• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Hmmm. The 598SE are open back though whereas the G4MEZEROs are closed back. Wouldn't that make a difference in sound. And I plug the headphone jack into the port on the dualshock 4 how would I add a mic in that situation to use alongside of the 598SE?

Regarding Schiit Fulla, it connects to the source via USB? So I'd need a VERY long USB cable extension if I'm using the headset with my PS4 right?

PS4->USB Cable Exension->Schiit->Headset right?

Thanks for the response btw.

I tried the g4meszeros and didn't like them. They're based on the Sennheiser HD 380 Pros (I have a pair of those as well) but there was something about the construction that bothered me. They sounded good though.

I can't say I'm comfortable enough to do that to them... hrm.

I've been using a pair of Astro a40s for the longest time for gaming if I need a mic. They don't sound as good as the 598s but they're still pretty damn good. My wife uses the other pair we have. maybe a mod mic is what I need to go with. Preciate the answer.

Anyway, I'm at the point where I'm out of the headphone game unless I become a multi millionaire. The promised land (lol) is the HD 800-S and there's nothing better that I've ever heard.

Kudo

Trying to get used to the thought that mine will be mahogany, can't really justify the wait.
Mistakenly read that it was 3 months away until Antiwhippy corrected me that it's 5 months, just can't.. But damn they're sexy.
I hope I will get used to the mahogany look, is there any place with delicious pictures of them so that I can get myself hyped?

LQX

Same. 3 minutes and already 250 sold.

Did you order as soon as it went live? I felt there was a stagger in the counter so I hope I got in under 250. Sure many were waiting for the very second like us but when I refreshed after ordering it was at 235 but it took a few minutes go past 250. I would think a lot more orders got in within those few minutes but the counter seemingly did not reflect that so I think there might be a few very disappointed they did not get a low though they ordered before the counter showed 250

Trying to get used to the thought that mine will be mahogany, can't really justify the wait.
Mistakenly read that it was 3 months away until Antiwhippy corrected me that it's 5 months, just can't.. But damn they're sexy.
I hope I will get used to the mahogany look, is there any place with delicious pictures of them so that I can get myself hyped?

Don't worry, they are absolutely beautiful in person.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/lightbox/

DryvBy

I just bought the AKG Q 701s and had a dumb question. I don't need any extra amp if I'm plugging these into my computer using a CLabs X-Fi Titanium, correct?

Isaccard

Got my orders in. Deal is live.

My wallet is ready when you decide to sell :D

Trying to stop myself from pulling the trigger on them right now... I love the Mahagony's so much but dat purple...

I'm guessing it's going to sound similar to the TH900's

LQX

According to a rep for E-MU in the E-MU Teak Headphones drop they will get a detachable cable drop in a few months.

chan_emu: We target to get the detachable cable ready in 3 months time.
We are likely to offer with additional cost of $25.

Glad I held off. And what terrible timing for this drop. First the detachable cable announcement from a rep, then the "Purpleheart" announcement. I'm surprised many more did not cancel.

Trying to stop myself from pulling the trigger on them right now... I love the Mahagony's so much but dat purple...

Ha, I most likely will after a few weeks with them as I hate that damn cord but I must hear these as I loved the mahogany version.

Li Kao

Gaf, I need your help here. Badly.
So I'm an audio noob and must change my headphone. It was relatively low cost (80$ I think) and served me well, a few too many rolls of the chair on its cable really took their toll. Now the thing likes to deliver sound in one hear. I mean you can have the other hear if you want. Both you say ? Wellllll you can do that too but there is a high probability of parasitic noises during certains sounds (frequencies ?).
So yeah, it is time.

Usage ? High gaming, Middle to high Movies and Music. So I would like to buy a good one.

Do I need a sound card ? I have an Asus P8P67 LE, does it have good integrated audio ?
I hear that Hi-Fi headphones are better than gaming ones ?
So I would have to buy a separate mic ? Are there good ones ? (not a priority)

Really the thing is, I could see myself putting ~200€ on it and I really want a good quality product that I won't regret buying. A mid to long term purchase.

So I'm an audio noob and must change my headphone. It was relatively low cost (80$ I think) and served me well, a few too many rolls of the chair on its cable really took their toll. Now the thing likes to deliver sound in one hear. I mean you can have the other hear if you want. Both you say ? Wellllll you can do that too but there is a high probability of parasitic noises during certains sounds (frequencies ?).
So yeah, it is time.

