• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Sending back my Jaybird X2 set. They're nice, but they disconnect from my laptop a lot, and also don't stay on my neck that well. Also, 8 hours just doesn't work for me over the course of an average day.

So, looking for IEMs, I'll get £120 back, so in the £100-150 range. Any recommendations? What's the current hotness?

Do you need wireless?

If not at that price range, go mee audio pinnacle 1 if you want a neutral sound.

Sony xb90ex for bass.

mr stroke

So how are we going to cope with the removal of headset jacks from future Apple products? It's iPhone 7 first, iPads next. Will we see a bluetooth DAC/AMP, or use lightning jack ones like HA-2?

To be honest, I won't be too mad if they abandon the headphone jack, I never use it on my iPhone anymore(Tons of great blue tooth cans available today)

portability>audio quality when moving around.

If headphone manufacturers have any sense, the amp will go inside the headphone and finally do what the very best speakers have been able to achieve for a while. In fact, the new Sennheiser Orpheus 2 does just that...the marble monstrosity is just a pre-amp/DAC unit apparently.

Bad idea, putting the amp in the headphones is going to make them tight and heavy.( See gaming cans like the Sony Pulse heaphones or Steelseries H headset.)

My assumption is the included lightning Apple Headphones would have a small break out cable for the headphone jack.

Antiwhippy

Nah, it's just going to be like the audeze cipherr cable. Integrated dac/DSP/amp in the cable.

I'd assume USB out to an external dac/amp still works.

jesalr

Do you need wireless?

If not at that price range, go mee audio pinnacle 1 if you want a neutral sound.

Sony xb90ex for bass.

No, trying to avoid wireless cause the X2s were meant to have great wireless performance and they didn't work out too well for me.

Will check those two out. The XB90EXs aren't in stock anywhere in the UK though

Antiwhippy

No, trying to avoid wireless cause the X2s were meant to have great wireless performance and they didn't work out too well for me.

Will check those two out. The XB90EXs aren't in stock anywhere in the UK though

Hmm, you can try cdjapan if you don't mind importing.

Oh, forgot to ask, how will you be using them mainly? For exercise I won't actually recommend them because they stick out too much.

You can have a look at Trinity audio. Hyperion's to me are pretty good value for the price. Haven't heard the rest but they're generally considered pretty good. Generally v-shaped with strong bass, but they come with tuning filters for you to play around the sound with.

https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/collections/all

mr stroke

Nah, it's just going to be like the audeze cipherr cable. Integrated dac/DSP/amp in the cable.

I'd assume USB out to an external dac/amp still works.

NCflZkV.jpg

You really think they are going to do that? and charge Apple Tax for it?

Tommy DJ

Really? It's got a whole battery of tubes on top of it, or is that the old one?

Yes, the amplifier is integrated in the headphone.

Bad idea, putting the amp in the headphones is going to make them tight and heavy.( See gaming cans like the Sony Pulse heaphones or Steelseries H headset.)

Tight? Who cares, that's an ergonomic consideration that you take into account if you aren't bad at your job. Weight? Yeah it adds weight but a manufacturer's job to take it into consideration.

The Beoplay H7 is only 280g and its fully wireless . The Sennheiser HD800 weigh 330g and I don't think a single person in the world thinks they're heavy or uncomfortable. Ergonomics is part of design and some companies are just bad at it or don't care.

Sony clearly couldn't give a fuck and chose to give the Sony Pulse a headband design that has a fatal flaw (i.e. snaps) rather than use one that actually works (Sony MDR-7506 or even the one in the Z7 or 1A). Realistically, I don't think they really gave a damn about the product's ergonomics..

Antiwhippy

NCflZkV.jpg

You really think they are going to do that? and charge Apple Tax for it?

Who do what?

I'm just highlighting the directions some headphone companies are going at.

I don't use an iPhone anyway so it doesn't matter to me, and even then I output the music through the mojo anyway.

jesalr

Hmm, you can try cdjapan if you don't mind importing.

Oh, forgot to ask, how will you be using them mainly? For exercise I won't actually recommend them because they stick out too much.

You can have a look at Trinity audio. Hyperion's to me are pretty good value for the price. Haven't heard the rest but they're generally considered pretty good. Generally v-shaped with strong bass, but they come with tuning filters for you to play around the sound with.

https://trinity-audio-engineering.myshopify.com/collections/all

Wasn't looking for anything exercise related, really. The X2s were just because they were wireless in ears.

Will have a look at the trinitys

I tend to listen largely to hip-hop, R&B, and podcasts. So something a bit bassier tends to suit me.

