• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Okay there are far too many dac/amp solutions out there.

These are the current products I'm considering for my Fidelio X2, to be used with a desktop PC and sometimes carried upstairs and plugged into PS4 via optical:

-Schiit Magni 2+Modi 2 Uber ($250)
-Creative Sound Blaster E5/G5 ($200)
-Creative Sound Blaster X7 ($400)
-Aune X1S ($250)
-Leckerton UHA-6S Mk II ($290)

(JDS Labs O2+ODAC does not have optical in)

Anyone have any experience with one or more of these products being used with X2s?

It's supposed to be the best out of all of the op-amps that Leckerton offers. I've got the standard AD8610 and the 1-B. For $10 more, it's not a bad deal just for future proofing I guess.

I don't know anything about the Sound Blaster, but the Leckerton is held in extremely high regard, and has proven longevity against other FOTM amps, so if you're looking to spend that much money in the first place...
Do you know where I could find more information on the different opamps offered? Just curious to see the differences now :p

Does anyone have the Jaybird X2's or other BT models? Want to get some bluetooth headphones given I keep fucking up the ones I buy for running due to how I tuck the cord I imagine, right ear always ends up becoming nearly mute.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
1st impressions of the xduoo x2.

It's so tiny. Awesome.

Why is the screen basically like a mirror? Great if you want to check if you have anything stuck to your teeth, not so much for outdoor readability.

Edit: holy shit at the buttons.

They're so loud and clicky that I feel self conscious using them.

These are the current products I'm considering for my Fidelio X2, to be used with a desktop PC and sometimes carried upstairs and plugged into PS4 via optical:

-Aune X1S ($250)

Anyone have any experience with one or more of these products being used with X2s?

Do you know where I could find more information on the different opamps offered? Just curious to see the differences now :p

I personally liked my X2 with a Modi/Magni 2 Uber stack, but I thought it was a bit overkill. Alas not as many cheaper options that have optical inputs though for gaming purposes.

Aune has been said to pair well with the X2. If your looking at a Schiit stack, also consider the Vali instead of the Magni. It's a hybrid micro tube amp, and tubey sounds pair well with the X2.

If you only need the optical input, I think Schiit makes a cheaper Modi with ONLY optical inputs, or at least they used too.

EDIT: As far as finding further information, I'd recommend visiting head-fi.org. There is probably an impressions thread for each product your considering. If you post there just make sure you outline a price range, as they can get a little too excited with the recommendations haha

HiResDes

-Aune X1S ($250)

You opt to go really cheap and just get like a FiiO D3 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009346RSS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tommy DJ

The problem with Head-Fi is that they always get caught up by the hype despite the fact its nearly always manipulated and manufactured. Which is why the site is really popular with manufacturers because they always get away with posting literal bullshit (goddamn those Audeze dB compressed graphs).

Look at the Audeze EL-8 for the perfect example. The most insane hype train for a mediocre at best product.

The problem with Head-Fi is that they always get caught up by the hype despite the fact its nearly always manipulated and manufactured. Which is why the site is really popular with manufacturers because they always get away with posting literal bullshit (goddamn those Audeze dB compressed graphs).

Look at the Audeze EL-8 for the perfect example. The most insane hype train for a mediocre at best product.

It this your opinion only or can you provide more reviews where people states the same?

I'm curious to read more about this cause I'm planning to buy that model (it will be my first Audeze). So... I'd like to know, if what you say is true, for that amount of money what would be your choice?

Regards.

I personally liked my X2 with a Modi/Magni 2 Uber stack, but I thought it was a bit overkill. Alas not as many cheaper options that have optical inputs though for gaming purposes.

Aune has been said to pair well with the X2. If your looking at a Schiit stack, also consider the Vali instead of the Magni. It's a hybrid micro tube amp, and tubey sounds pair well with the X2.

If you only need the optical input, I think Schiit makes a cheaper Modi with ONLY optical inputs, or at least they used too.

EDIT: As far as finding further information, I'd recommend visiting head-fi.org. There is probably an impressions thread for each product your considering. If you post there just make sure you outline a price range, as they can get a little too excited with the recommendations haha
I have been talking to the guys on Head Fi. There is a ton of information out there!
Just be sure to take everything at head fi with a massive grain of salt.
And yeah, I do.
You opt to go really cheap and just get like a FiiO D3 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009346RSS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
wow! something else to consider.

