• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

mr stroke

Cause I love the JVC FX850's so much decided to make another import JVC pick up

JVC HA-SZ2000

DDoj4qb.jpg

afWdsTl.jpg

Sweet mother of God the bass on these are unparalleled :eek:

They literately shake my ears and head, feels like 2 JL subwoofers on your head. Anyone listening to a lot of EDM needs these in their life ASAP.

JVC HA-SZ2000

They literately shake my ears and head, feels like 2 JL subwoofers on your head. Anyone listening to a lot of EDM needs these in their life ASAP.

What songs are you listening to with your FX850? I also have them!

HiResDes

JVC HA-SZ2000

The basshead club on headfi has been raving about them for a while really need to be amped quite a bit to help the other regions from being complex drowned out.
I've been loving the JVC FX850, but I do miss using the volume control and pause buttons on my previous damaged Apple EarPods.

I wonder how's the DUNU DN 2000 headphones compared to the FX850.
The DN-2000 is gonna seem as if it has more detail but that's because of it's crazy treble spike that definitely can become quite sibilant. The bass is really quite fast and precise but has a lot less sub bass quantity in comparison to the JVC. The 2000j model tames the treble a bit but still can show some sibilance. The bass impact also slightly improved on the j model. I think the 1000 is better than the original 2000.

Thanks for the suggestion! Those do seem to have a very similar profile but he immediately shot those down because of the over the ear wire. I think I'll just end up picking up a set of m6 pros for myself and give him the spare pair of jvcs I had planned to hold on to.

Well that works :). Although I'm interested to see what you think of these IEMs:

You could have a look at the trinity hyperions. They are seriously small. The body of the entire IEM body can disappear into you ear canals if you have tips small enough. One of the smallest profiles I've encountered in an IEM.

I think they sound absolutely lovely for the price too. Not for the treble sensitive though. Also if your dad hates foam tips he might have trouble with vacuum sealing with the included tips due to how small it is. The two foam tips that it comes with solves this though.

Comparisons with a pen.

They are seriously cute! Would you happen to know if tips from other IEMs would fit these? I am not overly fond of foam tips but have dozens of tips from IEMs that I've bought that have subsequently gone to IEM heaven. I know that these come with silicone tips too but I'm just wondering for size fit if the supplied tips don't fit my ears, you see. In any case, added to wishlist. They're cheap enough to justify an impulse purchase when I feel I deserve a little pampering :D.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I use extra small spinfits myself. Allows for ridiculously deep insertion. If the wire snaps for some reason I might actually need to see the doctor to get them removed! Well, not really, but it nearly gets to that point.

Of course depending on your canal size you might need a different size. Extra small works for me though. Generally you want something that doesn't completely block out your ear, causing the dreaded vacuum seal.

Keep in mind that they are releasing an updated version soon with improved mids and smoother treble with an even smaller body if you could believe that. Though the important bit is the improved strain relief, which is needed because it's so small and deep into your ear that you can't remove it without tugging at the wires or grabbing at the really tiny strain reliefs. Definitely one of my favourite in that price range.

Draper

So here's my deal. I've recently relocated temporarily and am in a situation where, out of respect, rather not be blasting audio from my entertainment system. So here's where I'd use them- while using my PS4 for netflix/games (I guess via the bluetooth on the controller is the only option) and when listening to music on my iPhone and Macbook. With that in mind, I have a pair of the HD555's. Now 2 things, I kinda want to upgrade to a new pair of cans as I've had these for probably running on 5 years now, and also I think maybe I should get a portable(?) amp to help out. Maybe not? I've always thought the ATH-M50x looked decent...I don't know. I would think bluetooth cans are not recommended. Let me know what you guys think.

mr stroke

The basshead club on headfi has been raving about them for a while really need to be amped quite a bit to help the other regions from being complex drowned out.

Suggestions?

Currently using Fiio E11(with gain and bass boost on)
Also tried my shiit, while that makes the mids and highs sound better, it doesn't seem to give the same bass impact the Fiio does.

