• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Thinking of getting some new headphones and noticed that Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ear Headphones are on a deal on amazon for £59.99 (was £169.99) was wondering if these are any good?

also noticed a 2.0 version and wondering if there are any difference between the 2?

LCfiner

Thinking of getting some new headphones and noticed that Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 On-Ear Headphones are on a deal on amazon for £59.99 (was £169.99) was wondering if these are any good?

also noticed a 2.0 version and wondering if there are any difference between the 2?

They're good but have very shelved treble, small ear cavities and kinda boomy bass if you don't get a great fit. the fit can be tough because of the tiny ear cavities. they're suppose to be OVER ear, but they fit like an ON ear for some, which will reduce SQ.

also, that price is not a one time deal. you see them go for that price pretty frequently. so don't feel like you should get it just for the sale.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
He is talking about the on-ear versions though. :p

I had the over-ear, but apparently the on-ear is V-shaped. Meaning emphasized bass and treble. Probable recessed mids.

Would you guys recommend the Astro or Turtle Beach mixamps in conjunction with the X2 for surround sound?

I figure they are probably just unnecessary gimmicks, but I've seen a lot of folks on gaming side swear by them.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Would you guys recommend the Astro or Turtle Beach mixamps in conjunction with the X2 for surround sound?

I figure they are probably just unnecessary gimmicks, but I've seen a lot of folks on gaming side swear by them.
Put on your headphones and listen to: https://youtu.be/T9lo6heokBc this should give you an idea of what it sounds like. Some people don't like it, others do. I use my Astro mixamp with the PS4/XBO and to my ears it makes a huge difference over stereo when it comes to positioning, especially in FPS's.

andylsun

Complete pain logistics wise, but it does work. Going to try and find the smallest self-powered (external power input) USB hub I can find. Sounds great though and gives the rockets the power they need.

TBty5YYl.jpg

I recently was able to install a 128gb SDXC card in my old ipod video with the Tarkan adapter, and installed Rockbox for flac. I'm running line out audio to a Fiio E11 and enjoying my Vmoda m100's.

I'm trying to find some iem's around the 80-120 range that would work well with just the ipod. Any suggestions?

HiResDes

I recently was able to install a 128gb SDXC card in my old ipod video with the Tarkan adapter, and installed Rockbox for flac. I'm running line out audio to a Fiio E11 and enjoying my Vmoda m100's.

I'm trying to find some iem's around the 80-120 range that would work well with just the ipod. Any suggestions?
Dude I would just cop a Fiio X1 or X3 seems like an unnecessary mess to me, but oh well. Anyway, what kind of sound signature are you looking for? There's literally hundreds of decent options in the price range.

Dude I would just cop a Fiio X1 or X3 seems like an unnecessary mess to me, but oh well. Anyway, what kind of sound signature are you looking for? There's literally hundreds of decent options in the price range.

I thought about getting the x1, but I did want to reuse the ipod, and I had the sd card in my tablet not being used. Install of the adapter wasn't that hard.

On sound signature, I'm looking for something that has clear high's not just loud, and tighter bass more than something boomy. Close to reference I guess. I've been using the Monoprice 8320, but I'm looking for an upgrade.

Amazon has the Sony MDRV6 for $55.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_837390_146992780_dotd_h_t

So tempted. Has anyone listened to these and the Sennheiser 598? They compare well?

I haven't tried the Sonys, but found impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/642432/sennheiser-hd-598-compared-with-sony-mdr-v6

And a lengthy review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/6149/my-sony-mdr-v6-review-extremely-long

A big difference is one headphone is open (Senn) and the other is closed (Sony). So consider where you'll be using the headphones.

I found the HD598 to be a bit boring, actually. Decent entry phones, but there are many other options around that price point. GAF raves about them because there was an amazing Amazon sale a few months ago, and they were an upgrade for many users with "gaming" headsets.

