• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

LQX

My rational for jumping on the hype train for the TH-X00 is that I have been seeking a good bass headphone. And these seem to have plenty. I have have not been satisfied with anything I have tried so far, not even the HD 650.

Also, people were not kidding when they said the HD 600 lacked bass. It is so damn muted. I knew that going in but being that I was semi impressed with the HD 650 and kept reading many preferred them I wanted to try them. Ok so far but not anything I would miss so be on the look out for those in the FS thread.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, that's my thing with neutral headphones, is that they never actually have the bass I would experience in like real life, whether it be quantity or impact. Though I guess it's the divide between studio reference or live reference.

I'm still trying to decide whether I like my new 400i better than my HD650. I appreciate the better clarity and accuracy of the 400i, but my hd650 is just oh so smooth.

I now find myself wanting to upgrade my closed can situation. My neighbor just got a new dog, and man is it annoying! I've been eyeing the MrSpeakers Mad Dog. $299 and has good reviews.

What do you guys think? How would they compare to my current open setup of hd650 and 400i?

Tommy DJ

400i isn't accurate unless you equate recessed midrange + treble boost as accurate.

MrSpeakers Mad Dog's quality was debatable back then (better than hobbyist T50RP mods like Thunderpants or the original ZMF headphones I guess but definitely worse than the Enigmatic Audio's Paradox).

With every company releasing an orthodynamic headphone, its really not good. At the end of the day, its still a Fostex T50RP mod with some questionable tuning. Worse than the newer ZMF modifications, still worse than Enigmatic Audio's Paradox, worse than a lot of new releases from major companies like Oppo's PM3.

400i isn't accurate unless you equate recessed midrange + treble boost as accurate.

MrSpeakers Mad Dog's quality was debatable back then (better than hobbyist T50RP mods like Thunderpants or the original ZMF headphones I guess but definitely worse than the Enigmatic Audio's Paradox).

With every company releasing an orthodynamic headphone, its really not good. At the end of the day, its still a Fostex T50RP mod with some questionable tuning. Worse than the newer ZMF modifications, still worse than Enigmatic Audio's Paradox, worse than a lot of new releases from major companies like Oppo's PM3.

I haven't experienced this recessed midrange and treble issues at all, but they are still new and I have a lot more listening to do. I've found they compare very favorably to the hd650, though pretty different imo.

The current Mad Dog (3.2) seems to be a lot better than the earlier models. What would your recommendation be for a closed back headphone in the $300 range? For a new planar fan, and an hd650 fan.

Tommy DJ

I guess the Oppo PM3? Might be too much $$$ but its a smooth sounding headphone definitely.

Considering you like both the 400i and HD650, you could potentially get just about anything really if you try them out. The 400i is pretty U shaped while the HD650 essentially follows the old B&K target curve.

Speaking of deals, B&H has HD600s for $250 with coupon code IOS2015. I don't think the HD600 is going to get cheaper than this price.

Ecto311

So I have the 598s and the monoprice 8323 coming in the next few days. Going to try both since I am still really suspect if my ears can hear the difference and hate to spend $100 on headphones if some $15 ones do the same thing to my experience. I worked 10 years running jackhammers and around heavy machines so I know my hearing is dogshit at this point.

Any tips for comparing? Either need break in or any of that other new headphone work done? Going to be running both off my iPhone 6+ and xbox one/PC. Breaking them in according to google search is either the best thing ever or a complete waste of time.

HiResDes

Sound is so subjective I rarely ever think a headphone sounds exactly like the curve. I haven't seen many people complain about the 400i midrange though it might be a bit recessed according to the curve it doesn't seem to be too apparent when listening to them. I'm just gonna wait for the Stax though myself unless the HE-560 see a massive drop.

Solar Final Audio makes closed headphones with really solid midranges. Might wanna check out the Sonorous IV. Focal Spirit Professional also have a very nice midrange.

I guess the Oppo PM3? Might be too much $$$ but its a smooth sounding headphone definitely.

Considering you like both the 400i and HD650, you could potentially get just about anything really if you try them out. The 400i is pretty U shaped while the HD650 essentially follows the old B&K target curve.

Speaking of deals, B&H has HD600s for $250 with coupon code IOS2015. I don't think the HD600 is going to get cheaper than this price.

The pm3 is on my list of possible headphones. It is really hard to find comparisons between them and the Mad Dogs though. The Mad Dogs just look so comfy! My main issue with the pm3 is that the eapads are not user replaceable, something I place a high priority on when buying expensive headphones (especially as these are $400). Also just out of my more "comfortable" price range of $300.

