• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

DJ_Tet

Banned
My battery went from 33% to zero in about 8 hours of 'idling' on ICS 0.5

I haven't applied the battery charge fix yet, hopefully that helps.

Going to be booting into webOS for standby time until things get ironed out in android.

1-D_FTW

Going to be booting into webOS for standby time until things get ironed out in android.

Was it good before then?

Kind of why I haven't done the .5 update. I'm getting surprisingly good battery life in stand-by and since that patch doesn't seem to address the wifi or touchscreen not awakening from sleep (only happened once), I've decided it's not worth risking things.

I installed ICS over the weekend, and upgraded to Alpha 0.5 last night.

The battery drains much more quickly compared to CM7! I can't wait for these bugs to be ironed out.

Is it possible wif is staying on during sleep? Back when I was having issues with notification and searching everywhere under settings, I know I found a setting that disabled wifi during sleep. For the life of me, I can't find where it was now.

kharma45

Is it possible wif is staying on during sleep? Back when I was having issues with notification and searching everywhere under settings, I know I found a setting that disabled wifi during sleep. For the life of me, I can't find where it was now.

When you're in Wifi, hit the ellipses and go to advanced.

reKon

Banned
I'm not disabling wifi in sleep because there are still issues with it trying to maintain a connection:

AcatXl.png

So yeah, I guess not as good as Alpha 3.5, but tolerable. You need to remember that this was only Alpha 0 so of course Web OS is going to be the stable alternative for now. As far as I'm concerned, for my uses, this 4.0.3 rom in its current state is nearly good enough for me.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Was it good before then?

Kind of why I haven't done the .5 update. I'm getting surprisingly good battery life in stand-by and since that patch doesn't seem to address the wifi or touchscreen not awakening from sleep (only happened once), I've decided it's not worth risking things.

Not sure but it seemed better than that. At least when it was 'idling' and the screen was off.

edit: I had only installed ICS 0 about a day before 0.5 came out so I hadn't really messed around with it too much.

Ashhong

For me:
- a 10x10 grid will show no label.
- a 8x8 grid will show label, but in portrait mode the bottom row would be like 1/5 above the bottom of the screen - ugly.

Switched back to the CM9 launcher.

I ran 8x9 (it really shouldnt be a square anyway since the screen is not a square) and it seemed to look good. I only tested in portrait momentarily though, so I will double check that later.

Anony

on regular webos, i can use it for 5/6 days straight w/ wifi on without charging:
lowest brightness (via patch) for 1-1.5 hours per night surfing/streaming music/reading

doesnt sound like ics is gonna get on that level any time soon, if ever

on regular webos, i can use it for 5/6 days straight w/ wifi on without charging:
lowest brightness (via patch) for 1-1.5 hours per night surfing/streaming music/reading

same. It is such a good os or could have been.

saunderez

Why not ever? In the end it all comes down to the software, once the bugs have been ironed out theres no reason Android can't have the same or better battery life as WebOS. The problem at the moment is HP are far more intimate with the hardware than the Android devs are.

there's a battery fix? that's encouraging.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have a touchstone, so as long as it lasts through the day, I'm fine. I'm still getting multiple days of light use. WebOS was a beast in battery life, no doubt, but I'm fine with ics for now.

Ashhong

Well this sucks. After going through the whole compatible market process outlined above, the new marketplace seemed to work for me only for 18 hours or so... Now even the apps I couldn't originally download, but then could after the fix, are now back to being incompatible with my device when I go to their app store page. Any ideas what happened all of a sudden?

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34467110&postcount=4942

I put it at the end of my post with the market link.

Go to Applications -> Market -> Clear data. It happens. I have found no other free solution :(

1-D_FTW

same. It is such a good os or could have been.

Not really. It's just that unless they get the drivers from the open source, it's going to be hard to fix the battery problem.

Technically HP is obligated to release them since they sold touchpads with Android installed. Blame HP. Not even sure why they're being a hardass about this. It's not like they have a consumer division anymore. They should take the free goodwill and do what they're required to do anyways.

DJ_Tet

Banned
there's a battery fix? that's encouraging.

Well it's the fix from ICS 0, I wasn't sure if it was built into the ICS 0.5 build since it wasn't listed.

I installed the fix this afternoon and left it to idle for about 5 hours. Came back and it went down from 93 to 88% that's not too bad. Better than discharging 30%+ in 8 hours like last night.

A few questions and comments. I ran into the WiFi issues tonight. CM9 has the WiFi spot saved but I am unable to connect. I tried many times, even turning the WiFi off and on. When I switched to WebOS it works fine.

