• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Sure. I got a pair of 598SE from them last week and they may as well be new. The only bummer is the shorter cable wasn't included, only the longer one. I got Amazon to credit me $16 for the missing cable and was able to buy an aftermarket shorter cable with the added benefit of being nylon wrapped and 3.5mm.
Interesting. Well I guess I should jump on the deal then since I don't think the 950 b/t will get that low.
My 6p is on backorder, so it hasn't shipped yet.

I rarely listen to music when I'm out and about, so my primary listening is done on my desktop setup with a Modi Uber and Vali 2.

If I do use them away from home, I've got a phonak IEM I use with my Fiio X1.
Ah, I see. I want to listen to music using my 6P while I'm heading to school and I was wondering how well the DAC in it is.

Been using Senn Amperiors in every situation for about a year now, and I've been really satisfied with them. I decided to get in on the Massdrop offer for the Fostex TH-X00's, and that's my first purchase anywhere near that price range. Was considering the HD650, but I dunno, maybe I'll change my mind later. Either way, it's time to get a good desktop DAC/AMP that I won't need to replace any time soon. Any suggestions, or thoughts on the TH-X00's?

Blitzhex

Been using Senn Amperiors in every situation for about a year now, and I've been really satisfied with them. I decided to get in on the Massdrop offer for the Fostex TH-X00's, and that's my first purchase anywhere near that price range. Was considering the HD650, but I dunno, maybe I'll change my mind later. Either way, it's time to get a good desktop DAC/AMP that I won't need to replace any time soon. Any suggestions, or thoughts on the TH-X00's?

o2/odac from massdrop can pretty much run anything, or a schiit uber stack if you want optical input and a preamp. It's best to go solid state for your first amp.
My Th-x00 isn't here yet so I can't really tell, but fostex TH headphones are said to not really need an amp.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It seems like just yesterday the cheapest ciems were $600+

May have to look into getting myself a pair at these prices.

It's definitely not the cheapest custom you can get. Customart and cosmic ears do single BA customs that are cheaper, and AAW definitely have cheaper models.

I seem to be married to single DD + dual BA hybrids for whatever reason.

o2/odac from massdrop can pretty much run anything, or a schiit uber stack if you want optical input and a preamp. It's best to go solid state for your first amp.
My Th-x00 isn't here yet so I can't really tell, but fostex TH headphones are said to not really need an amp.

He's spot on. Either will be more than enough.

Thank you! From what I've seen the o2/odac went for 200 last time, so that's definitely tempting in the case that they do another drop for that anytime soon. The Fostex headphones aren't projected to come in until May, so I don't have to decide just yet. Schiit's offerings are pretty nice as well, with the possibility of optical input, but that's not anything that's completely necessary as much as it would just make some things a little more convenient. Definitely going to keep an eye on both, so thank you for the recommendations.

Antiwhippy

I'm not sure, but I recall someone around here using a 6p if I recall correctly.

I do. It does pretty well, though it's not the best smartphone I've heard, but the differences are so razor thin it really doesn't matter. Also I get a lot of emi/rfi recently coming on randomly, which is annoying the hell out of me. Might just be an issue with my unit though.

Finally got my frequency response graph for my (now sold) LCD-2.2f. Only took Audeze almost an entire month to get it too me (took them 3 weeks just to respond and another week to get me the graph).

m0QZp0Man1cj8VFdI2DtGzHVW

I do. It does pretty well, though it's not the best smartphone I've heard, but the differences are so razor thin it really doesn't matter. Also I get a lot of emi/rfi recently coming on randomly, which is annoying the hell out of me. Might just be an issue with my unit though.

How do you like your 6p as an android phone overall? Just ordered one myself while the gold version is on sale.

Antiwhippy

Other than the EMI/RFI (which turned into a real problem after the latest patch so I'm hoping it's a software thing) it's probably the best android phone I've ever owned. At least I can isolate my audio signal by routing it to the mojo.