SpecX

So I decided on the NVX Audio XPT100, price was good and reviews on Amazon were mostly positive. I'm going to be using these for an 8+ hour flight, so the praise on the comfort was a definite plus for me.

Xander51

I've been thinking of finally picking up a pair of V-moda Crossfade M100's. I love their compact design and the sound seems fun. Anyone love/hate these headphones? Reviews out there seem mostly positive, though opinions vary wildly on comfort.

Managed to get a pair of the AKG Q 701 Quincy's from Amazon today. Should be a nice upgrade from my Sennheiser HD 555's right? Either way, I need new cans because the plastic is slowly cracking more and more on those. Couldn't resist at that price for the 701's

mr stroke

Managed to get a pair of the AKG Q 701 Quincy's from Amazon today. Should be a nice upgrade from my Sennheiser HD 555's right? Either way, I need new cans because the plastic is slowly cracking more and more on those. Couldn't resist at that price for the 701's

SOB they sold out

Been eyeing those green 701's for years as extra gaming cans :(

leng jai

I hope you read up on their sound signature before buying. They sound vastly different to the HD555 - much brighter with exceptionally anaemic mid bass (though it's fairly deep). The soundstage is huge but slightly unnatural sounding. It really is a night and day difference between your typical Sennheiser house sound. They are harder to drive than the HD555s for sure, so an amp of some sort would be beneficial.

$100USD is a crazy good price so you can't really go wrong though.

Kudo

O2+DAC is in customs, so should arrive tomorrow if I'm lucky, if not then Monday. Going to be fun to compare Integrated->Bravura->O2+DAC, can't wait.

Also gotta big give props to Head 'n' Hifi Walter for great service, they shipped it from their another office in Germany to save shipping costs and faster shipping (Crazy fast, only 1½ days and it's already in my country), and refunded me 12 euros from the postages.

Blitzhex

EMU-Teak has dropped on Massdrop for $450. Supposedly like the Fostex TH600, 900 and x00, these are based upon the old denon d5000/7000 series.

Anybody heard these or read impressions? I was planning on jumping on the next thx00 drop, but these look really nice too. Apparently the wood is much nicer in quality and durability.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-mu-teak-headphones

Creative picking up where Denon left off, but I never liked the silver trim they've always used. The wood does come in really nice option though.

LQX

EMU-Teak has dropped on Massdrop for $450. Supposedly like the Fostex TH600, 900 and x00, these are based upon the old denon d5000/7000 series.

Anybody heard these or read impressions? I was planning on jumping on the next thx00 drop, but these look really nice too. Apparently the wood is much nicer in quality and durability.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-mu-teak-headphones
They caught my eyes also. Surprisingly it is Creative which is selling them so I'm wondering why you can hardly find them for sale anywhere. I also fear for the resale value if I decide to part with them as there is so little info on them out there but the consensus from the few that have tried seems to place them between the TH-X00 and TH-900 with a better ear-cup design which some say actually gives it a unique sound?

They also seem to have debuted at close to the same price as the TH-900 at $999 so I don't think they were ever intended to yolk people in like the TH-X00 price point.
http://m.creative.com/sg/p/headphones-headsets/e-mu-teak

Are you going to get them? I'm tempted but I'm still slightly annoyed at the cable from the TH-X00 so waiting to see the TH-610.

Creative picking up where Denon left off, but I never liked the silver trim they've always used. The wood does come in really nice option though.

The wood options really are beautiful.

They caught my eyes also. Surprisingly it is Creative which is selling them so I'm wondering why you can hardly find them for sale anywhere. I also fear for the resale value if I decide to part with them as there is so little info on them out there but the consensus from the few that have tried seems to place them between the TH-X00 and TH-900 with a better ear-cup design which some say actually gives it a unique sound?

They also seem to have debuted at close to the same price as the TH-900 at $999 so I don't think they were ever intended to yolk people in like the TH-X00 price point.
http://m.creative.com/sg/p/headphones-headsets/e-mu-teak

Are you going to get them? I'm tempted but I'm still slightly annoyed at the cable from the TH-X00 so waiting to see the TH-610.

I can't decide. If I do, I will probably wait for another drop. I'm scared for the same reason you stated. Being a relatively new design with not very much exposure, I would probably eat a good amount of the cost if I decide I don't like them. I also don't like very hot treble and if it's closer to the th900 in that regard rather than the thx00, then I probably won't like them.

If I wait for the thx00, at least I'll know I can sell them for close to what I paid if I don't like them. Those cups though...

Edit: Not too worried about the cable though. Plenty of cable modders on head-fi to talk me through my own, or I can just send them my headphone.

wilflare

O2+DAC is in customs, so should arrive tomorrow if I'm lucky, if not then Monday. Going to be fun to compare Integrated->Bravura->O2+DAC, can't wait.

