• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Any good media players for touchpad? It's the one reason I need to keep switching to android ;_;

free ones hopefully.. the entertainment catagory in the appstore.. is way to broad

Echoplx

Kalemsoft is great, and better then anything I've used on Android (though it's hard to compare fairly with Android being alpha and all)

When I was installing CM9 this happened to me, only by chance did I find out why. The mirror of the ROM I'd downloaded must've had an issue as it was only 50MB in size not the 100MB it should've been.

Not saying this will be the same for you of course but it's a possibility. Try a different download from another source and then try flashing it again.

Do you have a link for the proper ROM you used? thanks

Are you trying to install CM9 or CM7? Are you using the proper AcmeInstaller for it? CM9 requires ACMEinstaller2. Just put the CM file back in the cminstall folder, and run acmeinstaller again. Should work fine.

Yeah im using ACME installer 2 and im trying to install CM9.

nOoblet16

seeing a lot of app crashes and reboots on cm9,there weren't as many in the first few days but apps like hotmail and even search are now frequently crashing..is wiping out cache from clockwork recovery a good idea to resolve this issue ?

seeing a lot of app crashes and reboots on cm9,there weren't as many in the first few days but apps like hotmail and even search are now frequently crashing..is wiping out cache from clockwork recovery a good idea to resolve this issue ?

Does it even has official hotmail app?

nOoblet16

yea there is a hotmail app,but it sucks..i am thinking of switching to gmail but i have had this account for such a long time..Also i have noticed almost zero problems with the wifi since i put security on the router compared to when it was unsecured,world of difference

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why not use the default email app? Or any other email app through pop3? The hotmail app likely just isn't made for tablets.

I think I'm out. Gonna sell this thing before ipad3 comes out. It's been an ok toy. Just never really matured fast enough from the homebrew crew.

Think I can sell this thing with an official case for $120?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Alpha 1 Cm9 is here!

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18843-releasealpha1-cyanogenmod-9-touchpad/

Alpha 1 Release notes:

We finally have hardware video decode working largely thanks to some help from yjwong. This release is primarily just to get hardware decoding out for folks to enjoy while other work continues. This build does not work with Netflix yet. However, hardware accelerated video decoding does work for Youtube HD and playback of local media. This build still uses the 2.6.35 kernel. The 3.0 kernel is still being heavily worked on and is also the primary focus for development. Don't expect hardware video decoding to be perfect yet. Its half a miracle it works at all on our current kernel.

Similar to the last build I will provide flashable zips to make it easier to switch to lcd density 120 with proper launcher layout. The hardware video decoding will not make it into the nightlies for a few days. There is still some work to do in order to get it merged into repositories and ensure it doesn't break other devices.
Hardware video decoding support. As a result, Youtube HD and 720p and 1080p local media will now be playable. Netflix does not work yet.
Includes touchscreen improvements by Dees_Troy
Now able to enable use of 2D companion core to offload composition

saunderez

Typical, I just installed the latest nightly at lunch. Now I'm gonna have to do it again.

Woot for HW accelerated video though, the software acceleration through MX Player was working pretty well but HW acceleration is usually kinder on the battery so is very welcome.

clav

Reinstalled CM since 0.1 and been upgrading with each new release.

Aside from the "two gallery" problem, everything appears to be working fine aside from the documented problems.

saunderez

Aside from the "two gallery" problem, everything appears to be working fine aside from the documented problems.

The "two gallery" problem is easily fixed. Grab one of them from the tray and drag it up the top to App Info. There should be a button there labelled Disable. This will disable the app and stop it from appearing in the drawer.

clav

The "two gallery" problem is easily fixed. Grab one of them from the tray and drag it up the top to App Info. There should be a button there labelled Disable. This will disable the app and stop it from appearing in the drawer.

How do I uninstall its contents through Terminal as root after disabling it?

saunderez

How do I uninstall its contents through Terminal as root after disabling it?

You don't really need to if its disabled, though easiest way to do it is to simply delete or rename one of the Gallery.apk files from /System/App/

You can do this using Root Explorer or ES File Explorers root mode.

