• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

andylsun

First comments on the STAX SR-L700. Sounds like a winner...

Also staxusa appear to be resetting their prices to make them more inline with the rest of the world. PriceJapan may not be the bargain it once was.

http://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/786-the-headcase-stax-thread/?page=414

So, I got a chance to check out the L-700 last week end while at the local audio festival in Tokyo.

I did not expect much really (I almost missed the show altogether but made the effort to go even if just to say to various friends). I was proved so wrong... Driven from Stax amp, the SR009 was almost put to shame by the new lambda. Their really listened, the voicing is much improved, full bodied yet very open and extended, bass is clean but present in the right amount.

At 1/3 the price of the SR009 and cheaper than SR007, being apparently very easy to drive (it's still a lamdba after all), it's a no brainer.

I predict Stax is going to make some noise with this one (haven't tried the L-500).

Otherwise, I confirmed with Stax the driver is angled, just a bit (a few degrees) but enough to bring the soundstage a bit in front.

I did not spend enough time to be able to even trust my own impressions, but it was enough to get me seriously interested in a proper evaluation / possibly starting to save up.

My BHSE is dead atm anyhow so something that sounds better than the 009 through stax amps is a welcome news to me, especially if it's also relatively affordable!

Cheers,

Arnaud

Hmm, this has been puzzling me now actually. Now, both the x3II and the oppo ha-2 should be flat from 20hz to 20kHz. Yet, the oppo is perceived as brighter to me, while the x3II is warmer. Is it just from the faster transients of the oppo ha-2?

That would be the Sabre glare. All Sabre devices have it to some extent save for the Calyx M which sounds strangely like a Wolfson/Burr Brown DAC, and apparently the Geek Out v2. Haven't heard the V2 but I'm getting one in later today.

Very very nice in regard to the new Lambda. Will have to look into that

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If you actually do just want to use it with your iphone the hd650 is a pretty bad choice if you want it for portable use. The iphone isn't going to drive it to its full potential and it's open so it's not meant for portable use.

You can get some seriously good sound from iems from under $100 easily. Just depends on what kind of sound you're looking for and the level of build quality.

That would be the Sabre glare. All Sabre devices have it to some extent save for the Calyx M which sounds strangely like a Wolfson/Burr Brown DAC, and apparently the Geek Out v2. Haven't heard the V2 but I'm getting one in later today.

Very very nice in regard to the new Lambda. Will have to look into that

I know about the glare. More curious as to why it happens on stuff that measures ruler flat.

If you actually do just want to use it with your iphone the hd650 is a pretty bad choice if you want it for portable use. The iphone isn't going to drive it to its full potential and it's open so it's not meant for portable use.

You can get some seriously good sound from iems from under $100 easily. Just depends on what kind of sound you're looking for and the level of build quality.

I know about the glare. More curious as to why it happens on stuff that measures ruler flat.

What are the favorites IEM?

What's the hard budget, what kinda stuff are you going to be listening to?

I want to say no more than $235, the price I that I gladly paid for Senn HD650. I'm listening to a variety of music, The Beatles, Taylor Swift, Above and Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Yo-yo Ma(really like this cellist), Rush, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, Nujabes, Led Zeppelin, Kendrick Lamar. Did I mention that I really like Yo-yo Ma? I wonder if there are other musicians like him.

I want to say no more than $235, the price I that I gladly paid for Senn HD650. I'm listening to a variety of music, The Beatles, Taylor Swift, Above and Beyond, Armin Van Buuren, Yo-yo Ma(really like this cellist), Rush, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, Nujabes, Led Zeppelin, Kendrick Lamar. Did I mention that I really like Yo-yo Ma? I wonder if there are other musicians like him.

If you're a big tone guy just snatch a pair of JVC FX850 then modify it if you're into classical.

HiResDes

If you can handle some sibilance and a treble spike the Dunu DN1000 sound great with electronic music, though I'd definitely prefer the smoothness of the JVC if you can find them in your range. Audio Technica CRK9 would also be a solid choice IMO.

I'm looking into

Custom Art Music One, 1964EARS 1964-V3, Auclair Reference, Sony MDR-EX1000, Clear Tune Monitors CTM-200, Westone UM3X, Alclair Reference, InEar StageDiver 2, Sennheiser IE80, Custom Art Music One and Shure SE535

I'm especially interested in Shure SE535, I hope there's a price drop soon or a sale.