Also gotta big give props to Head 'n' Hifi Walter for great service, they shipped it from their another office in Germany to save shipping costs and faster shipping (Crazy fast, only 1½ days and it's already in my country), and refunded me 12 euros from the postages.

let me know your thoughts. really thinking of getting a set myself for home use.

the Audinst HUD MX-1 would probably be brought to my office.

guess I'll need a second pair of cans to leave at the office as well.

Hip Hop

Newegg via Ebay has the Philips SHP9500 Over-Ear Headphones for $59.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHP...854860?hash=item58bd59188c:g:EkcAAOSwrklU22cy

I guess Phillips decided to still make them after they got popular. Believe the hype, these headphone are amazing for this price. I blind bought them before they got popular and was amazed. They stack up well to the HD598 and they almost as comfortable. One warning though, the pads super absorbent so if you sweat a lot these things will soak up the sweat to the point you can squeeze them out like oranges.
I think it's still old stock, and by the looks of it, they aren't really flying off the sales as I would have imagined. Surprised as these are still greatly talked about.

Anyway, just bought them now as the price is still going. The hype of these from a while ago got to me lol. Will get a V-Moda Boom mic to go along with it.

number11

I kinda miss my Grado SR80s. They only work with specific tracks, but when they work they sound amazing.

Are the higher end Grados worth the price tag?

I hope you read up on their sound signature before buying. They sound vastly different to the HD555 - much brighter with exceptionally anaemic mid bass (though it's fairly deep). The soundstage is huge but slightly unnatural sounding. It really is a night and day difference between your typical Sennheiser house sound. They are harder to drive than the HD555s for sure, so an amp of some sort would be beneficial.

$100USD is a crazy good price so you can't really go wrong though.

Yeah, from what I read they fit the sound profile I tend to look for. I think I should be able to drive them without much issue but I am in the market for a headphone amp for my turntable. The headphone out on my NAD amp isn't great.

RedAssedApe

Banned
bought a cheap pair of iems for noise isolation and thought they sounded and isolated like shit at first.

then i sealed properly...lol...genius

leng jai

bought a cheap pair of iems for noise isolation and thought they sounded and isolated like shit at first.

then i sealed properly...lol...genius

I've always wondered how many people buy IEMs and never get a proper seal. They must sound like absolute garbage.

I kinda miss my Grado SR80s. They only work with specific tracks, but when they work they sound amazing.

Are the higher end Grados worth the price tag?

People are pretty divisive over what makes for the higher price of the higher end Grados. The have a pretty polarizing sound signature no matter what model you get.

Personally, I plan on just getting an SR-60 at some point, maybe an SR-225 if I buy used and just put some wood cups on them myself.

Tommy DJ

Grado definitely seems to make a fair bit of money with their products but none of their products have improved. Their headphones are still pretty junky where you can apply simple mods that fix their main critical flaws and their cartridges are pretty temperamental compared to, say, Ortofon's offerings.

If you want to trust graphs, its really safe to say that they actually regressed as the Joe Grado products of old like the HP1000 actually appear to house drivers that don't measure like $2 headphones. Like the Koss PortaPro legitimately has better impulse, square wave, and distortion characteristics than the entire current Grado lineup and that's an ancient mid 1980s headphone that costs like $50.

Subjectively Grado's headphones are probably alright if you like that sort of sound signature but they're still terrible from any objective point of view. Buying their high end lineup seems to be the easiest way to set fire on your money to be honest.

Jzero

I'm at CanJam and I learned that there is not much of a difference with any headphone above $400 (compared to my Philips X2) unless you have amazing hearing.

• The HD 800 S are hella comfortable 💆

• I think I also like tube sound better.

• I like the Fostex TH-X00, the cups are weird (good weird)

• Oppo's stuff sounds so good

• Riva Turbo X is the best portable speaker I've heard

• Ossic X sounded dope with music, you guys were wrong 😬

leng jai

I'm at CanJam and I learned that there is not much of a difference with any headphone above $400 (compared to my Philips X2) unless you have amazing hearing.

• The HD 800 S are hella comfortable 💆

• I think I also like tube sound better.

• I like the Fostex TH-X00, the cups are weird (good weird)

• Oppo's stuff sounds so good

• Riva Turbo X is the best portable speaker I've heard

• Ossic X sounded dope with music, you guys were wrong 😬

The difference isn't proportional to the price but to say there's barely any is just incorrect. CanJam isn't an environment that you can make any proper conclusions from either. It's funny you've specifically said Oppo headphones sound great since that is one brand where their $400 offering is by far their best and pretty close to this high end cans that cost 2-3 times the price.

