• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 OHM (but they'd definitely sound better if you use the mixamp as a preamp for a more robust amp)

But if you just wanna use your mixamp then go with the Phillips X2 or Sennheiser HD 598 if you can't afford the X2

What kind of amp would you recommend? In regards to connecting the amps it would go as this...

Source (Xbox or PS) optical cable to mixamp (I am assuming where I would normally connect my headphones to is what connect the new amp to, correct?) and then the mixamp headphone output to amp then from the amp is the headphones.

I would turn up the mixamp's volume all the way up and use the new amp for volume adjustment.

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Pardon my ignorance.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I just got a nexus 6p and I don't know what the head fi thread on the nexus 6p is on about. It sounds perfectly fine and the thread makes it sound like it's unlistenable.

Very slight grain and distortion but perfectly serviceable as a dap.

Still looking to get an onkyo dp-x1 as a standalone dap.

HiResDes

What kind of amp would you recommend? In regards to connecting the amps it would go as this...

Source (Xbox or PS) optical cable to mixamp (I am assuming where I would normally connect my headphones to is what connect the new amp to, correct?) and then the mixamp headphone output to amp then from the amp is the headphones.

I would turn up the mixamp's volume all the way up and use the new amp for volume adjustment.

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. Pardon my ignorance.
That's all correct it looks like but if you can afford something a little out of your range like the X2 you probably won't really need a mixamp and they have a detachable cable so you could use a v moda boom pro.

Digging my LCD-2, but not sure if its worth the premium price over the $300 I paid for my 400i. Bass is a little better but vocals are a bit recessed when directly compared.

Kinda want to return them and buy the alpha dogs so I have a closed set.

Edit: To clarify, I paid $650 for my LCD-2.2f, brand new.

KevinG

Just ordered my first pair of "audiophile" headphones.

A pair of ATH-M50x for $150 on Amazon. I haven't skimmed this thread yet, but I've only heard great things about these.

Ready to finally hear my favorite albums outside of the Jeep and EarPods.

LQX

Just ordered my first pair of "audiophile" headphones.

A pair of ATH-M50x for $150 on Amazon. I haven't skimmed this thread yet, but I've only heard great things about these.

Ready to finally hear my favorite albums outside of the Jeep and EarPods.

Great headphones. They sound damn amazing on my O2+ODAC combo. I also really appreciate the somewhat rugged build quality.

Linius

Audioquest coming up with new Dragonfly models, a black and a red one. Especially the possibilty to use them directly on tablets/phones etc. due to their low power consumption interests me. Hopefully we get them soon, keen to check them out.

https://vimeo.com/151709852

Blitzhex

$130 dt990 pro all black.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371488752233
Looks like a really good deal for fun headphones.

Digging my LCD-2, but not sure if its worth the premium price over the $300 I paid for my 400i. Bass is a little better but vocals are a bit recessed when directly compared.

That's a pretty good price for new lcd2s and it still wasn't worth it over the 400is? That makes the 400i sound very enticing.

HiResDes

If you like the 400i a lot I would think you'd have your eyes set on the HE-560 rather than the LCD-2 as the next logical upgrade.

Blitzhex

Just tried some PM2s, LCD2fs and Nighthawks off of a Oppo ha-1 in a store. It was a bit noisy there, so couldn't catch all the details. The PM2s had the most detail out of the bunch and the Nighthawk sounded very nice and musical. I liked the LCD2fs the most just because of the soundstage. Only heard them for a couple of mins.

I wasn't even interested in the Nighthawk, the guy at the store suggested them and took out a new pair that wasn't even "burned in". I was pleasantly surprised by them, very nice bass, lots of warmth and they're half the official retail price of the LCD2s.

They don't carry any hifiman sadly apart from he1000 and I didn't even want to get into that, it's expensive.
Going to go back tomorrow with my own setup and headphones and compare em again.

I just got a nexus 6p and I don't know what the head fi thread on the nexus 6p is on about. It sounds perfectly fine and the thread makes it sound like it's unlistenable.

Very slight grain and distortion but perfectly serviceable as a dap.

Still looking to get an onkyo dp-x1 as a standalone dap.
Garage 1217 sells my amp, the Project Polaris. It has all sorts of settings to accommodate pretty much any headphones except maybe HE-6s.

The biggest overall difference in my chain was the Schiit Bifrost MultiBit DAC that I just got. It's an R2R amp with a patented filter that doesn't destroy the original samples like Delta-Sigma DACs. It seriously brings tears to my eyes! I've been rediscovering all my music since I got it last Tuesday. The sound is seriously holophonic and the sound now has a third dimension and shape that it has never had before.

My main headphones are the HiFiMan HE-500. Amazing (but heavy) planar magnetic, open backed headphones. The sound stage has really opened up since I upgraded the DAC and amp. The sound stage is still very intimate with the HE-500, though. Female vocals sound like a beautiful (or at least beautifully voiced) woman is singing directly into your soul.

How do you find the weight?

