• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anything similar to the HD 598, but with bass? I enjoyed my brief time with them but they lacked any kind of bass. I need to know it's there and that they can deliver when needed. Preferably with a detachable cable? Would like to use the Vmoda boompro with them.

Fidelo X2?

HiResDes

Anything similar to the HD 598, but with bass? I enjoyed my brief time with them but they lacked any kind of bass. I need to know it's there and that they can deliver when needed. Preferably with a detachable cable? Would like to use the Vmoda boompro with them.

Fidelio X1/X2

Yeah, I joined also. I figure they will also have good resale value so I can get back close to what I paid if I decide to sell them.

The HD598 are amazing headphones, you cant go wrong. They are super comfortable and you will have no issues with the Xonar DX pushing them as I was on that same setup for bit. No need for a Amp/DAC with that.

That was exactly my thinking. Limited red should hold its value pretty well if I decide not to keep it.

Being that I picked up the K7xx I decided to watch few video reviews and came across this....

https://youtu.be/grS4CRFit_Y?t=11m30s

Dude bought $800 "mechanically tuned" cables for $200 headphones

Wtf. Some people in this hobby... Pure snake oil bs.

After much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Shures se215 iem for portable use. The design (It's not butt ugly like a lot of other iems), sound quality, and price made it the choice for me. I will still get a proper Over ear headphone with a DAC a bit later, but I desperately need something now for my commute to school.

I must say, looking at the amount of headphones out there is simply amazing. If I bad more money I'd go all in with this. This is the first step into the audiophile life, isn't it?

After much deliberation, I've decided to go with the Shures se215 iem for portable use. The design (It's not butt ugly like a lot of other iems), sound quality, and price made it the choice for me. I will still get a proper Over ear headphone with a DAC a bit later, but I desperately need something now for my commute to school.

I must say, looking at the amount of headphones out there is simply amazing. If I bad more money I'd go all in with this. This is the first step into the audiophile life, isn't it?

I have a pair myself. Not really for me though, I prefer my phonaks to them slightly. The Shures do have a great fit and isolation though.

I'm curious if you bought them yet? Mine have less than 10 hours on them and would sell them to you for cheap if you want them.

SliChillax

So you guys don't recommend anything better for the price? Should I go for it? I don't doubt that they deliver excellent clarity but I have also heard that Sennheisers usually lack bass. I don't want earth shattering bass to ruin the songs, but I want enough that listening to them will be exciting. I listen mostly hip hop, house music and electronica.

I have a pair myself. Not really for me though, I prefer my phonaks to them slightly. The Shures do have a great fit and isolation though.

I'm curious if you bought them yet? Mine have less than 10 hours on them and would sell them to you for cheap if you want them.
I already made the purchase when I made that lost lol. What is it that makes you prefer your phonaks?

HiResDes

So you guys don't recommend anything better for the price? Should I go for it? I don't doubt that they deliver excellent clarity but I have also heard that Sennheisers usually lack bass. I don't want earth shattering bass to ruin the songs, but I want enough that listening to them will be exciting. I listen mostly hip hop, house music and electronica.
650s don't lack bass all Sennheisers aren't created equal... But if I listened to those genres I'd be looking to grab some used HE-400's as they are pretty much tailor made for those genres.

SliChillax

650s don't lack bass all Sennheisers aren't created equal... But if I listened to those genres I'd be looking to grab some used HE-400's as they are pretty much tailor made for those genres.

Cant seem to find the HE400 but aren't they supposed to be over 300? I don't want to spend more than 230 pounds and I want my Fiio E09k amp and E07K dac to drive the headphones well enough.

HiResDes

Cant seem to find the HE400 but aren't they supposed to be over 300? I don't want to spend more than 230 pounds and I want my Fiio E09k amp and E07K dac to drive the headphones well enough.

That's why I said used, and you're setup would be more than enough to drive the HE-400, which are more efficient than the 650.

SliChillax

That's why I said used, and you're setup would be more than enough to drive the HE-400, which are more efficient than the 650.

Yeah I can't seem to find any in the UK or Europe for my budget. Maybe I'm not looking well enough? Currently looking at the V-Moda M100. Trying to find out if they're a worthy upgrade from the ATH M50.

In addition to the headphones HiResDes has recommended, I'd also take a look at the Fidelio X2. The he-400 was discontinued not long ago, so you may have to check used on those, but they should fit into your price range.