And I'm still unable to get videos to play on YouTube, video or dailymotion.

Also, with the recent 3.05 software update, do all the old tweaks not work.I can't find them in prewar.

pje122

A few questions and comments. I ran into the WiFi issues tonight. CM9 has the WiFi spot saved but I am unable to connect. I tried many times, even turning the WiFi off and on. When I switched to WebOS it works fine.

Also, with the recent 3.05 software update, do all the old tweaks not work.I can't find them in prewar.

As far as the ICS WiFi goes, I think that's par of the course. We just have to deal with it being finicky for now.

reKon

Banned

Did you forget the password then turn it off and on?

Did you forget the password then turn it off and on?

It's an open public WiFi spot. And it works fine in WebOS.

Also, I agree with the comments about the bad battery life.

Anyways, is there a way to revert to an earlier WebOS? I am unable to access the WebOS speed tweaks/patches.

Edit: I just found a link to older webOS doctors. Anyone know the oldest one I should download and still be able to access the patches.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Epicurious and Zite are the two I miss switching over to ICS. Ad-free and perfect functionality.

Epicurious for Android hasn't been updated in a year and a half. It's trash.

Toby

you know the thing I like the most about webos. Flicking window to close. I want to do that in every tablet now lol.

Yeah, I was sort of daydreaming about creating a patch that would allow ICS on the touchpad to do the same. While the ICS interface does allow you to flick open applications off to the side, it's kind of annoying it doesn't show the active application. It takes me two steps instead of one if I want to close the active application.
Now come the WebOS haters to say it has nothing of value

Alright, I used the Webos doctor to restore my Touchpad to 3.02 and was able to get all of the patches.

Does anyone know if I update to 3.05 if I'll the patches will still work (or what is the most recent OS version to update to)?

Next, I get CM9 0.5 back on there.

I'd like to know what apps you guys use in WebOS.

iyiQ2UknX9D5c.png

iXgZq.png

M1kxf.png

I still have to figure out how to work with scummvm. Never done anything with snes much.Spent much in the beginning lol.I use zite, news republic and comics HD everyday. It was so hard to get this screenshot here lol. Take it mail it to me than use pc to upload it. My friend is very good and preware stuff. He did installed some packages but I have no idea what they were may be for speed. After last update they might have been useless though.

1-D_FTW

It's been about 3 days since I installed Android for the first time on my Touchpad. So glad I did. Better than I expected. And assuming things only improve from here, this thing was an absolute steal for 149.99 for 32GB version.

mclaren777

I wonder what this will do for the WebOS market.

"Enyo 1.0, the framework underlying the applications that run exclusively on the HP TouchPad and other HP webOS devices (including both our own core applications and thousands of third-party apps), has now also been open-sourced."

http://blog.palm.com/

SRG01

I wonder what this will do for the WebOS market.

"Enyo 1.0, the framework underlying the applications that run exclusively on the HP TouchPad and other HP webOS devices (including both our own core applications and thousands of third-party apps), has now also been open-sourced."

http://blog.palm.com/

It's a pretty good start, since I've been looking for a full HTML5 + JS tool for some time now.

So I just spoke to HP Customer service regarding the crackling speaker, depressed home button and cracked casing.

I was presented with three options for repair:

Because your tablet is in warranty, you can choose the Repair and Return with Box option at no charge. We’ll send you an empty box with a prepaid label in which to return your tablet to our repair facility.The process takes 7 to 10 business days from the date you ship your device. After repairs are made, your device is returned to you using 2-day air.

In addition, we have a premium option that is faster. We can send you the empty box overnight. Then the turnaround from the date you ship your device is 5 to 7 days. There is a fee of $29 for this premium repair option.

A second option is Advance Exchange, where we send a replacement device to you immediately by UPS overnight delivery, and then you return your defective unit to us, using the box with a prepaid label that came with the replacement device. There is a $59.00 fee.

I told them I'd just send it to them, as there is no way I'm going to pay half what I paid for the Touchpad to get it repaired.

I wonder how much they will charge u if you never send in your touchpad and keep the one they send you....

I'm sure they charge you before they send the replacement. It was my experience when I had to get an ipod repaired with Apple.

The other odd thing about the experience is it's via chat. You're not allowed to call unless it's three months within your Touchpad purchase or you want to pay a fee.

The rep tried to blame the button and cracking casing on me. He asked if I dropped it. I was like let's be honest. The thing is plastic POS.

Top Bottom