The only thing is I have to be careful when looking down or up, so they don't slide off my head! Other than that I find them comfortable, though not as comfy as my 400i or hd650. The weight is noticeable, though not an issue for me.

If you like the 400i a lot I would think you'd have your eyes set on the HE-560 rather than the LCD-2 as the next logical upgrade.

I did a lot of research on the 560. The consensus was that it had less bass quantity of the 400i and a hotter treble, which are mostly deal breakers for me.

HE-500 brings the mids (vocals). Sparkles a bit, but treble isn't harsh - generally considered a warm headphone, but not veiled like the HD650 or as warm as the LCD-2. The soundstage is narrow, but deep, especially with the right DAC and amp.

The only thing is I have to be careful when looking down or up, so they don't slide off my head! Other than that I find them comfortable, though not as comfy as my 400i or hd650. The weight is noticeable, though not an issue for me.

I did a lot of research on the 560. The consensus was that it had less bass quantity of the 400i and a hotter treble, which are mostly deal breakers for me.
Use removable glue to add an HD650 headband inlay and get either Focus Pads, HM5, or Alpha Dog pads to increase comfort.

HE-500 brings the mids (vocals). Sparkles a bit, but treble isn't harsh - generally considered a warm headphone, but not veiled like the HD650 or as warm as the LCD-2. The soundstage is narrow, but deep, especially with the right DAC and amp.

I looked at getting the 500 but most were pretty well used in the classifieds. At least with the LCD-2, I can return them if I want as well.

Use removable glue to add an HD650 headband inlay and get either Focus Pads, HM5, or Alpha Dog pads to increase comfort.

I find the comfort to be fine for me, the pads are super soft and squishy.

EDIT: Just went back to my 400i this morning after using the LCD-2 almost exclusively the past couple days. The 400i sound dryer than I remember. I guess I was getting used to the warm Audeze sound. There is something about the mids that are different between these two plus the hd650. I can't put my finger on it, any help guys? What is the difference I'm hearing?

I'm thinking the mids are just a little recessed on the LCD-2 compared to the 400i (and especially the hd650).

HiResDes

I've never heard anyone refer to the 560 treble as hot. But if you just want more bass and are okay with dark sounding headphones maybe the Nighthawk are worth a look.

I've never heard anyone refer to the 560 treble as hot. But if you just want more bass and are okay with dark sounding headphones maybe the Nighthawk are worth a look.

The bass on the 400i and LCD-2 are about perfect for me, any more would be too much. Though any less would be...less than perfect for me I guess. Most impressions I read about the 560 say that the treble has more energy than the 400i and can be particularly harsh at times.

So MEE's stab at the hi(gher)-end looks pretty dope.

http://www.meeaudio.com/pinnacle

Hope it's a winner at the price since they look pretty comfy/stately in appearance.

That aside, apparently the Fostex TE-02 (N and WP) are extremely good at their price points ($30 and $20 shipped on Amazon). Was talking to James444 and apparently the N is pretty similar to the Dunu DN2KJ/Titan (Very analytical/fast and flat bass, not quite as harsh as either DUNU) and the WP somewhat similar to a (mid)bassier UERM. Really tempted to hop on the WP since it's only $20 but I have way too much shit as it is at the moment so thought I'd pass that tidbit along.

Ended up ordering some Sennheiser Momentum in ears. I have a pair of Shure SE215s but I struggle to adjust to the over the ear design. They're great for sitting in bed or working at the desk but I hate the hassle of them when walking across campus.

Antiwhippy

There is no such thing as a publicly wearable open backed headphone.

Probably look at closed backs or iems for portable use.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Is the hifiman 400i wearable in public? I travel a lot. And is there any decent alternative to Hifiman 400i?

In that price range, the OPPO PM-3 is one that'd be great for travel. It's incredibly light for a planar magnetic headphone. Also easy to transport.

Read some reviews, see if its sound signature is for you.

leng jai

I think I've come to the realisation that I'm finally sick of IEMs. Barely use my SE535s since I use public transport about once a year but when I do my ears get sore and feel half blocked afterwards for a while.

Antiwhippy

That either sounds like you either need to turn down your volume or you need to use tips that don't give you a vacuum seal.

Also I don't think the se535 has vents does it? It only uses ba drivers. Which is why I tend to not like pure ba based iems too. Most of them are built to give you a vacuum seal for better isolation but I dislike the feel of vacuum seals.

Bloodember

What would be a good IEM that doesn't isolate so I can hear around me that's under $200. Keep in mind I listen mostly to korean, Japanese and American pop music.

Tommy DJ

Peaks and dips of the HE-560 have some people find it a little hot in the upper midrange and treble. The magnitude isn't signficant but like some Audeze headphones, the unevenness may make certain regions sound subjectively loud.

Despite that, I don't think the HE-560 or HE-6 have any issues since everyone just uses one of the very well documented modifications to get what they want out of them. They're really good headphones with a metric ton of objective and subjective modifications. Like I don't think I've seen many HE-6s that weren't modded.

Servbot24

Banned
Is the hifiman 400i wearable in public? I travel a lot. And is there any decent alternative to Hifiman 400i?

