• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
At that price point you'll find a lot of iems that fit every criteria except for the over ear headphone part. Lots of pretty good iems with that sound signature.

For over ear headphones though? I'd look at the audio technica sq505 or the koss ur50.

accx

At that price point you'll find a lot of iems that fit every criteria except for the over ear headphone part. Lots of pretty good iems with that sound signature.

For over ear headphones though? I'd look at the audio technica sq505 or the koss ur50.

Thanks, will check them out! How about on ears? I reckon they would be uncomfortable after awhile though...

I might be able to bump up the budget to $80, is there any others at that price range?

HiResDes

Thanks, will check them out! How about on ears? I reckon they would be uncomfortable after awhile though...

I might be able to bump up the budget to $80, is there any others at that price range?
You won't gain much going up to $80. I'd just add the Creative Aurvana Live, Audio Technica M30x, Panasonic HTF600, and JVC S680s to your list of options.

amnesiac

Okay, so a couple weeks back I sent my ATH-M50s and got the cable repaired. Something weird started happening the other day though.

On my computer, phone, etc. they work perfectly fine. But for some reason, when I hook them up to my turntable amplifier, the right channel's sound is significantly decreased, almost to the point where you can't hear it. The balance is set correctly and other headphones work fine. I tried using a different adapter jack but the issue persists.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Anyone here have experience with the aurisonic asg2.5?

Their concept kinda intrigues me.

It's not exactly my signature of choice, but it's a good phone if you like a very energetic and bassy presentation. The midrange is good, and the treble has more energy than what I remembered of the ASG-2. Still think you should wait it out for the Bravo series if any of AS' phones interest you. The ASG 2.5 is like... $700 USD retail compared to the Harmony's more reasonable $500, and I really don't think that they will drop the 2.5's price once the Bravo series launches since that's a separate product line from their pro monitoring oriented G series. (and there are a few impressions that seem to indicate that the Harmony is better than the 2.5 anyway)

Besides that, seems like JHA has finally got their shit together, cause they're now knocking out perfect looking CF weaves in the latest batches, and a buncha new posters are posting up perfect looking sets:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765867/jh-audio-angie-impressions-and-discussion-thread/435#post_11857434

Compare to one of the sets I received here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746964/jh-audio-layla-and-angie-head-fi-tv/1590#post_11557032

http://www.head-fi.org/t/746964/jh-audio-layla-and-angie-head-fi-tv/1635#post_11561905

Unbelievable. Looks like I'll be contacting them AGAIN to exchange my phones. This will be the fourth pair of Angies I have gone through in under 4 months. Just hope they won't relegate me to some 3 month long waiting list or some shit like what happened with SGS :l

mr stroke

Has anyone here that has listened to a $1-2k amp: is there an actual audible difference between a $100 headphone amp and a $1k one? Or am I just getting fancy packaging/connections and a little bit cleaner sound?

LCfiner

Has anyone here that has listened to a $1-2k amp, is there an actual audible difference between a $100 headphone amp and a $1k one? Or am I just getting fancy packaging/connections and a little bit cleaner sound?

There can be a difference but it depends on the headphones you are using. Eg: Senn hd800 scale and get better and better with good quality gear. But, say, a grado rs1? Not nearly as much in my experience.

i've also found that not all music recordings really benefit from the higher end dacs and amps and headphones.

Wonder where the sweet spot is... say you have a $1k budget. $800 headphones, $200 dac/amp? $600 phones, $400 dac/amp? Too many variables I'm sure, but I'm guessing spending at least 70% on the phones is the way to go?

LCfiner

Wonder where the sweet spot is... say you have a $1k budget. $800 headphones, $200 dac/amp? $600 phones, $400 dac/amp? Too many variables I'm sure, but I'm guessing spending at least 70% on the phones is the way to go?

too many variables. For instance. Some (smart) people will tell you that you will get much better performance out of a $350ish Senn HD600/650 plus a nice $350 amp and $300 DAC, than on a $700 or $800 dollar headphone like the Audeze EL-8 with a 200 amp/dac combo.

I’d say if you’re going IEMs, skimp on the amp/dac as IEMs easy to power and a good portable source can cost under $200 (Fiio stuff or a straight up iPod touch/ nano - yes, iPods are good quality sources).

if you’re going for a home rig, some headphones will scale up surprisingly well with better gear so it might be better to make the spread of cash more even amongst components.