Usage ? High gaming, Middle to high Movies and Music. So I would like to buy a good one.

Do I need a sound card ? I have an Asus P8P67 LE, does it have good integrated audio ?

Really the thing is, I could see myself putting ~200€ on it and I really want a good quality product that I won't regret buying. A mid to long term purchase.
You can get the Sennhesier HD 598 and add in a mic. Those are really great headphones from what many users say for gaming.

LQX

So yeah, it is time.

My motherboard had the same audio as your motherboard and yes, a sound card or DAC/AMP will make a big difference so I would for sure do an upgrade on that end if you get new headphones.

With your budget maybe get the Sennheiser - HD598? They are amazing for games, movies and music. And with the Sound Blaster Z you would not need a mic as it comes with one.

If you are looking to get a gaming headset though the HyperX Cloud II gets a lot of praise and is fairly cheap. Everything in one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SAYCXWG/

Did you order as soon as it went live? I felt there was a stagger in the counter so I hope I got in under 250. Sure many were waiting for the very second like us but when I refreshed after ordering it was at 235 but it took a few minutes go past 250. I would think a lot more orders got in within those few minutes but the counter seemingly did not reflect that so I think there might be a few very disappointed they did not get a low though they ordered before the counter showed 250

Yep, I was hitting F5 for about a minute. By the time my order went all the way through, it was up to 170 something I think.

Purrin from SBAF said that the difference was so subtle, we may not even notice it. Should sound pretty much like the mahogany version, maybe with a smoother treble.

Quick question since I can't find anything online.

Portability aside, would the Magni 2 give me better results than the E12 or are they basically the same? The E12 is actually more expensive and I like it but I'm looking to getting a non portable amp.

Is it worth it? Or should I save up and get a higher tier amp?

Quick question since I can't find anything online.

Portability aside, would the Magni 2 give me better results than the E12 or are they basically the same? The E12 is actually more expensive and I like it but I'm looking to getting a non portable amp.

Is it worth it? Or should I save up and get a higher tier amp?

The Magni 2 will have a lot more headroom to play with. I'm not sure how the e12 would compare quality wise though. If you don't need portability, then it's generally recommended to get a full desktop setup.

The Magni 2 will have a lot more headroom to play with. I'm not sure how the e12 would compare quality wise though. If you don't need portability, then it's generally recommended to get a full desktop setup.
Ok cool. Hmmm I'll see if I can find any info on quality vs the e12

I would be surprised if the e12 was better at anything besides portability.
Yeah that's what I feel. I can't find anything that compares the two. I love the portability but I don't know, I usually just listen to music in my room anyways so I want a quality boost now too. Any amps you recommend? Budget is kinda low but if it's worth saving up for something decent then I don't mind.

Yeah that's what I feel. I can't find anything that compares the two. I love the portability but I don't know, I usually just listen to music in my room anyways so I want a quality boost now too. Any amps you recommend? Budget is kinda low but if it's worth saving up for something decent then I don't mind.

Unless you need portability, the Magni is incredibly hard to beat at that price. Do you have a DAC already?

Unless you need portability, the Magni is incredibly hard to beat at that price. Do you have a DAC already?
Ok I'm really considering the Magni, not sure if über or not but Magni sure.

no no Dac yet. I mainly use a Walkman A25 with flac files and the e12. Someone else on here said that a DAC would be redundant since it's a DAP but I'm still in the fence on whether I might see some improvements getting a DAC.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gotta say, from what little I've heard of the sine, it's definitely an option I would consider when looking for a close back. Feels a lot more engaging than the pm3.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-purpleheart-headphones?mode=guest_open

Damn, wish they would sell those wood cups separately for people that already have the th-x00.
Shit, I really don't want to buy another one. That looks gorgeous in those shots.

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.or...eart-measurements-and-quick-impressions.1681/
More shots.

As a D7000 owner, I can't recommend buying into this family of headphones enough. I think I'm going to buy a pair of these just so that I can retire my D7000s into their nice box. I wear my D7000s for probably 10 hours a day and have since 2012 or 2013. I've tried many headphones since, but the D7000s are always the ones I come back to.

