• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Howard Stern Show Thread

LordCanti

I don't listen to Howard much. However I have a question.

I know Howard is a 3 day a week guy now, sometimes less.

Opie and Anthony are fed up with SiriusXM. They will probably be creating a large podcasting network with Louis CK, Bill Burr, Chris Rock, Jay Mohr and various other comedians when their contract is up.

With Stern suing the company, what are his plans when he is gone from Sirius. He is going to call it quits, or move into making a sponsored podcast?

I especially want to know as the company is currently being chopped up and priced out to sell.

I think he'll retire. For some reason I don't see him wrapping his mind around the idea of doing a subscription internet radio show, even though it could be one of the most lucrative things he's ever done.

Is he actually suing Sirius? I've heard him say that they've given him an ultimatum about the bonuses they owe him ("Sue us or shut up" basically) but I hadn't heard that a lawsuit was actually coming.

I'm completely caught up to the live shows now. Its a bummer but I do have a huge collection of fight week episodes and random clips of show fights and arguments from throughout the years to listen to. It's glorious.

I don't listen to Howard much. However I have a question.

I know Howard is a 3 day a week guy now, sometimes less.

Opie and Anthony are fed up with SiriusXM. They will probably be creating a large podcasting network with Louis CK, Bill Burr, Chris Rock, Jay Mohr and various other comedians when their contract is up.

With Stern suing the company, what are his plans when he is gone from Sirius. He is going to call it quits, or move into making a sponsored podcast?

I especially want to know as the company is currently being chopped up and priced out to sell.

I think he's going to be completely done with the show when this contract is up in 3 years. If he still has AGT he'll do that, otherwise I think he just retires completely.

I think he'll retire. For some reason I don't see him wrapping his mind around the idea of doing a subscription internet radio show, even though it could be one of the most lucrative things he's ever done.

Is he actually suing Sirius? I've heard him say that they've given him an ultimatum about the bonuses they owe him ("Sue us or shut up" basically) but I hadn't heard that a lawsuit was actually coming.

Yeah he's in the midst of a lawsuit with Sirius right now. There was some deal in his contract that if he brought in so many listeners he'd get a huge, multi-million dollar bonus. When Sirius joined with XM Howard considered those listeners being folded in from XM as part of his quota. Sirius seems them as seperate customers that were part of XM and not people who subscribed specifically to Sirius.

R2D4

Banned
Ugh. This Kinison week is excruciating. 20 plus years ago. The jokes are so dated and I can't understand who they are making fun of half the time.

I'm completely caught up to the live shows now. Its a bummer but I do have a huge collection of fight week episodes and random clips of show fights and arguments from throughout the years to listen to. It's glorious.

I've got Artie's last show and I think I'll give it a listen after reading that article from the examiner.

Ugh. This Kinison week is excruciating. 20 plus years ago. The jokes are so dated and I can't understand who they are making fun of half the time.

Yeah, I was a big Kinison fan back in the day but I can only make it through about five or ten minutes of the show at time this week.

gdt

Never really liked Kinison that much. Only really love the "man" bit, but that's really with Gottfried lol.

Howard is done when his contract is over, he's ready to retire and live that life. I'll miss him (i've been listening to him pretty much every days since I was in 8th grade) but the guy deserves it. Can't wait to retire, myself.

I think I'll also dig for Artie's last day. What date was it?

Salmonax

Howard is done when his contract is over, he's ready to retire and live that life.

It seems like Howard needs to retire. The initial Sirius run reinvigorated him and it was interesting at first to hear the whole gang, clips, etc. uncensored. And, of course, Artie was still around, lending the show an edge of realism and unpredictability even as he slept through half of it.

Now the show is tired and everyone's going through the motions, trying to avoid making any major waves before they can all walk away. It's kind of a bummer to see a dynasty like Howard's slow to a crawl before finally wrapping up, but it all had to end sometime.

It seems like Howard needs to retire. The initial Sirius run reinvigorated him and it was interesting at first to hear the whole gang, clips, etc. uncensored. And, of course, Artie was still around, lending the show an edge of realism and unpredictability even as he slept through half of it.

Now the show is tired and everyone's going through the motions, trying to avoid making any major waves before they can all walk away. It's kind of a bummer to see a dynasty like Howard's slow to a crawl before finally wrapping up, but it all had to end sometime.

So true. Occasionally there are great moments still-but the majority of the show is just dumb, kissass callers, Howard rehashing the same stories, Sal and Richard's increasingly un-funny prank calls...but for some reason I keep listening. I enjoy listening to this type of radio-but there isn't any equilivant unfortunately. Most other shows annoy me.

dem

Artie (and Jackie) actually interacted with the crew of the show.. so the show seemed a lot more real. There was so much more ball busting going on. Way more fun to listen to.

