• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

LQX

So I was wondering if anyone could kinda tell me what the problem is.

I bought some used cans from Amazon and they played great yesterday but today the right side just died for no reason. At first I would take out the cable and plug it in and it would work but then die and even slightly bending and moving the cable wasn't working.

So I thought that it might be the cable because no matter how many times I plugged in the cable the sound wouldn't turn on, but then I switched the cable ends. I put the "faulty" right end into the left cup and vice versa. The left cup played normally with no issues and the right cup played well too. But the after about 20 minutes the right side just fizzled out and slowly stopped producing sound.

I then immediately switched the cable ends again and the right side started working again but I'm sure it'll stop making noise after a while.

So basically the right end stops making sound unless I switch cable sides, replugging the same side after the sound stopped doesn't seem to start up the sound. So weird.

So any ideas? Luckily I have 30 days but they have a 1 year warranty so maybe I can get them fixed or exchanged for new if I'm lucky.

I already contacted Amazon and I'll probably get an email tomorrow but I'm just wondering what it might be, shame really because I liked theses cans.

Now you know why someone sent them back. If you are lucky Amazon might send you a new pair at no charge.

Hypron

So, I ordered an O2+ODAC yesterday from Head'n'Hifi. I spent a fair bit of time reading Awavguy's website and I was really interested in the open source, no-nonsense design approach (especially as an engineering student myself). I kinda wanted to build my own but it wasn't really cheaper once you included all the extra parts you need to get feature parity with the pre-built one...

My current headphones are a pair of HD555 so I probably won't see as big of a difference as with better or harder to drive headphones but I'm planning on upgrading my audio setup this year so this is a good first step I reckon.

Next I'll buy a power amplifier and some bookshelf speakers to replace the $20 logitech speakers I have at the moment. I'm thinking of getting a Topping TP22 (which I'll connect to the ODAC's output) and some Q Acoustics 2020i since they are both available locally for a fairly decent price and got good reviews from what I read.

By that point I'll have replaced all my shitty devices... I'm thinking that I could upgrade to a nicer set of headphones towards the end of the year. I've had the HD555s for close to 7 years now and while they still work perfectly I feel like it's time for a change especially since I can afford to buy stuff now.

At the moment after a little bit of research I'm thinking of getting some HD600s. They seems to be a great pair of headphones with tons of great reviews and apparently it's easy to repair them if the need ever arises. They are also sitting right at the upper limit of what I'd consider acceptable to spend for headphones (NZD500).

I'd be looking at using the headphones for everything, listening to music, watching movies and playing games. From my understanding the HD600 are fairly neutral, is that right? I always like knowing that the way I consume media is close to what it was intended, so I'd definitely take accuracy and neutrality over super powerful bass for example. Would the HD600 be a good choice then ? Or am I completely off the mark and don't understand anything haha?

So, I ordered an O2+ODAC yesterday from Head'n'Hifi. I spent a fair bit of time reading Awavguy's website and I was really interested in the open source, no-nonsense design approach (especially as an engineering student myself). I kinda wanted to build my own but it wasn't really cheaper once you included all the extra parts you need to get feature parity with the pre-built one...

My current headphones are a pair of HD555 so I probably won't see as big of a difference as with better or harder to drive headphones but I'm planning on upgrading my audio setup this year so this is a good first step I reckon.

Next I'll buy a power amplifier and some bookshelf speakers to replace the $20 logitech speakers I have at the moment. I'm thinking of getting a Topping TP22 (which I'll connect to the ODAC's output) and some Q Acoustics 2020i since they are both available locally for a fairly decent price and got good reviews from what I read.

By that point I'll have replaced all my shitty devices... I'm thinking that I could upgrade to a nicer set of headphones towards the end of the year. I've had the HD555s for close to 7 years now and while they still work perfectly I feel like it's time for a change especially since I can afford to buy stuff now.

At the moment after a little bit of research I'm thinking of getting some HD600s. They seems to be a great pair of headphones with tons of great reviews and apparently it's easy to repair them if the need ever arises. They are also sitting right at the upper limit of what I'd consider acceptable to spend for headphones (NZD500).

