• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Never had any experience with the X2, but as always, general rule of thumb is make sure that the pads are seated properly (no gaps), and also to give it at least a day of solid listening, because our audio memory is entirely relative (and also incredibly unreliable). Still, what you're describing seems pretty atypical of the impressions of the X2.

Might be defective, but you'd still want to give them more time.

SliChillax

Never had any experience with the X2, but as always, general rule of thumb is make sure that the pads are seated properly (no gaps), and also to give it at least a day of solid listening, because our audio memory is entirely relative (and also incredibly unreliable). Still, what you're describing seems pretty atypical of the impressions of the X2.

Might be defective, but you'd still want to give them more time.

I'm aware of being used to my old headphones but my problems don't come from that I'm afraid. They might be defective as it shouldn't be normal for the headphone to sound like someone is cutting my ear with a knife. I'll give them two days to get used to, if not I'll return them.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. If anything the treble should be more relaxed compared to the m50x.

Did you check to see if the cable is seated properly? Are you able to open it up to see if anything is sitting on the drivers (hair etc. etc.)

If all else fails I hope you got buyer's protection.

SliChillax

Felt and sounded as if I ripped through the fabric, didn't sound good.
KsNNgte.jpg

So yeah not going to try and take off the ear pads. Hopefully Amazon will give me a replacement.

Scheduled a return from Amazon for tomorrow. It definitely has nothing to do with me being used to my old headphones. There's no bass at all and sound gets distorted plus there's some weird crackling noises at moderate volume.

HiResDes

It seems a bit fishy that the X2 have suddenly dropped lower than the X1 and the reviews have gone so downhill as well...Reports are that the manufacturers have changed from Woox to Gibson, if you get a Gibson pair good luck.

SliChillax

It seems a bit fishy that the X2 have suddenly dropped lower than the X1 and the reviews have gone so downhill as well...Reports are that the manufacturers have changed from Woox to Gibson, if you get a Gibson pair good luck.
I mentioned that a few posts back but didn't expect this level of awfulness. I'm not sure I'll try and get another pair, I might buy some other headphones.

Fox1304

Sold my Fidelio X2 200€ to get a pair of Fidelio L2, I just couldn't stand the velvet ear muffs ... Got them today, hope they're not too far sound-wise, but miles ahead on the comfort side.

SliChillax

Searching for headphones is getting annoying. Keeping my ATH-M50 for the moment but still looking at other stuff. AKG K550? Amazon has the K550 and the K550 Mk2 but the Mk2 is cheaper. Any reason why?

Edit: After doing some research, I'm trying to decide between the Nad Viso HP50, Denon AH-MM400 and V Moda Crossfade M100.

Antiwhippy

M100 is nice if you like big bass, but the nad viso hp50 is seriously lovely if you like a neutralish warm sound. Depends on what you want really. Both have somewhat prominent bass (m100 more so), it's whether if you value more treble or better mids. Personally would go with better mids, thus hp50.

SliChillax

I'm more of a bass person due to the music that I listen to. I don't listen to music a lot but when I do I want it to be fun and nice controlled powerful bass gives me that enjoyment.

Antiwhippy

M100 then, but for hip hop I want the vocals to come through beautifully, and the hp50 will give that to you.

I'm going from reading impressions of the m100 (was heavily researching it because I was seriously considering buying it at one point) and having actually heard the hp50, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Also trust me I love big bass. It's out of your price range, but if you ever want to experience a beautifully executed bass cannon listen to the asg2.5 with bass ports opened. In fact if you don't mind iems I would even recommend the aurisonics kicker.

SliChillax

Haha those are way out of my budget, I wish I could try them. I just went and bought the M100 if I don't like them I'll just return them like I did with the X2's and try your suggestion.

HiResDes

Haha those are way out of my budget, I wish I could try them. I just went and bought the M100 if I don't like them I'll just return them like I did with the X2's and try your suggestion.
Both the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Around Ear and ADL H118 are well within your budget. Focal Spirit Classic would be absolutely perfect but are just outside your range.