Antiwhippy

It's not exactly my signature of choice, but it's a good phone if you like a very energetic and bassy presentation. The midrange is good, and the treble has more energy than what I remembered of the ASG-2. Still think you should wait it out for the Bravo series if any of AS' phones interest you. The ASG 2.5 is like... $700 USD retail compared to the Harmony's more reasonable $500, and I really don't think that they will drop the 2.5's price once the Bravo series launches since that's a separate product line from their pro monitoring oriented G series. (and there are a few impressions that seem to indicate that the Harmony is better than the 2.5 anyway)

The thing is that there is a pretty massive sale going on now where I am with the aurisonic range, and the 2.5 is $450usd. The 1plus is 300usd.

So I'm really struggling to decide if I really want to splash out for the 2.5. It sounds like a pretty unique headphone in any case.

The thing is that there is a pretty massive sale going on now where I am with the aurisonic range, and the 2.5 is $450usd. The 1plus is 300usd.

So I'm really struggling to decide if I really want to splash out for the 2.5. It sounds like a pretty unique headphone in any case.

Ah, I see. That is a pretty good deal indeed! I guess if things don't work out, you can always resell to a fellow Aussie on HF.

Give Eke's review a read:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/664613/review-aurisonics-asg-2-2-5-with-many-comparisons

And Mark's as well:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/774000/aurisonics-asg-2-5-review-by-mark2410

I used to own an ASG 2, and I've heard the 2.5 on a few occasions through a friend. I preferred the 2.5 to the 2, and felt it was comparable to the FitEar Parterre with bass ports completely closed. It's more of a bass/midcentric type of tuning, so if that sounds appealing to you then give it a shot. I think the closest full sized can that it resembles is maybe the LCD-2

Antiwhippy

I actually do like that kind of sound, which is how I felt about my momentums, though I didn't like how much the treble rolls off on the momentums. As long as they have good treble extension I think I might go for it.

mr stroke

I would think $800 headphones with a $200 amp would sound better than a $800 amp and $200 headphones
But who knows with out exact testing

With how good portable equipment is these days, I don't imagine that the vast majority of listeners would need anything other than a Geek Out or the Leckerton MK II. Hell, the Leck is supposed to be better than some full fledged desktop amps. It's certainly the most transparent portable I've used anyway and can drive an HD800/LCD in a pinch til you can afford higher end, dedicated components

Antiwhippy

Been using my X3 as a DAC for my computer now, which was partly why I wanted one in the first place. Gotta say it's pretty seamless and painless other than the initial configuration part. I like it! Cleaner than the output from my computer, plus seeing that I have a rechargeable wireless mouse I always have a micro usb cable on my desk which is at a very convenient spot for me to plug it in. Nice to have an all in one device in a way.

FoxSpirit

I generally feel like if you're buying amps and dacs to colour the sound you might as well just EQ.
Depends. Stuff like tube sound is not simple equing, it's messing around with the sound by adding stuff in. And often, that adds something to bland recordings that was simply missing before.

Antiwhippy

I understand, though from my experience it's more about how a dac/amp produces note decay. Which isn't what eq is used for. But if you're buying a dac/amp because it has a bass boost or if it brings the mids out better or if it tames the highs just go eq from my experience.

There's only so much you can colour the original mastering too. De la soul's 3 feet high and rising will always sound indistinct and hollow no matter what I hear it through (well, at least with the equipment I've used) but hey, I still love that album.

Also forgive me if I'm wrong, because I have never tried out the combo due to it not being anywhere near my budget, but I'm always perplexed when people say that the hd800 needs tubes. If you want a warm and lush sound why buy the hd800s in the first place?

Its because in stock form, the HD800 suffers from treble ringing. This is why the Anaxmod was devised. Of course people without any sort of modding know how will try to find components (amps, DACs, cables) that "synergize" with the HD800.

Also, some DACs/amps possess roll off at the extremes

Antiwhippy

Which is kind of my point really. At that price point you might as well find something you actually like on stock form. Paying that much for something you consider imperfect and then have to do stuff to make it good for your tastes seems insane to me.

LCfiner

Which is kind of my point really. At that price point you might as well find something you actually like on stock form. Paying that much for something you consider imperfect and then have to do stuff to make it good for your tastes seems insane to me.

Even at that price point, every TOTL headphone has been called crap by people who have tried them all or has some flaw that will cause some people to mostly like it but wish it were better in some way.

So, for some people who dislike the weight and lack of soundstage of the Audeze lineup, the shouty mids and lack of subbass of the high end Grados, the piercing treble of the T1, the V shaped sound of the TH900, the lack of dynamic impact of Stax (you get the idea) the Senn HD800 is a pretty good option. it really is very well balanced and is super comfortable.

