• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

try advance browser it is awesome

I am using it. The apps I've paid for are comic shelf HD, advanced browser, kalemsoft and splash top.

I never said WebOS was terrible. It's just the lack of support (apps and major OS updates) and the poor Touchpad design. But it's not like RIM isn't in the same boat.

The only complaints I have is the poor PDF support in Acrobat, ebook support and a few little things.

In comparing browsers, even without Hardware acceleration, the ICS stock browser does a better job of playing the steams on http://streamdota2.com then WebOS with all the performance/preware patches.

I was unable to get video to play in ICS on Touchpad. It vexxed me so.

Like 1-D stated, I thought the ICS browser and DolphinHD were faster than the Touchpad browser.

The other thing I liked was just typing in app types and getting hits. And since there's more competition in the Android marketplace, prices are pretty fair.

But we still need the camera, wifi and hardware acceleration to work in ICS.

I am using it. The apps I've paid for are comic shelf HD, advanced browser, kalemsoft and splash top.

I never said WebOS was terrible. It's just the lack of support (apps and major OS updates) and the poor Touchpad design. But it's not like RIM isn't in the same boat.

The only complaints I have is the poor PDF support in Acrobat, ebook support and a few little things.

same lol and some more but you got the best covered. I used spashtop A LOT game wise I bought too many it was new and I could not control. Now I pick and choose.

Ashhong

I was unable to get video to play in ICS on Touchpad. It vexxed me so.

Like 1-D stated, I thought the ICS browser and DolphinHD were faster than the Touchpad browser.

The other thing I liked was just typing in app types and getting hits. And since there's more competition in the Android marketplace, prices are pretty fair.

But we still need the camera, wifi and hardware acceleration to work in ICS.

You couldn't get videos to work? We talking in the browser or local files?

saunderez

To me the last two alpha releases making touchscreen adjustments seems to suggest that it might still be a work in progress. If you think you know specifically where the devs are going wrong then why don't you try to contribute instead of just disparaging their work on here?

Agreed. And while it might have broken Flick Golf, at least now I can scroll web pages using my thumb without accidentally clicking on everything.

You couldn't get videos to work? We talking in the browser or local files?

No, not in the browser. I tried Dailymotion and YouTube. Neither site worked for me. I did see people mention not to play HQ, but I ne'er saw the option.

I'd hit play and the video would jat skip to the end.

Ashhong

No, not in the browser. I tried Dailymotion and YouTube. Neither site worked for me. I did see people mention not to play HQ, but I ne'er saw the option.

I'd hit play and the video would jat skip to the end.

Did you install from the Market? Necessary step. Why not use the Youtube app? Theres an HQ option there

Did you install from the Market? Necessary step. Why not use the Youtube app? Theres an HQ option there

Did I install DolphinHD from Android Market? If so, yes. Flash/HTML5 wouldn't work. I didn't get the Youtube app. I'll try that next time I install Android.

I did a full wipe on the Touchpad, so I'm relegated to just WebOS. I'm trying to RMA it, so I'll wait until the replacement gets here.

1-D_FTW

To me the last two alpha releases making touchscreen adjustments seems to suggest that it might still be a work in progress. If you think you know specifically where the devs are going wrong then why don't you try to contribute instead of just disparaging their work on here?

I wouldn't call it disparaging their work to point out something is broken and I hope to goodness that it's not the direction the official release is going in (since it breaks as much as it fixes).

As for my lively follow up post, of course I'm gonna use some hyperbole when you come at me with that attitude. I can drop some f-bombs too. If you can't grasp why it wasn't about Flick Golf and get the real point, I'll spice it up a little so you do. Apparently f-bombs pound points home.

Whoops, forgot to type Flash. You have to manually update Flash from the market. At least that's how it was on Alpha0

Aha!! Didn't do that. That would probably fix my problem.

But there's no compelling reason to put ICS back on Touchpad except for the superior Adobe Acrobat and faster browser (I prefer ComicshelfHD to Perfect Viewer).

Doopliss

I wouldn't call it disparaging their work to point out something is broken and I hope to goodness that it's not the direction the official release is going in (since it breaks as much as it fixes).
Oh, I agree. I was more specifically referring to the part where you said, "The .5 touchpad driver ... sucks just as much as .6," and then later when you reiterated, "It sucks."