Blitzhex

Finally got my frequency response graph for my (now sold) LCD-2.2f. Only took Audeze almost an entire month to get it too me (took them 3 weeks just to respond and another week to get me the graph).

How do you like your 6p as an android phone overall? Just ordered one myself while the gold version is on sale.

Where'd you buy one for $650 new anyways?
I wouldn't mind buying one for that price.

Other than the EMI/RFI (which turned into a real problem after the latest patch so I'm hoping it's a software thing) it's probably the best android phone I've ever owned. At least I can isolate my audio signal by routing it to the mojo.

That's not good. So you get feedback into your headphones when plugged directly into the 6p?

Antiwhippy

It's actually not too bad on it's own, but when I stick the mojo to the back it transfers the EMI/RFI like crazy, so I just listen to it without the mojo too close to it. On its own you can hear faint clicking from time to time, which is mostly drowned out by music but somewhat bothersome if it appears during quiet passages.

Like I said, could just be my unit. I can't find many other reports about it having alot of RFI.

Where'd you buy one for $650 new anyways?
I wouldn't mind buying one for that price.

Got a bundle from adorama that came with an iFi dsd that I was going to sell for $350. It was on backorder though with no stock in sight so they just charged me $662 for the headphones.

It's actually not too bad on it's own, but when I stick the mojo to the back it transfers the EMI/RFI like crazy, so I just listen to it without the mojo too close to it. On its own you can hear faint clicking from time to time, which is mostly drowned out by music but somewhat bothersome if it appears during quiet passages.

Like I said, could just be my unit. I can't find many other reports about it having alot of RFI.

Good to know, thanks. The 6p is on backorder and I've been considering just picking up a regular 6 for $272 on amazon warehouse deals.

Yes. In my experience they are literally like new
Did the listing state that it came with some sort of cosmetic damage? Very slight, if any?
I've read some of your responses and it could be a software issue. I haven't updated to 6.0.1 yet because I feared for issues like this happening.

Karish

Did the listing state that it came with some sort of cosmetic damage? Very slight, if any?

I've read some of your responses and it could be a software issue. I haven't updated to 6.0.1 yet because I feared for issues like this happening.

Zero. it's repackaged from a return/

Audeze customer service is LOL-Awful! I wrote about not being able to find the EL-8 Titanium available 3-4 WEEKS ago. No response until earlier this week. I wrote back and said, 'I already bought the Oppo PM-3, this response was way too late.'

These are pretty. May finally try an AKG.
Please be $500 or less.

That's what I'm hoping for. I wonder if a future tx00 would get the new connectors.

Audeze customer service is LOL-Awful! I wrote about not being able to find the EL-8 Titanium available 3-4 WEEKS ago. No response until earlier this week. I wrote back and said, 'I already bought the Oppo PM-3, this response was way too late.'

They were helpful and all, just takes forever to respond. They probably just need to hire more service reps.

Antiwhippy

So what do people think of the dt990 for $219? Used to be fairly interested in Beyer stuff, but I've heard that they are brighter than the sun.

Antiwhippy

Granted I actually like those headphones (other than grado pads being the worst thing conceived by man) but yeah, probably not. I think I'll just maybe get a TH-X00 one day.

Are you happy with your mojo? Am thinking of investing to run with my phone. My IEM is the Savant and wonder if the mojo will bring more to the table

Pretty frustrating that there is nowhere local in my area where I can actually test the headphones out I am interested in, especially the more high end models. Guess headphones are not quite in demand like other products in electronic stores? The selection in the very few stores I have near me is a legitimate joke. Very few brands. I just wanted to obviously compare sound before making a decision and I will probably have to go by reviews and word of mouth online instead.

I think the AD700X/AD900X or the HD598's are still going to be the ones I go for. Thought about the Beyer DT990's also. I really thought about the Audio Technica M50X's, but seems like the mare more for music instead of gaming. Sure, they will still sound really good though. Any other open headphones I should consider for gaming primarily, followed by movies and then music in that price range? Admittedly, I do not play a lot of games competitively, but I would imagine a wide sound stage would be sufficient for a game like Tomb Raider, Until Dawn, RPG's, Alien Isolation or even fighting games in general?