Poetaster

Banned
Well that works :). Although I'm interested to see what you think of these IEMs:
Those look nice, my only concern from a comfort standpoint would be mashing the cable when resting on the side of your head. I couldn't find a photo of those being worn but with them being so small that might not even be an issue.
I've already got the m6 pros headed my way but I'll keep those hyperions in mind for a future purchase. Thanks for bringing those to my attention Antiwhippy.

Zeth

Anyone ever try different pads/mods on the Fidelio X2? The bass is awesome but I'm still tempted to try the leather HM5s for $20. Figure it might not be worth the time though.

JVC HA-SZ2000

These are on my short list! Look great. Will probably go for these over the V-Modas.

HiResDes

Suggestions?

Currently using Fiio E11(with gain and bass boost on)
Also tried my shiit, while that makes the mids and highs sound better, it doesn't seem to give the same bass impact the Fiio does.

I don't know if there's an amp that will give you the same bass impact while also improving the other regions. I think it's an all or nothing type of situation. I mean if you're using the E11 with the bass boost on then you must want them to be just straight up bass cannons since the bass on them is already so boosted.

Antiwhippy

The headstage arrow stx is recommended for being a bass boost beast, but as always, eq before getting a separate component meant to colour the sound.

JVC HA-SZ2000

I've had my eyes on these for a while now. I'm perfectly happy with my HE-560's, but sometimes I really miss the slam. I tried EQ-ing, but I just doesn't feel right.

Are they worth it for the occasional bass-heavy session? For IDM stuff? They're around 250 euros here, and I'd have to order them from an online shop without auditioning them.

mr stroke

I don't know if there's an amp that will give you the same bass impact while also improving the other regions. I think it's an all or nothing type of situation. I mean if you're using the E11 with the bass boost on then you must want them to be just straight up bass cannons since the bass on them is already so boosted.

LOL

Pretty much, as someone who used to be a car audio nut, its near impossible to find headphones that give the extension that a sub will, but damn if the JVC's don't come close :) just wish I could get a happy medium between the bass and mids/highs but I guess thats what you give up for bone shattering bass.

What songs are you listening to with your FX850? I also have them!

Actually using them as my gaming cans(with a USB mic). Which believe it or not, are fantastic for gaming, wide soundstage, super comfortable and strong bass for explosions, etc..

I use extra small spinfits myself. Allows for ridiculously deep insertion. If the wire snaps for some reason I might actually need to see the doctor to get them removed! Well, not really, but it nearly gets to that point.

Of course depending on your canal size you might need a different size. Extra small works for me though. Generally you want something that doesn't completely block out your ear, causing the dreaded vacuum seal.

Keep in mind that they are releasing an updated version soon with improved mids and smoother treble with an even smaller body if you could believe that. Though the important bit is the improved strain relief, which is needed because it's so small and deep into your ear that you can't remove it without tugging at the wires or grabbing at the really tiny strain reliefs. Definitely one of my favourite in that price range.

I think I might have some spinfits in my stash so I'll give them a whirl, thanks :). Thanks also for the heads up on the newer version that's upcoming. I might still treat myself to the current release. For £30 I can hardly lose either way :D.

Those look nice, my only concern from a comfort standpoint would be mashing the cable when resting on the side of your head. I couldn't find a photo of those being worn but with them being so small that might not even be an issue.
I've already got the m6 pros headed my way but I'll keep those hyperions in mind for a future purchase. Thanks for bringing those to my attention Antiwhippy.

I hope the m6 pros prove to your liking :).

mr stroke

I've had my eyes on these for a while now. I'm perfectly happy with my HE-560's, but sometimes I really miss the slam. I tried EQ-ing, but I just doesn't feel right.

Are they worth it for the occasional bass-heavy session? For IDM stuff? They're around 250 euros here, and I'd have to order them from an online shop without auditioning them.

if you like this

IJXozoF.jpg

then buy them ASAP!

