• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, the Out of Your Head speaker virtualisation software is on massdrop now.

Anyone has any experience with it?

diaspora

Anyone have any experience with modular earbuds? The Shure 215s use the removable cables but I'm wondering if there are other brands that do this.

Haroon

Hmm, the Out of Your Head speaker virtualisation software is on massdrop now.

Anyone has any experience with it?

I've read up on it for a bit. Everyone that has tried it really likes it. I don't really want to give it a shot at this point, but I might bite when it gets to the lowest price on Massdrop.

So I broke down and ordered a Magni 2. Thanks to the T5Ps I'm noticing more and more the unnatural quality the slightly forward mids of the Little Dot I+ gives music. That, and I think the pin terminals are oxidizing on one side, which is causing random noise, forcing me to wiggle the tube until it stops.

I loved this little amp, but tubes are a little high-maintenance for me.

My Valhalla 2 hasn't required any maintenance at all. It's pushing my HD 800 S without issue and no random noises. Sorry to hear a tube amp is giving you trouble. If you decide to get back into tube stuff my valhalla 2 has been awesome.

I have a Magni 2 Uber and a Modi 2 Uber as my desk top setup as well. Good stuff.

My Valhalla 2 hasn't required any maintenance at all. It's pushing my HD 800 S without issue and no random noises. Sorry to hear a tube amp is giving you trouble. If you decide to get back into tube stuff my valhalla 2 has been awesome.

I have a Magni 2 Uber and a Modi 2 Uber as my desk top setup as well. Good stuff.

I think it comes from the fact that I've put a TREMENDOUS amount of time on it. Thousands of hours over the past few years.

To it's credit, I only had to change tubes once, but it's still a bit of a hassle.

Plus that upper-mid issue. That's basically what put me over the edge.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Man, I can't believe what a step up Oppo PM-2s are from PM-3s. I have been really underwhelmed by the PM-3s, but PM-2s are really very nice.

BA First lounge has now amped units for anyone to use, smart marketing. Much bigger soundstage, better bass, super comfy. They're almost in the TH-600 territory, except in a much better form factor

If they fold nicely and come with a case I'm giving my PM-3s the boot.

JJxEeOi.jpg

EDIT - they're open backed? Travel excitement cancelled

TimeInc

does anyone have any recommendations for some over the ear headphones that don't require batteries? I have some Kef M500 headphones which are on ear but I only use them at home really so might as well get some over ear headphones that will most likely soung better and be more comfortable to wear under long durations.

Edit:
Probably willing to spend up to about £300-£350 maximum.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I don't get this. I've played Halo 5 and Blops 3 with a conventional DAC and my T1s/HD800s and the positional audio is sublime. Even something like my old pair of HD595s were insanely good in this regard.

It's absurd to me that you're going through the trouble of adding low-fi equipment to your chain and double amping just so you can get surround sound processing.

I guess I'll need to give stereo another chance. If it would work it'd be great.

Xander51

does anyone have any recommendations for some over the ear headphones that don't require batteries? I have some Kef M500 headphones which are on ear but I only use them at home really so might as well get some over ear headphones that will most likely soung better and be more comfortable to wear under long durations.

Edit:
Probably willing to spend up to about £300-£350 maximum.

The parameters you've given describe a huuuuuuuge selection of headphones. What kind of music do you like? How portable do you want them to be? What kind of player are you using?

TimeInc

The parameters you've given describe a huuuuuuuge selection of headphones. What kind of music do you like? How portable do you want them to be? What kind of player are you using?

don't really have to be portable, like i said mainly just for indoor use as already have on ear headphones and don't tend to use them when i'm walking around just indoors....
I tend to listen more rock. but generally to all types. Like a good bit of bass but not overpowering amount of it, just a good balance, I like to be able to hear all instruments clearly, and be able to hear backing vocals clearly. Closed back would be preferable as I would probably use them while recording so wouldn't want sound leakage. And yeah no battery requirement, a lot that I see use the noise cancelation where batteries are required to power it.

Possibly didn't really help narrow it down.

leng jai

Man, I can't believe what a step up Oppo PM-2s are from PM-3s. I have been really underwhelmed by the PM-3s, but PM-2s are really very nice.

BA First lounge has now amped units for anyone to use, smart marketing. Much bigger soundstage, better bass, super comfy. They're almost in the TH-600 territory, except in a much better form factor

If they fold nicely and come with a case I'm giving my PM-3s the boot.