Buy with confidence if you can stand the wait. I know I will.

wilflare

how does the Fostex compare to the X1?
I'm generally looking for comfort, fun sounding headphones (so I can listen for long hours simple tunes without getting a headache thereafter)

LQX

I've never ordered from Massdrop.
Are they a charge when ship place? I'm guessing no.
No, they charge you as soon as the drop ends regardless of how far out the shipping date is. Which is sort of fucked up considering that with this latest drop they will have the funds for at-least 5 months before they begin shipping.

No, they charge you as soon as the drop ends regardless of how far out the shipping date is. Which is sort of fucked up considering that with this latest drop they will have the funds for at-least 5 months before they begin shipping.

They really need to change that policy. It's really messed up. If I'm spending $450 right NOW, then I shouldn't have to wait 5 months. I understand and am perfectly alright waiting until August, but don't charge my card until then.

HiResDes

how does the Fostex compare to the X1?
I'm generally looking for comfort, fun sounding headphones (so I can listen for long hours simple tunes without getting a headache thereafter)
This is just an educated guess but having heard the old Denon D2000 I'm guessing even greater bass impact with superior subbass quality, less treble, and a warmer midrange. Probably slightly narrower soundstage.

Blitzhex

As a D7000 owner, I can't recommend buying into this family of headphones enough. I think I'm going to buy a pair of these just so that I can retire my D7000s into their nice box. I wear my D7000s for probably 10 hours a day and have since 2012 or 2013. I've tried many headphones since, but the D7000s are always the ones I come back to.

Buy with confidence if you can stand the wait. I know I will.

I suggest trying out the alpha pads on your d7k. Since you've had them for so long, it might be a refreshing change. I've got them on my th-x00 and the comfort is beyond amazing. I use them for hours at a time as well.

Antiwhippy

Such a sum of money up front, for a 5+ month advance, is pretty nuts to me.

That's just how made to order is though. They need to guarantee the capital up front before making it. That's how it works for MTO clothes, though they also just mostly charge a partial down payment.

Make sure you give impressions! I've been dying those iem for a while now.

Will do. Looking forward to comparing it with my harmony and hd600.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dumb question about impedance. I don't remember much of anything about it (high school was a while ago), so it's not a very technical question.

I (still) have taped up HD555s, that I run through my AV receiver. I feel like the volume necessary to get the best sound out of them is too high though. I assume this means it would be a good idea to get some higher impedance headphones when I replace these? DT990s seem like a pair I'd enjoy the sound of, but with like four different models I'd like to make sure I get one with ideal impedance. Assuming I decide to go with those, who knows.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Magni 2 and Modi 2 hooked up. I been testing a bunch of sets because I have problems. Currently running the Fidelio X2s, which are fantastic. The very last set I have coming in to test are the AKG K712 Pros which I hear are very good for music. I might just keep the Fidelios for games and those for music if I notice a big enough difference. Overall, however, what an eye opening experience this has been. The difference in quality, the jump I have done, is just hilarious. I went from Tritton 5.1 headsets through on board soundcard to X2s through a standalone amp and dac. Not gonna go back.

Xander51

Magni 2 and Modi 2 hooked up. I been testing a bunch of sets because I have problems. Currently running the Fidelio X2s, which are fantastic. The very last set I have coming in to test are the AKG K712 Pros which I hear are very good for music. I might just keep the Fidelios for games and those for music if I notice a big enough difference. Overall, however, what an eye opening experience this has been. The difference in quality, the jump I have done, is just hilarious. I went from Tritton 5.1 headsets through on board soundcard to X2s through a standalone amp and dac. Not gonna go back.

Haha wow yeah, I can't even imagine what that jump was like. I switched to more traditional audiophile gear like...gosh, 14 years ago now? Back when gaming headphones were barely a thing and way more ridiculous.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Read the OP, that's the opposite of what you want...

I don't understand.

OP says you use amps with high impedance headphones, and since an AV receiver functions like an amp in this situation I figured I'd want something with higher impedance.

So if I want something that will sound better from my receiver at lower volumes I want lower impedance (so for the DT990, the 32ohm one)?

HiResDes

Most receivers aren't high functioning headphone amps and yes therefore the lower the impedance and higher the sensitivity the better it will sound at lower volumes

Antiwhippy

Damping factor is also a consideration. Typically you'd want your amp's output impedance to be 8x lower than your headphones's input impedance.

Top Bottom