• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Waikis

Rofl marbled headphone amp (and potentially an orpheus successor):

900x900px-LL-15968b52_FullSizeRender_.jpeg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Y'see, the acoustics of marble helps tame the reverberations caused by electronic signals passing through circuits...

HiResDes

I'd like to own at least three pairs of headphones in different categories. So far, I got the closed covered with the ATH-M50's.

What do you guys think of the AKG K240's? I'm thinking of getting those for a really good deal as a semi-open back.

Will probably move over to the Sennheiser HD598 for the open back later after that, if I see a good price.

There's no point in getting a semi-open, especially if the AKG K240's...You're next pair should be something that's a clear upgrade from the M50s.

Hip Hop

There's no point in getting a semi-open, especially if the AKG K240's...You're next pair should be something that's a clear upgrade from the M50s.
I'm not ready to spend crazy amounts of money just yet, would waiting on a HD 598 be good for an open headphone? Would that be a step up?

Hip-Hop music of course, so bass would be nice. I'm honestly quite happy with the ATH-M50s bass now, if that is anything to go by.

Antiwhippy

Welp.

I've reached my high end.

Got the aurisonics asg 2.5.

Can't really speak much about them right now, but I do like them a lot with bass ports quarter way through. Dat bass extension. Also super comfortable.

Also had a chance to audition the angies and he1000. I don't feel like the angies were a significant improvement on the asg 2.5, or at all really, and they are freaking huge. The he1000 were pretty amazing, but I dunno if they are 4.3k great. Didn't have much time to spend on them though, so can't really judge either way.

Also once again I feel like I must be deaf to soundstage because I cannot percieve any noticeable difference in soundstage with any of those phones compared to my humble meelectronic m-duo. Despite them being known for having big soundstages.

terrible

Banned
I'm not ready to spend crazy amounts of money just yet, would waiting on a HD 598 be good for an open headphone? Would that be a step up?

Hip-Hop music of course, so bass would be nice. I'm honestly quite happy with the ATH-M50s bass now, if that is anything to go by.

HD598s are not worth buying if you want something with bass impact. Compared to the M50s they'll be disappointingly light on bass.

Antiwhippy

If you want bass impact trust me.

Get the aurisonic asg 2.5.

Bass impact and extension for days.

Also it's not just the mid bass, the sub bass is sooooo good. It's the kind of sub bass where you feel it in your throat.

HiResDes

Yeah definitely not the 598 either, pretty bass light. If you want an open headphone with some bass check out the HE-400, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, Fidelio X1/X2, or some Fischer FA-011.

When I use my Fidelio X2s with my A/V receiver, I have to crank the volume up to "30" when I usually have it around "8-12" without headphones (coming through speakers).

Does this kind of volume output difference mean I should be using a headphone amp? I'd prefer not to, because I can control the volume of the receiver with a remote, while using a headphone amp would require me to get up from the couch any time I want to adjust the volume.

I'm no audiophile, but hip-hop sounds amazing in the Fidelio X2s. Strong bass that is not overpowering.

Tommy DJ

When I use my Fidelio X2s with my A/V receiver, I have to crank the volume up to "30" when I usually have it around "8-12" without headphones (coming through speakers).

Does this kind of volume output difference mean I should be using a headphone amp? I'd prefer not to, because I can control the volume of the receiver with a remote, while using a headphone amp would require me to get up from the couch any time I want to adjust the volume.

Not necessarily. Receiver headphones outputs will either be a separate opamp solution or through the main power amp + resistors to prevent your headphones from blowing. Both aren't really optimal (multiple gain stages, high output impedance, afterthought implementation, etc) but there's no problem using a receiver for headphones.

The bigger problem is that the X2s have low impedance so they'll probably sound better out of low impedance amplifiers (so headphone amps) - receivers generally have an output impedance of 60+ ohms. No idea about the impedance curve on them but effectively you're going to get a less controlled sound with some emphasis on certain frequencies if you use a receiver.

Hip Hop

I'm no audiophile, but hip-hop sounds amazing in the Fidelio X2s. Strong bass that is not overpowering.

Yeah definitely not the 598 either, pretty bass light. If you want an open headphone with some bass check out the HE-400, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, Fidelio X1/X2, or some Fischer FA-011.

Reading about the Fidelio X1/X2 after suggestions, I will definitely grab one of these for sure. thanks!

andylsun

Going by history, probably around 30k.