I already made the purchase when I made that lost lol. What is it that makes you prefer your phonaks?

Fits my signature preferences better. They have more treble and are not as rolled off as the 215. I find the details of my music stand out more. They are quite different sounding from each other. The phonak is quite neutral with the grey filters compared to the warmer 215.

SliChillax

If you're okay with going closed I'd check out the ADL H118, Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Around Ear or the fostex th-x00 should they get dropped again. Bowers Wilkins P7
The P7 looks tempting although I'm not used to buying used stuff and have some doubts. What's your experience with used headphones? I'm willing to think about getting the P7 used over new V Moda M100's.

DagsJT

I listen to a lot of hip hop and the 650's are fine for bass. No as bassy as the X2's but then the X2's are a LOT heavier and felt uncomfortable due to the weight.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Make sure to pay through PayPal with buyers protection(meaning that you don't send your money as a gift) and you should be good.

SliChillax

I listen to a lot of hip hop and the 650's are fine for bass. No as bassy as the X2's but then the X2's are a LOT heavier and felt uncomfortable due to the weight.
I'm sure they're fine but are there better alternatives for the price? Buying headphones is so hard unless you actually try them. All reviews I look at online say positive stuff about most headphones I've looked at so I'm really confused on which I should buy.

Make sure to pay through PayPal with buyers protection(meaning that you don't send your money as a gift) and you should be good.

Thanks!

In addition to the headphones HiResDes has recommended, I'd also take a look at the Fidelio X2. The he-400 was discontinued not long ago, so you may have to check used on those, but they should fit into your price range.

Ahh so many suggestions, this is why I'm not an audiophile lol, too much stuff to choose from. If you could make it easy for me, how would you guys rate the Bower Wilkins P7, V Moda M100 and Fidelio X2 in order? I just want the most bang for buck for the kind of genre I listen to which is mainly hip hop and house music.

Also I don't care about portability as I use my headphones at home only. Don't care much about how comfortable they are either as I never usually listen to music for long periods of time.

Tommy DJ

X2 over the other two, especially if you can find them for cheap somewhere. I've never really heard a closed back that sounds anywhere near as nice as an open backed. Closed backs have always sounded a bit like you're listening music inside a cave to a varying degree. The X2s are a but too V shaped for my liking but they're definitely not bad headphones and are pretty well liked for good reason.

Regarding the HD650 chat: The more I listen to the HD650 and HD600, the more I think the HD600 are better. Maybe I'm just more tolerant of brighter headphones from owning the HD800s for a while now but the HD650 sounds too bloated in my opinion with that midbass hump, distortion and rolled off treble.

SliChillax

X2 over the other two, especially if you can find them for cheap somewhere. I've never really heard a closed back that sounds anywhere near as nice as an open backed. Closed backs have always sounded a bit like you're listening music inside a cave to a varying degree. The X2s are a but too V shaped for my liking but they're definitely not bad headphones and are pretty well liked for good reason.

I read some comments about the X2 that they changed manufacturers and suffered a drop in quality. But they are 175 pounds on amazon (down from 300) which makes them the same price wise as the V Moda M100. Meanwhile the P7 are around 250 pounds used.

Edit: Many people are saying that the new version of the X2 sound much worse, even compared to the X1. Ugh this gets more and more complicated.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
One thing you need to learn in this hobby is that pricier does not equal you'll like it more.

Also bower and Wilkins are generally pretty overpriced, but they have really nice build quality.

SliChillax

One thing you need to learn in this hobby is that pricier does not equal you'll like it more.

Also bower and Wilkins are generally pretty overpriced, but they have really nice build quality.

Figured as much for the P7, felt as if I was paying for the design more than the sound. Don't really care much about looks since I only use headphones at home. As for the price, I am definitely aware. From what I've read so far it seems that the X2 are more suited for me but I'm concerned with the comments that the newer models from the different manufacturer are worse.

Tommy DJ

These days, it sort of depends who you ask and how you measure them. Some people think the HD650 is neutral while others think the HD600 are a neutral reference. You can sort of see why if we look at this smoothed graph from Sonarworks. For reference, Sonarworks buys like half a dozen pairs of a headphone and uses their average to determine the frequency response they have to correct for.

MHho5ai.png

But for sure, the HD600 is still probably considered to this day as a reference headphone.

