• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

leng jai

Wtf, how does a little cable improve music so much. I bought the Walkman LOD cable Antiwhippy showed me and I used it with my e12. I'm hearing stuff that wasn't there lol

Mostly likely means your original cable was either atrocious or defective. There should be virtually no difference between two decent cables.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wtf, how does a little cable improve music so much. I bought the Walkman LOD cable Antiwhippy showed me and I used it with my e12. I'm hearing stuff that wasn't there lol

It just means that you aren't double amping.

Also I'll say this about the P1, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but if you were to judge the build quality and packaging between the Pinnacle P1 and Aurisonic Harmony, you wouldn't pick out the Harmony to be one that is more than double the price of the other. Very impressive from Mee audio.

Hustler

New to buying headphones. The OT is a bit overwhelming. Can you guys help me with some recommendations for price range up to $150?

I'm looking for a set of headphones that would work best for PC gaming and for use with an iPhone watching movies/listening to music. I have a business trip to China coming up, 24 hour flight.... and need something soon. I would prefer a set with 3.5mm jack since i bought the creative sound blaster Z for my new computer.

I'm really new to sound enhancements... is it better to use a 3.5mm jack or can you get the same quality through usb?

I was looking at the Creative Sound Blaster X h5 and it had fairly good reviews

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013S3UZT6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

NotSelf

New to buying headphones. The OT is a bit overwhelming. Can you guys help me with some recommendations for price range up to $150?

I'm looking for a set of headphones that would work best for PC gaming and for use with an iPhone watching movies/listening to music. I have a business trip to China coming up, 24 hour flight.... and need something soon. I would prefer a set with 3.5mm jack since i bought the creative sound blaster Z for my new computer.

I'm really new to sound enhancements... is it better to use a 3.5mm jack or can you get the same quality through usb?

The M50x is very popular I own T50RP which I modded the T50RP MK3 are good out the box without no mod.

Mostly likely means your original cable was either atrocious or defective. There should be virtually no difference between two decent cables.
It was a Fiio cable too. However the Fiio aux cable sounded better than the stock cable, and the LOD improved the sound again. Then again, could be all in my head lol

It just means that you aren't double amping.
Yeah, I'm really liking it, it sounds a lot cleaner.

HiResDes

I'd just grab some NVX XPT100's and save a bunch of money as they're just as good as most closed headphones under $200 unless you're somewhat of a basshead.

mr stroke

Hmm, interesting... I might need to try that. How did you find the double amping working between Mixamp and Magni?

Fantastic! as far as an "audio gaming set up", it doesn't really get any better. Even if you got a $1500 amp I doubt it would sound any better for games. Ive went through so many different DAC's and Amps and Receivers trying to find the perfect "gaming set up" and keep going back to the Mixamp+Magni combo.

Antiwhippy

Very quick initial listen out of my phone: The Mee Audio pinnacle P1 basically sounds like the HD600 with a hazier upper midrange. Wonder if that haze will still be present with different tips or out of the mojo, or just from listening to it more really, but I'm very impressed so far.

Also I can't overstate the built quality enough. I've handled IEMs that costs north of $1000 that don't have as good of a build as the P1.

Antiwhippy

Damn that's definitely a positive take that makes me want to hear it, similar bass quantity as well?

I'll have to go back home to actually compare them side by side, but from my memory it is pretty similar, minus the grainy upper mids.

Also I really like the cables. It's like that JH Audio style. Thick and ropey.

Hustler

I'd just grab some NVX XPT100's and save a bunch of money as they're just as good as most closed headphones under $200 unless you're somewhat of a basshead.

Great, thanks. Debating between this one and the ATH-M50x. I want one that will last a long time.

Tommy DJ

Very quick initial listen out of my phone: The Mee Audio pinnacle P1 basically sounds like the HD600 with a hazier upper midrange. Wonder if that haze will still be present with different tips or out of the mojo, or just from listening to it more really, but I'm very impressed so far.

Also I can't overstate the built quality enough. I've handled IEMs that costs north of $1000 that don't have as good of a build as the P1.

Looking at some guy's measurements, they really do measure like a pair of HD600s so I'm definitely interested. Seems like a single driver design too too so output impedance of the amp won't wreck havoc with the sound signature/crossovers.

Out of curiousity where did you buy your pair from?

Antiwhippy

Noisy Motel, which is kinda overpriced. I have no patience though and the fastest delivery from the mee audio site is kinda the same price as the price on noisy Motel. Plus I'd rather ship to a local distributor when it comes to warranty rather than deal with overseas shipping.

The smarter thing to do is probably to just buy it direct from their site.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Fantastic! as far as an "audio gaming set up", it doesn't really get any better. Even if you got a $1500 amp I doubt it would sound any better for games. Ive went through so many different DAC's and Amps and Receivers trying to find the perfect "gaming set up" and keep going back to the Mixamp+Magni combo.

