• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Cad-Monkey

Neo Member
I've been using and enjoying a pair of Sony mdr-v6 the past few years. I'd like to step up to a better headphone, or one better suited to my primary uses (gaming and movies). I thought I had a winner in the ATH-MSR7 (150 locally) but the clamp force was just too much, so back to the search.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-mostly used for single player games and movies (music occasionally)
-used with pc, 13 year old onkyo reciever, and some ps vita
-detachable cable would be nice, but need at least a 3m cable
-I'm open to closed or open back, but needs to be over-ear
-used 3-4 hours at a time
-I don't really want a headphone that requires an amp

As far as budget goes, I'd like to keep it under $150, but I'm willing to go up to $200 (or slightly more) if the gains are worth it.

LQX

I've been using and enjoying a pair of Sony mdr-v6 the past few years. I'd like to step up to a better headphone, or one better suited to my primary uses (gaming and movies). I thought I had a winner in the ATH-MSR7 (150 locally) but the clamp force was just too much, so back to the search.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-mostly used for single player games and movies (music occasionally)
-used with pc, 13 year old onkyo reciever, and some ps vita
-detachable cable would be nice, but need at least a 3m cable
-I'm open to closed or open back, but needs to be over-ear
-used 3-4 hours at a time
-I don't really want a headphone that requires an amp

As far as budget goes, I'd like to keep it under $150, but I'm willing to go up to $200 (or slightly more) if the gains are worth it.

Sennheiser HD 598 seems perfect as it meets all your requirements. Movies and games sound amazing on it. One of the most comfortable headphones you will ever wear and it does not take much to drive them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Decided on buying the NAD HP20's. Really love their sound, think I'm gonna enjoy this for a good while. Might get the HP50 alongside them at some point later this year for home use mostly.

And I can retire my AKG Q460 now. They were already falling apart slowly after a good four years of use.

Do you like the red ones? I'd probably sell you mine.

You aren't going to like what I'm about to say, but Amazon had them on sale at one point for $98.
raw

The Backbeat Pro looks fantastic as well. Ughh I don't know what to get now.

Cad-Monkey

Neo Member
Sennheiser HD 598 seems perfect as it meets all your requirements. Movies and games sound amazing on it. One of the most comfortable headphones you will ever wear and it does not take much to drive them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I saw the ivory version at a local store, but it was hard to get a good feel for them because the cord was too damn short. I'll have to give them a closer look. Any recommendations on a more portable set or a closed back option?

Karish

Hmmmm, they're $150 and it has great reviews. Do you have a list of headphones that I can choose from?

Backbeat Pro (never tried but everyone raves)
Backbeat Sense (on ear version of the above)
950BT
770BN (Sony as well, I think that's the model)
Airfi Matrix 2 (HM5 pads fit these)
Jabra Move
Jabra Revo (ultimately the ones I went with after trying many)

Blitzhex

Question about Beyerdynamic models. Will a dt880 32ohm for example sound the as the 250 and 600 ohm versions if I have an amp that can do all of them well?

LQX

I saw the ivory version at a local store, but it was hard to get a good feel for them because the cord was too damn short. I'll have to give them a closer look. Any recommendations on a more portable set or a closed back option?

Portable, closed, bass heavy...

V-MODA Crossfade M-80. (on-ear, small with case)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9UKKS0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (folds)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVLUR86/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If I had to choose I would go with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. They sound just as good as the HD 598 with games and movies but they are closed and have a lot more bass. Not as comfortable though but you can buy new velour ear-pads.

Blitzhex

I'd definitely go for the 250 or 600OHM if you have the ability to amp them well.

My friend is lending me his dt880 32ohm for an extended period, just to see how they sound and how they compare to my k7xx. Was wondering if I would getting lesser experience with the 32s.

terrible

Banned
My friend is lending me his dt880 32ohm for an extended period, just to see how they sound and how they compare to my k7xx. Was wondering if I would getting lesser experience with the 32s.

I don't like my DT880s (600 ohms) anymore. It'll be interesting to see what you think of them. They're one of my least favourite pairs of headphones I own. I should probably get rid of them. I even prefer my DT990 Pros over them since they at least excel in genres that benefit from exaggerated bass.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh gosh. Uh, up to 150, earbud or in ear would work. I just want good sound quality. I'd like some sort of controls for my phone as well.

