• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

leng jai

Think I'm gonna drop the ZxR soundcard. Looks like I can get this Magni 2 amp which is supposed to be ok to drive and a cheaper soundcard that uses Dolby headphone for virtual surround. The software for this creative is pretty bad.

Oh and btw, these HD598 fucking blow every gaming headphone set I have heard clear out of the water. Games, music, youtube, alladat. Hilarious.

That's because "gaming" headphones are almost always terrible. I wouldn't even bother with Dolby Headphone, that just degrades the sound quality and doesn't even have any better imaging than a pair of headphones with a decent soundstage in stereo mode.

The only ones that even decent are the re-branded Senns, Beyers, and AudioTechnicas and you're basically paying double for the headphone equivalent just for a mic attachment.

Aren't the hyperX clouds supposed to be pretty good.

The only exception since it uses an entry level rebrand of the popular Takstar Pro 80. Still won't beat a simple HD598 + mic attachment setup though. Even the cheaper Philips shp9500 plus boompro mic should be better than a Takstar due to the open design.

HiResDes

Takstar Pro 80 doesn't have sharp treble peaks like the Phillips though, which sports a pretty intimate soundstage more reminiscent of a refined Grado, so I don't know if I would really jump to the conclusion that the Phillips is better for gaming.

Who do what?

I'm just highlighting the directions some headphone companies are going at.

I don't use an iPhone anyway so it doesn't matter to me, and even then I output the music through the mojo anyway.

Am going to try out the mojo. Have a Sony Z3 and wondered if I might have problems streaming Spotify. Have heard can be tricky with android.

WEGGLES

I'm looking for a decent set of headphones in the area of $80-120 CAD (~$90USD). They'll be for work and walking to and from work. I'd prefer closed headphones so I don't bother people around me, and ideally something comfy. A replaceable cable that uses a standard 3.5mm jack on both ends would be strongly preferred! I had these monoprice headphones but they didn't hold up well in the winter and the head band cracked.

Any recommendations? Budget is fairly flexible. Was looking at ATH-MX50/MX40 but it seems like the headphone end is a 2.5mm jack?

I live in Canada, but have access to a US Postal box. So USA and Canadian retailers are ok (so long as they accept a Canadian billing addr. but USA shipping :p)

Any suggestions for mics? I mainly game with my had 598s on console. I don't want to do a mod mic. Are there any alternatives?

Btw the HD800 S model headphones are the most comfortable and fucking amazing headphones I've ever heard. Holy balls.

Weggles, I'd suggest the M50x. Three different cables that are detachable and the straight cable will fit most phone cases. I use them when I travel and they're perfect. Just make sure to replace the standard ear cups. I use the shire memory foam replacements and they're incredibly comfortable.

guill

Hello guy, I was lurking for a while this thread, very useful information, I would like to have your input regarding a purchase, I was about to buy a copy of Hyper x Cloud 2 at $70.00 with Rainbow Siege. Then I saw they are not very recommended here.

I see a lot of good comments on the HD598's, right now they are $152 in Amazon but im not sure I want to spend that kind of money, next I saw your best option/suggestion are the Phillips SHP9500, $60.00 on Newegg right now, I think il go with those.

If my primary use will be PS4, sometimes PC, I know you have to pair them with the V MODA mic, got one in amazon, but do i need an AMP for that kind of setup? If so you can provide me with examples

I saw a lot of them in previous pages but im not sure which one will better suit my needs.

Thanks in advance

Takstar Pro 80 doesn't have sharp treble peaks like the Phillips though, which sports a pretty intimate soundstage more reminiscent of a refined Grado, so I don't know if I would really jump to the conclusion that the Phillips is better for gaming.

Really? I don't have the Philips but I own both the Pro 80 and hd598. The treble on the Pro 80 is still north of neutral IMO.

So how much of a difference do Dacs make? I have an e12, I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile trying to get it to work with a modi.

Edit: although I probably can't use a dac anyways. I can't figure out how I would connect it to a Walkman A25. I have all my flac files on that thing and I never use my shitty laptop.

Double edit: do I have to connect my Walkman via sub to the dac? And then somehow connect that to the amp. Lol man am I lost.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No, it's usually a micro USB connection to whatever proprietary shit sony uses.