Anyone think those headphones I listed would sound good coming through the first model DSS 7.1 EarForce? I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, but I think my Silver PS4 headset, XBox Stereo headset and Sennheiser HD205 all sound quite impressive though the EarForce considering the price I paid for everything. I hear a big difference when I use it compared to just plugging it in through the controller or even my AV receiver. Thought maybe I will go ahead and finally try out some more high end audiophile headphones to see if I notice an admirable to substantial difference in sound quality like many people are saying. I just really want to make the right decision because I do not like returning stuff, especially online.

Antiwhippy

Are you happy with your mojo? Am thinking of investing to run with my phone. My IEM is the Savant and wonder if the mojo will bring more to the table

Hmm, I don't know actually. I find it harder to recommend dac/amps, especially if it's for running IEMs, because they aren't hard to drive. Unless the savants are hissing like a snake from your phone, which the mojo would be better about creating a quieter/blacker background. It's an improvement, but moreso in tonality than hearing extra details/wider soundstage/any other malarkey the reviews will have you believe. Tighter sound in certain areas, but it's not going to be a night day difference if you focus in on one aspect, Taking the sound as a whole though I find it to be an improvement.

Whether it's worth the money and extra inconvenience for that improvement, well, I find it hard to say. Especially at this price which is breaching mid-fi and into hi-fi. But that's my problem with most TOTL dacs and amps is that I usually don't find the improvements to be worth the asking price, and the mojo is pushing it.

What pushed me over the edge was that it is more versatile too, working equally well in a desktop setup and a portable setup. In the desktop environment I could have bought a schiit stack for what I want to do at around 60% of the price, but I would be unable to take it with me on the go, and the mojo's output impedance makes it more appropriate for IEMs while having enough power to drive the tougher headphones out there.

So seeing that I don't really find most DAC/amps upgrades worth it I've decided that the mojo will most likely to be my last one for a long, long time. The total package is very convenient for me, it's got a tonality I find more natural, doesn't have the glare that I find it most sabre dacs, and I find areas of the sound more articulate.

HiResDes

If you spend all your time comparing and contrasting headphones you're gonna drive yourself crazy. Just jump in general impressions for headphones as old as the ones you're talking about are fairly accurate. The audio technica and Sennheiser 598 open headphones are relatively weak bass especially in comparison to most mainstream headphones so keep that in my mind.

Hmm, I don't know actually. I find it harder to recommend dac/amps, especially if it's for running IEMs, because they aren't hard to drive. Unless the savants are hissing like a snake from your phone, which the mojo would be better about creating a quieter/blacker background. It's an improvement, but moreso in tonality than hearing extra details/wider soundstage/any other malarkey the reviews will have you believe. Tighter sound in certain areas, but it's not going to be a night day difference if you focus in on one aspect, Taking the sound as a whole though I find it to be an improvement.

Whether it's worth the money and extra inconvenience for that improvement, well, I find it hard to say. Especially at this price which is breaching mid-fi and into hi-fi. But that's my problem with most TOTL dacs and amps is that I usually don't find the improvements to be worth the asking price, and the mojo is pushing it.

What pushed me over the edge was that it is more versatile too, working equally well in a desktop setup and a portable setup. In the desktop environment I could have bought a schiit stack for what I want to do at around 60% of the price, but I would be unable to take it with me on the go, and the mojo's output impedance makes it more appropriate for IEMs while having enough power to drive the tougher headphones out there.

So seeing that I don't really find most DAC/amps upgrades worth it I've decided that the mojo will most likely to be my last one for a long, long time. The total package is very convenient for me, it's got a tonality I find more natural, doesn't have the glare that I find it most sabre dacs, and I find areas of the sound more articulate.

Thanks for that. Right now am in a very happy place with my phone and Savant. Am right this second listening to a concerto and the instruments are so pure and it's like standing on the stage with the musicians.