HiResDes

The sz1000 are supposedly quite similar just slightly more balanced if you can find those cheaper. When I first starting out I definitely considered myself to be a basshead and I remember thinking the M Audio q40 had exceptional bass after being disappointed by the bass quality of the DT 770's man I was a basshead. I still think if the Q40s had better build quality they would be one of the best values if not the best in the headphone world besides maybe some modded Fostex.

Antiwhippy

Sony mdr1bt and the momentum wireless ask have pretty good receptions, though the momentum wireless had Bluetooth issues that they had to recall for last I checked.

Vmoda wireless seems to be the new wireless hotness too.

Tommy DJ

The more I own the Sennheiser HD800, the more I think the Sennheiser HD600 is actually the better headphone. Technically, the HD800 is better and more resolving but, in my mind, there are two problems with the HD800s:
  1. The stock sound signature is not good. Its just way too bright. Its not even close to being neutral and can literally only work with orchestral, acoustic, and not-bright recordings.
  2. The soundstage is just too diffuse when lots of stuff is happening in the same frequency ranges. I don't think very much of "soundstage" when it comes to headphones, since its 99% recording/master/production related and headphones are pretty shit at it anyway, but the HD800 has a tendency of becoming a wall of sound
The rug liner component of the Anax 2.0 mod solves the soundstage issue. It definitely decreases the soundstage width but that's a good price to pay to be able to position instruments accurately. It also improves resolution, I think. The HD800 also sound worse with the dust covers on like its brighter and more veiled, which is strange since material infront of the drivers generally attenuate treble.

Currently, I use the following PEQ settings and it sounds alright to me:
6,500 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 10.00
6,000 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 12.00

I have the old stock pads it seems so I've measured a peak at 6 khz and a larger one 6.5khz. The strange thing is I don't really hear the midrange dip and doing anything in the 1-4khz region causes everything to sound like shit.

So after some degree of modification, they're good headphones I really don't recommend. The tonal balance and soundstage is just too wonky for us basic bitches. For the same cash, you could buy a Geek Out V2, a Sennheiser HD650, do the quarter & foam removal modification on the HD650, cut the stock connector off the stock HD650 cable to replace with a balanced TRRS connector and still have money to buy like a hundred full priced albums.

Antiwhippy

50000€

Pretty sure it'll be very close to 100k aud, even though currency conversion would make it around 80k after accounting gst. Just add in an extra 20k because fuck, why not?

Now to buy this or a bmw...?

RS4-

I don't feel like spending much, so I just need an upgrade to my Meelectronics M6P IEM. Been using them since 2009? 10?

I still haven't used my AD700s much lol. So I don't know if I really need an upgrade to that. I might actually take them on the plane with me to LA though.

So yeah, looking to spend about $100 CAD, give or take.

M6 Pros? Shure SE215? Some random Chinese brand?

I'm leaning towards just getting some IEMs.

Antiwhippy

I don't feel like spending much, so I just need an upgrade to my Meelectronics M6P IEM. Been using them since 2009? 10?

I still haven't used my AD700s much lol. So I don't know if I really need an upgrade to that. I might actually take them on the plane with me to LA though.

So yeah, looking to spend about $100 CAD, give or take.

M6 Pros? Shure SE215? Some random Chinese brand?

I'm leaning towards just getting some IEMs.

What kind of sound are you looking for mainly?

komplanen

Noobie question. If I buy the Grado SR60e headphones, do I need or should I buy a DAC or an amp?

Will connect to:
- MacBook Pro
- Gaming PC (thinking of buying a soundcard)

Waikis

[*]The soundstage is just too diffuse when lots of stuff is happening in the same frequency ranges. I don't think very much of "soundstage" when it comes to headphones, since its 99% recording/master/production related and headphones are pretty shit at it anyway, but the HD800 has a tendency of becoming a wall of sound[/LIST]

That's pretty much the same complaint that I have with HD 800 and Sr 009. Both phones are consistently 'wide' in terms of presentation. Sr 007, on the other hand, have that nice soundstage layering.