Xander51

I've been engaged in the "nightmare" that is the headphone rabbit hole for about the last year now. I really like the M50x, which in recent times seems like it has become the most polarizing pair of headphones. I'm not entirely sure why. I've also really enjoyed the Takstar Pro 80/Hyper X Cloud, it's surprisingly comfy and good-sounding at its rock-bottom price.

I have a giant head and I wear glasses, so headphones are pretty tough for me to enjoy, especially for more than an hour. Comfort is the top priority, and I've returned a few pairs because they didn't fit my silly head correctly. Getting a good seal with my head size and glasses can also be tough. The Sennheiser Urbanite XL was the worst in this regard. It fit over my head just fine, but the cups were so bulbous and stiff that they didn't seal against my face properly, which has a more average size compared to my head.

So far, the nicest-feeling headphones I've worn in the more expensive range are the Sony MDR-1a and the Bose QC 25. I could wear both for days and feel fine. Just some random thoughts from a big-headed headphone user!

Xander51

Anyone know if the DAC is any good on this thing?

http://www.sony.com.au/product/hap-s1

Or even this:

http://www.sony.com.au/product/uda-1

Hilariously, I was scrolling past this post while watching this video
https://youtu.be/yNwB50bN0Do

It's quite complementary of the first device you mention, although he's not really using the DAC. I would imagine that, for the price, they haven't skimped on the gear. I do have a pair of Sony MDR-1aDACs, and the integrated DAC in that is quite good, so you should be fine with these expensive players. More than fine, even. What's your intended use?

SliChillax

I thought his budget was 200 Euro

200 pounds. I agree with Xander, it is a rabbit hole. There are lot's of good headphones and different suggestions never end. Some people say X is better than Y some other people say the opposite. I think I'll just go with my instinct like I did for the ATH M50.

I got to try out the Audio Technica ATH-M50x and the Audio Technica ATH MSR7 at this Headphone shop in NYC. The MSR7 sounds great but the bass lacks a punch that I look for in sound. It doesn't have to be overbearing, but I was hoping it would have more 'omph' if that makes sense.

Xander51

I got to try out the Audio Technica ATH-M50x and the Audio Technica ATH MSR7 at this Headphone shop in NYC. The MSR7 sounds great but the bass lacks a punch that I look for in sound. It doesn't have to be overbearing, but I was hoping it would have more 'omph' if that makes sense.

Yeah, the MSR7 is really designed to focus on the highs and mids, in order to bring out more "Detail." I looked at getting one recently, but decided the M50's I already owned were more fun for normal listening.

And SliChillax, good for you for going with your gut. That's always served me well in this hobby. I read reviews to get a general sense of what I might be interested in, then I just trust my own ears, because everyone is going to have different preferences for sound and comfort.

SliChillax

Wish I had headphones stores where I live, it would make life much easier. I'm getting the V Moda M100 on Thursday, hopefully they don't end up being defective like the X2's.

HiResDes

Has anybody heard the Blue Lolas yet they look so sick and their warm mid focused sound signature sounds right up my ally. I'm on mobile but someone should post an image of these, they're nice.

j-wood

So GAF, I want to step up my headphone game and get a DAC. I have a Nexus 6 for my phone, and the headphone output is trash. I would also use this on my desktop and laptop. Trying out Tidal and the HiFi ability is making me want to step my game up.

So I was looking at this DAC. Seems good?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VET0NZ8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My headphones aren't anything special, just a pair of bose soundtrue's.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-so...hite/4642026.p?id=1219100305861&skuId=4642026

Antiwhippy

Priority when it comes to sound should be Headphone > Amp > Dac.

I'd say that you'll get a lot more improvement in your sound if you invest in better headphones than getting that Fiio.

HiResDes

Yeah definitely what he said, buy some better headphones first, especially given that most of the Bose offerings are tuned for consumers and therefore are quite efficient and don't scale well at all.

Aiii

So not worth it
So far, the nicest-feeling headphones I've worn in the more expensive range are the Sony MDR-1a and the Bose QC 25. I could wear both for days and feel fine. Just some random thoughts from a big-headed headphone user!