Some sennheiser reps are reporting $44k USD, according to people who should know on head-case.

New closed sennheiser was shown as well. Wireless (802.11) but not BT. May be a DLNA client was the guess. No idea if dynamic or ortho/stat.

Here's where Sennheiser will be providing more info over the next few weeks.

There's a newsletter you can sign up for too.

http://www.sennheiser-reshapingexcellence.com/en/press

Not necessarily. Receiver headphones outputs will either be a separate opamp solution or through the main power amp + resistors to prevent your headphones from blowing. Both aren't really optimal (multiple gain stages, high output impedance, afterthought implementation, etc) but there's no problem using a receiver for headphones.

The bigger problem is that the X2s have low impedance so they'll probably sound better out of low impedance amplifiers (so headphone amps) - receivers generally have an output impedance of 60+ ohms. No idea about the impedance curve on them but effectively you're going to get a less controlled sound with some emphasis on certain frequencies if you use a receiver.
Would you suggest any particular amp I should use?

Afro

Need 'phones for total non-audiophile GF. It causes me physical pain to see her listen to music out of her mono android phone speaker/laptop speakers.

I loved the HTF-600's before I got my X1's, but had two pairs break on me. Is there anything similar in the $50-ish range (over-the-head, open or closed)?

HiResDes

Need 'phones for total non-audiophile GF. It causes me physical pain to see her listen to music out of her mono android phone speaker/laptop speakers.

I loved the HTF-600's before I got my X1's, but had two pairs break on me. Is there anything similar in the $50-ish range (over-the-head, open or closed)?
JVC S680s

Fusebox

Banned
Finally got my Bose QC-25s. Probably the most average sounding cans I own until I'm in a noisy environment (plane, train, bus) at which point they leave my other cans fighting with background noise and take a clear lead. Got a long-haul international coming up soon, can't wait now. Wicked comfy too.

Antiwhippy

Gotta say, once again, brain burn in is a scary thing. When I was primarily using it I thought the meelectronic m-duo actually has surprisingly good vocal reproduction, and even thought that the vocals on the asg 2.5 weren't that much of an improvement.

However, switched back to the m-duos after enjoying the 2.5 for a good long while and goddamn why are the vocals so grainy? Why are the drums so hollow? Just goes to show that our brain can fill in a lot of the gaps. I still think the m-duos are pretty damn good for the price but I'm glad I took the step up.

Still loving the 2.5. I guess I'm a bit of a basshead, but I don't like it when the mids and highs get sacrificed for it, which is why I severely disliked the aiaiai tma1 and ultimately sold off my momentum. I never thought I'd hear such bass impact and quality combined with clarity and detail in the mids and highs too. Amazing extension on both ends, and I thought I was a treblehead too but I'm perfectly fine with the more laid back treble on these because the extension is so good. Such a smooth sound too. I used to think a smooth sound mostly involves smearing notes together with slower decay but I've been proven wrong. Great detail and note decay. Could the decay be faster? Could it be more detailed? Probably, but the way it's presented on these sounds perfectly natural and musical to me.

The bass though. From what I've auditioned if you don't want the bass get the rockets or the 1plus, but these are probably the first headphones with high quality bass that I can feel. Like, an actual physical sensation. If you closed the bass ports you still get great quality bass, texture and extension, but opening it up a bit (1/4 for me) bloats it a bit but gives you the slam while still retaining most of its top qualities. I cannot imagine anyone using these at full blast, mostly because I still want to keep my hearing when I'm 40.

Overall, I think I've reached my zenith for awhile. Maybe I'll try out customs, play around with budget iems because I think they are fun or something like the Roxanne if I have enough money to throw away, but the asg 2.5 have satisfied me for a long time. Dunno if I need customs too because the comfort of the 2.5 with spinfits is amazing. Especially coming from the m-duos, whose big booty to house that big second driver makes it too uncomfortable for my small ear canals.

FoxSpirit

Back to my Sony MDR-1A.
The latest revision of the HD-650 has lost for me what made the old ones so special, the lush sound. Sure, it's clear and spacious but bass has no weight and giant drums that should shake the room sound like empty pots.

Maaaaaaan... in return, the MDR-1A still kicks ass. If I could have the same but with more spacial and a bit more detail it would be perfect. And no bass hump, have to EQ them down a bit there.