BUT, the peak at around 6kHz can be annoying for some ears. some cheap mods can alleviate it. Or a good quality tube amp can very slightly take the edge off without making it sound gooey or losing its good qualities.

The point I’m trying to make (somewhat awkwardly) is that even at that price level, the top headphones still have some flaws. and someone might consider a particular phone “perfect” and better than all the other options by a large margin, but it would need just a little tweak.

EQ can provide that tweak and some people do use it well. But, in the case of the HD800, it is possible to get a good quality amp that can be adjusted with tubes to keep that treble peak down just so. and some people prefer that. the amps that are typically recommended for the HD800 are good amps on their own and not bought just for the EQ effect. But that is a consideration for a picky headphone like the HD800.

Antiwhippy

Fair enough. In the case of the hd800 it seems like something that is unique to the acoustics of the driver's housing.

So, for some people who dislike the weight and lack of soundstage of the Audeze lineup, the shouty mids and lack of subbass of the high end Grados, the piercing treble of the T1, the V shaped sound of the TH900, the lack of dynamic impact of Stax (you get the idea) the Senn HD800 is a pretty good option. it really is very well balanced and is super comfortable.

BUT, the peak at around 6kHz can be annoying for some ears. some cheap mods can alleviate it. Or a good quality tube amp can very slightly take the edge off without making it sound gooey or losing its good qualities.

The point I’m trying to make (somewhat awkwardly) is that even at that price level, the top headphones still have some flaws. and someone might consider a particular phone “perfect” and better than all the other options by a large margin, but it would need just a little tweak.

Exactly this. I'd agree that all phones possess flaws in some way or another. The HD800 does possess traits that are sort of unique to it, such as its ability to scale with high end components, detail extraction, huge soundstage and perhaps most overlooked - comfort. It'd be worth it to persevere and tame the treble if the aforementioned qualities mean anything to you.

Still, one of the reasons why I primarily use IEMs is because there are far more takes on neutral-ish sigs and at varying price brackets than there are with full sized headphones.

re: headphone cables - does length affect sound quality?

I was thinking of getting a 10ft 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male stereo audio cable, but should I go 6ft if I can help it?

Also, do you guys recommend any specific brand? Right now I'm looking at KabelDirekt on Amazon.

Antiwhippy

It does affect the signal, but not at the lengths you're talking about. Don't worry about it. Just get the cheapest OFC cable you can find.

re: headphone cables - does length affect sound quality?

I was thinking of getting a 10ft 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male stereo audio cable, but should I go 6ft if I can help it?

Also, do you guys recommend any specific brand? Right now I'm looking at KabelDirekt on Amazon.

The longer the cable, the lower voltage (signal) available at the far end (from the source), but as others have said, at that lengths the voltage drop is so ridiculously low, that it doesn't matter.

Usually, I recommend MonoPrice cables cause they are cheap and very well built, this KabelDirekt is unknown for me, but it looks very good too.

Please, never fall for expensive cables. It is probably the biggest scam in audio. Whoever says otherwise is full of crap or victim of placebo effect.

OneUh8

Hi folks. Maybe someone could recommend me a new headset w/mic that works with PS4 and Xbox One.

I had the Sony Gold headset, however they snapped at the hinges and I will not buy those again. For the time being, I have been using the Microsoft Xbox One stereo headset for both consoles. Sound quality is pretty terrible tbh. The Golds were nothing great either, but they sounded better. I do not need wireless, but not opposed to wireless set. Mic is needed as I game with friends quite often.

I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD-595's that I don't use too often anymore. I prefer something with more bass and also these do not have a mic. And yes I love my bass.

I currently use VSONIC VSD3 in ears at work and at home for music listening. But I prefer full sized heaphones to use when gaming.

I have been eyeing the Hyper-X Cloud II headset that goes for $100. I would like to stay around that price if possible. These seem highly regarded. Is there anything I should consider instead of these? Or are these the best I can get for console gaming at the price point?

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

Gritesh

Hi folks. Maybe someone could recommend me a new headset w/mic that works with PS4 and Xbox One.

I had the Sony Gold headset, however they snapped at the hinges and I will not buy those again. For the time being, I have been using the Microsoft Xbox One stereo headset for both consoles. Sound quality is pretty terrible tbh. The Golds were nothing great either, but they sounded better. I do not need wireless, but not opposed to wireless set. Mic is needed as I game with friends quite often.

