expensive. Like, from $80 - $150 max. If anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome. If not, that's fine also. I was thinking about these anyway since I heard the brand was good: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks!
What are some things you liked about their sound and areas you thought needed improvement?

Antiwhippy

Whew, got outbid for the gr07 be.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed it if I got it, but got too impulsive there.

Also it was already used for 6 months and vsonic's reputation for build quality isn't great.

Waikis

Whew, got outbid for the gr07 be.

I'm sure I would have enjoyed it if I got it, but got too impulsive there.

Also it was already used for 6 months and vsonic's reputation for build quality isn't great.

You dodged a bullet there. Great IEM but my GR07 only lasted 10 months.
My friend's also had channel imbalance after a year or so.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, which was why I was berating myself for jumping in so fast. Saw the great price but didn't read the fine print. :p

Antiwhippy

They look pretty good, but I've made up my mind. If I can catch the aurisonic asg1plus at the sale price I'm gonna go for it. Dunno when the bravo series will come across and the one I want will probably cost $200 to $300 aud more then what I can get the asg1plus at.

Top Bottom