As for my lively follow up post, of course I'm gonna use some hyperbole when you come at me with that attitude. I can drop some f-bombs too. If you can't grasp why it wasn't about Flick Golf and get the real point, I'll spice it up a little so you do. Apparently f-bombs pound points home.
No need to worry about hyperbole, you first post had me amply prepared for that (indeed, that's all I intended to irreverently point out with my reply). I appreciate you trying to elucidate your point, but I must admit I'm still struggling because I can't tell whether you actually know what you're talking about with the 'algorithm not sampling enough' stuff.

But we're in luck. I found this thread by the guy who's actually developing the touch screen stuff. So now you can not-disparage his work directly to his face, if you like. And, excitingly, it also seems to feature a link to the hallowed Alpha 0 "Flick Golf! certified" touchscreen driver.

Karish

I think I have found a solution to my wifi issue.. Turning it on and off does nothing but airplane mode on and off seems to work

pje122

Fun fact: Did you know that the original HP touchpad thread that was on Slickdeals.net brought in:

283,945 Replies
AND

Yeah... I was apart of that... it was INSANE... that might be the biggest thread they're ever going to have...

Edit: Question - at what point in the upgrade process are you supposed to do the wipe/dalvik wipe?

Violater

Yeah... I was apart of that... it was INSANE... that might be the biggest thread they're ever going to have...

Edit: Question - at what point in the upgrade process are you supposed to do the wipe/dalvik wipe?

I lost some serious sleep during that one, was up early infront of office depot.

reKon

Banned
I lost some serious sleep during that one, was up early infront of office depot.

Lol for me I actually debated buying this and I had plenty of time to decide... I pretty much almost didn't buy it because I found tablets not worth it (even at 90 dollars apparently). I'm glad I got it though! If it never got Android, I wouldn't feel the same.

I had an iPad 2, but couldn't resist a good deal. Ended up getting one for me, one for my girl and brother.

I ordered three from Walmart and had the orders cancelled. I searched all over Fort Lauderdale, Fl and couldn't find one. On a hunch, I bought two from Amazon at the full price. They ended up price matching that Saturday.

Then my brother found a treasure trove at a Best Buy in NYC. And they were later on their web site. I feel bad for anyone who wanted one and didn't get one.

I just hope this thread is alive and kicking @ the end of the year with talk of WebOS variants and a mature CM9.

I had an iPad 2, but couldn't resist a good deal. Ended up getting one for me, one for my girl and brother.

I ordered three from Walmart and had the orders cancelled. I searched all over Fort Lauderdale, Fl and couldn't find one. On a hunch, I bought two from Amazon at the full price. They ended up price matching that Saturday.

Then my brother found a treasure trove at a Best Buy in NYC. And they were later on their web site. I feel bad for anyone who wanted one and didn't get one.

I just hope this thread is alive and kicking @ the end of the year with talk of WebOS variants and a mature CM9.

oh it will be for long time. I am sure we will be talking about installing windows 8 on this thing. The hardware is very good.

Hey guys,

I want to remove CM7 from this thing but all the ACMEUninstallers that I have downloaded seem to be corrupt (ie winRAR and 7-zip can't open them). Halp?

Doopliss

Hey guys,

I want to remove CM7 from this thing but all the ACMEUninstallers that I have downloaded seem to be corrupt (ie winRAR and 7-zip can't open them). Halp?
I don't think the ACMEUninstaller is meant to come zipped up. The site you're downloading from or the program you're using to download might be adding the .zip extension to the name.

Joe

so is cm9 worth it to upgrade over cm7?

im having wifi glitches/issues with cm7 (wifi cutting in and out).

I don't think the ACMEUninstaller is meant to come zipped up. The site you're downloading from or the program you're using to download might be adding the .zip extension to the name.

Well, the page says to unzip and use it like ACMEinstaller.

I'll give it a shot

1-D_FTW

so is cm9 worth it to upgrade over cm7?

im having wifi glitches/issues with cm7 (wifi cutting in and out).

Haven't had a single loss on either of the touchpads (but I doubt upgrading will help you). Do you have a router you can flash to Linux firmware? Saw speculation it places perfectly with those. Something like Tomato if you can flash it. I'm guessing it's the reason mine love my router (but hate the outside world).