EDIT - they're open backed? Travel excitement cancelled

When I auditioned the PM-2s I was severely underwhelmed actually, they weren't a big step up from the 3s considering they cost $300USD more, are open back and designed for home use. The entire Oppo line is pretty meh to me really, the only headphone of theirs worth buying are the PM-3. It looks like the Audeze SINE might be better portable planars but I haven't tried them. That whole 600-800 price range is awkward, it's in between the real high end flagship headphones and the value tier.

I guess I'll need to give stereo another chance. If it would work it'd be great.

Stereo is always the way to go when it comes to headphones. Just make sure you are using something like a decent soundstage. For games the K701, AD900, HD5xx, Beyer T1s and HD800s are popular when it comes with open cans.

Tommy DJ

I reckon the Audeze Sine might actually be their best effort if their measurements on Inner Fidelty are anything to go by. Good smooth FR that doesn't completely erase the upper midrange/treble region and seems to have good bass extension for what it is.

Fun fact: the Audeze Sines actually have a passive EQ circuit of sorts which will explain why they're sensitive to amp output impedance despite being planars.

Ezalc

Stopping by here to ask for some kind help and advice.

I'm building a new computer and I need a new pair of headphones. I'm using this really nasty earbuds right now that came with a cellphone and one of the sides broke off, so yeah things are grim. That said though, I also really enjoy listening to music while commuting by bus to work.

So here's the hard part. I want to get a pair of bluetooth headphones, since basically it's always the wires that end up getting destroyed with any headphone I have. This pair though, will be used while commuting to work and at home on my desktop, so it's important that the headphones can be wired as well since when being used with my desktop I'd be using them wired up.

I'd like it if they had good/great audio quality, nice bass is always important, as well as not having much sound leaking, I would want something that looks reasonably nice but "stylishness" isn't exactly high on my list but it's a nice plus though not too eye catching as I'm afraid of getting robbed due to them. Also I would like it to be portable, but these will probably spend most of their time either on my desk or just around my neck.

Finally, I have about 150 bucks to spend on these. I think that's a price range where some reasonably good stuff can be found, I hope anyway.

Summary:

I need new headphones urgently. Wants - portable, comfy, preference for over ear, nice looking but not flashy, bluetooth but can be used wired, no sound leak, nice bass, have up to 150 dollars to spend.

Can anybody help me out with this please?

leng jai

The SINE is the first Audeze headphone I would ever consider getting. Probably would have bought it already if I didn't already own the PM3s.

Kal

Hey Audio Gaf!

Looking for a good pair of headphones - I'll be using them for gaming and on my digital piano. Something that sounds great and is very comfortable. Preferably over the ear, with a detachable cable, and a microphone. Budget is up to £250 (although I'm hoping I don't sped that much :p). What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help! :)

leng jai

Hey Audio Gaf!

Looking for a good pair of headphones - I'll be using them for gaming and on my digital piano. Something that sounds great and is very comfortable. Preferably over the ear, with a detachable cable, and a microphone. Budget is up to £250 (although I'm hoping I don't sped that much :p). What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help! :)

Yeah, that's what most people probably want. Open or closed back? Whatever you do don't buy a pair with a mic attached to them. You're much better off treating the microphone and headphone as two separate pieces of equipment.

JJD

Guys anyone knows if it's safe to buy a Philips Fidelio X2 now?

I'm going to the UK in a couple of weeks, and I have wanted to get one for quite some time, but I'm concerned about the QC issues.

I don't believe I will be able to return it if I got a bad one considering I'm from LA.

I was thinking of buying it from Amazon UK since I probably won't have time to go to a physical store.

Help!

HiResDes

Stopping by here to ask for some kind help and advice.

I'm building a new computer and I need a new pair of headphones. I'm using this really nasty earbuds right now that came with a cellphone and one of the sides broke off, so yeah things are grim. That said though, I also really enjoy listening to music while commuting by bus to work.

So here's the hard part. I want to get a pair of bluetooth headphones, since basically it's always the wires that end up getting destroyed with any headphone I have. This pair though, will be used while commuting to work and at home on my desktop, so it's important that the headphones can be wired as well since when being used with my desktop I'd be using them wired up.