I'm seeing a lot of this on the Aune X1S preview thread.

So here's where I'm at right now - the Schiit stack is looking like my best bet and there are a ton of positive impressions out there about pairing it with the X2. HOWEVER, I am torn between the Vali and the Magni 2. Headphone Guru has some extremely positive Vali+X2 impressions, but then if you go to a site like Audiobot9000 and pair the two together, it shows a damping factor of 4.6 and warns, "headphones with higher impedances may be a better fit for this amp." I'm also hesitant about the microphonic "ting" noise that occurs when you first plug in the headphones or tap the box. And some users have commented that X2's bass on the Vali sounds "uncontrolled" compared to the Magni 2.

But then you read the Headphone Guru review and they mention the X2's bass sounding "more emphasized, but more rounded and fleshed out. It extends a hint deeper with more body," and the treble "a more fluid, and organic tone to it’s sound, extending to it’s treble presentation. The treble is still quite lively on the X2, but there is an extra hint of smoothness, and less aggressiveness when paired with the Vali," --which is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

gah, this is way harder than choosing the actual headphones...

HiResDes

It won't make that much of difference between the two schiit amps, one will make the already warm X2 a bit warmer, the other will make it sound just slightly more neutral.

It won't make that much of difference between the two schiit amps, one will make the already warm X2 a bit warmer, the other will make it sound just slightly more neutral.

Somewhere I read that warm headphones are better matched with neutral amps, and vice versa...but then I hear the (occasionally) harsh treble on the X2 and it makes me want to pair them with something warm!

Antiwhippy

You also have to remember, sound signature is affected by the headphones but the thing that influences a recording the most is still the way it's mastered and mixed.

There will be sibilance in some recordings. Over compensating for it might make other recordings too lush then.

HiResDes

Pairing a neutral set of headphones with a warm amp or vice versa isn't always best, there really isn't a best in this regard. Pick headphones with your preferred sound signature first, neutral is never a bad choice.

Tommy DJ

It this your opinion only or can you provide more reviews where people states the same?

I'm curious to read more about this cause I'm planning to buy that model (it will be my first Audeze). So... I'd like to know, if what you say is true, for that amount of money what would be your choice?

Regards.

There aren't many (any?) proper reviews on the internet of the Audeze EL-8 that aren't basically paid impressions. If you want to find negative impressions, google "Audeze EL-8 harsh" because that's the key complaint.

If you're going to buy one, I'd buy the open. The closed is absolutely dire where its veiled, claustrophobic, lacking that really good Audeze bass and just sounds harsh in the treble. The open version, being open, is better in this regard but isn't close to being worth $1,000 AUD.

When talking "expensive portable" headphones, I'd take any of the recent Sony's or the Oppo PM3 over them. They sound better and they're cheaper. If I wanted flagship portable gear, I'd ignore headphones and go straight to IEMs. "Portable" headphones right now just aren't good enough to be honest and not even really that portable due to weight, fragility, size and cost. I don't really use a lot of IEMs so can't help you but there's a lot of people in this thread that have a lot of experience with high end IEMs that can help you there.

Refer to Innerfidelity's measurements for the EL-8 open variant. Look at that huge void around 8khz with that distortion. A nasty combination of problems that you can't solve.

There aren't many (any?) proper reviews on the internet of the Audeze EL-8 that aren't basically paid impressions. If you want to find negative impressions, google "Audeze EL-8 harsh" because that's the key complaint.

If you're going to buy one, I'd buy the open. The closed is absolutely dire where its veiled, claustrophobic, lacking that really good Audeze bass and just sounds harsh in the treble. The open version, being open, is better in this regard but isn't close to being worth $1,000 AUD.

When talking "expensive portable" headphones, I'd take any of the recent Sony's or the Oppo PM3 over them. They sound better and they're cheaper. If I wanted flagship portable gear, I'd ignore headphones and go straight to IEMs. "Portable" headphones right now just aren't good enough to be honest and not even really that portable due to weight, fragility, size and cost. I don't really use a lot of IEMs so can't help you but there's a lot of people in this thread that have a lot of experience with high end IEMs that can help you there.

