• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Casanova

Not when they're being sold by FocusCamera, fuck outta my thread with that nonsense

It's still Ebay. Gross.

I understand it is just another outlet for FocusCamera, which is a great retailer, but please refrain from linking someone to Ebay without a viewer discretion warning.

Ebay is a legitimate website for buying stuff, with many retailers having their own storefronts. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the forum should not use it.

It's still Ebay. Gross.

I understand it is just another outlet for FocusCamera, which is a great retailer, but please refrain from linking someone to Ebay without a viewer discretion warning.

Clearly you have a major issue with eBay. Is this a common thing? I can't remember seeing it on here before. However, surely it is up to the individual GAFer to decide if they have an issue with eBay or not. You do and that's fine but it is hardly reasonable to expect other GAFers to share your stance. Such links are not against GAF rules or posting guidelines. If you feel that strongly about it perhaps you would be better served taking it up with the Mods.

Casanova

Clearly you have a major issue with eBay. Is this a common thing? I can't remember seeing it on here before. However, surely it is up to the individual GAFer to decide if they have an issue with eBay or not. You do and that's fine but it is hardly reasonable to expect other GAFers to share your stance. Such links are not against GAF rules or posting guidelines. If you feel that strongly about it perhaps you would be better served taking it up with the Mods.

Just a joke man. Lol. The Ebay website is just horrific in style and design, but whatever, I'm not going to debate with you. I just think that it is a terrible website, didn't mean to start a riot. I just highly prefer other websites. Calm down

My apologies.

I am perfectly calm thank you.

You are entitled to think whatever you like about anything. I could not care less one way or the other; it is none of my business. However if you seek to impose your perspective on me and others who read this thread then I am perfectly entitled to respond to that.

Lastly, if you wish to make a joke then it might serve you well to make one that does not have to be declared to be one after the fact.

There is no real need for an apology but your sentiment is appreciated nonetheless.

I do not have anything more that I wish to say on the matter so I shall bid you a good day.

Just a joke man. Lol. The Ebay website is just horrific in style and design, but whatever, I'm not going to debate with you. I just think that it is a terrible website, didn't mean to start a riot. I just highly prefer other websites. Calm down

My apologies.

Casanova

I am perfectly calm thank you.

You are entitled to think whatever you like about anything. I could not care less one way or the other; it is none of my business. However if you seek to impose your perspective on me and others who read this thread then I am perfectly entitled to respond to that.

Lastly, if you wish to make a joke then it might serve you well to make one that does not have to be declared to be one after the fact.

There is no real need for an apology but your sentiment is appreciated nonetheless.

I do not have anything more that I wish to say on the matter so I shall bid you a good day.

Humor isn't universal - I'm not going to filter myself to compensate for your lack of it.

You're right, it is none of your business, so don't attempt to tell me that I have to make certain jokes and avoid others because someone like yourself may not understand it.

I just feel like Ebay is old-news. That's not a well though out perspective, it's just a casual observation. I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I'm not trying to push a perspective on anyone. Get a grip, dude.

j-wood

They are expensive, but the Jaybird X2 bluetooth headphones are by far the best sounding bluetooth set I've ever used.

Great features and comfort as well.

It's still Ebay. Gross.

My apologies.
Unless I have a terrible sense of humor, nothing you said seemed intended to be taken as a joke.

Humor isn't universal - I'm not going to filter myself to compensate for your lack of it.

You're right, it is none of your business, so don't attempt to tell me that I have to make certain jokes and avoid others because someone like yourself may not understand it.

I just feel like Ebay is old-news. That's not a well though out perspective, it's just a casual observation. I'm not trying to offend anyone, and I'm not trying to push a perspective on anyone. Get a grip, dude.

Highlight mine.

Now that was amusing.

However this whole thread de-rail is completely off topic and has already gone on far too long for my liking.

