• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

So I was just taking a nap and I had a dream where there was a Stern Show fighting game a la Street Fighter. In the character selection screen I saw among others: Ralph, Jeff the Drunk and Captain Sack.

I just listened to Monday's show. For a guy whose entire job is to tell his opinion about other things and people, he's pretty thin skinned, regarding the Judd Apatow thing. Also, his entire job is to do pranks and make fun of other people but no one is allowed to prank him and Howard, Fred and Robin NEVER, EVER get their balls busted. I guess that's just part of the dynamic of the show, him being the alpha dog and all but I do feel for some of the staff of the show. For example, Tim with his whole "I says, I says" thing should be saying "That's how I talk. You got a problem? Fuck you" and not in an angry way just in a confident way. But instead he apologizes and lets them make fun of him, etc. Part of it might just be for the fun of the show but the way he does that to virtually everybody gets annoying. I notice it the most when one minute he is super condescending to the staff and then super reverential to a guest.

I just listened to Monday's show. For a guy whose entire job is to tell his opinion about other things and people, he's pretty thin skinned, regarding the Judd Apatow thing.

I'm listening to that right now (44 minutes in). I knew the Apatow thing was coming thanks to this thread but I was really taken aback at how vicious it was. That was the hardest I've heard Howard go at someone in awhile. Figures its over someone that was spitting some truth.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm listening to it now. He calls him "an elitist Hollywood director" right off the bat. Jesus Christ.

Howard says stuff much harsher than what Apatow said EVERY DAY. It wasn't like Apatow said, "Man, Howard's show sucks so bad these days. I used to be a fan, but it really sucks."

He was more like-"I like the show-but enough AGT!"

Figures Howard is getting his ass lathered up left and right these days and this is the first SLIGHTLY negative comment he's heard.

Howard was making fun of Rihanna for getting pissed off at a press conference when someone asked a question that she didn't want to answer. And he blamed it on how everyone always sucks up to her and treats her super nice and said after years and years of that then it changes your personality. The pot calling the kettle black?

I’m so sick of Debbie the Pet Lady. She’s not funny, she's not fun and I’m not buying her act.

EDIT: Rachel Butera is phenomenal at impressions. I can't tell the difference between her and Debbie. Her Under Dog Lady and Daisy Fuentes is spot on too.

Anyone else want to hear Robin song parodies from anyone other than Eli Braden and Little Mikey? It seems they are the main contributors other than Richard and Sal or Dan the Song Parody Man.

smurfx

get some go again
Unless things have changed hasn't Howard always been able to dish it out but can't take it himself?
hasn't this been the case with pretty much everybody on the staff? fred being one of the worst ones when it comes to dishing it out but not being able to take it.

I just listened to Monday's show. For a guy whose entire job is to tell his opinion about other things and people, he's pretty thin skinned, regarding the Judd Apatow thing. Also, his entire job is to do pranks and make fun of other people but no one is allowed to prank him and Howard, Fred and Robin NEVER, EVER get their balls busted. I guess that's just part of the dynamic of the show, him being the alpha dog and all but I do feel for some of the staff of the show. For example, Tim with his whole "I says, I says" thing should be saying "That's how I talk. You got a problem? Fuck you" and not in an angry way just in a confident way. But instead he apologizes and lets them make fun of him, etc. Part of it might just be for the fun of the show but the way he does that to virtually everybody gets annoying. I notice it the most when one minute he is super condescending to the staff and then super reverential to a guest.

I've been listening to the show a lot less lately and I think it's partly because I've been becoming more acutely aware of the bullshit high school dynamic of the cast. As you say there is the protected group (Howard, Robin, Fred and to some extent Gary) and then there's everyone else for whom it is constantly open season for ridicule and bullying. I got enough of that during my own school years, I don't think I need it any more in my daily entertainment.

gdt

Ehh. We've always known Howard is ridiculously sensitive, nothing new. But yeah, lately theres been only light shitting on Robin. She's as big as a house, bring it up!

LordCanti

It's probably written into Robin's contract that no one is allowed to mess with her. Jason Ellis tried to call her on her BS, and Howard completely disengaged to avoid it going down that route.

I can't remember a time when Robin was shown in anything other than a positive light.

I've been listening to the show a lot less lately and I think it's partly because I've been becoming more acutely aware of the bullshit high school dynamic of the cast. As you say there is the protected group (Howard, Robin, Fred and to some extent Gary) and then there's everyone else for whom it is constantly open season for ridicule and bullying. I got enough of that during my own school years, I don't think I need it any more in my daily entertainment.

Gary got a new set of teef using the money his bawf paid him, and now he's too good to be picked on.

Really though, he's taken so much shit for so many years that there's enough stored up to last through periods where he's not as involved. I just rewatch the Gary "I want you back" tape once every year or so.

LordCanti

It's up there, but for me, it's the Scott the Engineer pushup challenge. The greatest set up and outcome ever on the show.

I still maintain that he did 17 push-ups based on their rules. I know he got paid (begrudgingly) but I don't know if anyone has ever admitted that he actually did them.

So I listened to Tuesday's show and they said that on the Monday wrap up show that Benjy was trying to argue that Howard was overreacting about the Judd Apatow thing (which was totally correct) but they wouldn't let him get a word in. Fred was always chiming in with his sycophantic comments. Seriously Fred is the biggest cock sucker of Howard. I love the sound effects but his only other role is to help Howard mock anyone that Howard disagrees with.

Howard also said a few times to Benjy something along the lines of "Are you on my team or not?" which basically means that if you work for Howard you have to suck his cock and never disagree with him.

I think the show has just jumped the shark recently in my mind. I've been a huge fan since he moved to satellite but as Gary said, the bullying and marginalization of the staff day after day and the hypocrisy and holier-than-thou attitude of Howard have made me lose respect for him and being that the whole show has been built around him, the show as well.

Don don doop

The tape is definitely my favorite thing in the history of the show. I laugh every time I hear it and I love when they start to pick on it again. You can tell when they do that Gary is still annoyed by it. "It's hard getting an audience with you"

M-m-m-m-m
*SMACK*
Marriage!

Ughh Jason Ellis again? I feel like he was just in a few weeks ago and had nothing to say then. Is this interview worth listening to at all or should I just skip it?

LordCanti

I zoned out a lot during that. Booey doing easy bookings again.

They do two to three shows a week now and they can't secure one decent guest per day. In this age of people like Rihanna going mental when asked about her personal life, I guess it's difficult to find people willing to sit through an hour of Howard doing exactly that. Rachel Maddow is the only interesting interview he's had...all year? I guess? I'm trying hard to remember who else he's interviewed.

I'm sure it's not for lack of Baba trying. He probably gets constant rejection from anyone that Howard would actually like to interview.

Riggs

Banned
I really don't care anymore, I love Howard so much it's hard for me to admit that. No good guests, the show is barely on anymore, AGT? I just don't care.

Also this shit with Benjy and his gold digging GF is horrible. Benjy is so annoying and manipulative, probably borderline sociopath to boot.

I really don't care anymore, I love Howard so much it's hard for me to admit that. No good guests, the show is barely on anymore, AGT? I just don't care.

Also this shit with Benjy and his gold digging GF is horrible. Benjy is so annoying and manipulative, probably borderline sociopath to boot.

I actually just listened to that. So boring. I wish Benjy would get stuck under a bookcase somewhere.

I always zoned out during Mike Walkers stories but I enjoyed his segments none the less.

Can I tell you my favorite Matt Dillon story real briefly?

Top Bottom