Okay. I am seriously, seriously impressed by the GoV2. Like seriously. It's easily better than any of the kilobuck DAPs I've tossed around. It's easily better than any of the portable amps I've tossed about including the Leck Mk II, ALO RX, ALO Mk III, Vorzuge Pure II etc. etc.

It's incredibly detailed, spacious and airy, natural sounding, and has real fuckin finesse to note articulation. Treble is exceptionally smooth with none of the digititus of the Sabre sheen. It's easily, very noticeably better than the Go 450. This has pretty much singlehandedly rekindled my interest in sources. I'm gonna have to cop me a Schiit Gumby one day just to see what life's like in the upper echelon.

I honestly do not recommend springing for the Pro at all. I've had both. No difference in SQ to my ears. You can mod both R2s to sound absolutely top shelf. The modded R2A is my favorite phone of all time. In terms of value, it honestly takes a massive steaming dump on 99% of all phones out there. I honestly don't listen to anything else these days other than my modded R2A. Hell, I just sold the Angie the other day. Don't miss it one bit.

The modded R2 and GoV2 make for an incredible sounding rig.

Antiwhippy

Reports of the wire dying has me pretty skittish though. Which it's pretty easy to see where the fault lies. Seems like a massive design oversight.

Tommy DJ

Okay. I am seriously, seriously impressed by the GoV2. Like seriously. It's easily better than any of the kilobuck DAPs I've tossed around. It's easily better than any of the portable amps I've tossed about including the Leck Mk II, ALO RX, ALO Mk III, Vorzuge Pure II etc. etc.

It's incredibly detailed, spacious and airy, natural sounding, and has real fuckin finesse to note articulation. Treble is exceptionally smooth with none of the digititus of the Sabre sheen. It's easily, very noticeably better than the Go 450. This has pretty much singlehandedly rekindled my interest in sources. I'm gonna have to cop me a Schiit Gumby one day just to see what life's like in the upper echelon.

That's what I was talking about earlier in this thread. Yeah Light Harmonic are pretty shit and seedy but the Geek Out series of products are actually good. Like why even bother with any other audiophile portable amp/DAC on the market when something like this exists?

I don't give a shit about DACs since I think that plonking $$$ on everything else is worth more of your cash but the DAC supports every format under the sun for a pretty low price. But the amp section is real winner here where it's legitimately awesome, can power just about anything adequately and even supports balanced outputs for that crosstalk reduction. It's one of those rare audio products that is full featured, isn't shit and isn't all that expensive.

That's what I was talking about earlier in this thread. Yeah Light Harmonic are pretty shit and seedy but the Geek Out series of products are actually good. Like why even bother with any other audiophile portable amp/DAC on the market when something like this exists?

I don't give a shit about DACs since I think that plonking $$$ on everything else is worth more of your cash but the DAC supports every format under the sun for a pretty low price. But the amp section is real winner here where it's legitimately awesome, can power just about anything adequately and even supports balanced outputs for that crosstalk reduction. It's one of those rare audio products that is full featured, isn't shit and isn't all that expensive.

Totally agreed. This thing takes a massive dump on the Chords, and Astell and Kerns of the world. I honestly feel like the aforementioned are making chumps of consumers. It's just too bad about the utterly shitty build quality of the V2. I hear that the V2+ are gonna be reworked with aluminum in the chassis, so I'm hoping those are made to last at least. They really, really should have just stuck with the aluminum of the Go V1. That thing is a damn tank.

So would something like the GO v2+ be considered an upgrade to the oppo ha2?

I'm not sure that the HA-2 is even as good as the Go 450, let alone the v2. The pirates who've heard the Go V2 don't even bother comparing it to portable gear. It shoots straight past Bifrost Uber and has more in common with the Gungnir if anything. It's just an exceptional sounding piece of gear for a very fair price, shitty build quality aside.

Antiwhippy

Huh, alright, definitely interested now if they can sort out their build quality issues and compare it to the ha-2. Been thinking about having an all in one solution lately. OTG for the phone as well as capable of being used as a desktop rig.

Would it be usable as a USB DAC for the ps4?

