• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Tommy DJ

I don't think there is either but if you want it, the option is meant to be there for you. Except in the case of HDTracks' Van Halen discography release, which gives you no such option because HDTracks is going going to release whatever they can get.

This is not uncommon with HDTracks. Beck's Morning Phase (circa 2014) is even more fucked in the case that not only does it exhibit the same brickwall at ~22khz, some tracks are sampled from some lossy format or some bullshit because they have no information past 15khz. Like, you're better downloading mp3s from iTunes or Amazon because they might actually be higher fidelity than HDTracks.

Bloodember

I've never bought anything from hdtracks either. I only buy physical CD's then rip them to .flac.

I've never heard anything about hdtracks using lossy versions to convert though, or any of the other things that is being said here about them though.

HiResDes

I'm in the market for new quality headphones for work, currently I listen to metal music at high volume and I absolutely need that no sound is leaked to the outside since the office is very quiet and I don't want to disturb the people near me with my music.

What do you recommend guys? I'm looking to spend max 200$ but if there's a more expensive better alternative I would like to know about it as well :)

To resume, high quality headphones/earphones that leak as less sound as possible, thanks!

Edit: Not sure if it's relevant but I work in a Macbook Pro
Can you deal with on ear, http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?i...yY_nhddV2Y_OjlDstnJx4aAiyP8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Argh, had a fault with the right pin connector on my asg2.5. I don't seem to be having much luck with this iem. Luckily I just went to the local store and handled the delivery for repairs there.

Also took the chance to audition the jh laylas and my feeling on them are incredibly meh. I feel like the law of diminishing returns apply to these pretty hard. Soundstage is beaten by my flat 4 nami easily, about the same as the 2.5 really, bass is punchy but it doesn't reach the visceral nature of my 2.5, and details wise it isn't as micro detailed as the nami. Good tonal balance, and I do like it's thicker presentation more than the nami, but damn son their price tag is ridiculous.

What are my best options for IEMs and headphones that give exceptional isolation please? I do not mean noise cancelling 'phones as such as they are best at blocking out constant noise e.g. airplane engines, if I understand them correctly. I seek a pair that provides very good isolation to sporadic environmental noise e.g. a dog barking outside, etc. I have some white noise type sound files that I listen to when the need arises but none of my current 'phones give me as much isolation as I would like. Price range, ideally no more than £200 and sound profile, neutral-ish preferably but both of these aspects would be subservient to the matter of isolation in my deliberations.

Also, I am keen to upgrade my current MP3 player partly because the headphone port is plagued by intermittent output unless the jack is in precisely the right spot. All of my iPods and MP3 players over the years have always come to this and it has become very tiresome! I believe it is the result of the manufacturer using a cheap part so wish to upgrade to an MP3 player that does not have this issue. I am very keen on the Fiio X3 ii but am prepared to be swayed by a different product that does not have this issue, if indeed the X3 ii does. I understand the U.I. is not the best but that is the case for my current MP3 player too so I can suffer that.

As always, guidance from audiophiles more knowledgeable than myself would be much appreciated.

Antiwhippy

For that price range check out the shure iem range as they are known for exceptional isolation. Most probably look at the se215.

Also the headphone jack of the fiio x3 II feels incredibly solid and durable but I have not used it long enough to test long term durability yet. I think the ui is fine. Slightly more cumbersome than the iPod from what I can remember but still pretty easy to get around. Though there are reports of the scroll wheel misbehaving so there is that to look out for. Mine has been behaving perfectly normal though.

HiResDes

I'm not quite sure since I don't know how they feel but I'll look into it tomorrow, thanks!
The AKG K553 might also be a good option if you want something that covers the entire ear. I also really really like the KEF M500 for their portability, efficiency, balanced sound, and comfort but they don't isolate too well even though the leakage is minimal.

Hm, I'm not keen on Shure if I'm honest. I had a pair before that crapped out on me a couple of days out of their 1 year warranty so that has left a bad taste in my mouth where that brand is concerned. I could go above £200 if necessary. Some circumaural options would be appreciated too.

Good to hear about the Fiio; thanks for the input.

For that price range check out the shure iem range as they are known for exceptional isolation. Most probably look at the se215.