HiResDes

Noobie question. If I buy the Grado SR60e headphones, do I need or should I buy a DAC or an amp?

Will connect to:
- MacBook Pro
- Gaming PC (thinking of buying a soundcard)
Might be okay without an amp, but I'd definitely recommend springing for the SR80e over the 60 for the much improved bass quality. They're fairly efficient though

Not sure if you all have seen this - new Sennheiser Orpheus

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/1...ONO+AND+STEREO+Ultra+High-End+Audio+Magazine)

http://audio-head.com/the-new-sennheiser-orpheus/

$55K USD

orpheustopview.jpg

Almost 25 years after the legendary Orpheus, in the company’s 70th anniversary year, Sennheiser is once again surpassing the limits of what is technically feasible and is opening up a new chapter in audio excellence. The new Orpheus represents a unique combination of meticulous engineering skills and technological brilliance. The result: an unprecedented sound experience with the ultimate in reproduction precision and unique spatiality. “For seven decades now, Sennheiser has shaped the industry and has been at the cutting edge of audio by continuously re-defining the gold standard of what is technically possible,” said Sennheiser CEO Daniel Sennheiser. “With the Orpheus, we are once again pushing the boundaries and are showing that we can repeatedly set new benchmarks in excellence and reshape the future of the high-end audio world.”

In order to craft a successor to the legendary Orpheus as a reference product for the industry itself, Sennheiser worked tirelessly on innovative technical solutions, consistently putting previously used acoustics approaches to the test and exploiting every conceivable possibility when it came to selecting the optimum materials. For almost a decade, a core team of developers, engineers and designers dedicated themselves to producing a successor, and they have now created a headphone system that is beyond comparison. “We are very proud of this absolutely exceptional product,” said Sennheiser CEO Dr. Andreas Sennheiser. The Orpheus stands for the innovative capabilities of our company and the joint commitment of our workforce to the pursuit of perfect sound.”

Reproducing sound that is as natural as possible and precise in every detail: with the new Orpheus, Sennheiser has come closer to this dream than anyone ever before. “No other sound reproduction system in the world is able to deceive our senses like the Orpheus. It creates the absolutely perfect illusion of being directly immersed in the sound,” said Daniel Sennheiser, describing the audio experience. To achieve this, the headphones use a completely new amplifier concept that combines the superior impulse processing of a tube amplifier with the low distortion of a transistor amplifier to perfection.

At the heart of the amplifier are eight vacuum tubes that process the incoming signal. “The advantage of tube amplifiers is their superior impulse processing,” said Axel Grell, Portfolio Manager Audiophile at Sennheiser. “However, one challenge is their sensitivity to air-borne-noise.” For this reason, the amplifier housing was crafted from granular, inhomogeneous Carrara marble and is freely suspended with the amplifier. The decoupling of the tubes in combination with the damping properties of the marble has the effect of reducing structure-borne noise to an absolute minimum. The tubes themselves also have a high-quality patent-pending enclosure consisting of quartz-glass bulbs that perfectly shield them from their surroundings.

The tube amplifier stage is followed by a patented ultra-high impulse amplifier stage that is directly integrated into the cups of the headphones. The result is impressive: a 200 percent rise in efficiency compared to other products. “In electrostatic headphones, most of the amplifier power is lost in the cable between the headphones and the tube amplifier. Only around one third of the power generated is actually used to produce sound waves,” explained Axel Grell. “Our approach was therefore to amplify the alternating voltage to high voltages not at the beginning of the cable but at the point where it is really required – directly at the gold-vaporised ceramic electrodes in the headphones themselves.” The great advantage of this design is the extremely short distance between the amplifier and the diaphragm, which is less than one centimeter in the new Orpheus. As a result, the headphone system requires far less power for charge reversal, as the current capacities are much lower. At a voltage of only around 5 Volt, the music signal is transmitted balanced to the high-voltage amplifier integrated into the headphones and is amplified there. This ensures extremely high impulse fidelity with relatively low power requirements. Just like the tubes of the tube amplifier, the system’s MOS-FET transistors have a square characteristic curve to prevent the hard distortion that occurs in amplifiers with bi-polar transistors.