Dunno if there's a USB out for the A25, but if you buy the A25 I think a DAC is kinda redundant.

No, it's usually a micro USB connection to whatever proprietary shit sony uses.

Dunno if there's a USB out for the A25, but if you buy the A25 I think a DAC is kinda redundant.
So I don't really need a dac with my A25? That's what I'm wondering too. I love how it sounds, just wondering if a dac would improve it.

I think I figured it out a bit. I use a B to female A USB to connect the Walkman to the dac. And then a RCA to Aux cable to connect to the amp. Lol

Antiwhippy

Yeah don't worry about it. At some point the gains are so minimal that doesn't make up for the loss in form factor.

I love using my mojo with my phone, but if I'm buying a dedicated DAP I'll use it standalone. If not what's the point?

Yeah don't worry about it. At some point the gains are so minimal that doesn't make up for the loss in form factor.

I love using my mojo with my phone, but if I'm buying a dedicated DAP I'll use it standalone. If not what's the point?
Ok, good to know.

Yeah I really dig my A25.

Hmmm maybe a better amp would improve sound? Lol damn this hobby, the better the music sounds the more I want.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I really liked the HD598 set, now I have the DT990s and they also sound really good. Playing games is much better than with the Sennheisers. They are much less comfortable though, and the cable is much shorter. It isn't detachable, either. Going to spend a few more days with them and this Q701 before I make my choice. Definitely going to go and get that Schiit amp before I send anything back, as well.

HiResDes

I really liked the HD598 set, now I have the DT990s and they also sound really good. Playing games is much better than with the Sennheisers. They are much less comfortable though, and the cable is much shorter. It isn't detachable, either. Going to spend a few more days with them and this Q701 before I make my choice. Definitely going to go and get that Schiit amp before I send anything back, as well.
If you bought the 250 OHM version of the DT990 which are constantly on sale then they absolute need to be amped to sound their best.

<--- Headphone noob.

Buying headphones appears to be addictive. So I picked up Audio-Technica-ATH-M50 just before they released the M50x (still hurts). Then the Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition. And now just this past weekend, the Sennheiser G4MEZERO. I know I'm not getting the most of these headsets as I've just been running them straight from their sources (pc, ps4 ect.) So anyone care to give me a crash course on amps and dacs (have no clue what that is or how it's different then an amp) and recommendations for a noob? Primary usage will be gaming and movies.

No replies? Hmmm...tough crowd. Maybe if I simplify my question.

I have...
Audio-Technica-ATH-M50
Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition
Sennheiser G4MEZERO

Using them for...
Movies and gaming on PC and PS4

Should I get an Amp? Dac? Both?

Recommendations?

HiResDes

First of all you're wasting money, the Sennheiser gaming set is basically the 598 with a mic attached for all intensive purposes and the M50 doesn't really have the precision for gaming so it's also kind of redundant for those specific purposes. The headsets you bought all sound fine without an amp, but the 598s scale fairly well so I'd just stick with something very basic like even a Schiit Fulla or an entry level ASUS Xonar soundcard.

First of all you're wasting money, the Sennheiser gaming set is basically the 598 with a mic attached for all intensive purposes and the M50 doesn't really have the precision for gaming so it's also kind of redundant for those specific purposes. The headsets you bought all sound fine without an amp, but the 598s scale fairly well so I'd just stick with something very basic like even a Schiit Fulla or an entry level ASUS Xonar soundcard.

Hmmm. The 598SE are open back though whereas the G4MEZEROs are closed back. Wouldn't that make a difference in sound. And I plug the headphone jack into the port on the dualshock 4 how would I add a mic in that situation to use alongside of the 598SE?

Regarding Schiit Fulla, it connects to the source via USB? So I'd need a VERY long USB cable extension if I'm using the headset with my PS4 right?

PS4->USB Cable Exension->Schiit->Headset right?

Thanks for the response btw.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If you bought the 250 OHM version of the DT990 which are constantly on sale then they absolute need to be amped to sound their best.

Yea the ZxR soundcard is amping them now, but I dont know how good it is really in comparison to anything else.