Also the headphone jack of the fiio x3 II feels incredibly solid and durable but I have not used it long enough to test long term durability yet. I think the ui is fine. Slightly more cumbersome than the iPod from what I can remember but still pretty easy to get around. Though there are reports of the scroll wheel misbehaving so there is that to look out for. Mine has been behaving perfectly normal though.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, then maybe look at the etymotic hf5 and aurisonic rockets. No experience with the etymotic except that they are known for high isolation and the er4p is renown for its neutrality and accuracy. The aurisonic sounds great but didn't have enough extension on both highs and lows for my taste, but that in turn makes their mids really good.

I think they might be slightly out of your price range. Dunno though, seeing that my prices are in aud. The aurisonic has a 5 year warranty though if that matters to you.

Also someone here has a problem with headphone jack of the rockets not going fully into a fiio dap, so there's that to consider.

HiResDes

Hey HiResDes, still enjoying the Rockets? I might be buying a pair to replace the Tenores.
Yeah I definitely like them more with the Spinfits, some of the best vocals I've ever heard out of an IEM even though I still don't think they have quite enough sub bass impact to make every hip hop track sound convincing the bass that's there is great quality and the midbass is pretty much perfect in quantity to my ears. If you listen to a lot of dynamic music I think you might enjoy the Ostry KC06a and be able to save a bunch of money, but I gotta say I exercise and put my Rockets through hell and they look and function perfect.

HiResDes

Hm, I'm not keen on Shure if I'm honest. I had a pair before that crapped out on me a couple of days out of their 1 year warranty so that has left a bad taste in my mouth where that brand is concerned. I could go above £200 if necessary. Some circumaural options would be appreciated too.

Good to hear about the Fiio; thanks for the input.
I'd also consider the Yamaha EP-100, which sound incredible and have great isolation although getting a proper seal can take some time. Vsonic GR01 would also be a great choice, but might be a bit out of your budget.

Much appreciated gents; I shall investigate all four of those and bear in mind your comments.

*tips hat to you both*

Hmm, then maybe look at the etymotic hf5 and aurisonic rockets. No experience with the etymotic except that they are known for high isolation and the er4p is renown for its neutrality and accuracy. The aurisonic sounds great but didn't have enough extension on both highs and lows for my taste, but that in turn makes their mids really good.

I think they might be slightly out of your price range. Dunno though, seeing that my prices are in aud. The aurisonic has a 5 year warranty though if that matters to you.

Also someone here has a problem with headphone jack of the rockets not going fully into a fiio dap, so there's that to consider.

I'd also consider the Yamaha EP-100, which sound incredible and have great isolation although getting a proper seal can take some time. Vsonic GR01 would also be a great choice, but might be a bit out of your budget.

Antiwhippy

Oh hey, minidisc are carrying the universal 1964 adel models now. They're so goddamn expensive too. Kinda want to give them a spin though if I ever go to sydney again.

It's kinda interesting to see how the custom in ear market is spread around in australia. Addicted to audio got UE, Noble, Westone and JH audio, jaben has fitear and cleartune, and minidisc got 1964 ears.

manfestival

im getting replacement earpads for my dt990s since my stock velours got wet and turned absolutely disgusting as a result of them getting wet.

Can anyone vouch for the quality of the cheapo replacements on amazon? I figured I'd pick up the 5 dollar and the 10 dollar ones because even getting both its still less than half of the OEM

X-Frame

Hi everyone, I need advice ..

I have the HD598's but I wasn't thrilled with them. They don't seem to have enough "oomph" (scientific term) for me for when I listen to metal, electronic, and rock genres.

I have the FiiO E10K for my 2010 MBP, if that makes any difference.

I just want to get a pair of headphones that'll keep up with the faster, more powerful music I listen to (which sound great on my V-Sonic GR07 Classics as an earphone reference), but that are also high in clarity. Neutral sounding I guess? I want to be able to hear every symbol, for example.

I'm willing to spend around $500, not including any more powerful amp or DAC if needed. I just want to be done with the search for a budget pair that'll meet my needs, when I feel I just need to spend more.

What is my best bet? Any of the Sennheiser 600 series? The Hifiman 400i?

Thank you so much everyone!

HiResDes

You don't want something neutral, the HD 598s are exceedingly neutral, neutral can be quite boring. You want something V-Shaped probably that still retains clarity. That's quite different. You want open headphones I take it?

I'd look into the HE-400S, Beyerdynamic DT880, or Sennheiser HD 650. The 400i would be a great choice as well, but it's not a good value when you can get an open-box 400s for $249. I'd probably the favor the 400s honestly as they're fairly efficient and should sound relatively good out of the FiiO while giving you just a bit more oomph in the bass and treble department in comparison the 598.