Sennheiser places the new amplifier concept in a class that the audio specialist calls Cool Class A. In the low-frequency range, Cool Class A provides Class A power at any volume. In the high- and ultrahigh-frequency range, the amplifier switches from Class A to the usual Class AB operation. That will, however, only be the case when listening to a very unusual frequency spectrum. “Cool Class A is a brilliant idea: the music signal is reproduced without distortion and the headphones remain cool,” said Axel Grell. “We carried out extensive signal analyses and listening analyses as well as detailed tests to find out how much current we need at which frequency in order to achieve this unusual result.”

Meticulous attention has also been paid to every detail of the material selection for the Orpheus in order to fully exploit the sound potential of the reference headphones. Each of the more than 6,000 individual components was carefully chosen, their acoustic characteristics were evaluated and finally the optimum combination was put together. After all, it is the interaction between all components that is ultimately responsible for the audio quality of the headphones. For example, to ensure the outstanding performance of the acoustic unit, Sennheiser uses gold-vaporised ceramic electrodes and platinum-vaporised diaphragms.

“When developing the electrodes, our aim was to find a material that is absolutely rigid in order to avoid the possible occurrence of distortion peaks at frequencies in the range of three to four kilohertz,” explained Axel Grell. Against this background, the engineers finally decided to use ceramic – a material whose internal damping and granular structure make it much more resistant to resonances than, for example, glass. However, producing such ceramic electrodes is a complex task: ceramics can neither be etched nor suitably drilled. For that reason, Sennheiser crafts the electrodes using a sophisticated spraying and grinding process. Subsequently, a layer of gold is vapor-deposited to guarantee optimum electrical conductivity.

Material selection and processing are also decisive when it comes to the coating for the diaphragm. After intensive tests, the choice was made in favor of a vapor-deposited coating of platinum. The thickness of the entire diaphragm is precisely 2.4 micrometres. With regard to the ratio of the diaphragm thickness to the coupled air mass, 2.4 micrometers was found to be the optimum for allowing controlled vibration of the diaphragm – the result of extensive testing by the team of developers. “In this case, it’s not a matter of ‚the thinner, the better’ but of finding the absolute optimum,” said Axel Grell.

It goes without saying that the cables too have been specially designed and built. The eight wires of the high-performance cables are made of oxygen-free copper and plated with a coating of silver, which provides optimum conductivity for perfect transmission of the audio signal. The wires are sheathed in an insulating layer that has a mixture of differently structured materials which eliminates the sound waves acting on the cable.

With its unique transducer system, the new Orpheus has a frequency response of 8 hertz to more than 100 kilohertz. This is a frequency range which far exceeds the limits of human hearing ability. Nevertheless, this extremely wide frequency response does have an effect on the sound experience, as it ensures that, in the audible range, the sound of the headphones is virtually free of distortion.

At one kilohertz and a sound pressure level of 100 decibels, the total harmonic distortion of the headphone system is a mere 0.01 percent, which means it reproduces the sound of the audio source with greater fidelity and in more detail than any other product in the audio world. Therefore, in terms of sound purity, Sennheiser is venturing into areas that have never before been measured in a sound reproduction system. Even the slightest nuances of the music become audible. “In some music pieces that I had known for years, I suddenly became aware of details which I had never perceived before,” said Axel Grell, describing the listening experience with the new Orpheus. “I found this really moving – and every other listener will also be overwhelmed by this unique audio experience. After all, music is all about emotions.”

The Orpheus can be operated with a wide range of analogue and digital audio sources. Apart from balanced inputs, the headphone system also has unbalanced input sockets; the incoming signals are balanced before being further processed. Digital audio sources are connected via S/PDIF (optical and coaxial) or USB. To convert the digital music data into analoge signals, the Orpheus uses the ESS SABRE ES9018 chip – a reference in the field of digital-to-analoge converters. In the Orpheus, its eight internal DACs convert audio data with a resolution of 32 bits and a sampling rate of up to 384 kHz or DSD signals with 2.8 MHz and 5.6 MHz into balanced analoge signals. For each stereo channel, four DACs are connected in parallel for noise reduction. As a result, the entire frequency spectrum of high-end audio sources is reproduced without distortion. The circuit was optimised for the fully symmetrical design of the Orpheus.