For stuff I've heard:

Trinity Hyperion: nice, slightly V sound with clear mids and fun, fat midbass, but peaks in the treble can make that region sound harsh and metallic. The best I've heard at its price range.

Aurisonic eva (the rockets might be at the same price?): Mids mids mids. Not for the basshead though.

Stuff I've haven't heard but am reasonable confident that they don't sound terrible:

Zero audio carbo tenore, ostry kc06a: budget kings, but I haven't heard them.

Trinity delta: from what I've heard it's basically a refinement of the hyperions. Fun slight V shape sound (bass and treble basically). Comes with filters for sound tuning.

Flare r2a: orange version seems to be on sale ATM on Amazon for that price. From what I know it's a very neutral sound, with fun mod potential but the cable is prone to fraying just due to the way it is constructed.

Dartastic

For stuff I've heard:

Trinity Hyperion: nice, slightly V sound with clear mids and fun, fat midbass, but peaks in the treble can make that region sound harsh and metallic. The best I've heard at its price range.

Aurisonic eva (the rockets might be at the same price?): Mids mids mids. Not for the basshead though.

Stuff I've haven't heard but am reasonable confident that they don't sound terrible:

Zero audio carbo tenore, ostry kc06a: budget kings, but I haven't heard them.

Trinity delta: from what I've heard it's basically a refinement of the hyperions. Fun slight V shape sound (bass and treble basically). Comes with filters for sound tuning.

Flare r2a: orange version seems to be on sale ATM on Amazon for that price. From what I know it's a very neutral sound, with fun mod potential but the cable is prone to fraying just due to the way it is constructed.
Thanks for all the advice! What do you think about the Sennheiser momentum? I was thinking that maybe I should spring for those. The Hyperion seems to be out of stock on Amazon, which is lame...

Any suggestions for a Schiit AMP for HD 650s and HD800s? People keep saying to go for the valhalla or the lyr but I have other cans like the M50s, 598s, and would like to branch out into some other brands. I don't want to get an amp that is really only one type of can. Any suggestions?

DagsJT

Any suggestions for a Schiit AMP for HD 650s and HD800s? People keep saying to go for the valhalla or the lyr but I have other cans like the M50s, 598s, and would like to branch out into some other brands. I don't want to get an amp that is really only one type of can. Any suggestions?

The Vali is meant to match well and is pretty cheap now. I got mine for £75.

Antiwhippy

Thanks for all the advice! What do you think about the Sennheiser momentum? I was thinking that maybe I should spring for those. The Hyperion seems to be out of stock on Amazon, which is lame...

They sound like pretty solid choices. Never heard them though but they have a good reputation.

Antiwhippy

FLC8s on massdrop now. Seems like it's another one of their grey market deals that isn't coming from the official manufacturer, plus LMUE had it cheaper before.

Kind of want it, but I'm trying to get out of this hell where all I buy are 1DD 2BA hybrids.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
FLC8s on massdrop now. Seems like it's another one of their grey market deals that isn't coming from the official manufacturer, plus LMUE had it cheaper before.

Kind of want it, but I'm trying to get out of this hell where all I buy are 1DD 2BA hybrids.

Had I not just ordered the Dash...

The Lyr 2 can match up with a bunch of different types of phones. Can even roll LISST "tubes" to make it a solid state.

The Valhalla would not work well with phones like your M50 and HD598.

Project Polaris is supposed to have some great synergy with the hd650 and has plenty of power for the hd800.

Fox1304

Hey Guys, do you know if the B&O H6 is similar in shape and ear space to the Bose QC25 ? Or more like the Momentum, that is around ear but still pushes the eary anyway ?

Antiwhippy

Got my linum bax in! It's so light and comfortable. I'm honestly impressed by it. On the other hand, its so thin and strong that I feel like it's going to slice through my ears if it ever got caught onto a really strong force.

Blitzhex

I don't like my DT880s (600 ohms) anymore. It'll be interesting to see what you think of them. They're one of my least favourite pairs of headphones I own. I should probably get rid of them. I even prefer my DT990 Pros over them since they at least excel in genres that benefit from exaggerated bass.