X-Frame

You don't want something neutral, the HD 598s are exceedingly neutral, neutral can be quite boring. You want something V-Shaped probably that still retains clarity. That's quite different. You want open headphones I take it?

I'd look into the HE-400S, Beyerdynamic DT880, or Sennheiser HD 650. The 400i would be a great choice as well, but it's not a good value when you can get an open-box 400s for $249. I'd probably the favor the 400s honestly as they're fairly efficient and should sound relatively good out of the FiiO while giving you just a bit more oomph in the bass and treble department in comparison the 598.

Interesting, thank you!

I don't have a problem with getting a more powerful amp/DAC so I don't want my current FiiO to hold me back though.

And yeah I suppose I don't want neutral. The GR07 Classic's are V-Shaped too then? Then yeah, I want that plus with clarity like you said.

Those 400S's definitely seem like a great deal but if there is better cans for $100 more or so I'm fine with getting them honestly. It seems like the diminishing returns after around $500 are the highest (correct me if I'm wrong).

And the HD650's are over 10 years old correct? That's impressive that there are so many good headphones that have been out for a long time.

HiResDes

There isn't going to be anything really definitely better unless you go up to something like the Stax SRS-2170, which is a great value considering it includes both the headphones and amping system.

The GR07 is more U-Shaped. It has a slight mid-bass boost and I think the upper-mids (if that makes sense) are quite boosted, but the treble is slightly rounded off in some areas and spiky in others.

Yeah I definitely like them more with the Spinfits, some of the best vocals I've ever heard out of an IEM even though I still don't think they have quite enough sub bass impact to make every hip hop track sound convincing the bass that's there is great quality and the midbass is pretty much perfect in quantity to my ears. If you listen to a lot of dynamic music I think you might enjoy the Ostry KC06a and be able to save a bunch of money, but I gotta say I exercise and put my Rockets through hell and they look and function perfect.

I mainly listen to IEMs for gym use, so the fact that it can take punishment is a major plus. I love the Tenores, but I need something much more durable when I'm lifting or running. I keep accidentally pulling on the cable.
emot-ohdear.png

Tommy DJ

Interesting, thank you!

I don't have a problem with getting a more powerful amp/DAC so I don't want my current FiiO to hold me back though.

And yeah I suppose I don't want neutral. The GR07 Classic's are V-Shaped too then? Then yeah, I want that plus with clarity like you said.

Those 400S's definitely seem like a great deal but if there is better cans for $100 more or so I'm fine with getting them honestly. It seems like the diminishing returns after around $500 are the highest (correct me if I'm wrong).

And the HD650's are over 10 years old correct? That's impressive that there are so many good headphones that have been out for a long time.

The fundamentals of transducers are well known so the age is irrelevant. Sennheiser's HD600 & HD650s might be showing their age but, unlike the majority of headphone manufacturers, they weren't screwing around and actually putting money in the important things (driver quality and matching, measuring the impact of materials and positioning of materials on impact of sound).

You get diminishing returns past $300/$400 with regards to over-ear/on-ear headphones because headphones are consistently under-engineered. HiResDes is pretty right in his suggestions: the only headphones worth anything past $500 include:
- Stax SRS-2170 imported from Japan
- Koss ESP950 when on special for $600
- Modded Sennheiser HD800 and even then the sound signature is wonky
- Good Audeze LCD-2 sample

That's pretty much all I can think that are worth their $$$. All other headphones either have fundamental problems related to build quality, consistency, sound signature, comfort, engineering, and price. Seriously, a pair of JBL LSR305s active monitor speakers ($250-$400) are better than just about any headphone on the market IMHO.

Antiwhippy

Wow, shure just introduced a 3k USD electrostat iem.

I at least applaud them for actually using new technology instead of trying to shove as many Knowles BA into a shell as they can.

Antiwhippy

Also don't electrostats require ALOT of voltage?

Not sure if I'm comfortable with that much voltage in my ear.

Definitely interesting though. Hopefully it trickles down to less expensive in ear stats.

leng jai

Delicate and super expensive...doesn't sound like a good combo for something that's meant to be portable and potentially stuffed in a pocket/bag.

andylsun

Wow that's insane.

There's a big thread already on head-fi. Shure KSE1500 is the model number.

Going to be interesting how they hold up over time, got to be fragile.

Edit: so the rumour that STAX were coming out with a new portable were actually Shure? STAX only work on one product at a time so the L700 was probably taking that spot.