The unique Orpheus experience begins long before you start listening. When the on/off-volume control is pressed, the controls at the front slowly extend from the amplifier housing, before the vacuum tubes with their quartz glass bulbs rise from the base and start to glow. Finally, a glass cover is automatically raised, allowing the headphones to be removed. “Our aim was to provide a sensual experience by using highest quality materials,” said Axel Grell.

The marble that Sennheiser chose for the amplifier housing comes from Carrara in Italy and is the same type of marble that Michelangelo used to create his sculptures. The rotary switches for the source and the volume controls are milled from a single piece of brass and chromium-plated. The positions of the four switches are controlled by a microprocessor and activated by high-quality relays. Each element can be remote-controlled and will follow any adjustments that the listener makes. For example, if the input switch is changed by remote control from USB to Balanced, the respective button will also rotate.

The combination of outstanding technology, exquisite design and the highest-quality materials is also continued in the headphones themselves. The genuine leather ear cushions are crafted in Germany and ensure the highest possible comfort even over several hours. At the inner side of the cushions, hypoallergenic, breathable microfiber fabric provides additional acoustic absorption. All these materials form an ingenious combination of design, comfort and function – for a unique audio experience that appeals to all senses.

The Orpheus was developed at Sennheiser’s headquarters in Germany. The new reference product will also be manufactured there. The Orpheus will be available from mid-2016 and will cost around € 50,000.

Tommy DJ

Is there a point in putting balanced cables on the hd650?

Balanced amps output more power, balanced audio systems are inherently designed to reject noise, reduction of channel imbalance and crosstalk, and they're able to run longer distances without attenuation of high frequencies.

For headphones, little of this probably matters. If the option is available, there's no reason to not use it especially for a power limited amplifier like the GO V2 though.

But far as I'm concerned, anything that is ungodly expensive but still requires RCA and single ended headphone jacks to operate is shitting with you and real audiophool bullshit.

Re: Orpheus. That amp is some hideous shit designed for that 1% crowd that likes buying and showing off expensive shit. The price doesn't really bother me though, if it's like the original Orpheus, since you can charge whatever you want when the headphone market consists of scrubs who can't even get channel balance right in $2,000 products. Like, most TOTL headphones have more driver channel imbalance in one headphone than two different Sennheiser HD800s have in their entire frequency responses.

Also that amp/dac thingy is apparently using a SABER DAC what the fuck. Like you're asking for 50,000 Euros and you can't even shell out for a R2R DAC that audiophiles are going nuts over right now?

Antiwhippy

Ah alright, if it's there you might as well use it really.

Still trying to figure my way around the audiophile fog. Like right now my understanding is that cables may make a difference, but only in the context of BA drivers which are much more sensitive to impedance curves, and it's more about the impedance of the cables than any exotic material or shielding.

Re: Orpheus. That amp is some hideous shit designed for that 1% crowd that likes buying and showing off expensive shit. The price doesn't really bother me though, if it's like the original Orpheus, since you can charge whatever you want when the headphone market consists of scrubs who can't even get channel balance right in $2,000 products. Like, most TOTL headphones have more driver channel imbalance in one headphone than two different Sennheiser HD800s have in their entire frequency responses.

Also that amp/dac thingy is apparently using a SABER DAC what the fuck. Like you're asking for 50,000 Euros and you can't even shell out for a R2R DAC that audiophiles are going nuts over right now?

The Amp looks like the marble in a hotel toilet.

The original orpheus was $16K which is still ridiculous.

I wouldnt spend more than $2K on headphones in any event.

mr stroke

Any recommendations for Bluetooth headphones, or is it still too early for those to be "great"?