LQX

I haven't tried the Sonys, but found impressions here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/642432/sennheiser-hd-598-compared-with-sony-mdr-v6

And a lengthy review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/6149/my-sony-mdr-v6-review-extremely-long

A big difference is one headphone is open (Senn) and the other is closed (Sony). So consider where you'll be using the headphones.

I found the HD598 to be a bit boring, actually. Decent entry phones, but there are many other options around that price point. GAF raves about them because there was an amazing Amazon sale a few months ago, and they were an upgrade for many users with "gaming" headsets.

Thanks for that first link. Just what I was looking for. Also, I was one of the many that bought 598 during the Amazon sale and it actually started my decent down the rabbit hole of headphones as I bought so many since then as it opened my ears to high-end audio. For me the 598 is still the king though. I even prefer it over my 650 but decided to keep the 650 as I got it for a great price.

Thanks for that first link. Just what I was looking for. Also, I was one of the many that bought 598 during the Amazon sale and it actually started my decent down the rabbit hole of headphones as I bought so many since then as it opened my ears to high-end audio. For me the 598 is still the king though. I even prefer it over my 650 but decided to keep the 650 as I got it for a great price.

Nice! The Sennheiser HD280 was my entry, but since then I've become a big fan of the AKG sound. I would love to own the HD650 someday, though.

HiResDes

I thought about getting the x1, but I did want to reuse the ipod, and I had the sd card in my tablet not being used. Install of the adapter wasn't that hard.

On sound signature, I'm looking for something that has clear high's not just loud, and tighter bass more than something boomy. Close to reference I guess. I've been using the Monoprice 8320, but I'm looking for an upgrade.
I really think an earphone like the Vsonic GR01, Rockit R50, or Fischer DBA-02 with a Knowles based driver would be exactly what you're looking for but they're all pretty discontinued and hard to find. However the Soundmagic E80 does indeed seem to be the real deal and seems like one of the best values in your price range for someone looking for a reference like sound signature. The Final Audio Heaven II is a great alternative. And the Ostry KC06 or Creative In Ear 3 might be my third pick.

Amazon has the Sony MDRV6 for $55.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=pe_837390_146992780_dotd_h_t

So tempted. Has anyone listened to these and the Sennheiser 598? They compare well?
That's not really that great of a deal honestly, those Sony's are treble/sibilance monsters that don't really beat the 598 in any area besides maybe just a slight boost in mid bass quantity. In my opinion it's am awful headphone outside of monitoring purposes. No, just no in my opinion. I prefer the cheap Takstar Pro 80/Gemini HSR-1000 to them in every regard.

andylsun

Kind post office person just delivered these! Great condition and no issues. They are a lot more direct than the SR-5, and have a narrower soundstage, but also very accurate.

qSXI7iwl.jpg

I'm not buying any more now...

Edit: ok there's plenty of bass with these things on Alive 2007

XBP

Ok Gaf, V-Moda m100 for 200$ (new)? Yay or nay? I dont really need it but I've never seen them this cheap and they've been in my wishlist for ages.

They look pretty good, but I've made up my mind. If I can catch the aurisonic asg1plus at the sale price I'm gonna go for it. Dunno when the bravo series will come across and the one I want will probably cost $200 to $300 aud more then what I can get the asg1plus at.

Livesoundwave has the prices up for the Bravo series:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/777483/aurisonics-new-bravo-series-now-available-for-pre-order

Other than that, I've had the DUNU Titan in for the last few days. Supremely uncomfortable earphone. Would not recommend to those with smaller ears. The metal disc just cuts right into you :l other than that they're really upper mid forward (4 khz emphasis) with a big treble peak at 8 khz which sounds pretty unnatural to me. Stuff like horns sound really weird on these. These are tuned to emphasize detail to my ears as they're quite lean and bright so I can see why some would come away impressed by it even if it doesn't actually sound right at times. The bass is actually not too bad either, as it's punchy and mildly emphasized. It also has a nice open sound to it. At the price, it's not too bad I guess, and it's really nicely made as well, but the comfort issues warrant a "buyer beware" from me.

