• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

gdt

Yeesh. He went pretty hard at Judd Apatow lol. Hopefully Apatow calls in or something.

Edit: Looking at Judd's twitter seems it all worked out.

smurfx

get some go again
Yeesh. He went pretty hard at Judd Apatow lol. Hopefully Apatow calls in or something.
what did he say? natalie maines pretty much agreed that howard was wasting too much damn time talking about AGT but she is on the show all the time.

Judd is absolutely right. Every Monday after vacation is nothing but AGT talking and people calling in who were in the audience lathering up Howards ass about how great he was.

And talk about a major difference Howard has gone through. I was just listening to shows from the late 80s / early 90s and Howard is Mr Bad Ass and party guy and being all cool with Sam Kinnison and such and now I'm listening to the 4/9 show and he's talking about getting "mannie peddies" and how beautiful his toe nails look. Seriously. He called his toe nails beautiful and he wasn't joking or being sarcastic.

EDIT: Also, I'm excited about the John Hein show. Other than the Wrap up show the Fast Food show is my favorite on Sirius. I can definitely see why Jason would be pissed though. This tv show is clearly flows from what John and Jason have created for Howard 100 and for Jason to be left out is kind of a bummer. But then again the show was already created and John just interviewed so there's nothing to be pissed at John specifically for.

Riggs

Banned
Ya this AGT shit is pre cursor to retirement. After contract show is over. I hate to admit or say any of this, hope I won't be right.

And talk about a major difference Howard has gone through. I was just listening to shows from the late 80s / early 90s and Howard is Mr Bad Ass and party guy and being all cool with Sam Kinnison and such and now I'm listening to the 4/9 show and he's talking about getting "mannie peddies" and how beautiful his toe nails look. Seriously. He called his toe nails beautiful and he wasn't joking or being sarcastic.

You want Shiny Buff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm81LSKJC2k

EDIT: Just reading through it and Howard really is an asshole if he thought he deserved this. Not only was there a clause that he'd get $25 million if Sirius and XM merged (which he got) but only 1 million XM subscribers bought the Sirius premium package to get Howards channels so it still wasn't enough subscribers to hit the bonus. Maybe Jackie was right about Howard wanting all the marbles.

DasRaven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm81LSKJC2k

EDIT: Just reading through it and Howard really is an asshole if he thought he deserved this. Not only was there a clause that he'd get $25 million if Sirius and XM merged (which he got) but only 1 million XM subscribers bought the Sirius premium package to get Howards channels so it still wasn't enough subscribers to hit the bonus. Maybe Jackie was right about Howard wanting all the marbles.

Totally agreed here. I never cared enough to look into this lawsuit, but if this is what he's been bitching about, yeesh.

I never understood how Howard thought that he deserved the money either. The two companies merged but those subscribers didn't come on board with Sirius because of him. Didn't really see his argument holding much weight.

I think it came down to massive ego and that's about it.

According to the contract Howard would've gotten $300 million and his agent would've gotten $30 million. It doesn't cost a lot of money to file some papers with a court so even if the lawsuit only had a miniscule chance of working it was worth trying.

Anyway with all the AGT stuff I think Howard will retire after his current contract is up and then go "mainstream" by exclusively appearing on shows like AGT and other network, family friendly fare. I'm not really sure if that's bad or good but he seems like he's ready to move on from radio and is really embracing AGT.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I agree he'll retire but it's always odd to me because he goes on/talks about shows his demographic probably doesn't give a shit about. I've never watched American Idol, DWTS, or AGT and never will. I basically only listen for JD's adventures and the little midget calling in nowadays.

I'll give AGT a try now that he's on it. Its very likely I'll only last half an episode but its a half hour more than I'd have given it before.

CMON HONEY GET YOU BUTT OUTTA BED! CMON WE GONNA RUN AROUND CENTRAL PARK, RUN UP THRU HARLEM AND WHATNOT! LET THE BROTHERS CHASE US AND WHATNOT!

smurfx

get some go again
i'm so glad the lawsuit was dismissed. i still remember when howard was going in hard on the merger and it was so fucking annoying and boring. finding out he had huge incentives on the merger passing left a bad taste in my mouth.

LordCanti

I guess Howard should have gotten language in his contract that counted people brought in via merger towards his bonus goal. He does deserve the money in some sense, since he forced the merger and saved Sirius from going under, but I can understand why the lawsuit was thrown out. Maybe they'll stop screwing with his budget and making him pay for repairs around the studio.

He's going to go from his current anger level (about a 10) to an 11. He's at the point where Judd Apatow makes an innocuous tweet and gets a show long lambasting. I don't know what will happen to people now. He may need to up his shrink visits to four times a week.

smurfx

get some go again
I guess Howard should have gotten language in his contract that counted people brought in via merger towards his bonus goal. He does deserve the money in some sense, since he forced the merger and saved Sirius from going under, but I can understand why the lawsuit was thrown out. Maybe they'll stop screwing with his budget and making him pay for repairs around the studio.