Xander51

Hello guy, I was lurking for a while this thread, very useful information, I would like to have your input regarding a purchase, I was about to buy a copy of Hyper x Cloud 2 at $70.00 with Rainbow Siege. Then I saw they are not very recommended here.

I see a lot of good comments on the HD598's, right now they are $152 in Amazon but im not sure I want to spend that kind of money, next I saw your best option/suggestion are the Phillips SHP9500, $60.00 on Newegg right now, I think il go with those.

If my primary use will be PS4, sometimes PC, I know you have to pair them with the V MODA mic, got one in amazon, but do i need an AMP for that kind of setup? If so you can provide me with examples

I saw a lot of them in previous pages but im not sure which one will better suit my needs.

Thanks in advance

I actually really dig my HyperX Cloud II's. For the price they're pretty much unbeatable if you're down with a mostly neutral sound signature. They also have a detachable mic, and they work just fine plugged into the PS4 controller.

The other two headsets you listed are open, and while they'll have a wider soundstage, I personally prefer closed headphones because I live in a noisy apartment and sometimes use my headphones in public places like coffee shops. Just my input. I realize it's not what you might have been looking for.

The PS4 works with any DAC/Amp that uses standard USB 2 audio, although your mileage may vary on individual models. None of the headphones you've listed require an amp to power them well. With an Amp on the PS4, as discussed for another person's setup here, you'll have to run the headphones off the amp plugged in through USB, and the mic through the controller, I think. I'm not sure actually if a headset plugged in through USB to an amp to the PS4 will allow the mic to work but perhaps someone else can chime in.

I picked up the 598's and loving them. (After comparing with the grado 225's which sounded livelier imo, but were way less comfortable.)
Would an amp make much difference and what should I be looking for, nothing expensive but nicely done.

So I just recently ordered a near mint used pair of the original Hifiman he-400 for $185. After missing out on that refurbished deal from hifiman, I needed to find these elsewhere to try out. Will post impressions when they come in. While the 400i I owned was similar in tonality to my hd650, the 400 should be pretty different from what I'm used to, I'm looking forward to it.

I picked up the 598's and loving them. (After comparing with the grado 225's which sounded livelier imo, but were way less comfortable.)
Would an amp make much difference and what should I be looking for, nothing expensive but nicely done.

The 598 can scale a little bit. Something like a Schiit Fulla for $80 would be a solid choice.

LQX

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones?mode=guest_open

Damn, wish they would sell those wood cups separately for people that already have the th-x00.
Shit, I really don't want to buy another one. That looks gorgeous in those shots.

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.or...eart-measurements-and-quick-impressions.1681/
More shots.

I think I actually prefer the look of the mahogany....but I'm fucking back in. Will order a pair in the morning.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, apparently the audeze sine has been pretty well received, and compares very favorably against the pm-3.

For its price, I might consider it to have a closed back option.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones?mode=guest_open

Damn, wish they would sell those wood cups separately for people that already have the th-x00.
Shit, I really don't want to buy another one. That looks gorgeous in those shots.

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.or...eart-measurements-and-quick-impressions.1681/
More shots.

I think I actually prefer the look of the mahogany....but I'm fucking back in. Will order a pair in the morning.

I'm in. Setting my alarm early tomorrow morning.

Kudo

More shots.

Looks sweet, shame I already have the original ordered, would love to pay the price difference to get 'em looking like that..

Kudo

Hah, I already have shoes that's taking 3 months to be made, I don't really want to wait that long for headphones.

Yeah, thinking I'll stick with the mahogany TH-X00, one month I can somehow handle but 3 months now.. Not so sure.
And if it's right that the purpleheart sound different I'd like to hear opinions on them first too, I guess they'll be available later in life if I decide the mahogany looks lame. Mahogany is okay but I prefer some colour and purpleheart reminds me of TH-900 which to my eye are one of the best looking woodies.

Antiwhippy

It's 5 months instead!

The TH900's finish is more elaborate than the simple lacquer gloss that both the TH-6XX use.

Also yeah there is a tiny bit of difference according to SBAF. Slightly less treble ringing iirc.

Blitzhex

I actually prefer the look of the purpleheart over the th900. You can't even see the wood grain on the 900 because they put a bunch of silver flakes over it.

5dc80660_DSC_9945.jpeg

index.php

Top Bottom