I'd be looking at using the headphones for everything, listening to music, watching movies and playing games. From my understanding the HD600 are fairly neutral, is that right? I always like knowing that the way I consume media is close to what it was intended, so I'd definitely take accuracy and neutrality over super powerful bass for example. Would the HD600 be a good choice then ? Or am I completely off the mark and don't understand anything haha?

Many, many people use the hd600 to this day as their neutral reference point, so I would say your definitely right on the mark. I'm not sure about NZ specifically, but the hd6xx series goes on sale pretty frequently in a lot of places, so keep an eye out for a deal on that hd600.

Hypron

Many, many people use the hd600 to this day as their neutral reference point, so I would say your definitely right on the mark. I'm not sure about NZ specifically, but the hd6xx series goes on sale pretty frequently in a lot of places, so keep an eye out for a deal on that hd600.

Thanks thatt's great to hear! I'll definitely keep an eye out for sales. I'll probably have to buy them in NZ, because unless I can get them for less than NZD400/USD260 import fees kick in big time (15% + $50). Although, it might not be a bad thing since buying locally makes warranty a lot easier to deal with.

leng jai

Just saw that A2A have the HD800S listed at a whopping price of $2600AUD. Insane when the original is right next to it at $1349.

leng jai

Yeah, A2A are fantastic when it comes to service and they have some of the best prices around supported by a huge range. Melbourne is really lucky to have such a place to be honest, especially since they don't care if you sit there and audition for hours and don't buy anything.

ty_hot

My Plantronics BackBeat Pro is on the way to my house. Ordered it yesterday on Amazon .it (5 euros cheaper than amazon uk). Never thought I would spend 145 euros on a headphone. wow.

Hope it will be as good as it seems.

j-wood

How do the HD598 compare to the audiotechnica M50xs?

I asked because I remembered I had some reward certs, so I could pick up the HD598s for basically 20 bucks. Would they be a huge upgrade over the bose set that I had? Would I noticed a difference listening on my phone without a DAC or AMP?

I would also be using these on my desktop PC and my guitar amp when I play guitar. I have no DAC on my desktop either, so I'd be using the integrated sound card.

EDIT: Well after reading some reviews. I might just stick with the M50xs. I listen to alot of rap and rock, so bass is important.

How do the HD598 compare to the audiotechnica M50xs?

I asked because I remembered I had some reward certs, so I could pick up the HD598s for basically 20 bucks. Would they be a huge upgrade over the bose set that I had? Would I noticed a difference listening on my phone without a DAC or AMP?

I would also be using these on my desktop PC and my guitar amp when I play guitar. I have no DAC on my desktop either, so I'd be using the integrated sound card.

EDIT: Well after reading some reviews. I might just stick with the M50xs. I listen to alot of rap and rock, so bass is important.

If you like boomy bass, I'd stick with the m50x. However I believe the hd598 to be in another league compared to the m50x on overall sound quality.

Hypron

If you don't mind importing from australia, A2A has the HD600 for 350NZD + however much for shipping (shouldn't be too expensive right? We're pretty close to each other)

They're very good when it comes to customer service and warranty.

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/p...0-audiophile-reference-hifi-stereo-headphones

Actually if you're not grabbing them I'm having some serious considerations for getting them myself.

Damn yeah that's pretty cheap, AUD358 including shipping. That's NZD387 i.e. it's $100 cheaper than buying it locally. I hope it remains at that price level until I get around to buying it, I just dropped $360 on the O2+ODAC so I'd rather wait for a bit haha.

The Fiio e17k is both a DAC and portable amplifier. I have never used one but I recently bought my brother the older version and it was pretty decent, but if you are willing to spend $140 on that I would say maybe spend $60 and get and O2/ODAC which will most likely be on sale again in a few weeks for $200 from Massdrop. That said I would not worry about getting something else yet until you hear that MX50 combo if you buy it. It might be enough for you.
Would you by chance know if I could use the Fiio E12 with a PS4?

Xander51

Would you by chance know if I could use the Fiio E12 with a PS4?