My ears fit terribly in most headphones, but yeah the MDR-1A(BT in my case) are by far the best fitting set of headphones I have tried, used the Momentum 2.0s for half a year, but I had to take those off after two to three hours when my ears started acting up. The Sony's though, feel like heaven.

j-wood

Priority when it comes to sound should be Headphone > Amp > Dac.

I'd say that you'll get a lot more improvement in your sound if you invest in better headphones than getting that Fiio.

What would the best bang for my buck be? I just bought some jaybird x2s for gym and when i need wireless, so I'd hate to drop like 500 or something

leng jai

Hilariously, I was scrolling past this post while watching this video
https://youtu.be/yNwB50bN0Do

It's quite complementary of the first device you mention, although he's not really using the DAC. I would imagine that, for the price, they haven't skimped on the gear. I do have a pair of Sony MDR-1aDACs, and the integrated DAC in that is quite good, so you should be fine with these expensive players. More than fine, even. What's your intended use?

Not getting those anymore, Sony were clearing them out yesterday for cheap but they're all gone now.

Looking to upgrade my ancient Dac Magic which is clearly the weak link of my Woo Audio 2/HD800 setup. Looking at the Bifrost AK4490 right now. Seems to have good impressions on Headfi and reasonably priced. Not a fan of spending $1000+ on a DAC.

Antiwhippy

Do you really need it though?

The Grace M9XX on massdrop seems like a good deal for what you want. Though I've read reviews that says the Mojo is about the same league as far as performance goes.

j-wood

leng jai

Do you really need it though?

The Grace M9XX on massdrop seems like a good deal for what you want. Though I've read reviews that says the Mojo is about the same league as far as performance goes.

Not right now, but some of the lights on my DAC Magic don't work anymore so it's probably dying.

The Grace Design 920 is $1300USD, way too expensive. The current gen Bifrost is $649AUD which is decent for local stock.

What if I got the MX50s, and then that Fiio e17k? Are the amp and dac in one in these two scenarios? Or do i need to get a dac as well?

IMHO I would forgo cheap ($50) amps and just spend more money on the headphone itself in that price range.

I would also consider used amps/dacs... there can be some good deals out there.

j-wood

IMHO I would forgo cheap ($50) amps and just spend more money on the headphone itself in that price range.

I would also consider used amps/dacs... there can be some good deals out there.

So if I don't get an amp, are the MX50s still good?

Will I still need a DAC?

LQX

What if I got the MX50s, and then that Fiio e17k? Are the amp and dac in one in these two scenarios? Or do i need to get a dac as well?

The Fiio e17k is both a DAC and portable amplifier. I have never used one but I recently bought my brother the older version and it was pretty decent, but if you are willing to spend $140 on that I would say maybe spend $60 and get and O2/ODAC which will most likely be on sale again in a few weeks for $200 from Massdrop. That said I would not worry about getting something else yet until you hear that MX50 combo if you buy it. It might be enough for you.

Antiwhippy

Eh, not if he wants to go portable.

J-wood, just get the headphones first and judge if you like the sound. At this level worry about dac and amps later.

So I was wondering if anyone could kinda tell me what the problem is.

I bought some used cans from Amazon and they played great yesterday but today the right side just died for no reason. At first I would take out the cable and plug it in and it would work but then die and even slightly bending and moving the cable wasn't working.

So I thought that it might be the cable because no matter how many times I plugged in the cable the sound wouldn't turn on, but then I switched the cable ends. I put the "faulty" right end into the left cup and vice versa. The left cup played normally with no issues and the right cup played well too. But the after about 20 minutes the right side just fizzled out and slowly stopped producing sound.

I then immediately switched the cable ends again and the right side started working again but I'm sure it'll stop making noise after a while.

So basically the right end stops making sound unless I switch cable sides, replugging the same side after the sound stopped doesn't seem to start up the sound. So weird.

So any ideas? Luckily I have 30 days but they have a 1 year warranty so maybe I can get them fixed or exchanged for new if I'm lucky.

I already contacted Amazon and I'll probably get an email tomorrow but I'm just wondering what it might be, shame really because I liked theses cans.

Top Bottom