X-Frame

There isn't going to be anything really definitely better unless you go up to something like the Stax SRS-2170, which is a great value considering it includes both the headphones and amping system.

The GR07 is more U-Shaped. It has a slight mid-bass boost and I think the upper-mids (if that makes sense) are quite boosted, but the treble is slightly rounded off in some areas and spiky in others.

Thank you!

What about the HE-500? I've gotten several recommendations for them as well. What is it about the Planar Magnetic headphones that go well for the fast and punch metal/electronic music I prefer? You recommend the 400S, the 400i if I'm willing to spend the extra money and also the 500 from others.

I've seen them compared to the DT880's and besting them in a lot of areas for those types of music. The only noticeably downsides to the Hifiman stuff seems to be build quality from what I'm reading, which I'm not crazy about obviously.

The fundamentals of transducers are well known so the age is irrelevant. Sennheiser's HD600 & HD650s might be showing their age but, unlike the majority of headphone manufacturers, they weren't screwing around and actually putting money in the important things (driver quality and matching, measuring the impact of materials and positioning of materials on impact of sound).

You get diminishing returns past $300/$400 with regards to over-ear/on-ear headphones because headphones are consistently under-engineered. HiResDes is pretty right in his suggestions: the only headphones worth anything past $500 include:
- Stax SRS-2170 imported from Japan
- Koss ESP950 when on special for $600
- Modded Sennheiser HD800 and even then the sound signature is wonky
- Good Audeze LCD-2 sample

That's pretty much all I can think that are worth their $$$. All other headphones either have fundamental problems related to build quality, consistency, sound signature, comfort, engineering, and price. Seriously, a pair of JBL LSR305s active monitor speakers ($250-$400) are better than just about any headphone on the market IMHO.

Thanks as well! Hey, if I can get great headphones for less than I am willing to spend then that is great! I just remember a lot of good headphones being at the upper 400 range years ago which is why I said $500.

HiResDes

Thank you!

What about the HE-500? I've gotten several recommendations for them as well. What is it about the Planar Magnetic headphones that go well for the fast and punch metal/electronic music I prefer? You recommend the 400S, the 400i if I'm willing to spend the extra money and also the 500 from others.

I've seen them compared to the DT880's and besting them in a lot of areas for those types of music. The only noticeably downsides to the Hifiman stuff seems to be build quality from what I'm reading, which I'm not crazy about obviously.

Thanks as well! Hey, if I can get great headphones for less than I am willing to spend then that is great! I just remember a lot of good headphones being at the upper 400 range years ago which is why I said $500.

I actually wouldn't recommend the HE-500 if you want something a bit more exciting with more oomph as there one of the most neutral offerings out of Hifiman's lineup and I think the cheaper iterations actually sound better with electronic music specifically.

andylsun

Thank you!

not sure the STAX would have the excitement that you are looking for. Planar Magnetic sounds like they may have the fun factor you are looking for.

X-Frame

I actually wouldn't recommend the HE-500 if you want something a bit more exciting with more oomph as there one of the most neutral offerings out of Hifiman's lineup and I think the cheaper iterations actually sound better with electronic music specifically.

I actually thought the HE-500's were under $500, but that is only used. They're apparently $800+ new, yikes - way too much.

not sure the STAX would have the excitement that you are looking for. Planar Magnetic sounds like they may have the fun factor you are looking for.

Yeah, I'm getting the same feeling. Thanks!

andylsun

While not strictly headphones, but more source related. This happened.

New source and I can finally play my three SACD's I own with a DSD based SACD player.

to make it more relevant, sounds cracking through the STAX.

3AQyvZRl.jpg

sK80IxUl.jpg

Tommy DJ

Sennheiser just quietly announced the Sennheiser HD800S, a HD800 with a black paint job, both balanced 4 pin XLR and standard TRS jack cables, and an acoustic absorber to eliminate peaks. Which sounds like the foam, rug liner, and felt mods everyone has been doing for years to push down that nasty 6khz peak.

No idea what the price will be but $10 it'll still be the cheapest "flagship" headphone on the market.

HiResDes

I still think I'd greatly prefer the HE-560 to the HD800s in that price range, but I guess that's just my personal sound preference.

Antiwhippy

Went to have a listen to the shure se846 today. Aren't these regarded as bass monsters? Bass detail, extension and definition is pretty nice but impact and body feels lacking. Not really for me. Mids do feel grainy and thin, and in a way I vastly prefer the ath im70 I had a listen to too. Flabby bass and definitely loses out in clarity compared to the se846 but the lushness makes the vocals really sing.