Refer to Innerfidelity's measurements for the EL-8 open variant. Look at that huge void around 8khz with that distortion. A nasty combination of problems that you can't solve.

Thanks. I'll do more research before pulling the trigger.

And no, I don't want anything portable. I already have 4 IEMs for that. I just wanted an Audeze only because I always hear great comments about them, but it's not like I need one.

Currently, I own these ones...

- Audio-Technica ATH-M50.
- Koss Pro4AA.
- Audio-Technica ATH-AD700.
- Denon AHD2000.
- B&W P7.

That's why I asked if you can suggest me something that it's better than the EL-8 at a similar price (or lower). That Oppo looks great, I've forgotten about it, thanks for the heads up :)

Antiwhippy

Alright, here are my preliminary impressions of using the xduoo x2.

Firstly, the cons, and in comparison to the fiio x3, what you're missing by not paying the extra 150:

- super clunky ui. Why do you need to go through another menu just to go to your song files? Also it's probably the best they can do with the small screen and button controls but it takes me forever to scroll through my entire library.

- speaking of buttons, super clicky and loud to the point where I feel self conscious using it in public, also you need to be super deliberate with your presses or it won't register.

- no gapless. This is very nearly a deal breaker for me.

- the way it organises files is sheer insanity. You only sort the files through the date added onto the sd card? What?

- suuuuuuuuper slow fast forwarding. Basically makes it impossible for podcast listeners unless you're the type to listen all in one go (which thankfully I am)

- whose idea is it too give the screen a mirror polish and make it basically impossible to read in sunlight

- super picky about tags. Any player that doesn't let me immediately listen to FNM's angel dust is very close to being on my shitlist.

Now onto why this is worth your $50:

+ super small. I actually didn't realise how much I missed small players like the clips I used to own. Makes it far more usable in a portable context where I'm carrying a large smartphone around too.

+ build feels very good. Not as good as the x3, but there's a solidity to the headphone jack inspires confidence that the clip+ never gave me. Who knows how it'll be in a year, but I'm impressed so far.

+ sound quality is pretty damn good. The only really noticeable thing I can discern in comparison is that it allows some of the sibilance of some tracks through whereas the x3 is good at smoothing it out, but otherwise, pretty damn close. Maybe slightly better separation on the x3, but that might just be my head.

+ drives my aurisonic asg2.5 pretty damn well. Dunno how it'll do with the more sensitive multiple BA iems, but there's no hiss for me.

So far, I'd say it's a pretty quirky player with a lot of caveats but otherwise it's a pretty good parred down dap for your money.

Antiwhippy

I have had a couple of rockboxed clip+s but they died fairly quickly plus I want to try something new. This seems considerably more sturdy than the clip+.

Plus apparently the new model clips aren't as good as the +, not to mention the clip+ going up in price due to being discontinued I think?

Fwiw I did love the clip+ when u had it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Bought myself a Geek Out 1000 for my birthday. I'm long overdue for a DAC that opens up the possibility of purchasing some higher-end headphones.

I'm thinking about the OPPO PM-3 already...

karasu

I have a pair of AKG 702's that I like to use for everything. I'm interested in an relatively inexpensive amp to up the juice a bit. I listen to mostly classical music. Technically baroque music with Beethoven thrown in for good measure. Any suggestions?

HiResDes

I have a pair of AKG 702's that I like to use for everything. I'm interested in an relatively inexpensive amp to up the juice a bit. I listen to mostly classical music. Technically baroque music with Beethoven thrown in for good measure. Any suggestions?
Just get a schiit Fulla.

accx

I'd check out the Ostry KC06, Bette Hybrid, Fidue A65, or Soundmagic E80.

Thanks!
Could you tell me little bit about them that would sway me either way towards a pair? I checked a couple of pages back where you posted pro/con tidbits regarding a few headphones and that would be really helpful for me!
Just so i know what would be the difference regarding the suggestions you posted. I'll read up as well but your input is always invaluable!
Oh, and which one of those would be considered "sturdiest" as far as IEM's go? I'm terrible at keeping my iem last.