These ear buds are actually incredible for wireless earbuds-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WUDX250/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$25 and sound fantastic, I use them daily for working out

if you want cans, the Beats wireless 2 are surprisingly good, I owned a pair for a while and was impressed, While they won't sound like audiophile cans they are really good for what they are. If you don't want to spend that much then the- MME wireless
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DOP3NPW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RS4-

What kind of sound are you looking for mainly?

Honestly, I have no idea. Neutral? Like I understand what cold is, warm, etc. (at least I think I do). And I listen to any genre of music as well. If anything, something like Silversun Pickups, m83, etc.

Antiwhippy

The ones I have experience with in that price range aren't neutral, but I'll give a recs on what I like plus throw some stuff out for you to look further into if you would like.

Trinity Hyperion - probably the closest to neutral for me except for the slight emphasis on the bass and upper midrange/treble. Has the best detail I've heard in this price range.

Audiofly AF56 - V-shaped but with nice clarity throughout.

ATH IM70 - Slow boomy bass, slow sound signature overall really, but that gives it a lushness that I really like, especially in the kids. By lush I mean that while the detail isn't amazing the slow diffusion of the notes gives it a very pleasing melody.

Then there are others in that price range I haven't heard but are known to be neutral. The meelectronic a151p and the zero carbo tenore.

Also you might want to wait a bit because holy crap Xiaomi just announced the Pistons 4. 1 dynamic + 2 BA hybrid for 15USD. Dunno how it'll sound but xiaomi are known for crazy good value for their price. How the hell did they make a 3 driver hybrid for $15?

RS4-

Thanks for the recommendations and yeah, I just read about the new Xiaomi Hybrid or whatever.

Then I read about the LZ A2, wanted them. Then I saw the price in CAD.

:(

Looks like I'll just get the Hybrid/Pistons 4.

HiResDes

Honestly, I have no idea. Neutral? Like I understand what cold is, warm, etc. (at least I think I do). And I listen to any genre of music as well. If anything, something like Silversun Pickups, m83, etc.

You want something with a wide soundstage then and a good midrange, clear highs. Bass quantity doesn't seem important, but something that's just a bit punchy can add a lot to rock tracks.

I'd go with the JVC HA-FXT90

Igo

Great build quality but kind of dark and doesn't have the detail retrieval of anything that's been recommended to you. And the Shure SE215 is pretty much in the same class but v shaped. Aren't you the guy that was naming like $400 dollar stuff just a second ago.
Just how dark are they? I was looking at them because of the 3 year warranty and close proximity, but i'm not sure they're really what i'm looking for sonically.

I think I prefer a neutral sound, maybe with a slight bias towards the higher frequencies. I'm looking for detailed and clear instrument separation with that kind of crisp piercing sound you get from violins or female vocals.

The RE400's seem to be what i'm looking for but the build quality seems to be garbage and shipping to the US for repairs would be prohibitive. I abuse my stuff and i'm tired of buying new shit ever 2 years.

Igo

You could try those Trinity IEMs Antiwhippy was talking about or the Ostry KCO6a are always a good option.
The Trinity Hyperion's are getting an update later this year so those are out for now.

How do the KC06As compare to the HF5? I have fond memories of my old er6i's.

HiResDes

The Trinity Hyperion's are getting an update later this year so those are out for now.

How do the KC06As compare to the HF5? I have fond memories of my old er6i's.
You asked for something under a hundred dollars so I recommended the KC06a, but they sound nothing like the more expensive and even more balanced sounding armature HF5 for which the Astrotec AX-7 that I recommended earlier is more of a direct competitor to.

Igo

You asked for something under a hundred dollars so I recommended the KC06a, but they sound nothing like the more expensive and even more balanced sounding armature HF5 for which the Astrotec AX-7 that I recommended earlier is more of a direct competitor to.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. $100 (£65) is the budget I set for myself and the HF2/5's can be found for just under that. The Astrotec's are $140 before shipping so unfortunately those aren't an option.

Top Bottom