• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Thanks for the heads up, I might try and get mine repaired too.

I'm away from home, so I won't be able to send it back until the week after next. If they fix the casing and recessed home button, I'll be happy (without charging me). Hopefully by then, we'll be on beta 1.0 of CM9 on Touchpad.

This will be my only Tablet until the iPad 3 drops (gave my 2 to my GF).

Ashhong

I'm sure they charge you before they send the replacement. It was my experience when I had to get an ipod repaired with Apple.

The other odd thing about the experience is it's via chat. You're not allowed to call unless it's three months within your Touchpad purchase or you want to pay a fee.

The rep tried to blame the button and cracking casing on me. He asked if I dropped it. I was like let's be honest. The thing is plastic POS.

Well regardless, I wonder how much it is they charge you. the 600$ or the discounted 150$. and LOL at your last line. what did he say to that?

Well regardless, I wonder how much it is they charge you. the 600$ or the discounted 150$. and LOL at your last line. what did he say to that?

He didn't say anything, except they'll determine what needs to be done when it arrives. I'm sure they'll just send me a replacement.

And let's be honest, it's a plastic POS. Probably the worst tablet of all time (though a great deal at $100).

If I was in the market, I'd skip the woot deal and get a Fire, Nook Tablet or look for a deal on these Tegra 2s that are about to be refreshed.

Karish

Anyone selling their Touchstone dock? Want one...

Also, anyone using wireless keyboards on this puppy? Any recommendations?

Ashhong

I think HP is still selling their accessory bundle of the Touchstone, keyboard, and maybe a case for like 75 on their ebay store. Not sure though

DJ_Tet

Banned
So now I'm dropping wifi (I didn't have any wifi issues with CM7) and I think that's what's leading to my battery draining issues.

Hope we can get an update soon, ICS is awesome otherwise though.

Seems my local vids still play better in kalemsoft but I guess that's to be expected. I'm sure once the video issues get ironed out they will be on par.

1-D_FTW

Anyone know if you can access the Wallpaper folder in ICS?

Tried installing a bunch of 1024*768 wallpapers onto my TP. But I can't put them into the ICS Wallpaper folder. I can only put them in a generic or TP Wallpaper folder. Which wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not allowed to set these without cropping. And even cropping as little as I can, they still look like jank by having them get blown up 50 percent.

Anyone know if you can access the Wallpaper folder in ICS?

Tried installing a bunch of 1024*768 wallpapers onto my TP. But I can't put them into the ICS Wallpaper folder. I can only put them in a generic or TP Wallpaper folder. Which wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm not allowed to set these without cropping. And even cropping as little as I can, they still look like jank by having them get blown up 50 percent.

Don't think you can, I searched for anything .jpg, .bmp,.png, etc to find the stock wallpapers and couldn't find them.

But what makes you think if you could they wouldn't be blown up 50% as well? Just edit them on the PC to have the correct 768x1024 res.

1-D_FTW

Don't think you can, I searched for anything .jpg, .bmp,.png, etc to find the stock wallpapers and couldn't find them.

But what makes you think if you could they wouldn't be blown up 50% as well? Just edit them on the PC to have the correct 768x1024 res.

Not sure I'm getting that last part. I downloaded them at 1024*768. Do I really need to edit them? Shouldn't that be the native resolution?

Even at 1024*768, ICS makes me crop off a vast chunk of the outer picture and then blows up the remaining (cropped) image to fill the screen. If it would just let me set it at the native resolution, I wouldn't need cropping, or scaling to fill the screen.

kehs

Banned
In order to not crop wallpapers, you have to go view the image through the browser, long press and hit "set as wallpaper". That will set it without cropping it.

Not sure I'm getting that last part. I downloaded them at 1024*768. Do I really need to edit them? Shouldn't that be the native resolution?

Even at 1024*768, ICS makes me crop off a vast chunk of the outer picture and then blows up the remaining (cropped) image to fill the screen. If it would just let me set it at the native resolution, I wouldn't need cropping, or scaling to fill the screen.