Amazing. I will try the mix amp way. Out of interest, how do you set the volume between the two devices? Keep MixAmp volume fixed half way and then use the Magni to actually adjust volume?

Antiwhippy

Hmmm, I'll say this though, you better love comply or be prepared to fiddle around a bit with the p1. With comply the highs sound great, but for me the depth insertion has to be spot on for silicone tips or the highs start becoming a little sharp with very little decay.

On more direct comparisons with the hd600, I'd say bass levels are generally the same, but have their own characteristics. Hd600 being open means that it is somewhat diffused, while the p1 has a bit more body, a bit more rounded. Both have more focus on the mid bass than the sub bass, which is more something to be heard than felt. More punch from the P1. Mids are a touch recessed compared to the hd600, but not by much really. Treble profile, when the complys are used, are generally similar.

Imaging capability of the p1 is very good, the hd600 I feel presents a stronger center presence but the p1 still does it pretty well. Not the widest soundstage on both of them. Funnily enough I feel like my harmony has wider soundstage than them both.

LQX

Just got this email from Massdrop:

A Special Upgrade
A new spin on one of the most recommended headphones online, the Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Purpleheart has been flying off the site all week. Now with two days left on the drop, we’re extending a special offer to a small group of members—those who’ve been all about our custom products from the start.

Here’s the deal: One lucky purchaser will have the option for a free upgrade from his or her Purplehearts to a super sweet, super pricey setup: the Sennheiser HD800 headphones and the Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/amp (another custom collaboration from last year), whose combined value is more than $1,600. To make it a little sweeter, we are giving away a second setup to the members of the Audiophile Community as well - this automatically gives you two chances at the upgrade.

They seem sort of desperate with these and I'm not sure why. At first the initial drop was suppose to be just 1000. It sold almost all that in one day but shortly after they raised it to 2000 and sales just fell off steeply. Now this to get more sales.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just got this email from Massdrop:

They seem sort of desperate with these and I'm not sure why. At first the initial drop was suppose to be just 1000. It sold almost all that in one day but shortly after they raised it to 2000 and sales just fell off steeply. Now this to get more sales.

What the fuck. They expect me to buy just to get into the sweepstakes? Desperate isn't the word.

mr stroke

Anazing. I will try the mix amp way. Out of interest, how do you set the volume between the two devices? Keep MixAmp volume fixed half way and then use the Magni to actually adjust volume?

I set the Mixamp at about 80% volume (any more and it hisses) and adjust the Magni to the desired level.

You can also throw in a Rolls for better voice chat like this-
(from Head Fi)

Ee75KZi.jpg

Kudo

Just sent my dear DT770/600 for repairs.. Here's hoping the repairs won't cost me arm and leg, but I want them working again.
Should be fairly easy procedure with just changing the right element from the headphones but we'll see how expensive it gets.

Holy crap, the Schiit Magni 2 lit these Q701's up! Completely different cans now that they are driven properly. Can't wait to move the Magni over to my turntable later and finally listen to vinyl with headphones properly.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Had to get new tires and a soft top for my car so I bailed on the new Fostex.
I'll just wait until they release and try to get a pair second hand.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have a RX-V465 and was wondering the best way to hook this with my Xbox and my hd598's.

A few options

Since your receiver has Silent Cinema it will give you virtual surround to your headphones. So you could see whether it has enough oomph to drive your headphones directly.

A. Xbox -- HDMI --- RX-V465 -- HD598

If that's not enough, you could try adding a headphone amp to the mix

B. Xbox -- HDMI --- RX-V465 -- 6.35mm-to-RCA -- Schiit Asgard -- HD598

Or, then you could use a MixAmp with your Xbox One directly

C. Xbox -- Optical -- MixAmp Pro TR -- HD598

And if that's not enough juice, throw in a proper headphone amp to the mix

D. Xbox -- Optical -- MixAmp Pro TR -- 3.5mm-to-RCA -- Schiit Asgard -- HD598

I have been doing (A) myself, but find the power a bit lacking, so I will be trying (B), (C) and (D) this weekend, provided my MixAmp arrives.

Antiwhippy

It's a T50RP mod, so, T50RP drivers.

Always wanted to own one to just finally experience what makes the T50rp mod scene so big.

ZMF's stuff always seemed more appealing to me than the mad dogs.

Antiwhippy

Ah alright, fair enough. Not too sure, but it seems that he's pretty big in using different wood types due to the tonality achieved through different densities? Dunno if the wood type makes as much of a difference as he claims, but I do like the unique aspect of it, which is probably the one time I'd overlook the wonkiness of having that much sound variance in your production. :p

Drop is live btw. Too much for me for now.