Well, the page says to unzip and use it like ACMEinstaller.

I'll give it a shot

Yeah, so the problem was that all the guides said to UNZIP the file, which you aren't supposed to do. stick it in there raw and it will work.

Also, I didn't install clockwork mod when I did CM9. Can I just run acme again?

EDIT: yep, running acme again does the trick.

pje122

Man the wifi issues on CM9 are pretty bad. I have Tomatoe on my router as well...
Any news on a new version of ICS? On .6 and it's pretty OK other than the wireless...

clav

Tried out the Chrome Beta for the HP Touchpad.

Since hardware acceleration is non-existent, the Chrome browser is worse than the stock ICS browser as of now.

Obviously when the ICS devs figure out how to enable hardware acceleration, that performance will change.

1-D_FTW

HP supports the community and was kind enough to provide us with the Android kernel source and some other GPL components that they modified for the few Touchpads that were accidentally released running Android.

Many thanks go to attorney Benjamin E. Maskell from Roetzel & Andress for helping with this.
Also I'd like to thank phil86 for providing his Android-running touchpad to me and to Snow02 to help with covering some shipping costs.

Now without further delays here's the meat:

I uploaded the code to github, so you can take a look here: https://github.com/d...p-topaz-android

You can get the raw files here:
Kernel: http://crimea.edu/~g...-Kernel.tar.bz2
Additionally we've got the code to two other components:
androidvncserver: http://crimea.edu/~g...910_vnc.tar.bz2
i2c-tools: http://crimea.edu/~g...910_i2c.tar.bz2

Now the source provided so far misses one component still, the wifi driver. I did some digging around and it appears that the wifi driver shipped with both webOS and with the Android are GPL, there are multiple evidences of that including the driver licensing string. Plus the driver is linked against 10+ GPLONLy kernel symbols which makes it kernel derivative. HP is still investigating this matter and we hope to hear from them soon.

What's interesting about this kernel is it seems to be a totally separate development from the webOS kernel (this was suspected from the very beginning), but now the comments in the code seem to imply that HP had another team working on Android port to Touchpad and that team appears to be totally separate from the webOS team. I wonder if that means there was a plan to ship the Touchpad with Android that were then preempted by webOS plans after Palm purchase.
Latest change in the code is from March 2011.

From this code we have already found a way to enable the debug serial console routed via audio jack.
Also it's interesting that audio ports are different and we are looking into how this could potentially be leveraged.
BT is implemented in a more straightforward way and I hope to adopt this into CM9 kernel as making more sense over what we have now.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/17563-the-other-touchpad-kernel-source-from-hp-android-dump/

As you can read, still some issues with the Wifi driver not being released, but it seems (hopefully) that HP is earnest about getting to the bottom of that and releasing it too.

Today is a great day for Android on TP.

Was browsing the forums to see if there was any major progress happening and stumbled upon this old thread that kept getting bumped:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/6641-qua...hpad-by-manufaturer-how-to-reset/page__st__20

The developers were just posting today how they finally arranged to trade with a guy who had one of the Android in the wild HPs. Seems they really need HP to release the source code to solve some of the tuffer problems. And HP, of course, denies any exist in the wild (and thus aren't obligated to release the source). They're hoping by having a unit, serial number, and receipt they can force HP's hand. Guess that explains why progress has kind of stalled on some of those bigger issues. Hopefully this leads to good things in the future.

Quoting myself from earlier in the thread. They basically came out and said things like Wifi and power management would never be truly addressed unless HP would release the source code. This has a chance to make ICS so much better.

SRG01

Well that should definitely help speed up some areas of development. I'm surprised HP finally 'came clean'.

To be honest, I think their original intention of giving out the Android source was always the case. They were never going to do it prior to their webOS announcement.

That being said, I'm surprised they found workarounds for some of their possibly-proprietary drivers so soon.

Wow, quite a development. Makes me happier to have bought mine.

Now, I wonder if this will help them get video acceleration working sooner.

I know it's probably a silly l'il thing, but would the TP camera be able to do face-recognition unlock?

Don't even know if it'd be that useful ultimately, but think it's kinda neat.

joshschw

Okay, I;ve been rocking CM9 for about a week now and have had no big issues whatsoever. No real bugs encountered at all. No issues with wifi, except sometimes I have to reconnect upon a reboot, that's all.