I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD-595's that I don't use too often anymore. I prefer something with more bass and also these do not have a mic. And yes I love my bass.

I currently use VSONIC VSD3 in ears at work and at home for music listening. But I prefer full sized heaphones to use when gaming.

I have been eyeing the Hyper-X Cloud II headset that goes for $100. I would like to stay around that price if possible. These seem highly regarded. Is there anything I should consider instead of these? Or are these the best I can get for console gaming at the price point?

Thanks for any suggestions! :)

I'm in the same boat as you, don't buy the astro a50s is all I can say, constant buzzing coming out of both earcups after doing some more research on them it's a common issue. I'm returning them to the store today for a refund and continuing my search. I'm thinking about the sennheiser rs175 that are out, I really would like wireless as my kid likes to play with cords and I would like to avoid unplugging and plugging in every time I sit down.

injurai

Banned
A lot. It matters what you want, do you want IEMs or buds? What kind of sound signature you looking for? His much do you want to spend?

Well some IEMS don't stay in my ear that well, so I hopefully get something flanged and not just a rubber plunger. A bassy soundscape would be prefered. $40-80 would probably be my range, at least where I want to start looking. If there are a few standouts I'll hear about those.

mr stroke

just picked up these SONY MDR-XB90EX based off of Headfi's bass head IEM ratings and holly mother of God :eek:

2BNGZmEl.jpg

The bass on these are absolutely punishing(not even amped), never heard bass like that from an IEM before. These IEM's slap harder than all my other over the ear headphones. Incredible

Antiwhippy

The meelectronic m-duo are pretty bassy and comes with double and triple flanged tips. I think it sounded the best with double flanged too, though it has a problem of the nozzle being too small so it comes unstuck in my ear occasionally. Dunno if that's just my unit though.

I would described it as bassy with lifted and treble, with a recessed midrange though they've made it so that the vocals still come out pretty clearly.

HiResDes

Well some IEMS don't stay in my ear that well, so I hopefully get something flanged and not just a rubber plunger. A bassy soundscape would be prefered. $40-80 would probably be my range, at least where I want to start looking. If there are a few standouts I'll hear about those.
I'd recommend the Fisher Audio Consonance as a good bassy phone that comes with several flanged tips.

Bloodember

Does anyone have any experience with high end earbuds? I need no isolation and it seems earbuds would work. I want them when I'm riding my bicycle, walking and other outdoor activities. Been doing some research tonight and found a few I think would work.
Also I want a pair that requires no amp.

Yuin PK2
Ninewave NW-Studio pro
Obiquo UCT-EM905

I listen to primarily female pop artists (English, Japanese & Korean), but also some rock (English & Japanese), metal and country. I mainly want a natural, precise clean sound. A little bass is ok, just not overbearing. Any thoughts on the three above or more suggestions? Budget is no more than $150, would like to stay under $100 though but I would pay more for a great sounding pair. Thanks.
Hah, quoting myself.
I decided to go with a pair of Sennheisser mx685 and a pair of Baldoor e100 for now. I really like the Obiquo UCT-EM905 also so I'll probably get those later.

Mbrill82

For $100 I think these are great, pretty well regarded as well Shure 215

The best SOUNDING IEMs I've tried in that price range are the HifiMan RE-400s but I can't in good conscience recommend anyone buy them with the build quality issues I experienced.

On another note, does anyone have any recommendation on where to sell a couple pairs of headphones? I have very little luck with Craigslist in my city (Indianapolis) and eBay is difficult as a new seller, especially when these are the only items I ever really intend to sell haha. I'm trying to get set up as an Amazon seller but they don't accept my credit card sending me payments for some reason. I'm trying to sell a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 250ohm, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32ohm and a Schiit Magni (v1) amp. Looking to get $120, $140 and $50 respectively. I want to sell this stuff to finance the purchase of Phillips Fidelio x2s haha.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules, I'm not trying to sell this stuff in this thread, just looking for thoughts/advice. Let me know if I should edit the last paragraph out.

Hip Hop

I'd like to own at least three pairs of headphones in different categories. So far, I got the closed covered with the ATH-M50's.

What do you guys think of the AKG K240's? I'm thinking of getting those for a really good deal as a semi-open back.

Will probably move over to the Sennheiser HD598 for the open back later after that, if I see a good price.

Antiwhippy

I kinda don't see the point of having a semi-open vs an opened. In my experience they still leak and doesn't isolate well enough to have any advantages on open models.

Top Bottom