He's going to go from his current anger level (about a 10) to an 11. He's at the point where Judd Apatow makes an innocuous tweet and gets a show long lambasting. I don't know what will happen to people now. He may need to up his shrink visits to four times a week.
i think the money he gets from sirius is supposed to go to those kinda things. i think he used the money from the first contract to build his studio. howard was supposed to hire other radio guys but in the end he said screw it and just kept the money for himself. bubba worked there on the cheap because nobody wanted him at the time.

LordCanti

i think the money he gets from sirius is supposed to go to those kinda things. i think he used the money from the first contract to build his studio. howard was supposed to hire other radio guys but in the end he said screw it and just kept the money for himself. bubba worked there on the cheap because nobody wanted him at the time.

Is that in his contract? If it isn't, I'm not sure why he'd be asked to pay for studio upkeep out of his pocket. If it is, I guess he needs to stop being so cheap.

bingo.

I guess Howard should have gotten language in his contract that counted people brought in via merger towards his bonus goal. He does deserve the money in some sense, since he forced the merger and saved Sirius from going under

But he did get that. It says in the case dismissal notes that there was a clause in Howard's contract that he'd get $25 million if Sirius merged with XM and he was indeed paid that.

And yeah it was my understanding that the way Howards payment worked when he first signed with Sirius is that he'd get $500 million to do with whatever he wanted - he was in charge of hiring, firing, upkeep of 'his' channels, personnel etc and all his and his staff's pay came from that $500 million. Hence why before this latest go round we were getting 4 shows a week and no other programming other than volunteer hosts that did shows for free.

LordCanti

But he did get that. It says in the case dismissal notes that there was a clause in Howard's contract that he'd get $25 million if Sirius merged with XM and he was indeed paid that.

And yeah it was my understanding that the way Howards payment worked when he first signed with Sirius is that he'd get $500 million to do with whatever he wanted - he was in charge of hiring, firing, upkeep of 'his' channels, personnel etc and all his and his staff's pay came from that $500 million. Hence why before this latest go round we were getting 4 shows a week and no other programming other than volunteer hosts that did shows for free.

So every time his staff complains that their pay is shit, they're complaining about him? That seems like a brazen thing to do to his face.

The whole thing is a bit nutty.

So every time his staff complains that their pay is shit, they're complaining about him? That seems like a brazen thing to do to his face.

The whole thing is a bit nutty.

It is crazy though that Howard is so GROSSLY compensated and other people like JD, Richard and Sal are nearly broke and have to break their ass flying around the country doing shitty gigs to pick up some more money. If Howard were to pay them a bit more-they wouldn't have to fly, then they could get "DEEP REST" and produce more for the show!

*smacks lips"

BOFF. IS THERE ANY ORANGE JUICE?

Riggs

Banned
Hah, so weird though with no hair? I am really wondering what is going on. I wonder if they talk about this on stern fan network.

LordCanti

I wasn't attracted to Robin a decade (or more) ago when I first saw her on the E! show. Now they're really stretching it with the songs.

It is crazy though that Howard is so GROSSLY compensated and other people like JD, Richard and Sal are nearly broke and have to break their ass flying around the country doing shitty gigs to pick up some more money. If Howard were to pay them a bit more-they wouldn't have to fly, then they could get "DEEP REST" and produce more for the show!

*smacks lips"

BOFF. IS THERE ANY ORANGE JUICE?

Scott the Engineer: "Well if only there was a bit more money"
JD: "I uhhmm I'd like a rais...umm...nevermind"
Ronnie: "Dude, this all you're gonna pay me? Okay. Fine. That's fine. I'm not gonna cry about it."

Does he really decide their salaries and then pay them? I mean, that's not just conjecture, that's fact? If so, yeah, he seems to pay them for shit despite almost being a billionaire potentially.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Does he really decide their salaries and then pay them? I mean, that's not just conjecture, that's fact? If so, yeah, he seems to pay them for shit despite almost being a billionaire potentially.

I don't know about now. I haven't kept up on it. But for the first five years, he really had complete control over the $100 million annual budget for his channels.

I was gonna say I think its been a good 30 years since Robin had anything but dreads but am I remembering correctly that in the early 90s or so (at the height of her insanity) she shaved her head?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
She had shortish hair in Private Parts

O_O
KcofE.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
Hah, so weird though with no hair? I am really wondering what is going on. I wonder if they talk about this on stern fan network.
she's been balding for quite some time though. i remember seeing pics years ago with her hair in knot and noticing her lack of hair. remember women also bald but just not in the same numbers as men.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
sternshow: Howard promises fans that the show will not suffer because of the lawsuit. He'll do the best shows he can, w/o malice, 4 our loyal audience

I hope he really means this lol

I loled immediately when I opened it up and skipped ahead 2 minutes and saw video of Ronnie driving around in a little go-kart.

EDIT: "Ok Hanzi we gotta go I have to talk to Lars from Metallica". Fuck that. I'd much rather listen to Hanzi than some monotone bore complain about being a successfull musician.

Top Bottom