Looks like the E12 only has an analog mini jack input, so you'd have to... I don't know... run a cable from the PS4 controller into it, and then plug your headphones into the E12. Or I guess you could run analog audio out from your receiver (if you have one) or TV (Which might be a noisy output). It doesn't seem ideal to me, but hey, if you're trying to drive powerful headphones with your PS4, then I guess it would work.

j-wood

Wait a sec, are the beats solo 2 really in the op? Did they improve them that much? I thought they were trash. They are currently on sale for 99 at best buy

Also what does the open and closed signs mean in the op?

Xander51

Wait a sec, are the beats solo 2 really in the op? Did they improve them that much? I thought they were trash. They are currently on sale for 99 at best buy

Also what does the open and closed signs mean in the op?

The Solo 2's are waaaaaaaaaaay better than the original Solo's, and easily the best of the current Beats line-up. They have a tight, punchy, bass-rich sound that doesn't sacrifice detail.

Sadly, my head is too big to wear them comfortably for long, haha.

The Open and Closed signs tell you whether a headphone is open-back or closed-back. You can find more info about that earlier on in the OP. ;)

Looks like the E12 only has an analog mini jack input, so you'd have to... I don't know... run a cable from the PS4 controller into it, and then plug your headphones into the E12. Or I guess you could run analog audio out from your receiver (if you have one) or TV (Which might be a noisy output). It doesn't seem ideal to me, but hey, if you're trying to drive powerful headphones with your PS4, then I guess it would work.
I might do the first option since I don't have a proper DAC. I won't have powerful headphones, but I was just wondering if there was a way to get better sound.

j-wood

Would the solo 2s be better than the audio technicas and my boss set? They fit my head well and I could get them free with the sale and my reward certs basically.

Xander51

I might do the first option since I don't have a proper DAC. I won't have powerful headphones, but I was just wondering if there was a way to get better sound.

I see. If it were me, I'd try it out just directly into the controller first without spending money on the amp. If your headphones are easy to drive, the controller audio will probably sound just fine. But that's just my opinion!

Would the solo 2s be better than the audio technicas and my boss set? They fit my head well and I could get them free with the sale and my reward certs basically.

I personally find the Audio Technica's much more comfy and a little more detailed than the Solo 2's. Also, I think the soundstage is a little better on the M50's since they're over-ear and not on-ear. But everyone's going to feel a little differently. Fortunately, you can't walk into any store that sells things without tripping over a Beats demo station, so you could always just go demo them!

FoxSpirit

I really like the new 800s. Seem less bright and more balanced. Also, more bass? But hard to tell since the damn demo didn't let me choose music or volume. But yeah, sound more balanced. Superb imaging, brilliant bass, immensely clean.

Ralts42

Neo Member
New to the audiophile world, just picked up a pair of Fidelo X2's and mainly want to use them for ps4 gaming. I see that that they are relatively easy to drive, so what would but a good Amp + DAC combo for these without getting too pricy?

Tommy DJ

Just saw that A2A have the HD800S listed at a whopping price of $2600AUD. Insane when the original is right next to it at $1349.

That balanced cable isn't going to pay for itself.

Seriously though, it's a good time to snag a second hand HD800 and mod it to sound 99% like the HD800S.

It's hilarious that the new 800 is basically just a 800 with the Anax mods. I heard the 800 had to be vetted by Senn's board which were basically a buncha old farts with diminished/damaged hearing. Would explain a lot about that phone's tuning really

j-wood

Awesome! They're a surprisingly good headphone, especially for a sale price.

For sure. With the certs I have saved up, I only paid 11 dollars for them. Got the stone grey color. Should a DAC be something I start looking into for use on my phone and PC with these?

Xander51

For sure. With the certs I have saved up, I only paid 11 dollars for them. Got the stone grey color. Should a DAC be something I start looking into for use on my phone and PC with these?