I've been updating the touchscreen drivers as they come out and they are much improved now. Not perfect by any means (slide through home screens/browser pages by dragging and you can even see it's jittery, this is most likely due to the touchscreen drivers. A slow flick gives a smoother transition)

stock browser is super fast. But, I hate how the bar auto fills with anticipated searches. It slows down typing in a web address considerably, and I also don't like the privacy implications. I can no find a way to disable this? Anyone find one? (the slow typing is more of an issue)

Another problem I had was with the stock email client. I typed about a 4 paragraph long email and by the end it was taking over a second to register each key press. I swapped email clients to Kaiten email because I liked it more anyway, but anyone else encounter this?

Gallery. Gallery works fine. I don't think this one is a bug. Gallery in landscape only displays two previews vertically. The thumbnails are huge and very blurry. Not sure if this is phone code being used by accident, or that's just how it is supposed to be.

Anyone on the fence shouldn't hesitate to try it out. I realize I'm having less issues than many people though.

I know it's probably a silly l'il thing, but would the TP camera be able to do face-recognition unlock?

Don't even know if it'd be that useful ultimately, but think it's kinda neat.

No reason why not, but the camera doesn't currently work in ICS :)

kmfdmpig

Well that should definitely help speed up some areas of development. I'm surprised HP finally 'came clean'.

Dalingrin, the main person working on CM9 on the Touchpad does not seem to think it will make much difference:
Erik Hardesty @dalingrin · Details
Kernel source from HP would have been more helpful earlier in development. Don't expect huge gains from this source.

Erik Hardesty @dalingrin Close
It will help with things like serial console and Bluetooth. Most other areas it *might* with will be minor.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. It doesn't seem like it's as promising as it was being made out months ago. I know I read somewhere (maybe it's in that old thread I linked) that they thought it could help with wifi and power management. Maybe it won't at this stage, but if it could, even just those two things would still be huge.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm running an old version of Android on mine, waiting to upgrade to something considerably better. I think I'm on 2.1?

I sold my 32GB Touchpad a few weeks ago on eBay, the buyer received it about a week ago according to tracking but they just e-mailed me this morning stating that they are having issues with the device.

They say that after it goes to sleep mode, it does not wake up and requires a full reboot for it to run again. Has anyone experienced this issue? According to her research on Google, it is a common problem. :/

I have had no problem at all with the tablet (purchased in September during the clearance) and have only used it briefly to surf the Web and watch Youtube. I reset it back to factory default settings before I shipped it off to her as well and have only used official HP firmware.

This is the first time I have ever had a complaint on any item I have sold on eBay, so I am taking all the precautions I can with this one.

EDIT: I have already e-mailed her back and stated that if she is having issue and has not installed Android or anything then she can ship it back to me for a full refund. I also noticed that the buyer recently purchased another unit of the same tablet just a few weeks before mine according to her eBay feedback history so I am hoping this is not some sort of switcheroo. :/

I do have the original serial number though so I can at least verify with that.

Vyer

Damn @ those tweets. I'm hoping to have a fully functioning ICS tablet with this thing. Still hoping, I guess.

Ashhong

I sold my 32GB Touchpad a few weeks ago on eBay, the buyer received it about a week ago according to tracking but they just e-mailed me this morning stating that they are having issues with the device.

They say that after it goes to sleep mode, it does not wake up and requires a full reboot for it to run again. Has anyone experienced this issue? According to her research on Google, it is a common problem. :/

I have had no problem at all with the tablet (purchased in September during the clearance) and have only used it briefly to surf the Web and watch Youtube. I reset it back to factory default settings before I shipped it off to her as well and have only used official HP firmware.

This is the first time I have ever had a complaint on any item I have sold on eBay, so I am taking all the precautions I can with this one.

EDIT: I have already e-mailed her back and stated that if she is having issue and has not installed Android or anything then she can ship it back to me for a full refund. I also noticed that the buyer recently purchased another unit of the same tablet just a few weeks before mine according to her eBay feedback history so I am hoping this is not some sort of switcheroo. :/

I do have the original serial number though so I can at least verify with that.

Fuck that, I would not accept a refund. I would tell her to contact HP support.

Top Bottom