Is anyone a fan of RHA MA750?

It's an IEM headphone that I'm looking at.

It seems to be in the same price range as Shure 215 and VSONIC GR07 Bass

HiResDes

Is anyone a fan of RHA MA750?

It's an IEM headphone that I'm looking at.

It seems to be in the same price range as Shure 215 and VSONIC GR07 Bass
Great build quality but kind of dark and doesn't have the detail retrieval of anything that's been recommended to you. And the Shure SE215 is pretty much in the same class but v shaped. Aren't you the guy that was naming like $400 dollar stuff just a second ago.

Great build quality but kind of dark and doesn't have the detail retrieval of anything that's been recommended to you. And the Shure SE215 is pretty much in the same class but v shaped. Aren't you the guy that was naming like $400 dollar stuff just a second ago.

Yeah, I'm very indecisive. I'm not sure if I want IEM headphones if they are considerably worse than my HD 650 in terms of sound quality.

I don't have any knowledge when it comes to IEM, like what companies are good. If I'm going for a higher budget, then I'm eyeing on the Westone UM Pro30. It's an updated model of Westone UM3X, which is recommended by Head-fi.

HiResDes

It's not about brand loyalty or even spending the most amount of money with IEMs in my opinion. They consistently offer a much better value at the $150 to $300 range than headphones across the board.

I think you'd be happy with the JVC FX850s, Flare R2A, Dunu DN-1000 (with some treble reduction EQing), Fidue A73, VSonic GR07 Bass Edition, or Ortofon e-Q5

robox

what about earphones for $50 bucks? listen almost exclusively electronic and hiphop.
already got xiaomi pistons incoming, but as i found out in the last couple months, losing 2 sets of headphones can happen...

headphones need some sorta hex graph for detailing their various status and affinities..

Good News: I found my Apple EarPods!
Bad News: I found it in my pants after it has been machine washed. Sounds a lot less clearer. :(

Don't fail me Westone UM Pro 3 or better alternatives.

Linius

Bad News: I found it in my pants after it has been machine washed. Sounds a lot less clearer. :(

Losing your Apple earbuds forcing you to buy something decent should be one of the best things in life. Don't be sad about them m8

HiResDes

I honestly wouldn't spend more than a hundred on in ear monitors considering you're used to earbuds and might find them to be uncomfortable or simply might find the sound to be off putting even though I personally think they are a better value than full sized headphones. It just seems silly to jump into the game like that when you might not even be able to tell the difference between a Westone 3 and RE400.

Antiwhippy

Shure kse1500 pricing is out for Australia.

$5299.

Haha Jesus. Even accounting gst they just tacked on an extra $500.

HiResDes

Any place to get the Fischer Audio Consonance in Canada? Will amazon.com ship them here, or would the price increase from the import and exchange be more than they're worth?

Edit: Nevermind tried checkout, doesn't work, guess I'll keep looking.
Try the Vsonic VSD3 or Zero Audio Carbo Basso instead then.

Arzehn

Try the Vsonic VSD3 or Zero Audio Carbo Basso instead then.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the VSD3 form factor and the cable over the ear in general. Basso seems simple enough. Looks like it comes from Japan (Amazon), so might be a longer wait. What's the difference between Basso and Tenore (barely more expensive)? If comparable I might get the Tenore for the smaller form factor, unless Basso is just better. Will probably stick with one of those unless I see something else I like in the next day or 2. thks~

HiResDes

Not sure if I'm a fan of the VSD3 form factor and the cable over the ear in general. Basso seems simple enough. Looks like it comes from Japan (Amazon), so might be a longer wait. What's the difference between Basso and Tenore (barely more expensive)? If comparable I might get the Tenore for the smaller form factor, unless Basso is just better. Will probably stick with one of those unless I see something else I like in the next day or 2. thks~

I think you mentioned you were mainly listening to hip-hop Basso is bassier, Tenore is much more balanced.

Arzehn

I think you mentioned you were mainly listening to hip-hop Basso is bassier, Tenore is much more balanced.

Ah, that was robox, I just hijacked the recommendation for him. Sorry, I guess that didn't make sense. I tend to listen with more female vocals and ambient music. Perhaps Tenore is better fit for me then?