Howard and Robin insulate themselves from everyone else and talk about television 70% of the show. ZZZzzzzzz.

I'm a die hard Stern fan.. but i've finally started searching out other things to listen to.
I listen to the Joe Rogan podcast a lot.

Anyone have other recommendations for podcasts?

Also, it seems like radio is a dying medium. All the popular radio hosts are old guys who have been around for a long time. Howard, O&A, all the right wing guys like Rush Limbaugh. What's going to happen when all these guys are gone? And what's going to happen to Sirius XM once they lose people like Howard and O&A?

I think I'll also dig for Artie's last day. What date was it?

I think the article said 12/9/09?

Anyone have other recommendations for podcasts?
Even though it isn't active at the moment The Ricky Gervais Show podcasts/audiobooks are great. And if you like it you can find the XFM radio shows from the early 2000s which are also fantastic.

Also, the Cheapassgamer podcast is really good. Its run by CheapyD who is a big Stern fan and has a lot of Howard's sensibilites. (he was even a guest on an episode .. he was one of those people that got to sit in for donating to charity)

Listening to these old shows is great.

90s Howard: I could stay married to any woman.

90s Howard: I'm not a Hamptons guy.

Also, if someone could answer this for me ... Where's mama?!

I downloaded an Adam Corolla podcast and listened to it. Wow, it's basically a copy of Howard Stern. The 3 main people are Adam, a guy who does sound effects and a woman who does the news. And the order of the broadcast is: general conversation, guest interview, news. Adam Corolla is a funny guy but otherwise it's just a bad carbon copy of Howard.

Listening to a show from 87. Great stuff. Howard had a lot of energy and was quick to lash out at people (mostly Jackie and Gary with a little bit of Scott the Engineer sprinkled in). I wish the show could be like this again.

I downloaded an Adam Corolla podcast and listened to it. Wow, it's basically a copy of Howard Stern. The 3 main people are Adam, a guy who does sound effects and a woman who does the news. And the order of the broadcast is: general conversation, guest interview, news. Adam Corolla is a funny guy but otherwise it's just a bad carbon copy of Howard.

It's basically why i continue to listen to Howard. No matter how bad the show gets or how boring it can be-there's nothing better out there.

Would anyone happen to have or know where to find non Master Tape Theater episodes of the Stern show from the NBC years to the mid 90s?

R2D4

Banned
Listening to a show from 87. Great stuff. Howard had a lot of energy and was quick to lash out at people (mostly Jackie and Gary with a little bit of Scott the Engineer sprinkled in). I wish the show could be like this again.

Are those the years with the constant clapping after every joke?

Actually yeah now that I think about it its early 80s / early NBC because I think Al Rosenberg was the culprit behind that.

EDIT: How timely - I'm listening to the 1/10/92 episode and they're discussing Stuttering John getting in a fight with Mike Wallace.

R2D4

Banned
I guess. He hasn't taken off any Wednesday's for it yet tho. Is there an audition this weekend?

It's in New York City now. I"m sure it's more days that other cities from the number of people. He talked about getting tickets to Debbie yesterday for the Wednesday taping. I assume he meant today.

Salmonax

AGT. Why else? I like these Sirius replays though. I never heard the Artie years and it makes me regret that. The guy's hilarious.

Yeah, the Artie years were pretty much the last surge of energy for the show. Although I have mixed feelings since Artie broke Beetlejuice.

And, as a random aside, Beetlejuice's best segment ever was when he met his biggest fan Billy. Hands down.

Yeah, the Artie years were pretty much the last surge of energy for the show. Although I have mixed feelings since Artie broke Beetlejuice.

And, as a random aside, Beetlejuice's best segment ever was when he met his biggest fan Billy. Hands down.

Actually I like when Beetle met Gilbert Gottfried.

Listening to another '93 show. I like how these days Howard says he thinks Bill Maher doesn't like him for some reason. The 8/5/93 has the answer - he tells Bill Maher in person he invented Politically Incorrect but its not worth arguing/suing over because its a shit show anyway. But Maher should thank Howard and credit him in interviews and articles.

It's basically why i continue to listen to Howard. No matter how bad the show gets or how boring it can be-there's nothing better out there.

The Joe Rogan podcast is interesting. It's only once a week and they devote almost all of the 2 hr broadcast to one guest or topic. It allows them to get really deep into whatever they're talking about. Joe Rogan is a comedian but he's more interesting than Adam Corolla's "let's make fun of current events and celebrities" schtick.

Top Bottom