However I download extreme quality from Spotify and don't see us upgrading to another streaming service and doubt buying more CDs is a real option for me. However I am in genuine delight with my current set up and if the mojo can improve the SQ then I might be tempted. However I would definitely try first.

Either that or go for the Fiio X7 again another huge expense and more to carry. That and using 320kps might not bring any advantage to what I have.

Still no rush needed and will see where I end up, many hours of listening are ahead and right now am very happy

Antiwhippy

I use spotify and google music mostly nowadays, doesn't really matter as long as the encoding is good which it usually is.

X7 I was considering but I like just controlling one device for everything on the go. Also the initial firmware seems buggy as fuuuuuuuck.

Pretty frustrating that there is nowhere local in my area where I can actually test the headphones out I am interested in, especially the more high end models. Guess headphones are not quite in demand like other products in electronic stores? The selection in the very few stores I have near me is a legitimate joke. Very few brands. I just wanted to obviously compare sound before making a decision and I will probably have to go by reviews and word of mouth online instead.

I know that feeling. The only place with a selection of headphones around me is Best Buy, whose only audiophile brand they carry is Sony, but they don't even have any of the good Sony headphones.

I just buy headphones when on sale and sell them later for a little less than what I paid. Not ideal but at least I can get a wide assortment of phones on my head.

I use spotify and google music mostly nowadays, doesn't really matter as long as the encoding is good which it usually is.

X7 I was considering but I like just controlling one device for everything on the go. Also the initial firmware seems buggy as fuuuuuuuck.

Hmmmmm.. The silver lining is it sounds fantastic and the different amps will bring more to the table if I ever get a pair of full sized headphones. That and charging and listening are a bonus.

Running a phone/ mojo rules out charging phone at the same time. However I am sure things can be resolved with little hassle.

Anyways enjoy the music and thanks for the advice.

X-Frame

Does anyone know if there are successor earphones on the way to the Vsonic GR07's?

I have the Bass Editions and still prefer the regular Classic's, just wondering if there's possibly a GR08 on the way or something.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh god, right after I bought some th-x00s.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/798127/new-fostex-th610-premium-reference-closed-back-headphones

The removable cables and matte wood finish is so good. Love the color and grain.

Man, TH-600s are still my favourite headphones by far. Awesome sound stage and phenomenal bass. The depth and sense of presence are just lovely, and pretty unusual for 'closed' headphones. Won't need the new ones though as I have them as my office headphones permanently hooked to a Schiit stack, so no need for removable cable.

Goroh

So, i'm in the market for a new set of headphones. I was using a Roccat Kave headset until now but it finally broke, and i want to try something better this time. I was eyeing a pair of Sennheiser HD598, are they good to start? I use them on pc for gaming and stuff, and occasionally listening to music.

Also, i'm equipped with a Xonar DX audio card, do i need something else to enjoy them or can i plug them raw to the card and use them? I'm no expert when it comes to audio...

Thanks in advance :)

LQX

Well, I joined the drop for the red edition k7xx. Never heard an AKG before so I'm looking forward to it!

Yeah, I joined also. I figure they will also have good resale value so I can get back close to what I paid if I decide to sell them.

So, i'm in the market for a new set of headphones. I was using a Roccat Kave headset until now but it finally broke, and i want to try something better this time. I was eyeing a pair of Sennheiser HD598, are they good to start? I use them on pc for gaming and stuff, and occasionally listening to music.

Also, i'm equipped with a Xonar DX audio card, do i need something else to enjoy them or can i plug them raw to the card and use them? I'm no expert when it comes to audio...

Thanks in advance :)
The HD598 are amazing headphones, you cant go wrong. They are super comfortable and you will have no issues with the Xonar DX pushing them as I was on that same setup for bit. No need for a Amp/DAC with that.

Anything similar to the HD 598, but with bass? I enjoyed my brief time with them but they lacked any kind of bass. I need to know it's there and that they can deliver when needed. Preferably with a detachable cable? Would like to use the Vmoda boompro with them.

Top Bottom