Are there even any other closed back planars under $500? Those are the only two that come to mind. I haven't decided if I'm keeping the 400i yet. If I do sell them, I would want to get another planar, as that speed and bass extension is fantastic with my symphonic metal music.

LQX

So I have the 598s and the monoprice 8323 coming in the next few days. Going to try both since I am still really suspect if my ears can hear the difference and hate to spend $100 on headphones if some $15 ones do the same thing to my experience. I worked 10 years running jackhammers and around heavy machines so I know my hearing is dogshit at this point.

Any tips for comparing? Either need break in or any of that other new headphone work done? Going to be running both off my iPhone 6+ and xbox one/PC. Breaking them in according to google search is either the best thing ever or a complete waste of time.

One thing I can assure you is that you will notice the comfort. The 8323 felt so damn tight and uncomfortable on my head. The 598 is probably the most comfortable headphones I have worn, so that alone makes that price difference worth it. And if you have a good source you will immediately hear that difference also.

HiResDes

The pm3 is on my list of possible headphones. It is really hard to find comparisons between them and the Mad Dogs though. The Mad Dogs just look so comfy! My main issue with the pm3 is that the eapads are not user replaceable, something I place a high priority on when buying expensive headphones (especially as these are $400). Also just out of my more "comfortable" price range of $300.

Are there even any other closed back planars under $500? Those are the only two that come to mind. I haven't decided if I'm keeping the 400i yet. If I do sell them, I would want to get another planar, as that speed and bass extension is fantastic with my symphonic metal music.
The Sonorous IV utilizes a full size armature and dynamic design, which is supposed to make their speed and detail quite comparable.

The Sonorous IV utilizes a full size armature and dynamic design, which is supposed to make their speed and detail quite comparable.

Armature designs are generally found in iems more often? Very nice looking, I'm reading some impressions.

Although right now, $500 is definitely out of my price range.

Edit: looks like some models have been on massdrop in the past, so maybe I can find a deal at some point. Going to keep looking in the meantime.

As far as I know, the FAD Pandora/Sonorous phones are the only types of headphones in the world that incorporate armatures into their design. It's kind of an insane thing to do TBH, but then again, it's FAD lol

LQX

I got my HiFiMAN HE‑400i today. First off they sound amazing. Love the bass. They're also packaged so well. Was also pleased to see they came with 2.5mm detachable headphone connectors rather than the screw ons.

That said, anyone else have these and can relate to somewhat shoddy build quality? I see some chipping around the ear cups. And the velvet on one the pads overlaps the polymer. That I can live with but that chipping in the metal sort of pisses me off. This is why I hate shiny electronics.

That white at the very edge is the chipping.
IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

Send it back?

J. Bravo

Prefer the Creative sound signature

i'm listening to the 598s right now and i'm not sure how i'll go back to lifting with my skullcandy headphones. these sound way better and are a million times more comfy. haven't even opened the creative yet. probably won't since it's intended to be an early christmas gift.

do you know which of the two isolates better?
edit: by isolates , i mean which block outside noise the best.

Holy shit, the HE-400i is fucking awesome. I only listened directly out of my Sony A17 DAP but they are phenomenal. Definitely an improvement from my Denon D2000, which I am extremely fond of.

They are a christmas gift so they are going back in the box (wanted to make sure they aren't broken). So I will get to try them out with my amp and dac next month.

Couldn't be happier I think for the cost. Damn!

HiResDes

i'm listening to the 598s right now and i'm not sure how i'll go back to lifting with my skullcandy headphones. these sound way better and are a million times more comfy. haven't even opened the creative yet. probably won't since it's intended to be an early christmas gift.

do you know which of the two isolates better?
edit: by isolates , i mean which block outside noise the best.

The 598 are open headphones...The answer should be obvious

People with 400i did you get the FocusPads-A

LQX

Holy shit, the HE-400i is fucking awesome. I only listened directly out of my Sony A17 DAP but they are phenomenal. Definitely an improvement from my Denon D2000, which I am extremely fond of.

They are a christmas gift so they are going back in the box (wanted to make sure they aren't broken). So I will get to try them out with my amp and dac next month.

Couldn't be happier I think for the cost. Damn!

Did you notice any paint chipping like my picture above?

The 598 are open headphones...The answer should be obvious
People with 400i did you get the FocusPads-A
Not sure, is that only a separate purchase or do some of the 400is come with the -A pad?