Sweet, my AKG 701's came today. Very comfy and loving the sound already. Even better sound stage and brightnes than my HD 555's. So glad I jumped on that amazon goldbox deal. I haven't had any upgrade in headphones or IEM's in years. Now to get that headphone amp for my turntable.

RedAssedApe

Banned
any advice on how to clean foam/glider tips? these seem like they are gonna get gross real quick even if you keep your ears relatively clean lol

Antiwhippy

any advice on how to clean foam/glider tips? these seem like they are gonna get gross real quick even if you keep your ears relatively clean lol

You don't, that's why I try to find silicon tips that fit me, because foam tips nearly fell like a racket with how often I have to replace them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
You don't, that's why I try to find silicon tips that fit me, because foam tips nearly fell like a racket with how often I have to replace them.

Yeah. I've only worn a week and I feel like using the gliders that came with my ety kids is gonna be cost prohibitive.

Problem is the flanges that came with them aren't very comfortable so far either. Guess I'll see if I can get used to them as this is the first time I've used iems.

Noise isolation is superb when they seal. Goodbye loud mechanical keyboards and noisy workplace. Happy so far. Just looking long term in regards to maintenance costs.

Kudo

Finally it is here!

Been spending today listening to different kinds of music and trying few headphones (ATH-M50x & HD555) and I must say I'm very impressed.
Audio is so much cleaner and well-articulated, I don't really have anything bad to say about it. Build quality is superb, feels like tank and it was lot smaller than I expected.
Difference to integrated is day and night and prefer the O2 over Bravura too, though Bravura sounds good too.
Not often I get this kind of "instant gratification" from purchases, but I now I feel it was definitely worth every penny. Head 'n' Hifi Walter even included vitamin lollipop with the package, great service.

To end with a question, should I turn the volume knob to 0 before turning power off or is it safe with these to just turn off power from the device and leave volume knob where I found the sweet spot? And what "default format" should I use, I set it as 24bit, 48000hz for now as that was what I had on other devices.

Xander51

Finally it is here!

Been spending today listening to different kinds of music and trying few headphones (ATH-M50x & HD555) and I must say I'm very impressed.
Audio is so much cleaner and well-articulated, I don't really have anything bad to say about it. Build quality is superb, feels like tank and it was lot smaller than I expected.
Difference to integrated is day and night and prefer the O2 over Bravura too, though Bravura sounds good too.
Not often I get this kind of "instant gratification" from purchases, but I now I feel it was definitely worth every penny. Head 'n' Hifi Walter even included vitamin lollipop with the package, great service.

To end with a question, should I turn the volume knob to 0 before turning power off or is it safe with these to just turn off power from the device and leave volume knob where I found the sweet spot? And what "default format" should I use, I set it as 24bit, 48000hz for now as that was what I had on other devices.

24bit/48khz should be just fine, especially if you're not playing back any high res audio files.

I always turn the volume knob on my amps down when I'm finished. Not so much because I'm worried about breaking it, but because I switch headphones on a regular basis and they all have different sensitivities, and so I want to use different volumes. I've accidentally blasted myself with loud audio a couple of times.

The safest way to find a good volume is to start at zero and slowly work your way up. That's also better than driving a sudden amount of power into a headphone, as would happen with the knob turned up when you switch the power on. This can cause an unpleasant "pop" sound when the amp comes on, and in extreme cases, could possibly damage headphone drivers.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I'm a home theater guy, have some OK stuff speaker wise. Been using gaming headsets since forever, never stepped anywhere else. I bought a Samson meteor mic a year or so ago, but kept using my Tritton headset through on board sound. They broke, finally said fuck it, ordered a few sets to compare along with a zxr soundcard. I have the Sennheiser HD598s here to test, will get Beyerdynamic 990 pro (250 ohm) and AKG Q701s tomorrow. May the best set win.

<--- Headphone noob.

Buying headphones appears to be addictive. So I picked up Audio-Technica-ATH-M50 just before they released the M50x (still hurts). Then the Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition. And now just this past weekend, the Sennheiser G4MEZERO. I know I'm not getting the most of these headsets as I've just been running them straight from their sources (pc, ps4 ect.) So anyone care to give me a crash course on amps and dacs (have no clue what that is or how it's different then an amp) and recommendations for a noob? Primary usage will be gaming and movies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Think I'm gonna drop the ZxR soundcard. Looks like I can get this Magni 2 amp which is supposed to be ok to drive and a cheaper soundcard that uses Dolby headphone for virtual surround. The software for this creative is pretty bad.

Oh and btw, these HD598 fucking blow every gaming headphone set I have heard clear out of the water. Games, music, youtube, alladat. Hilarious.

Top Bottom