I also had this idea that maybe you could help me with?
I was thinking of making a "preferred iems at $50" considering the different soundstages so i could take a look at each.
Bass heavy:
Neutral:
Treble heavy:

Or if anyone else in the thread could chime in.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hi Guys,

I need two new sets of headphones and this looks like a good place to ask for suggestions. The first set would be for my iphone, I recently got the Apple Watch so I don't need the built-in remote from the earpods anymore, is there a good alternative to these for around $60?

The second set is for my PC, and I'm looking for something larger with some decent sound for around $100. This would mostly be for music etc, not for gaming. I would be connecting these to my Yamaha receiver, which is hooked up to my PC via HDMI.

Thanks.

Antiwhippy

You might also want to give the Trinity hyperions a look. Planning on getting one myself. Just $40 USD on amazon and it's very well received. Looks much better built than most of the iems in this price bracket.

Edit: this is to accx

accx

You might also want to give the Trinity hyperions a look. Planning on getting one myself. Just $40 USD on amazon and it's very well received. Looks much better built than most of the iems in this price bracket.

Edit: this is to accx

Thanks! will do. I'm leaning towards Ostry KC06 or Soundmagic E80. I usually go for iem's with detailed treble and looking at head-fi reviews these seem to fit the bill. But i'll check out the Trinitys as well

Edit:
the Trinity Hyperion looks interesting.. but sadly i'm having trouble finding them available in EU.

accx

Hmm, really? They are UK based and sell from their site. Is the UK considered a different market in the eu?

Oh you're absolutely right. I just found them sold out on their site and i kinda need a pair asap since mine are gone. They do have the ones with the remote in stock which is something i actually really want. Thanks!
Will wait 'til HiResDes chimes in on my previous post but i might go with those hyperions.

Are ATH-M50X good for gaming (PC & consoles)? I don't care that much about virtual 7.1 surround, etc.
Or is there something better in that price range? <100 GBP?

HiResDes

Thanks!
Could you tell me little bit about them that would sway me either way towards a pair? I checked a couple of pages back where you posted pro/con tidbits regarding a few headphones and that would be really helpful for me!
Just so i know what would be the difference regarding the suggestions you posted. I'll read up as well but your input is always invaluable!
Oh, and which one of those would be considered "sturdiest" as far as IEM's go? I'm terrible at keeping my iem last.

I also had this idea that maybe you could help me with?
I was thinking of making a "preferred iems at $50" considering the different soundstages so i could take a look at each.
Bass heavy:
Neutral:
Treble heavy:

Or if anyone else in the thread could chime in.

In order of greatest to least, out of the ones I'd recommend checking out:

Durability: Fidue A65, Soundmagic E80, Bette 1+1, Ostry KC06, Fisher Consonance, VSD3
Bassiest: Fischer Consonance, Vsonic VSD3, Bette 1+1, E80, Fidue A65, Ostry KC06
Most Treble: Soundmagic E80, Bette 1+1, VSD3, Ostry KC06,Consonance, A65
Best Midrange: Fidue A65, Ostry KC06, Soundmagic E80, Bette 1+1, Consonance, VSD3
Neutrality: Fidue A65, Bette 1+1, Ostry KC06, Soundmagic E80, Consonance, VSD3
Biggest Soundstage: Fidue A65, Ostry KC06, VSD3, Bette 1+1, Consonance

I don't want you to dissuade from possibly missing out on a tremendous deal, but I'd be just a tad bit weary about the Hyperions considering they're so new, many of the reviews hint at them having really harsh treble peaks but kind of brush it aside like it's not a big deal, and various members posting in the big Hyperion thread not only received a bunch of free demo units but seem to have had direct input in the making of them. Still with the build quality looking so solid they might be worth a try.

I honestly think a lot of HFiers likely have hearing damage which is why they're able to brush off treble peaks/harsh treble with IEMs and especially since IEMs sit in such close proximity to your ear drums. Beyond inducing glare/fatigue, treble peaks just don't sound right most of the time since they introduce artifacts like sibilance to the mix and color the tone of vocals/instruments

Antiwhippy

Eh, I've been through the HD25s. I'll be the judge of the hyperion's harsh treble. :p

I do quite like the more laidback treble of the ASG 2.5 though.