Kalemsoft is great, and better then anything I've used on Android (though it's hard to compare fairly with Android being alpha and all)

Not anymore. Kalemsoft was pretty nice (and the only option on WebOS) but it crashes too much trying to play back files, only works in software mode, and it doesn't support Hi10p.

On the Android side, the only player which properly supports Hi10p is MX Video Player, but playing back a Hi10p-encoded video makes my TP and my Tuna both crawl on their knees and beg for death. Hi10p is supposed to only introduce a ~30% overhead over regular 8-bit encoding but I don't think it's really optimized yet.

If you don't care about Hi10p support, MoboPlayer and Dice Player both support hardware acceleration on CM7, and I'm about to test it on CM9 Alpha 1. Hardware acceleration is preferable to software (CPU) playback because it will save your battery.

clav

You don't really need to if its disabled, though easiest way to do it is to simply delete or rename one of the Gallery.apk files from /System/App/

You can do this using Root Explorer or ES File Explorers root mode.

Thanks. Needed to know the location as I'm not particularly familiar with Android's file structure.

I deleted it as superuser through terminal after changing the mounted systems permissions from read only to read write.

Code:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/store/cm-system

Navigate using ls, cd, and tab keys.

Disabled the first Gallery and then deleted Gallery2.apk.
update: Disable the second Gallery and then delete GalleryGoogle.apk.

Reboot.

System partition went back to read only automatically.

Rengoku

Not anymore. Kalemsoft was pretty nice (and the only option on WebOS) but it crashes too much trying to play back files, only works in software mode, and it doesn't support Hi10p.

On the Android side, the only player which properly supports Hi10p is MX Video Player, but playing back a Hi10p-encoded video makes my TP and my Tuna both crawl on their knees and beg for death. Hi10p is supposed to only introduce a ~30% overhead over regular 8-bit encoding but I don't think it's really optimized yet.

If you don't care about Hi10p support, MoboPlayer and Dice Player both support hardware acceleration on CM7, and I'm about to test it on CM9 Alpha 1. Hardware acceleration is preferable to software (CPU) playback because it will save your battery.

I've been testing a couple players on CM9 Alpha 1 with HW acceleration on.
So far, MX Player will play 720p mkvs but crash occasionally. MoboPlayer will play it, but no audio comes through. I finally settled with Dice Player, which seems to play most mkvs I throw at it perfectly.

So uh, I've had my Touchpad sitting on the touchstone for like the last week without using it once. Went to mess with it today and it won't boot past the Battery/lightning icon unless I plug it in through a usb cable, where it boots into CM9 but won't charge past 0%. Is my battery shot? :(

Doopliss

After flashing Alpha 1 video playback became all pixellated (both in HW and SW modes). The fix was to open build.prop in /system/ (I used ES file explorer with root enabled) and add a # to the start of the line debug.sf.hw=1

After flashing Alpha 1 video playback became all pixellated (both in HW and SW modes). The fix was to open build.prop in /system/ (I used ES file explorer with root enabled) and add a # to the start of the line debug.sf.hw=1

This is the same problem in CM7. I would have hoped they would fix this before releasing the ROM but oh well.

nOoblet16

man someone tell me how to get Skype working on this before i lose my shit : / every time i try to call or vice versa,it says call failed..plus it won't even detect my Bluetooth headset(ps3 one)..its a pain in the ass switching to webos every time someone calls me

edit:so apparently the mic isn't working on cm9 yet,strange..i don't even remember reading that mic was an issue when alpha 0.1 was released

man someone tell me how to get Skype working on this before i lose my shit : / every time i try to call or vice versa,it says call failed..plus it won't even detect my Bluetooth headset(ps3 one)..its a pain in the ass switching to webos every time someone calls me

edit:so apparently the mic isn't working on cm9 yet,strange..i don't even remember reading that mic was an issue when alpha 0.1 was released

skype on webos works fantastically use that in the mean time. Including webcam.

So uh, I've had my Touchpad sitting on the touchstone for like the last week without using it once. Went to mess with it today and it won't boot past the Battery/lightning icon unless I plug it in through a usb cable, where it boots into CM9 but won't charge past 0%. Is my battery shot? :(

anyone?

Top Bottom