I'd like it if they had good/great audio quality, nice bass is always important, as well as not having much sound leaking, I would want something that looks reasonably nice but "stylishness" isn't exactly high on my list but it's a nice plus though not too eye catching as I'm afraid of getting robbed due to them. Also I would like it to be portable, but these will probably spend most of their time either on my desk or just around my neck.

Finally, I have about 150 bucks to spend on these. I think that's a price range where some reasonably good stuff can be found, I hope anyway.

Summary:

I need new headphones urgently. Wants - portable, comfy, preference for over ear, nice looking but not flashy, bluetooth but can be used wired, no sound leak, nice bass, have up to 150 dollars to spend.

Can anybody help me out with this please?
You're honestly asking for a lot in the price range no clue what fits all of that criteria especially at that budget. It would be like trying to find a car for someone that does 0 to 60 in less than six seconds, but is also roomy and can from front wheel to all wheel drive in times of need all for under $20,000. If you find a good headphone that meets all of your needs for $150 please let me know I wanna check it out as well.

Antiwhippy

Eh, it isn't all that unreasoable. A Mee Audio Matrix2 isn't going to be the most mindblowing thing you'll ever hear but it sounds pretty good while being in your price range for bluetooth headphones.

edit: though the bass isn't that great on these if that's your main criteria.

DagsJT

Guys anyone knows if it's safe to buy a Philips Fidelio X2 now?

I'm going to the UK in a couple of weeks, and I have wanted to get one for quite some time, but I'm concerned about the QC issues.

I don't believe I will be able to return it if I got a bad one considering I'm from LA.

I was thinking of buying it from Amazon UK since I probably won't have time to go to a physical store.

Help!

I bought mine from Amazon UK a few weeks ago and it's great. It was sold by Cellphone Planet but fulfilled by Amazon.

Kal

Yeah, that's what most people probably want. Open or closed back? Whatever you do don't buy a pair with a mic attached to them. You're much better off treating the microphone and headphone as two separate pieces of equipment.

Prefer open but either way I'll be happy as along as the other criteria are met. Not fussy about having a microphone - I can do without it if it means I get a better pair of headphones. The problem is I don't know where to start; there are so many brands and model so I'm hoping some you experts will be able to guide me :)

Hey guys,
I just bought my first pair of real headphones, I got the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. I was wondering what would be a good non-expensive portable dac to get for it? for when I want to use the wire. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music. I want a slightly stronger bass but I don't want it to drown out the rest of the music.

NotSelf

Hey guys,
I just bought my first pair of real headphones, I got the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. I was wondering what would be a good non-expensive portable dac to get for it? for when I want to use the wire. I listen to a lot of bass heavy music. I want a slightly stronger bass but I don't want it to drown out the rest of the music.

FiiO Q1 I don't own it but I was also interested finding a cheap one.

Schiit Stack is cute. CUTE!

I'm amazed at how much better it powers my K612s than my Little Dot I+. It's practically a night-and-day difference. Bass is, like, there!

I was super impressed with my Magni 2 uber when I had it. Big power in such a small form factor.

I've got the Vali 2 now, which is equally small aside from the tube sticking out the top.

Ezalc

You're honestly asking for a lot in the price range no clue what fits all of that criteria especially at that budget. It would be like trying to find a car for someone that does 0 to 60 in less than six seconds, but is also roomy and can from front wheel to all wheel drive in times of need all for under $20,000. If you find a good headphone that meets all of your needs for $150 please let me know I wanna check it out as well.

Eh, it isn't all that unreasoable. A Mee Audio Matrix2 isn't going to be the most mindblowing thing you'll ever hear but it sounds pretty good while being in your price range for bluetooth headphones.

edit: though the bass isn't that great on these if that's your main criteria.

Yeah I figured I was asking for a lot sorry. The main things I want are just a bluetooth headset that can be wired as well, in that price range, that has good sound and build quality.

I'm not really an audiophile, I just want to get something that I can use during commutes and at home that is a good price and sounds nice. I'm going to see this one that you suggested antiwhippy, thanks for the help. If there are any others you know of I would appreciate the suggestions.

Antiwhippy

On a note regarding cables, had a pretty interesting experience in relation to how it effects the sound. Might just in my head, but recently played around with the cables that came with the pinnacle p1 on my harmony. One really accentuated the upper mids and treble in a really harsh way, and one made the sound smoother. However, the one that really made the upper mids harsh was the "hi fi" silver copper cable, which I put it down more to the impedance mismatch with the BAs in the harmony.