Generally I find treble forward phones to be something that is more pleasant to listen to in low volumes, which is nice for certain situations.

leng jai

Hanging out for the new Beyer T1s. Slightly more warmth and a detachable cable is exactly what I was looking for, and it's good to see they've kept it around the $1k price point. It's absurd how $1000 is relatively cheap now for an audiophile grade headphone - the prices are becoming obscene.

Are ATH-M50X good for gaming (PC & consoles)? I don't care that much about virtual 7.1 surround, etc.
Or is there something better in that price range? <100 GBP?

If it helps, I own the ATH-M50 and they sound damn great. Super pristine sound (they're comfortable too, which is a big plus when gaming).

I don't know if there's something better at that price, maybe HiResDes can give you a recommendation :)

HiResDes

Is that what the MrSpeaker ethers are based on?
No the Ethers are Mr. Speakers first original driver. The rest of Mr. Speakers line is based on the Fostex MK 2. The MK3 features the same driver but essentially the popular DIY mods have been implemented for the masses at a much more reasonable price than say the Alpha Dogs.

Tommy DJ

Thanks. I'll do more research before pulling the trigger.

And no, I don't want anything portable. I already have 4 IEMs for that. I just wanted an Audeze only because I always hear great comments about them, but it's not like I need one.

Currently, I own these ones...

That's why I asked if you can suggest me something that it's better than the EL-8 at a similar price (or lower). That Oppo looks great, I've forgotten about it, thanks for the heads up :)

As stated, Hifiman is a good option if planars are desired. I think they generally provide better products than Audeze at a much lower price. What you lose out on is bass quality but that's about it.

Within a similar price range (around $700 USD lets say), good options include:
- Focal Spirit Pros
- Philips X2
- Sennheiser HD600/650
- Beyerdynamic DT880 250+ohm
- Enigma Paradox/Slant
- Hifiman HE-560 (maybe when they're on special?)
- Hifiman HE-400S
- Oppo PM3.
- Imported Stax 2170 headphone/energizer combo from Japan.
- Koss ESP950 when they go on special on Amazon for $600. Decent combo, comes with energizer and lifetime warranty.

They're all better headphones than the Audeze EL-8 by a mile in my opinion and most are far cheaper as well or come with extras like an amplifier. Heck, I don't think the Audeze EL-8 is better than anything you currently own to be honest, it really isn't good.

To be honest, Audeze headphones are only good for their bass (which the EL-8 doesn't have)...their asking prices are always stupid for headphones that roll off the treble so heavily and suffer from problems that shouldn't be a problem for $2,000 headphones like channel imbalance. The outside presentation is always pretty good but the attention to detail in places that matter is insultingly lacking.

Antiwhippy

No the Ethers are Mr. Speakers first original driver. The rest of Mr. Speakers line is based on the Fostex MK 2. The MK3 features the same driver but essentially the popular DIY mods have been implemented for the masses at a much more reasonable price than say the Alpha Dogs.

Ah, didn't know that he moved on from the fostex drivers.

At stated, Hifiman is a good option if planars are desired. I think they generally provide better products than Audeze at a much lower price. What you lose out on is bass quality but that's about it.

Within a similar price range (around $700 USD lets say), good options include:
- Focal Spirit Pros
- Philips X2
- Sennheiser HD600/650
- Beyerdynamic DT880 250+ohm
- Enigma Paradox/Slant
- Hifiman HE-560 (maybe when they're on special?)
- Hifiman HE-400S
- Oppo PM3.
- Imported Stax 2170 headphone/energizer combo from Japan.
- Koss ESP950 when they go on special on Amazon for $600. Decent combo, comes with energizer and lifetime warranty.

They're all better headphones than the Audeze EL-8 by a mile in my opinion and most are far cheaper as well. I don't think the Audeze EL-8 is better than anything you currently own to be honest, it really isn't good. $700 USD is an outrageous price for a pair of headphones that are pretty bad. To be honest, Audeze headphones are only good for their bass...their asking prices are always stupid for headphones that roll off the treble so heavily and suffer from problems that shouldn't be a problem for $2,000 headphones like channel imbalance. The outside presentation is always pretty good but the attention to detail in places that matter is insultingly lacking.

Thanks for taking the time to answer :)

Top Bottom