I don't think so but I didn't look very carefully. They're boxed up now, would have to take em out again to check. I ordered mine from a Canadian retailer so the stock is likely different, in case you were thinking it could be a run of production with an issue.

Ullus

Thinking about replacing my Fidelio X1s, getting kinda tired of the earpad colouration, did they fix it with the X2s or should i look elsewhere?

LQX

Ugh, the HE-400i are so good. I seriously don't think I can ever put the HD 600/650 on again and I cant even can't fathom how good their higher end models must sound as these are so good. I would not hesitate to buy these before they go back up in price.

Not sure, is that only a separate purchase or do some of the 400is come with the -A pad?

I don't think so but I didn't look very carefully. They're boxed up now, would have to take em out again to check. I ordered mine from a Canadian retailer so the stock is likely different, in case you were thinking it could be a run of production with an issue.

Ah okay. Starting to think slight imperfections might be unavoidable as I'm seeing the same in a few pictures I have seen.

Antiwhippy

It's hifiman. They put all their budget into sound quality. :p

To be fair on them they seem to have tighter manufacturing processes than audeze.

Hatchtag

Banned
I now have the sennheiser 598s, they're damn comfy. What is the next step to audiophilia? I currently just have my phone and computer as devices to plug it into, and only really have songs via Spotify and MP3s.

HiResDes

I now have the sennheiser 598s, they're damn comfy. What is the next step to audiophilia? I currently just have my phone and computer as devices to plug it into, and only really have songs via Spotify and MP3s.
Buy more expensive headphones with better bass eventually

Nah, I've had them for a year or so and I like how they sound but reviews say they sound really good with an amp

Every time they go on sale on Amazon people say to get an amp with them

Mine looks good last I checked. Although my cable is faulty, which the seller is sending me a new one to replace. Hifiman is known to have an inconsistency in quality control, though have gotten better.

Nah, I've had them for a year or so and I like how they sound but reviews say they sound really good with an amp

Every time they go on sale on Amazon people say to get an amp with them

I have an hd439 lying around. Not sure why people would recommend an amp. Absolutely not needed. Would only make them louder and perhaps color the sound with the amps characteristics. I agree with the others here that money would be better spent on an upgrade to your headphones.

ZZMitch

Hey guys,

With Cyber Monday sales happening I thought it would be a good idea to buy a new pair of headphones. My go-to set for the last few years has been the Etymotic HF5s (thanks to a previous GAF headphone thread!), but I am thinking it is time for me to look elsewhere since my current pair (and the one I had before that) ran into the same issue where one ear piece suddenly stopped working.

So I wanted to see if there were any better options that people could recommend at around the $150 price range. I am planning on going for in-ear headphones since I like the small size for traveling and for things such as mowing the lawn. I also already have a pretty good pair of over ear headphones that I use for gaming (they plug into USB though so not very good with my phone!). One of the things I loved about the HF5s is the noise cancelling (although I could often hear the sound of the headphone cord brushing up against things if that makes sense). So that is a priority!

Thanks for the suggestions!

edit: I will mainly be using these with my phone (Google Nexus 5) if that matters

edit2: Now I was planning on getting in-ear headphones... but this deal seems insane: worth?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042A8CW2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Antiwhippy

They're not for you if you want isolation.

Honestly not a lot of universals can reach etymotic levels of isolation. Maybe look at the shure se215?

Antiwhippy

BTW last day for the aaw a3hpro, with all the faceplates unlocked for free including the pricier ones so you can go bonkers with customisation if you want. Think I'll keep mine relatively simple. Killer deal for a ciem from a company who seems to do good stuff, and hybrid designs are rare to come by in ciems, though there aren't many impressions of the a3hpro if any. So there's a bit of risk to join but at that price I'll take it.

Plus I need to have something from my birthplace to rep it.

From what I can gather though it's a more balanced fidue a83? Smoother treble than the a83 which can only be a good thing. Their w500 is something I want to try one of these days.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/aaw-a3hpro-hybrid-3-way-ciem

BraXzy

Ended up picking up the Gen 2 Astro A40's with Mixamp pro. Really happy with them so far, especially for £99 total.

Still not tried them with my consoles yet, I don't want to figure out the wire set up yet xD

Mr. Hyde

Awesome! The Fostex TH-X00 on Massdrop is all sold out. I hope this ships faster now. This will pair nicely with my ATH-AD900 headphones. I also decided to get the Schiit Magni 2/Modi 2 to replace my old nuforce uDac 1. As you can tell, I never buy new audio equipment.

Top Bottom