Ran the dt880 32ohm and k7xx off the vali2 just now, low gain 1 ohm output impedance. First thing I heard on the dt880 was much louder noise during the quiet parts in songs compared to the k7xx. Like the intro in Daft Punk - Something About Us, for example, but there's no noise when songs are paused. Kinda enjoyed the sharper treble on the dt880, cymbals and guitars in metal sound more engaging. Male vocals don't sound as full as on the k7xx and the bass sounded similar.

Overall, the k7xx is warmer, more laidback and has a larger soundstage compared to it. more enveloping and immersive. I much prefer the sound signature of the k7xx for all the music I listen to like 80s metal, synthwave and bossa nova. I wouldn't pay $200 for the dt880s when the k7xx exist.

Looking for a headphone with slightly more sub-bass, more bass impact and a bit more treble than the k7xx next. TH-X00 perhaps?

HiResDes

I don't see them having more treble actually.

If you want more of a V-shaped sound and wanted more open headphones I think the DT990, Soundmagic HP200, HE-400 (not the i or S) and Fischer Audio FA-011 would be suitable.

DagsJT

I feel like the K7xx is a little too bright for my liking, I think I prefer the X2 sound a bit more. Does the HD650 sound warmer than the K7xx?

HiResDes

I feel like the K7xx is a little too bright for my liking, I think I prefer the X2 sound a bit more. Does the HD650 sound warmer than the K7xx?

Hell yeah. A little too similar to the X2 to warrant buying though in my opinion. When amped properly though I do think the midrange is a bit better than the X2, but owning both is kind of a waste.

DagsJT

Hell yeah. A little too similar to the X2 to warrant buying though in my opinion. When amped properly though I do think the midrange is a bit better than the X2, but owning both is kind of a waste.

I've only got the K7xx at the moment, though I did have some X2's which I sold as they were just too heavy.

Antiwhippy

That's cool, I've always wanted one because I really like the hyperions and the tuning system sounds neat, but I couldn't justify more earphones.

terrible

Banned
Ran the dt880 32ohm and k7xx off the vali2 just now, low gain 1 ohm output impedance. First thing I heard on the dt880 was much louder noise during the quiet parts in songs compared to the k7xx. Like the intro in Daft Punk - Something About Us, for example, but there's no noise when songs are paused. Kinda enjoyed the sharper treble on the dt880, cymbals and guitars in metal sound more engaging. Male vocals don't sound as full as on the k7xx and the bass sounded similar.

Overall, the k7xx is warmer, more laidback and has a larger soundstage compared to it. more enveloping and immersive. I much prefer the sound signature of the k7xx for all the music I listen to like 80s metal, synthwave and bossa nova. I wouldn't pay $200 for the dt880s when the k7xx exist.

Looking for a headphone with slightly more sub-bass, more bass impact and a bit more treble than the k7xx next. TH-X00 perhaps?

Sounds like the audio equivalent of a sharpness filter has been applied when using the DT880s I find. People describe them as being really detailed but they don't sound natural to me. I'm also not a fan of the soundstage, everything just sounds far away. I can't really place instruments well even with really good recordings either. I'm not sure why I used to like them.

Just from what I've read the HE-400's sound like they could be what you're looking for. I haven't tried them personally though.

I've only got the K7xx at the moment, though I did have some X2's which I sold as they were just too heavy.

Sounds like the hd650 would be a great headphone for you then. Personally, I found the hd650 to be superior to the X2 in most regards. Soundstage and bass quantity would be the only points I'd give to the X2 over the hd650.

In other news, I've got my LCD-2's sitting on my head for the first time right now. They really are heavy, though the weight itself doesn't seem to bother me...yet. I do have to be careful if I look up or down though lol.

obin_gam

The connection in my Xperia Z3C is a bit faulty nowadays. When I move the connection gets lost and the music pauses constantly.

So, I'm thinking I need a bluetooth headphone. What's the best/most reliable of them? Prefferably on-ear. What matters is the connection quality (ie. not jump or skip etc) and that I can listen for at least 10 hours or so.

Blitzhex

Sounds like the audio equivalent of a sharpness filter has been applied when using the DT880s I find. People describe them as being really detailed but they don't sound natural to me. I'm also not a fan of the soundstage, everything just sounds far away. I can't really place instruments well even with really good recordings either. I'm not sure why I used to like them.