Furthermore, message board spats where each tries to demonstrate that they are right and the other wrong so as not to lose face in front of the collective are too tedious for words.

I have no desire to engage in one and certainly have far better things to do with my time and energies than to do so with someone who is clearly unable or unwilling to deport themselves in a civil and mutually respectful manner.

I shall say no more on the matter. For the sake of all concerned please let this be the end of it.

Casanova

Unless I have a terrible sense of humor, nothing you said seemed intended to be taken as a joke.

Well, it's certainly not a one-liner if that's what you were expecting. It's a low-key joke on how shitty and saturated Ebay is now - which is my opinion, but I thought that more people felt that way about Ebay. I guess people don't feel that way about Ebay yet. Lol

Casanova

Highlight mine.

Now that was amusing.

However this whole thread de-rail is completely off topic and has already gone on far too long for my liking.

Furthermore, message board spats where each tries to demonstrate that they are right and the other wrong so as not to lose face in front of the collective are too tedious for words.

I have no desire to engage in one and certainly have far better things to do with my time and energies than to do so with someone who is clearly unable or unwilling to deport themselves in a civil and mutually respectful manner.

I shall say no more on the matter. For the sake of all concerned please let this be the end of it.

I just said that linking someone to Ebay was the 2016 equivalent of a rick roll - which is my opinion, and is not invasive of anyone else. You're the one who feels the need to defend Ebay because of your own perspective on the quality and state of Ebay. That's your problem, not mine.

Peace

Anyways...

Trying to pick out some closed back headphones in the next few months. Finally getting off the nightshift so I'll need something with isolation I can use during the day at home that won't bother my wife.

Currently thinking about the Oppo PM-3 since they are also portable, which is a bonus though if there is better stuff in the $400 price range I'm all ears.

Don't have very much experience with closed backs I'm afraid. My current two most used open backs are my hd650 and 400i. Getting the AKG k7xx soon too.

SliChillax

Just got the V Moda M100 and my eyes are still rolling. It's exactly what I wanted. Bass is thumpy and satisfying while still maintaining the clarity that I expect. Sure they're not the most neutral sounding or most produce the most accurate sound but they're so much fun to listen to. Perfect for me who uses headphones once every two days at most to listen to hip hop and house music. Thank god my ears are small though as I can barely fit them in the ear pads, anyone with big ears should not buy them. Build quality feels sturdy but I don't care much about that. The ATH M50s sound so boring compared to it.

HiResDes

Just got the V Moda M100 and my eyes are still rolling. It's exactly what I wanted. Bass is thumpy and satisfying while still maintaining the clarity that I expect. Sure they're not the most neutral sounding or most produce the most accurate sound but they're so much fun to listen to. Perfect for me who uses headphones once every two days at most to listen to hip hop and house music. Thank god my ears are small though as I can barely fit them in the ear pads, anyone with big ears should not buy them. Build quality feels sturdy but I don't care much about that. The ATH M50s sound so boring compared to it.
I agree with you about the comparison the M50s, overrated headphone in my estimation

SliChillax

I'm still sad that I got defective Fidelio X2, wish I could have tried the Woox version. Btw guys is the burn in thing real? I keep reading it everywhere.

HiResDes

I'm still sad that I got defective Fidelio X2, wish I could have tried the Woox version. Btw guys is the burn in thing real? I keep reading it everywhere.

Not really, brain burn in maybe, I think you might have liked those DT990s too especially at that sale price, but too bad it's U.S. only

LQX

If anyone is looking for a headphone stand I really have to recommend the SilverStone Technology EBA01B. Really solid construction and can potentially old three nice size headphones, two for sure. Its currently $60. I think it is worth it considering most of the decent headphone stands go for around $30 and this has the potential to hold 2-3.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y54RXO8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks way better in person. I hate the logo but my O2 covers it nicely.
DSC00255_zps6br8clgv.jpg
(not my image)

ty_hot

My BackBeat Pro arrived today =) I am so glad that I finally have them.