Also did not expect this, especially with my hate for stacks, but I really couldn't resist after a thorough AB testing between my Fiio X3II, especially seeing I'm now somewhat irritated at the Fiio's UI and performance with a much larger library since I've gotten a 128gb card. It's not deal breaking but the interface with poweramp on android is still much better. Plus the price seemed right to me and the form factor makes stacking a lot more tolerable.

Like I personally don't think the X3 is a massive improvement from my phone. This I feel is a much bigger improvement over both. Probably not to the extent where I find it necessary and I still feel that both the X3 and my phone are perfectly capable players, but that's just how this hobby goes. Immediately to me there's much better separation between instruments and the different frequencies, faster decay and better definition in the dynamic range, which basically means quiet things sounds quieter and loud things sound louder. Upper midrange and treble seems to be better defined and brought forward too, though not the point where the treble becomes too glaring.

All of which gives the impression of better clarity and soundstage. At the price of some smoothness and lushness in the sound. Some people might prefer the smoother sound of the X3 and your basic smartphone.

Need to get some velcro stickers because rubber bands on a smartphone stack = nuh uh.

jb1234

Howdy, folks. My recent pair of headphones completely fell apart the other day. I'm not too broken up over this as they were cheap but I'm looking to get a new pair that's a definite upgrade, $200 is the limit. I primarily listen to classical and orchestral music so I don't want too much bass and just an overall balanced sound. Any help would be appreciated.

HiResDes

Howdy, folks. My recent pair of headphones completely fell apart the other day. I'm not too broken up over this as they were cheap but I'm looking to get a new pair that's a definite upgrade, $200 is the limit. I primarily listen to classical and orchestral music so I don't want too much bass and just an overall balanced sound. Any help would be appreciated.

Open or closed? Are you going to be amping them?

jb1234

Open or closed? Are you going to be amping them?

I'll probably mostly hook them up to my receiver, both for listening to music and for playing games. No preference as far as open or closed goes. Sound bleeding isn't an issue as I'll always be by myself.

HiResDes

Yeah, open seems good to me too. Any particular reason the Takstar is $100 cheaper than the rest of these?
They're like an inferior version of the DT880 that offer a similar sound signature and comfort that's almost as great too, but they're made by an unknown OEM manufacturer and although they're open they most definitely don't have as wide of a soundstage as any of the other open ones I recommended. Clarity is great but also just a slight step down from the AKG and Beyerdynamic. I recommended them because they're such a good value and will sound great with the genres you like especially if you ever decide to buy a dedicated amp for them.

jb1234

They're like an inferior version of the DT880 that offer a similar sound signature and comfort that's almost as great too, but they're made by an unknown OEM manufacturer and although they're open they most definitely don't have as wide of a soundstage as any of the other open ones I recommended. Clarity is great but also just a slight step down from the AKG and Beyerdynamic. I recommended them because they're such a good value and will sound great with the genres you like especially if you ever decide to buy a dedicated amp for them.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the advice. :)

Antiwhippy

Hmm, this has been puzzling me now actually. Now, both the x3II and the oppo ha-2 should be flat from 20hz to 20kHz. Yet, the oppo is perceived as brighter to me, while the x3II is warmer. Is it just from the faster transients of the oppo ha-2?

andylsun

Hmm, this has been puzzling me now actually. Now, both the x3II and the oppo ha-2 should be flat from 20hz to 20kHz. Yet, the oppo is perceived as brighter to me, while the x3II is warmer. Is it just from the faster transients of the oppo ha-2?

I guess they are both flat into a fixed impedance load (pure resistive), but headphones are rarely fixed impedance at different frequencies. Perhaps the Fiio and Oppo respond differently to changes in impedance with frequency. Do they both have the same output impedance?

Antiwhippy

Fiio X3II

Output Power 1 >224 mW (16 Ω/THD+N<1%)
Output Power 2 >200 mW (32 Ω/THD+N<1%)
Output Power 3 >24 mW (300 Ω/THD+N<1%)
Output Impedance <0.2 Ω(32Ω)

Oppo HA-2

Maximum Headphone Output Power 300 mW into 16 Ohm
220 mW into 32 Ohm
30 mW into 300 Ohm
Headphone Amplifier Output Impedance 0.5 Ohm

So if my understanding is correct (and I'm still a novice when it come to this) the Oppo HA-2 provides more voltage at those specific resistances?

Top Bottom