My Fidelio X2 was delivered today. Only had time at lunch to listen to a few songs and HOLY COW! I've never worn such comfortable headphones or heard such incredible sound. Can't want to check them out with some games tonight. Thanks for all the advice, guys!

edit: the music was Mat Zo, A1 People and Kaskade.

Antiwhippy

Antiwhippy

Welp, I guess I'm going to be a kinda accidental owner of the fiio x3.

Really impulsive accidental purchases seem to be my theme of the week.

mr stroke

I love the mixamp, its a shit "amp" but great at 5.1 surround sound. I would suggest buying a used refurb mixamp off ebay(around $50-70) and pair it with a small Shiit or Fiio amp on the other side. That combo is fucking fantastic for games.

Waikis

Slow day at work, so I thought I would post my thoughts on a recent purchase, the Squeezebox Touch (SBT).

The SBT is a discontinued wireless transport from Logitech with amazing support from the die-hard modding community. The essential Enhanced Digital Output mod, for example, adds two key features:
1. The ability to connect asynchronous USB DACs (WITHOUT hearing clicks & pops)
2. 176.4KHz and 192KHz playback via S/PDIF and USB

The device also has an amazing DAC which can easily compete with higher priced dedicated DAC.

So, why did I end up purchasing the SBT? Well, I've often heard that PCs are not suitable as a transport due to the noise from other components and PSU. This is why some prefer using a laptop with linear power supply as opposed to a switch mode. The SBT then, in theory, should output a cleaner sound than my main PC.

For what it's worth, my PC has a x99 motherboard with a separate power for 2 of the USB ports for cleaner output (according to the manufacturer, the usb ports is powered separately from the rest).

After a few weeks of testing, I can confidently say that the SBT is indeed a better source for my setup. There seems to be a digital harshness when I use my PC as a source. Piano sounds, for example, seems to have this harshness / tinkly sound to it. Whereas with SBT, the piano sounds completely natural. Noise level has definitely dropped down as well.

To sum it up, the SBT is a quick and relatively cheap alternative to a proper transport and will provide a noticeable upgrade to your common PCs, especially if you don't have a DAC already.

54-46!

Alright GAF, I want to plug in my Momentum On-Ear M2 to my PC so I'm thinking about getting a small USB DAC with Stereo out and Mic in (recommendations please), along with an adapter cable to split the 4-pin 3,5mm jack.

I'm curious about the volume buttons and so forth though, will they work independently no matter what device the headphones are plugged in to?

The Momentum aren't my primary home PC cans but I want something for the occasional comfy couch mode since my PC is hooked up to the TV as well.

Bloodember

Does anyone have any experience with high end earbuds? I need no isolation and it seems earbuds would work. I want them when I'm riding my bicycle, walking and other outdoor activities. Been doing some research tonight and found a few I think would work.
Also I want a pair that requires no amp.

Yuin PK2
Ninewave NW-Studio pro
Obiquo UCT-EM905

I listen to primarily female pop artists (English, Japanese & Korean), but also some rock (English & Japanese), metal and country. I mainly want a natural, precise clean sound. A little bass is ok, just not overbearing. Any thoughts on the three above or more suggestions? Budget is no more than $150, would like to stay under $100 though but I would pay more for a great sounding pair. Thanks.

Well, this is cool, didn't know we had a headphone-gaf. I don't get over to off-topic community very often.

Just ordered an HD650! Should be here by the end of the week or early next week. Upgrading from an HD595.

Should sound pretty good out of my new Schiit Modi/Magni 2 uber stack.

Will eventually look into getting some tubes though. Maybe a Valhalla 2 or BH crack.

HiResDes

Does anyone have any experience with high end earbuds? I need no isolation and it seems earbuds would work. I want them when I'm riding my bicycle, walking and other outdoor activities. Been doing some research tonight and found a few I think would work.
Also I want a pair that requires no amp.