RE quality control of the X2. I'm not really in the know except for the fact they started using glue to attach the earpads rather than use friction fitting. Apparently they stopped doing this in response to the internet wide outrage? I dunno, I'm someone who is typically suspicious of any audio impression. Has anyone objectively proven that there is an actual significant sonic difference between old and new X2s? I'm not saying that people are lying but people have made some pretty insane claims that have been more or less proven to be false.

Like when Sennheiser started to provide graphs show no 6khz peak, Head-Fi went nuts claiming newer HD800 are less bright than older HD800 samples. Yet third party measurements showed that there was basically no change in frequency response that couldn't be attributed to listening position or earpad condition...basically if you hated the HD800, you should still hate the HD800 regardless what serial number they were. If people started liking the HD800 based on the serial number, then that should tell you how powerful bias can be when it comes to audio. The glue bullshit + manufacturer is probably enough for some people to think like this.

SliChillax

Some people apparently have noticed worse audio and some others haven't. I'm reading more reports about not being any sound differences. But the issue with the glue is supposed to be solved by now. Probably people who reported worse sound just had a faulty headphone rather than being the difference of the new manufacturer.

Alright so I've made up my mind then, X2 it is. Last question though, will my Fiio E09K amp with the E07k dac be good enough?

Figured as much for the P7, felt as if I was paying for the design more than the sound. Don't really care much about looks since I only use headphones at home. As for the price, I am definitely aware. From what I've read so far it seems that the X2 are more suited for me but I'm concerned with the comments that the newer models from the different manufacturer are worse.

They made a change with glueing earpads (but stopped after consumer complaints). A lot of people snow balled the issues from there. I have owned both an older pair and a newer one with the glued pads (which they are not doing anymore) and they sounded the same to me. Of course there will always be the possibility of a dud. If you buy from a reputable dealer or even better, from amazon, you should be fine. Amazon has fantastic return policies if you get a dud. The whole thing kind of got out of hand and blew up into outrageous proportions primarily on head-fi and Reddit.

If you don't need a closed headphone, I definitely recommend an open then.

Edit: Ninja'd x2 haha. Yes, your e09k setup will be plenty for your X2. They are very easy to drive and will sound good even out of a decent phone.

SliChillax

Awesome, bought them! :) 175 pounds on Amazon (down from 300). Seems like a good deal to me. Now to sell my ATH-M50.

Edit: Btw, thanks for the advice guys.

LQX

How would you rate the M50X?

I personally really, really like them. Very well constructed(they can be folded) and the best closed-back headphones I have heard for under $200. Everything is clean and in your face with some tight punching bass(oh the bass). If you need some closed-back and bass heavy headphones for this price they are well worth is especially if you don't need the amp and can sell it for $40-$50. You can also get velour ear-pads for them to make them more comfortable.

I personally really, really like them. Very well constructed(they can be folded) and the best closed-back headphones I have heard for under $200. Everything is clean and in your face with some tight punching bass(oh the bass). If you need some closed-back and bass heavy headphones for this price they are well worth is especially if you don't need the amp and can sell it for $40-$50. You can also get velour ear-pads for them to make them more comfortable.

Well, I looked up the amp and it is indeed a great deal so I bought it. This will mark my decent into the audiophile life :D. So some questions: Does the Fiio A3 require an dac as well? And can I use my laptop with the amp or is it unwise?

Goroh

Yeah, I joined also. I figure they will also have good resale value so I can get back close to what I paid if I decide to sell them.

The HD598 are amazing headphones, you cant go wrong. They are super comfortable and you will have no issues with the Xonar DX pushing them as I was on that same setup for bit. No need for a Amp/DAC with that.

Bought! Thanks for the advice ;D

LQX

Well, I looked up the amp and it is indeed a great deal so I bought it. This will mark my decent into the audiophile life :D. So some questions: Does the Fiio A3 require an dac as well? And can I use my laptop with the amp or is it unwise?

It does not require a DAC but I honestly think a DAC should be requirement for those looking for good, clean audio on their PC. It will be fine though with your laptop as all this will do is amply the sound. Do you know what kind of audio components your laptop uses?

If something old with terrible audio you might want to consider selling this and maybe getting a DAC/AMP combo like this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9LHLQ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought that for my brothers M50X which he also uses on a laptop and it pairs very well with it. Regardless, just go by ear once you have it. If you are OK with how the audio sounds on your laptop with that amp keep it, if not get DAC/AMP combo.