They're pretty easy to drive, and were designed to work well with mobile devices, so if you like the sound you're getting, then I don't think a DAC would make a noticeable difference. If you're hearing any interference or hiss out of your PC, then having an external DAC would clean up the signal, but most on-board sound included in PCs in the last few years is surprisingly okay. Check out this article for more info on this, where they had a hard time distinguishing between the $2 dollar Realtek chip in their PC and a $2000 DAC.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

DACs and Amps give you features like volume knobs, better EQ options, and protection from internal noise in your PC. They can also drive higher resistance headphones correctly, but you don't have to worry about that with the Beats. Some people swear by them, and I've heard tiny differences in the color/quality of the sound with them, but if you're happy with what you've got, then you're good!

And wow, 11 dollars, that's insane! Awesome deal!

j-wood

They're pretty easy to drive, and were designed to work well with mobile devices, so if you like the sound you're getting, then I don't think a DAC would make a noticeable difference. If you're hearing any interference or hiss out of your PC, then having an external DAC would clean up the signal, but most on-board sound included in PCs in the last few years is surprisingly okay. Check out this article for more info on this, where they had a hard time distinguishing between the $2 dollar Realtek chip in their PC and a $2000 DAC.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

DACs and Amps give you features like volume knobs, better EQ options, and protection from internal noise in your PC. They can also drive higher resistance headphones correctly, but you don't have to worry about that with the Beats. Some people swear by them, and I've heard tiny differences in the color/quality of the sound with them, but if you're happy with what you've got, then you're good!

And wow, 11 dollars, that's insane! Awesome deal!

Yeah man! Thanks for all the help and info everyone. The solo 2's are on sale at best buy for $99 if anyone else is interested!

HiResDes

New to the audiophile world, just picked up a pair of Fidelo X2's and mainly want to use them for ps4 gaming. I see that that they are relatively easy to drive, so what would but a good Amp + DAC combo for these without getting too pricy?
Just get a Schiit Fulla

So, I'll preface this by saying that I'm not an audiophile - but I like good sound!

I'm currently using the AKG Y50 model and absolutely love them. The build quality for the price alone was fantastic and I can't fault the sound.

That being said, I'm interested in picking up a secondary pair (I use these extensively outside of just music because the mic quality seems solid), just so I'm not so reliant on the one.

What would people suggest for this? I really like AKG from my experience but there doesn't seem to be a new model in that price bracket.

HiResDes

So, I'll preface this by saying that I'm not an audiophile - but I like good sound!

I'm currently using the AKG Y50 model and absolutely love them. The build quality for the price alone was fantastic and I can't fault the sound.

That being said, I'm interested in picking up a secondary pair (I use these extensively outside of just music because the mic quality seems solid), just so I'm not so reliant on the one.

What would people suggest for this? I really like AKG from my experience but there doesn't seem to be a new model in that price bracket.
What are you looking for that's different from what you already have? What's your budget? Do you want open or closed headphones?

j-wood

Would a 3.5mm audio extension cable degrade quality at all? The beats cable is a tad on the short side, so I might need an extension to reach the back of my PC.

Or I could use the front audio ports i just remembered I have haha.

FoxSpirit

Would a 3.5mm audio extension cable degrade quality at all? The beats cable is a tad on the short side, so I might need an extension to reach the back of my PC.

As long as the cable is properly made, no.

HiResDes

No an extension wouldn't hurt anything.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mmmmm.

Seriously considering getting that hd600 deal. Like really considering it. Seriously fits what I want (neutral reference) and that price is super tempting.

I'll make my decision after an audition. If I do I hope they have more in stock for you hypron.

Hypron

Mmmmm.

Seriously considering getting that hd600 deal. Like really considering it. Seriously fits what I want (neutral reference) and that price is super tempting.

I'll make my decision after an audition. If I do I hope they have more in stock for you hypron.

Haha go ahead, don't worry about me I'll survive :)

Anyway I'm probably going to wait until I get paid some scholarship money end of next month before making my next expensive purchase.

It's hilarious that the new 800 is basically just a 800 with the Anax mods. I heard the 800 had to be vetted by Senn's board which were basically a buncha old farts with diminished/damaged hearing. Would explain a lot about that phone's tuning really

Good news for people who don't mind modding their phones. The hd800s should drive down pricing on the original even further.

Top Bottom