I tried it with my phone (Windows Phone, so aptx support) and it was great, and now I am using on my computer but I have one question.

W10 has aptx support, but how do I know if the headphones are using aptx in the connection? It should be using aptx, right? Or do I need a bluetooth dongle?

I didnt notice any difference in audio quality, but I haven't used it much.

edit. my last 'quality' headphones was a Sennheiser HD201 (haha), so I am far from an audiophile and can't say those terms that I read in the reviews when I was deciding which one I should buy, but the sound is really pleasant, bass response is great but not excessive, and highs are good as well (maybe too much high sometimes). I listened to some songs through the computer speaker and my nokia earphones (bundled with my phone) and after with the BackBeat Pro, such a big difference, you can hear so much more details. I haven't tried it outdoors so I can't say anything about the ANC. Other than that, many great features in the phone (call answering, auto play/pause when taking them off your ears,...). Seems like it was worth the money (145 euros).

Dobsie

So I bought a new pair of Fidelio X2's for £140 plus £15 delivery off eBay, only after I ordered them did I find out about the QC issues. One of the ear pads was pretty heavily glued on and looked like it would get damaged if i forced it off. I contacted Philips who said to force it off and if it gets damaged they will refund me the £140 I paid for them, I was like can you not just send me some new ear pads? Apparently they don't have any replacement headphones or ear pads in stock and won't for the foreseeable future, so i went ahead and tried removing the pad, which distorted/ ripped the inner lining of the pad a little and left a load of glue on the nibs, anyway long story short I'm getting these for £15 as Philips have sent me a cheque for £140!
I couldn't be happier with them, just using my laptop to drive them for the time being, plus I don't have an extensive collection of FLAC's yet.

ty_hot

Does your motherboard/laptop come with aptx capable Bluetooth?

All info I can get of my laptop's bluetooth is 'Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 USB'. =/ Any way to know for sure? Test?

edit. what the hell does 'windows 10 is aptx compatible' mean when you still need a special bluetooth board/dongle? that doesnt change anything, does it?

I've been looking at the MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 for a bit over at Head-fi and they seem to be great iems. I regret getting the Shures se215 now. I just wish there was more review videos on them.

LQX

I've been looking at the MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 for a bit over at Head-fi and they seem to be great iems. I regret getting the Shures se215 now. I just wish there was more review videos on them.

I was thinking about getting those as workout earphone as the cables seem very durable. What were you issues with them?

Looking for HD 598 alternatives reminds me how much I liked them (except the lack of bass). They were so comfortable on my big ass head/ears, too!

Screw it. I'll eq the bass to acceptable levels for music like I did before and just roll with it for consoles.

Xander51

All info I can get of my laptop's bluetooth is 'Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 USB'. =/ Any way to know for sure? Test?

edit. what the hell does 'windows 10 is aptx compatible' mean when you still need a special bluetooth board/dongle? that doesnt change anything, does it?

It means that the Windows 10 OS itself is compatible with AptX devices, but yes, you still need the Bluetooth receiver in your phone/tablet/laptop/computer to actually use and support AptX in order to take advantage of it.

I can confirm that the Pinnacle is a really great IEM that can really hang with some of the most expensive phones out there.
I feel like getting them ;_;
I was thinking about getting those as workout earphone as the cables seem very durable. What were you issues with them?
Nothing per say, it's just that for a 100 bucks more I could've gotten something better. It's really just me being greedy.

Anyways...

Trying to pick out some closed back headphones in the next few months. Finally getting off the nightshift so I'll need something with isolation I can use during the day at home that won't bother my wife.

Currently thinking about the Oppo PM-3 since they are also portable, which is a bonus though if there is better stuff in the $400 price range I'm all ears.

Don't have very much experience with closed backs I'm afraid. My current two most used open backs are my hd650 and 400i. Getting the AKG k7xx soon too.
The PM-3 are pretty awesome for closed headphones! I love mine!