Yuin PK2
Ninewave NW-Studio pro
Obiquo UCT-EM905

I listen to primarily female pop artists (English, Japanese & Korean), but also some rock (English & Japanese), metal and country. I mainly want a natural, precise clean sound. A little bass is ok, just not overbearing. Any thoughts on the three above or more suggestions? Budget is no more than $150, would like to stay under $100 though but I would pay more for a great sounding pair. Thanks.
Zipbuds Pro are supposed to be great value, there's also this huge Roundup to check out:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up-update-april-25th-2015

Antiwhippy

Yay, got my fiio x3!

Haven't had much time to play around with it, and can't compare with my lg g3 because I used my phone's sd card in the x3, but I guess it sounds clearer? Sounds like there's better instrument separation, which contributes to better clarity throughout, but it could just be my brain. Still worth it thanks to the step volume controls. On Android I can't find my volume sweet spot.

headphones+v-moda boompro while gaming means I couldn't connect directly to the receiver, right? I'd have to plug it into the controller. wouldn't I?

Antiwhippy

For earbuds I've kinda wanted to try out the VE stuff. Might get an asura sometime just to play around with it.

Also heard that their new iems Duke is pretty good.

HiResDes

Can't believe they put out a 320 OHM earbud, why? Lol

I don't know why Blox makes it so hard to get their sets always wanted a pair of TM7.

For earbuds I've kinda wanted to try out the VE stuff. Might get an asura sometime just to play around with it.

Also heard that their new iems Duke is pretty good.

James already gave me the scoop on the Duke:

"Treble is harsh in a virtually uncontrollable manner" - Rin wrote this in one of his reviews (don't remember which) and it's the first thing that came to mind. The rest is fine, nice mids, tight bass. But you'll need a whole stack of teabags for dat Duke treble lol.

The Dukes, on the other hand, cut razor-sharp and sibilant even through two layers of teabag + alcohol swab. The only way I can stand them is with very deep, almost Ety-like insertion, which, fortunately, is manageable thanks to my large ear canals. They even sound pretty good that way, but it's a rather odd feeling with that kind of housing design.

Unless burn in massively changes the treble (lol)... Avoid.

Antiwhippy

Can't believe they put out a 320 OHM earbud, why? Lol

I don't know why Blox makes it so hard to get their sets always wanted a pair of TM7.

Yeah, if I need an amp for your portable headphone I don't consider them portable anymore.

James already gave me the scoop on the Duke:

Unless burn in massively changes the treble (lol)... Avoid.

See, thing is, I think I'm more tolerant of harsh treble than most people. People say that the hd25's treble is too harsh but I find them just on the edge a bit.

I don't think that's the case here. James and I have pretty good overlap in terms of the phones that we favor and I've known him for years now. He's not the type of person to shy from treble hyped phones. I mean... one of his favorite phones for years now is the FIBASS and the blinding treble on the Dunu 2KJ doesn't phase him lol, and that phone has got some pretty intense treble. If he says the treble on this phone is problematic, then I take his word for it. Besides, his impressions align with Brooko's plot. Big 3/8 kHz emphasis means it's simultaneously shouty AND sibilant. I'd imagine there's some copious ringing involved if James can't tame it with even 3 layers of fuckin filters lol

For the price just pick up a used R2A for $100-ish, mod it and rest easy knowing you've got a TOTL worthy phone for a pittance.

Antiwhippy

Packing what though? Opamps and dac chips aren't that big.

I'm mostly just amused by it. The small size despite the thick body makes it still pretty ergonomic.

accx

Hi again,
So i'm looking for recommendations on a pair of comfortable over ear headphones?
Mainly listening to electronic music. They need to be closed since they will be used in an office setting.
Around $50 is the price i'm looking at. I'd prefer if they were available in EU but it's not a deal breaker.

EDIT:
Oh i forgot about soundstage. V-shaped would be best i think. It's a present for my girlfriend, which i posted about a couple of months ago. She decided to buy some shitty $10 in-ears which broke after a month and she's been without headphones since then. I've tried to get her to go listen to a pair but without luck. So since her birthday is coming up i've decided i'm gonna buy her a pair.

Top Bottom