Which just tells me it's not a matter of a cable being hi Fi, but more about how the impedance plays with the driver, where BAs are more sensitive to.

Ezalc

Apparently those MEEletronics one leak a lot of sound? I saw a little about these froma brand called golzer anybody know anything about them?

Antiwhippy

Never heard of them. The leakage isn't too bad but it isn't ideal.

A tiny bit above your price range but you might want to consider the planotronics backbeat pro also. THe people here who bought it seems to like them.

edit: looking into it a bit more, the XTZ divine actually looks pretty interesting. I might consider it if I ever need bluetooth headphones.

Nope, I've read they're all glued now as process had changed anyway.

Philips changed them back after all the complaints.

Honestly, they need to come out with an X3. Not just because I think there is some areas that could use improvement, but also because the X2 is always going to have this stigma around it.

Xander51

don't really have to be portable, like i said mainly just for indoor use as already have on ear headphones and don't tend to use them when i'm walking around just indoors....
I tend to listen more rock. but generally to all types. Like a good bit of bass but not overpowering amount of it, just a good balance, I like to be able to hear all instruments clearly, and be able to hear backing vocals clearly. Closed back would be preferable as I would probably use them while recording so wouldn't want sound leakage. And yeah no battery requirement, a lot that I see use the noise cancelation where batteries are required to power it.

Possibly didn't really help narrow it down.

Nad viso hp50

Ath msr7

I agree with Antiwhippy! These are good balanced models.

I was super impressed with my Magni 2 uber when I had it. Big power in such a small form factor.

I've got the Vali 2 now, which is equally small aside from the tube sticking out the top.

I'm really loving this thing. I've put a little more time on it, and I'm even noticing a difference in sound quality with my T5Ps. There seems to be less distortion in highs now. Not sure if that's because it's powering them better, or just because I don't have tube distortion now, but I like it!

Still amazed by how much the K612s improve, though. It's like the Little Dot I+ wasn't powering them at all. Their bass is almost up to the T5P's quantity now.

HiResDes

Hey guys,
For those headphones that'd be a big waste of money imo

Swhalen

Hey guys. I'm looking for a new set of headphones. I use them primarily on my commute to work and I listen to podcasts, metal , rock music etc. I also use them on my computer at home for music. I've been eyeing the V Moda Crossfade m100 but I keep reading they are made for EDM. Will these be good for me?
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

DryvBy

I got my Q 701s. Anyone recommend doing "burn in" on these? If so, how would I really do that? And what should I be listening for?

NotSelf

I got my Q 701s. Anyone recommend doing "burn in" on these? If so, how would I really do that? And what should I be listening for?

I used a sandisk mp3 player left it on all night at a listenable volume level next day the battery would be dead recharge it and repeat this for two weeks on my k702.

To be honest I really didn't hear much of a difference.

Nope, burn in won't do anything to a headphone. Just put them on and enjoy them! Any perceived differences over time is likely your ears getting used to the new frequency response.

HiResDes

Hey guys. I'm looking for a new set of headphones. I use them primarily on my commute to work and I listen to podcasts, metal , rock music etc. I also use them on my computer at home for music. I've been eyeing the V Moda Crossfade m100 but I keep reading they are made for EDM. Will these be good for me?
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
M100 definitely good for rock man

Tommy DJ

I'm really loving this thing. I've put a little more time on it, and I'm even noticing a difference in sound quality with my T5Ps. There seems to be less distortion in highs now. Not sure if that's because it's powering them better, or just because I don't have tube distortion now, but I like it!

Still amazed by how much the K612s improve, though. It's like the Little Dot I+ wasn't powering them at all. Their bass is almost up to the T5P's quantity now.

Because the Little Dot I+ is not very good. If the transformer for yours is wired for the wrong voltage, you're getting THD and IMD of over 1%, If yours is wired correctly for the correct voltage, you're getting THD and IMD of over 0.2%, which is definitely audible.

A properly designed tube amp (i.e. one from Schiit) doesn't really have more audible distortion than a decent solid state amp, except maybe down low in the bass frequencies. Its just that low end Chinese Hi-Fi products are typically pretty bad for whatever reason.

Top Bottom