HE-500 at home, PM-3 straight from my phone when out and about and at the gym.

Is there a consensus about whether 7.1 headphones are ok or it would be better to stick with good ol' stereo?

I had been considering getting the Logitech G230 for both PC and PS4 as 7.1 is obviously not supported on PS4 and right now I don't play on PC anymore, but at the moment they cost nearly the same.

I was considering getting the 7.1 as an investment in case I go back to PC gaming on a future (I had to downgrade my 5.1 system and remove the back and central speakers due to a lack of space after moving), but I did not had a great experience the last time I used something like this. I had a pair of Sharkoon X-tatic 5.1 with a dolby decoder, but I could barely notice the surround sound, and they were a mess requiring two power supplies.

BTW, this is the super budget horror I've been using during 2015:

41rCsSXpOqL._SY300_.jpg

Ozone Rage ST. Not great, but sound is ok unless you really care about it, problem being that they are too big for my head and tend to slide a bit. I suppose I'd leave them at the office after purchasing a new headset for home.

Check out these monstrosities.

Been around since the 1980s and apparently are still some of the best closed headphones out there.

Have my options narrowed down between these Beyerdynamic DT150, the Oppo Pm-3 and ZMF Classic (updated Master Version).

Anybody with these headphones?

leng jai

I own the PM-3s. They undoubtably a very nice pair of headphones on a technical level but I find them awfully boring. That sounds bad but it's actually just because they do everything very competently, but not at the level where there's much to get excited about.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I've never understood this, "the PM-3 is so good it's boring" conversation.

Take the HP50, improve it in all facets, and you have the PM-3.

HiResDes

Looking for HD 598 alternatives reminds me how much I liked them (except the lack of bass). They were so comfortable on my big ass head/ears, too!

Screw it. I'll eq the bass to acceptable levels for music like I did before and just roll with it for consoles.
Sony MDR MA 900 are good alternatives with slightly more bass.

I've never understood this, "the PM-3 is so good it's boring" conversation.

Take the HP50, improve it in all facets, and you have the PM-3.

The hd650 gets that sometimes too and they are not boring to me at all.

Check out the Blue Lola.

I'm not really considering the 1540 anymore. Signature just wouldn't appeal to me I think. I may see if a local store has them to try though. Shure is popular enough to be sold at instrument stores. My current finalists are DT150, PM-3 and ZMF Classic.

I've never seen these before now and my first thought was "wtf is this?!?". Those are some...uniquely designed headphones.

I'll check out some impressions.

wilflare

If anyone is looking for a headphone stand I really have to recommend the SilverStone Technology EBA01B. Really solid construction and can potentially old three nice size headphones, two for sure. Its currently $60. I think it is worth it considering most of the decent headphone stands go for around $30 and this has the potential to hold 2-3.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y54RXO8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks way better in person. I hate the logo but my O2 covers it nicely.

(not my image)

that looks pretty good. I was actually thinking of getting a Omega-shaped wooden stand but I might just go with this instead

LQX

that looks pretty good. I was actually thinking of getting a Omega-shaped wooden stand but I might just go with this instead
I don't think you can go wrong, especially if you have another headphone. The build quality is really exceptional. You wont accidentally drag or knock them over. They are built like a tank, really heavy from top to bottom and has a nice brushed metal look and feel to them. Woo Audio headphones stands get a lot of praise, these match them in quality and look very similar so I would not be surprised if the same company is behind them.

Video review of them...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY5q2hmDGvQ

Ebay is a legitimate website for buying stuff, with many retailers having their own storefronts. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the forum should not use it.

EBay is awesome. imac, canyon mtb, cube mtb, omega watch, 100m2 block paving all testify to its greatness.

Would gladly use eBay for gear. Been looking for unwanted mojo's ;)

Peace

Top Bottom