Just from what I've read the HE-400's sound like they could be what you're looking for. I haven't tried them personally though.

Hmm yeah, maybe planar is what I'm after. Never heard one before though.

I can get a used LCD2f locally for ~550usd. Don't know if I should do it. It's pretty cheap for a LCD2 and the seller is well known here, but that's still a lot of money to spend on a headphone for me.

Blitzhex

Well, it's sold already. It was a good deal I think.
Now I'm really interested on how they sound. I've always thought they were the best looking headphones as well. Going to hunt some stores for auditioning.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
So I like to play games, music and watch movies. What would you guys recommend? Right now I have 2011 Astro A40s with the 2011 MixAmp.

Let us say I want to get rid of those altogether, what would I need to do?

Should I get a different MixAmp or keep that one?

What headphones should I get? Does not matter if it is open or closed. From what I heard, open is better so I guess open is a bit more favored.

For price ranges, can you guys show me a pair of headphones > 200 and a pair 200 <?

And in regards to a MixAmp, I have no clue. What is best for playing video games, music and watching movies I guess. I play on Xbox and PS so those are my platforms.

From what I have learned simulated surround is bad, correct? If that is so, then I want to get away from that altogether. If that is the case, for the meantime, should I disable the surround sound button from my astro mixamp? Educate me please!

Also I know I can get a clip on mic so I am not even worried if the headphones have one or not. Give me something that provides me quality audio.

EDIT#2: Instead of give, I guess show and educate me on so.

EthanC

Banned
So I like to play games, music and watch movies. What would you guys recommend? Right now I have 2011 Astro A40s with the 2011 MixAmp.

What headphones should I get? Does not matter if it is open or closed. From what I heard, open is better so I guess open is a bit more favored.

For price ranges, can you guys show me a pair of headphones > 200 and a pair 200 <?

And in regards to a MixAmp, I have no clue. What is best for playing video games, music and watching movies I guess. I play on Xbox and PS so those are my platforms.

From what I have learned simulated surround is bad, correct? If that is so, then I want to get away from that altogether. If that is the case, for the meantime, should I disable the surround sound button from my astro mixamp? Educate me please!

Also I know I can get a clip on mic so I am not even worried if the headphones have one or not. Give me something that provides me quality audio.

I use a V-moda M100 with a Boompro mic. It's not a clip on mic. It's an excellent mic that is built onto the wire that runs from the M100 to the Xbox or PS controller, or to a mixamp. The M100 is 215 at Amazon. The Boompro is 20-30 bucks.

HiResDes

MAD ENVY said:
Umm, once virtual surround is added in the signal, you absolutely can't remove it from the signal, so it's NOT a lie. You can add 100 amps to the chain, and virtual surround will still remain.

Using the Mixamp as a pre-amp to another amp is the only legitimate way to power harder to drive headphones, while maintaining the Dolby processing the Mixamp provides. Try using an HE-4 with the Mixamp only. I dare you. Then try again with a legit amp attached to the Mixamp.

We double amp because IT WORKS. It is especially important when making the Mixamp drive both headphone and microphones. The Mixamp takes a steep dive in volume when doing so. Using an external amp to power a headphone, while letting the Mixamp power the microphone a bit more is the only way to get a proper decibel level for both, when the headphone is hard to drive, like the K701.

The Mixamp is made for 32ohm headphones (i.e. A40s). It does it's best with low impedance. However, that isn't the only factor. It doesn't do a great job with harder to drive low impedance headphones like the Beyer DT880 and 990 32ohms which are known to be harder to power than the 250ohm variants, though they do get louder.

So basically:

Source (i.e. PS3 or 360) - Mixamp - Headphone Amp - Headphone

if using a mic:

Source - Mixamp - Y cable (one end for chat, one for audio) - Mic on chat end, headphone Amp on the audio end - Headphone

You mainly want the Mixamp nearly maxed out on the volume knob, and control volume with your headphone amp.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 12/15/12 at 9:34am

I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 990 250 OHM (but they'd definitely sound better if you use the mixamp as a preamp for a more robust amp)

But if you just wanna use your mixamp then go with the Phillips X2 or Sennheiser HD 598 if you can't afford the X2

Top Bottom