NotSelf

The drop is still a bit much for me as well. But i'm considering buying the stock mk3 i'm going to guitar center today to try them out with my mp3 player I should probably take my o2 as well.

Huh, zmf x vibro mk 2 might be dropping on Massdrop tomorrow.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728144/zmf-x-vibro-zmf-blackwood-discussion-thread/1185#post_12468281

Would honestly be a lot more interested in these than the fostex. Bad timing for me though. Oh well.

Joined the drop myself. Going to cancel my purpleheart. Will probably join the mahogany drop in May that ships right away and compare the two, and sell the one I don't want. Both these headphones should hold their value don't you think?

LQX

It was in stock when I saw them and I was very tempted but they say the MK3 is much improved and I was thinking about getting those myself to mod out. Won't look as good but will be cheaper.

With them being so unique they may hold their value better SolarMystic.

It was in stock when I saw them and I was very tempted but they say the MK3 is much improved and I was thinking about getting those myself to mod out. Won't look as good but will be cheaper.

With them being so unique they may hold their value better SolarMystic.

The drop is over so no backing out now. I emailed Zach to see if I could get lambskin pads instead of the protein pads.

LQX

Cant wait for your feedback on them. After reading up on them I think I would have grabbed them when I saw them available but I was hesitant as I had never heard of these in particular and I still cant get over some of these modded headphones costing 3X the original design but lot of work seems to have gone into these.

Did you buy them with the $50 case? For some reason I much rather put my headphone in a case than on a stand.

Xander51

Did you buy them with the $50 case? For some reason I much rather put my headphone in a case than on a stand.

I'm with you on cases over stands. Although I love the look of certain headphone stands, every one of my headphones is in a case. I find it nice when I need to pack up headphones to take somewhere. I can just toss them in a bag and go. Plus, I can store them in a wider variety of places. A large stand would take up a bunch of room that certain other members of my household wouldn't appreciate, even though it'd look awesome.

Cases also keep things from getting dusty. It's easier to clean a case than it is to clean irregularly-shaped objects like headphones.

Hey guys and gals, I've been lurking in here reading through the posts and I generally do my reading over at HeadFi, but pumped to see we have a Headphone thread at Gaf.

First foray into the headphone market was HD598 and DT-770 Pro 250Ohm amplified by a FiiO Mont Blanc. Fast forward to now and I'm looking for some "side action" from a pair of headphones while I wait for the EM-U Teak's and the Purpleheart to arrive. I primarily listen to Progressive Metal (Thus the Between the Buried and Me avatar) and heavy rock, but I also listen to the likes of Tori Amos, to Vivaldi sometimes.

I have an Asgard 2, bought from LQX from Gaf (thanks again!) and I just got my BiFrost and I guess I just have upgraditis. The DT-770's are good for metal, but seem a little narrow in the soundstage, but good with bass response. The HD598 is GODLIKE with soundstage, but man the bass is just so in the backseat napping.

Thoughts?

Xander51

Powerful bass and good soundstage is a tough combo to get, just due to the nature of how headphones/physics work. Open headphones have better soundstage, but it's hard to make them bassy. The opposite applies to closed headphones.

My personal favorite compromise is the Sony MDR-1A, which has giant bass ports that make it feel a little more open than most closed sets.

Antiwhippy

Also it seems like ZMF might do a more regular drop that isn't so limited in the future, which is good. That zebrawood with the rust finish is pretty sexy though.

Kudo

Is it normal USB DAC with headphones to make *pop* sound when let's say, starting to watch Youtube video or skipping scenes, stopping audio etc.? Never happens during audio.
It's really small and non-issue but just want to know nothing is wrong. I had the same pops with my Bravura soundcard, and kind of remember reading it has something to do with the sample rate you set in Windows which I currently have set to 24/48.
Anyone know about this?

Antiwhippy

Yeah that just sounds like a bad USB port that's picking up interference.

Might want to try out a different port or one of those powered USB hubs.

Is it normal USB DAC with headphones to make *pop* sound when let's say, starting to watch Youtube video or skipping scenes, stopping audio etc.? Never happens during audio.
It's really small and non-issue but just want to know nothing is wrong. I had the same pops with my Bravura soundcard, and kind of remember reading it has something to do with the sample rate you set in Windows which I currently have set to 24/48.
Anyone know about this?

I also get this sometimes on my e10k (only usb dac I have). Nothing major, unlike my motherboard.

On my motherboard the pop is unbearable and does not come in immediately after stopping the sound, but about 15 seconds later. Funny enough I've started to get this on my iphone 6s as well when pausing, though for that it'll pop about 2 or 3 times spread out. I would love to know why this happens. It's almost as if the motherboard/phone is shutting off the dac to save power or something.

Top Bottom