That shouldn't happen, this is my current wallpaper:
sJAG3.png

This is how it looks on ICS:
nv6XT.png

Karish

Getting very frustrated. Suddenly my ICS touchpad won't connect to Wi-Fi. Turned it on and off. Nothing. Any advice? Any settings I should check?

Peagles

is it trying to connect via a saved wifi network?

try clearing/"forgetting" that network

I'm having this problem too but forgetting it doesn't work, nor does a restart of ICS.

The only thing that gets is working again is getting frustrated, booting into WebOS for awhile, then going back to Android the next day, lol.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-releasealpha06-cyanogenmod-9-touchpad/

Alpha0.6 Release notes:

Another minor release. While working on bigger problems that will take a while I wanted to push out an update for some things that have happened in the last few days. This is primarily to get Flemmard's work out for more testing. This contains the start of CyanogenMod settings. However, most of the settings are not functional on tablets yet.

With this release I will also provide two flashable zips to allow you to easily switch between lcd density 120 and 160. The default is still 160 because it offers the greatest compatibility. Any lcd density value between 160 and 120 will ruin market compatibility. For those that would like a "higher resolution" look and feel, you may flash the 120 lcd density update.zip. This will copy a new build.prop and will update the launcher for proper display. I strongly recommend changing the font size in Settings->System->Fonts if you chose to do this. The 160 lcd density update is provided to easily revert the change.
Touchscreen fixes
Ability to hide the combined bar(navigation buttons and clock) for full screen. This uses the ICS api so it will require app support(not all apps have been updated). This is an option under Settings->[Interface]->System->Combined Bar (Credits to Flemmard)
Scrollable quick settings. This will require tweaking later to allow it to be bigger on the Touchpad but fixes overflow issue on 7" tablets with the new Bluetooth toggle. (Credits to Flemmard)
Reboot to recovery is working via the power menu(hold down power button). Note: reboot will sometimes shutdown rather than rebooting.
Preliminary support for Rom Manager. In order to use this you will need Rom Manager Premium because it is not official yet. In order to use it you will need to execute "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" in Rom Manager. Confirm the model is cm_tenderloin, say yes that you have installed manually, and check ClockworkMod 3.x. Now you can use Rom Manager to flash update.zips. Official support should come soon.
Other general changes from syncing with latest changes

I can finally get to reading manga in full screen now!

TehOh

Is Netflix/hardware-decoded video still busted in ICS? That's the main thing preventing me from upgrading from CM7. I crave ICS goodness, but Netflix/Hulu Plus are the main uses of my TouchPad.

fse

Common problem, I think reflashing the ICS apps helped. Root browser lite (?) can help you delete the duplicate.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/15509-releasealpha06-cyanogenmod-9-touchpad/

Alpha0.6 Release notes:

Another minor release. While working on bigger problems that will take a while I wanted to push out an update for some things that have happened in the last few days. This is primarily to get Flemmard's work out for more testing. This contains the start of CyanogenMod settings. However, most of the settings are not functional on tablets yet.

With this release I will also provide two flashable zips to allow you to easily switch between lcd density 120 and 160. The default is still 160 because it offers the greatest compatibility. Any lcd density value between 160 and 120 will ruin market compatibility. For those that would like a "higher resolution" look and feel, you may flash the 120 lcd density update.zip. This will copy a new build.prop and will update the launcher for proper display. I strongly recommend changing the font size in Settings->System->Fonts if you chose to do this. The 160 lcd density update is provided to easily revert the change.
Touchscreen fixes
Ability to hide the combined bar(navigation buttons and clock) for full screen. This uses the ICS api so it will require app support(not all apps have been updated). This is an option under Settings->[Interface]->System->Combined Bar (Credits to Flemmard)
Scrollable quick settings. This will require tweaking later to allow it to be bigger on the Touchpad but fixes overflow issue on 7" tablets with the new Bluetooth toggle. (Credits to Flemmard)
Reboot to recovery is working via the power menu(hold down power button). Note: reboot will sometimes shutdown rather than rebooting.
Preliminary support for Rom Manager. In order to use this you will need Rom Manager Premium because it is not official yet. In order to use it you will need to execute "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" in Rom Manager. Confirm the model is cm_tenderloin, say yes that you have installed manually, and check ClockworkMod 3.x. Now you can use Rom Manager to flash update.zips. Official support should come soon.
Other general changes from syncing with latest changes

I can finally get to reading manga in full screen now!
needs moar Netflix.