It does not require a DAC but I honestly think a DAC should be requirement for those looking for good, clean audio on their PC. It will be fine though with your laptop as all this will do is amply the sound. Do you know what kind of audio components your laptop uses?

If something old with terrible audio you might want to consider selling this and maybe getting a DAC/AMP combo like this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9LHLQ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I bought that for my brothers M50X which he also uses on a laptop and it pairs very well with it. Regardless, just go by ear once you have it. If you are OK with how the audio sounds on your laptop with that amp keep it, if not get DAC/AMP combo.
The laptop in question is the Surface Pro 3. I've read that it has a decent sound board so I think the A3 should be enough. Keywords being I think lol.

LQX

The laptop in question is the Surface Pro 3. I've read that it has a decent sound board so I think the A3 should be enough. Keywords being I think lol.

Yeah, though the audio from the Surface Pro was also pretty good. You should be good.

Give us some feedback once you get it.

thuway

I need your advice guys:

I'm currently running a pair of Philips Fidelio X2 through a Fiio E17 with pretty good results. However, the headphones are super sensitive and easily driven. The big question I have is it worth upgrading at all on the electronics front?

Is it worth upgrading to a:

A) O2ODac
B) Fiio E09k + Fiio E17 Box
C) Schiit Stack
D) Better off not bothering spending 200 bucks on electronics and the E17 is good enough for Fidelio X2
?

HiResDes

I need your advice guys:

I'm currently running a pair of Philips Fidelio X2 through a Fiio E17 with pretty good results. However, the headphones are super sensitive and easily driven. The big question I have is it worth upgrading at all on the electronics front?

A) O2ODac
C) Schiit Stack
D) Better off not bothering spending 200 bucks on electronics and the E17 is good enough for Fidelio X2
?
I think it's obvious that option D is the correct choice unless you just have money burning a whole in your pocket in which case you should just PayPal me the $200 you're about to waste on a needless upgrade 😜

My HD700 arrived. I'm really digging them, I'm hearing sounds that weren't as clear in the 598s.
For $360 well worth it, they're super comfy too and lightweight, it feels like nothing's on.

LQX

I need your advice guys:

A) O2ODac
C) Schiit Stack
?

I personally think the O2O+DAC blows the hell out of the Fiio E17 but I would wait until Massdrop has it again for $200. To me it is a long term worthy investment for desktop use.

My HD700 arrived. I'm really digging them, I'm hearing sounds that weren't as clear in the 598s.
For $360 well worth it, they're super comfy too and lightweight, it feels like nothing's on.

What condition was it in? How you like the build quality?

I need your advice guys:

A) O2ODac
C) Schiit Stack
?

Option D. Your good unless you upgrade your headphones.

That's a pretty great deal, were they new?

What condition was it in? How you like the build quality?

Basically new, zero scratches after looking at them for several minutes. Build quality is pretty nice. I like the cable more than the 598s, it's like wrapped in this shoelace type fabric, I was imagining some sort of extension cord plastic type monster cable from what some people where saying but it's pretty good. Ear pads are super comfy and soft and I like how they stay in place compared to the 598s. Also they're tight but you don't notice them once they're on, it's hard to explain, they're just really comfy and fit perfectly.

Option D. Your good unless you upgrade your headphones.

That's a pretty great deal, were they new?
"Like New" from Amazon, came with amazons fulfillment and still has the yearly sennheiser warranty so I thought I'd give it a shot, also no tax so that was another reason I bit.

thuway

One last question guys. On my Fiio E17K I really like the sound of 0 gain. Am I hearing things- or is there a tiny bit of distortion the higher gain you go? (Fidelio X2 btw)

By adding an E09K or another amp would that help me keep the Low Gain Sound?

HiResDes

One last question guys. On my Fiio E17K I really like the sound of 0 gain. Am I hearing things- or is there a tiny bit of distortion the higher gain you go? (Fidelio X2 btw)

By adding an E09K or another amp would that help me keep the Low Gain Sound?

Man if you wanna buy the E09K so bad then go ahead...You're resorting to circular reasoning at this point.

SliChillax

Just got the Fidelio X2 and it sounds horrible. The volume isn't as high as the Audio Technica ATH M50 and there is no bass at all. Not only there is no bass but there's this "tearing" sound at high volumes. Or does it have to do with the burn in myth? Using a Fiio E09k and E07k.

Top Bottom