Sure, as much as any other over-ear I suppose. It's not too heavy if that's what you mean.

For what it's worth I have the 400i and a Schiit stack and I feel like it's a good end point for my audiophile-lite journey. Until I get a big raise or something I guess. :p

Bloodember

Dunu Titan1

Thanks, Ok I'm looking at the Titan1's and see the Titan3 and Titan5. The Titan3 seem to be for vocals and the Titan5 seems to be good for a lot of things. I'm liking the replaceable cable on the Titan3 and Titan5. Which one would be for what I listen too. I do like my vocals front and center, so thinking Titan3. What do you think? Anyone else can chime in as well. Also what is the differences between the Titan1, 3, and 5. If the Titan1 is what I should get instead then that's what I'll get.

Antiwhippy

I think the new titan line did improve the isolation, which might not be what you're looking for.

For vocals though from what I've read you should probably go for the titan 3.

Maybe you can go the earbud (which naturally isolates less) route and get a VE Zen 2.0.

Blitzhex

Can anyone compare the alpha pads to the new pads on lcd fazors in terms of feel, texture and leathery smell? I really love the leather pads on the lcd2f. I'm planning to get some alpha pads with the th-x00 when they drop next. I'm a leather freak.

I asked this on AV Forums, may as well try here as well:

Fiio E10K or Fiio E12A?

I'm new to dedicated headphone amps, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. What would you recommend? I will be using one or the other with a pair of AKG K7xx's and my old Audio Technica ATH A500's. I mostly listen to heavy metal and electronic/synthwave if that makes a difference.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I asked this on AV Forums, may as well try here as well:

Fiio E10K or Fiio E12A?

I'm new to dedicated headphone amps, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. What would you recommend? I will be using one or the other with a pair of AKG K7xx's and my old Audio Technica ATH A500's. I mostly listen to heavy metal and electronic/synthwave if that makes a difference.

E10K = USB DAC with no internal battery, used with PC exclusively

E12A = portable amp with internal battery, daisy chained with phone, PC, or whatever

Literally 2 different devices for 2 different usage scenarios.

E10K = USB DAC with no internal battery, used with PC exclusively

E12A = portable amp with internal battery, daisy chained with phone, PC, or whatever

Literally 2 different devices for 2 different usage scenarios.

I realise this, but they can both be used for what I would need them for. I wouldn't be using the E12A with a phone or anything, only a Macbook Pro and PC, so it would be powered via USB when needed and the E10K is specifically powered via USB.

I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the sound of either. Considering they are both budget amps, I wouldn't expect much, but they must be better than my Xonar DG in my pc and on board Macbook audio.

I realise this, but they can both be used for what I would need them for. I wouldn't be using the E12A with a phone or anything, only a Macbook Pro and PC, so it would be powered via USB when needed and the E10K is specifically powered via USB.

I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the sound of either. Considering they are both budget amps, I wouldn't expect much, but they must be better than my Xonar DG in my pc and on board Macbook audio.

I'm not familiar with Mac, but don't they have decent dacs inside of them? The e12 should outclass the amp section of the e10k. The e12 does NOT have a dac built in.

Speaking of the HD650, if you shop at Amazon a lot, they have it for $500 with a $200 gift card.

Fantastic deal if one does a lot of amazon shopping.

What is the general consensus on IE80s? The last two pairs of in ears I've tried were uncomfortable and not up to snuff with audio (Shure SE215s and Momentums).

HiResDes

What is the general consensus on IE80s? The last two pairs of in ears I've tried were uncomfortable and not up to snuff with audio (Shure SE215s and Momentums).
IE80s won't be any better really, greater expense doesn't necessarily equate to better comfort. Maybe you'll find all universal IEMs to be uncomfortable, they're not for everybody. If you really think it's specific to the ones you recently purchased then you need to pinpoint what made them uncomfortable to you. Maybe try out something small and unobtrusive like the Trinity Hyperion, Aurisonic Rockets, Klipsch X10 or Vsonic VC01

IE80s won't be any better really, greater expense doesn't necessarily equate to better comfort. Maybe you'll find all universal IEMs to be uncomfortable, they're not for everybody. If you really think it's specific to the ones you recently purchased then you need to pinpoint what made them uncomfortable to you. Maybe try out something small and unobtrusive like the Trinity Hyperion, Aurisonic Rockets or Vsonic VC01

I had just read they excelled in comfort. The issue I have with the Momentums is they hurt my ears after thirty minutes. The SE215s didn't hurt my ears, but they broke after three months of use.

HiResDes

I had just read they excelled in comfort. The issue I have with the Momentums is they hurt my ears after thirty minutes. The SE215s didn't hurt my ears, but they broke after three months of use.
There's nothing about the IE80s designs that really sets them apart comfort wise.

Antiwhippy

If durability is a concern the rockets are a good shout. Less bassy than the other 2 you mention though I think (never heard the 215).

Antiwhippy

Amazon has a return policy don't they? So not too much risk in case you don't like them.

Aurisonics also has a 5 year warranty on them.

Top Bottom