1-D_FTW

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Humble Bundle is running an Android based bundle. Osmos, Anamoly, and Edge. Beating the average gets you World of Goo.

Even though I have most of them on Steam, never played any of them and would just as soon play them on a tablet. Tried 3 of the demos (no demo for Anomaly) and they all worked.

EDIT: Full game of Edge crashes at the menu. Everything else seems to work fine.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hmmm, I've been banned so haven't been following the thread as closely as I had before hand. I upgraded to ICS and since then my app store doesn't work (downloads just hang... it is downloading something because ive checkedm y usage)

I had this issue when i first installed android (7.5 or what ever it was) but after a day or two it just fixed itself and downloads started working.

Is anyone else having issues in the app store with ICS??

1-D_FTW

Edge Extended is working fine for me on ICS 0.5

Is there a reason to install both Edge versions?

Hmm. Someone else mentioned in the gaming thread they couldn't get Edge working either.

Weird thing is, demo plays perfectly for me. I did update to .6 in an effort to try and rid myself from the random touchpad not awakening from sleep (still happened). So maybe something about .5 is different.

Ashhong

Hmmm, I've been banned so haven't been following the thread as closely as I had before hand. I upgraded to ICS and since then my app store doesn't work (downloads just hang... it is downloading something because ive checkedm y usage)

I had this issue when i first installed android (7.5 or what ever it was) but after a day or two it just fixed itself and downloads started working.

Is anyone else having issues in the app store with ICS??

I assume you installed the latest gapps package? I think v11? Try clearing the market data

HolyCheck

I assume you installed the latest gapps package? I think v11? Try clearing the market data

Hmm, I will make sure I have I will have to check through my settings later. How does one clear the market data? I see no options in settings other than clear history :(

Ashhong

Hmm, I will make sure I have I will have to check through my settings later. How does one clear the market data? I see no options in settings other than clear history :(

Well I don't know where you would check your settings for gapps version. You should have flashed it in CWM after installing 0.5 ICS via a zip file.

Open app drawer, tap and hold on the Market app, then drag it up, then drag it to "APP INFO" or something like that, that shows up at the top

DJ_Tet

Banned
Hmm. Someone else mentioned in the gaming thread they couldn't get Edge working either.

Weird thing is, demo plays perfectly for me. I did update to .6 in an effort to try and rid myself from the random touchpad not awakening from sleep (still happened). So maybe something about .5 is different.

I just played the first level of Edge Extended. I didn't bother installing the other version.

edit: I just installed the first original version of Edge and it crashed my ICS 0.5 touchpad.

I'd be interested to hear the differences in the two games but for now I guess the TP users are stuck with Edge Extended.

HolyCheck

Well I don't know where you would check your settings for gapps version. You should have flashed it in CWM after installing 0.5 ICS via a zip file.

Open app drawer, tap and hold on the Market app, then drag it up, then drag it to "APP INFO" or something like that, that shows up at the top

Poopers, cleared it and still doesnt work, might be an issue with my gapps version I'll need to look into it later, thank you

1-D_FTW

I just played the first level of Edge Extended. I didn't bother installing the other version.

edit: I just installed the first original version of Edge and it crashed my ICS 0.5 touchpad.

I'd be interested to hear the differences in the two games but for now I guess the TP users are stuck with Edge Extended.

Apparently from the other thread, it's kind of like a sequel with 48 new levels.

Both crash my .6 anyways. I'm sure it'll get sorted out in the future for me though.

Top Bottom