RS4-

I've got an Asus Xonar DG in my PC, should I bother getting the e7 + e9 combo? I can get it relatively cheap, just wondering if it's worth it.

Or should I just buy it for my bro, he's using a macbook pro, and the m50x.

HiResDes

I've got an Asus Xonar DG in my PC, should I bother getting the e7 + e9 combo? I can get it relatively cheap, just wondering if it's worth it.

No not really. The E7's DAC is not really superior in any fashion to the Xonar. However, if you have really power hungry headphones then the addition of an external amp might be of use to you. Therefore it mainly depends the headphones you have.

Tommy DJ

Rofl marbled headphone amp (and potentially an orpheus successor):

Even better, they're marketing it as the same type of marble that Michelangelo used. Dunno who this thing is appealing to, the original Orpheus amplifier was way better in terms of a conversion starter.

Flagship audiophile stuff like this is generally pretty hilarious because so much of it is either done for the sake of looking expensive or is only expensive at face value. Someone decided to disassemble the HE1000 and its literally using flyscreen mesh cut to size as well as pressed laminated wood you might find from your local flooring store.

Like the last time I remember any premium headphone product actually being "premium" inside and out was the HD800.

Antiwhippy

Final Audio Design does seem to base a lot of their price tag on build quality and materials.

The Sonorous X is so ridiculously heavy.

The HE1000 does sound pretty wonderful though.

Antiwhippy

Nah, only had a chance to demo the X.

I mean, it's OK I guess? Haven't spent that much time with it, so most of my impressions are that it doesn't sound 7K good and it's so ridiculously heavy I can't consider it for portable use, which seemed to be why it's so expensive in the first place.

If I had that much ridiculous cash to spend I would definitely take the HE1000 first.

RS4-

No not really. The E7's DAC is not really superior in any fashion to the Xonar. However, if you have really power hungry headphones then the addition of an external amp might be of use to you. Therefore it mainly depends the headphones you have.

Personally, I'm just using BX5As; I have AD700s but I've used them for maybe 5 hours over the past two years.

So, not really worth it for my brother's MBP + M50x?

HiResDes

Personally, I'm just using BX5As; I have AD700s but I've used them for maybe 5 hours over the past two years.

So, not really worth it for my brother's MBP + M50x?
Not not really, the MBP has a pretty damn good onboard soundcard IIRC, now if he wants to upgrade headphones in the near future then I'd consider it.

Antiwhippy

They do look pretty nice. Surprisingly cheap for a Schiit product too.

Right now the Fiio X3 is serving my DAC needs pretty well. Black background with 0 hiss and the headphone out on my PC adds some serious bass bloat.

LQX

I would not get the E7 but the E9 is great amp for the price. All my headphones, from the cheapest that did not need amping to the ones that did sound amazing on it coupled with the Xonar which has great virtual surround for games and movies.

FoxSpirit

Even better, they're marketing it as the same type of marble that Michelangelo used. Dunno who this thing is appealing to, the original Orpheus amplifier was way better in terms of a conversion starter.

Flagship audiophile stuff like this is generally pretty hilarious because so much of it is either done for the sake of looking expensive or is only expensive at face value. Someone decided to disassemble the HE1000 and its literally using flyscreen mesh cut to size as well as pressed laminated wood you might find from your local flooring store.

Like the last time I remember any premium headphone product actually being "premium" inside and out was the HD800.
http://www.changstar.com/index.php?topic=2735.0

A lot of the Changstar tear downs really do emphasize just how shitty the construction of most headphones are. The Final stuff might not be all that comfy but I'd imagine that they're probably at least solidly built compared to a lot of the TOTL stuff out there.

Antiwhippy

That's just how the market is though. It used to blow my mind that the hd595 and 598 are basically separated by one tiny piece of dampening material that you can easily removed. Can't remember if that one was still true.

Edit: though on further research it might have been the 555 to 595 or the 558 to 598?

That's just how the market is though. It used to blow my mind that the hd595 and 598 are basically separated by one tiny piece of dampening material that you can easily removed. Can't remember if that one was still true.

Edit: though on further research it might have been the 555 to 595 or the 558 to 598?

It was definitely the 555 to 595, can't recall if the 558/598 also has it.

Antiwhippy

Is there a way to safely remove the memory wire ear hook stuff that comes with westone style cables?

I don't feel like they help much and kinda gets in the way of my glasses.

Top Bottom