My wife bought me a pair of Sennheiser 598's for my birthday and so far it's been amazing. This is the first time I have used nice headphones in my life. I have spent hours re-listening to my entire music collection just to “hear things I never did before".

I also need some help. My only complaint with this set is the end of the cable needs an adapter that sticks out 2 inches from wherever it’s plugged. When I use this set with my 3DS or other devices it’s uncomfortable and I’m afraid I’m going to break it. I’m sure I can resolve this with an adapter but am not sure what to get. I’m not a huge audiophile so I probably couldn’t pick up on slight quality loss without a ton of back-and-forth testing. It would bother me knowing the quality of my new headphones is being compromised by a cheap adapter.

So, I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4FU52C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks alright to me but some advice would be nice. Maybe I’m thinking about this wrong too and there’s a better way go around the 2 inch cable end.

Also, as I read through the OP I’m wondering if investing in a DAC/AMP would make these things sound even better.

LQX

My wife bought me a pair of Sennheiser 598's for my birthday and so far it's been amazing. This is the first time I have used nice headphones in my life. I have spent hours re-listening to my entire music collection just to “hear things I never did before".

I also need some help. My only complaint with this set is the end of the cable needs an adapter that sticks out 2 inches from wherever it’s plugged. When I use this set with my 3DS or other devices it’s uncomfortable and I’m afraid I’m going to break it. I’m sure I can resolve this with an adapter but am not sure what to get. I’m not a huge audiophile so I probably couldn’t pick up on slight quality loss without a ton of back-and-forth testing. It would bother me knowing the quality of my new headphones is being compromised by a cheap adapter.

So, I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4FU52C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks alright to me but some advice would be nice. Maybe I’m thinking about this wrong too and there’s a better way go around the 2 inch cable end.

Also, as I read through the OP I’m wondering if investing in a DAC/AMP would make these things sound even better.

The 598 terminates with a 1/4 so you will need a 1/4 Female to 3.5MM Male connector.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000068O6B/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KN7H97M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Or you can get a good cable replacement. Shorter and you can screw on or off the 1/4 jack.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAKBHKM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah they are some amazing headphones and it does not take much to push them but a DAC/AMP can make them sound even better. Had them running from my sound card to an external amp and I was in heaven.

Whats your main audio source for them? Looking for a portable Amp/DAC combo or something stationary? What's your price range?

Poetaster

Banned
Anyone know any good sub $100 alternatives to JVCs discontinued air fit IEMs? I had given my father a pair but unfortunately his corgi got a hold of them and destroyed them.
Those things were super comfortable, you could lay on the side of your head without much or any discomfort. Anything like them still out there?

I've been loving the JVC FX850, but I do miss using the volume control and pause buttons on my previous damaged Apple EarPods.

I wonder how's the DUNU DN 2000 headphones compared to the FX850.

I have no idea how these compare to the IEMs that you mentioned as I am unfamiliar with those but I use these as my 'bed' pair of IEMs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0038W0K2U/

I listen to podcasts when I go to bed and sleep on my side so I need an IEM suited to that. If I use the earlobe stretch technique to get the IEM nice and snug I fall asleep with these in pretty much every night. If your father is okay with a deepish insertion of IEM then these IEMs are well worth your consideration.

Anyone know any good sub $100 alternatives to JVCs discontinued air fit IEMs? I had given my father a pair but unfortunately his corgi got a hold of them and destroyed them.
Those things were super comfortable, you could lay on the side of your head without much or any discomfort. Anything like them still out there?

Poetaster

Banned
Thanks for the suggestion! Those do seem to have a very similar profile but he immediately shot those down because of the over the ear wire. I think I'll just end up picking up a set of m6 pros for myself and give him the spare pair of jvcs I had planned to hold on to.

Antiwhippy

You could have a look at the trinity hyperions. They are seriously small. The body of the entire IEM body can disappear into you ear canals if you have tips small enough. One of the smallest profiles I've encountered in an IEM.

I think they sound absolutely lovely for the price too. Not for the treble sensitive though. Also if your dad hates foam tips he might have trouble with vacuum sealing with the included tips due to how small it is. The two foam tips that it comes with solves this though.

Comparisons with a pen.

Trinity-HYPERION.jpg

Top Bottom