• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I sold my 32GB Touchpad a few weeks ago on eBay, the buyer received it about a week ago according to tracking but they just e-mailed me this morning stating that they are having issues with the device.

They say that after it goes to sleep mode, it does not wake up and requires a full reboot for it to run again. Has anyone experienced this issue? According to her research on Google, it is a common problem. :/

I have had no problem at all with the tablet (purchased in September during the clearance) and have only used it briefly to surf the Web and watch Youtube. I reset it back to factory default settings before I shipped it off to her as well and have only used official HP firmware.

This is the first time I have ever had a complaint on any item I have sold on eBay, so I am taking all the precautions I can with this one.

EDIT: I have already e-mailed her back and stated that if she is having issue and has not installed Android or anything then she can ship it back to me for a full refund. I also noticed that the buyer recently purchased another unit of the same tablet just a few weeks before mine according to her eBay feedback history so I am hoping this is not some sort of switcheroo. :/

I do have the original serial number though so I can at least verify with that.

Um - I think you *might* be getting scammed.

Um - I think you *might* be getting scammed.

Well, I do have my original serial number, unless she can somehow switch the model numbers then I think I should be fine. I did specifically state that she must send me back the 'exact unit' that I sent her. They have messaged me back and she told me she is going to try and reset the TP back to its factory default setting because she said that the problem may have started occurring after she had updated the firmware (original manufacturer firmware via Wifi apparently). Actually, I was pretty sure that I updated the firmware to the latest one a couple of weeks ago the day before I shipped it off to her. Did any new firmware updates come out officially since by HP?

mclaren777

Haven't been in the touchpad game for about 2 months. What should I be installing / using?

I keep trying to get people to post their app screens, but only one person has so far.

Here's mine...

iP3WXEkUaZ11C.png

I keep trying to get people to post their app screens, but only one person has so far.

Here's mine...

iP3WXEkUaZ11C.png

Mine's empty since I switched to Android :p

Specially since the restore function does not work and I had to associate it to a brand new account and lost all my purchases...

I have Zite, Accuweather, digicamera lite, ComicshelHD, Splashtop, Kalemsoft Media player, UNO, solitaire, Advanced Browser, Pandora, Evernote, Box, Radiant HD, ESPN ScoreCenter, Angry Birds HD, Epicurios and uBurned Calories Lite.

Echoplx

Is there anything like Unified Remote or RemoteDroid for WebOS? I use them a lot to control my PC from bed but the Android wireless issues can be a pain.

mclaren777

Is there anything like Unified Remote or RemoteDroid for WebOS? I use them a lot to control my PC from bed but the Android wireless issues can be a pain.

There is a great app on the WebOS store that perfectly mirrors the Windows environment. I've thought about getting it many times, but I think it's $10 and I don't really need it that much. But almost everybody who reviewed it, loved it.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name.

kmfdmpig

There is a great app on the WebOS store that perfectly mirrors the Windows environment. I've thought about getting it many times, but I think it's $10 and I don't really need it that much. But almost everybody who reviewed it, loved it.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name.

Splashtop streamer, I think.

Echoplx

That's a great app but it's essentially a remote desktop client, it displays everything on the tablets screen. What I want is to essentially turn my touchpad into a big track pad, leaving the image on my desktops monitor.

That's a great app but it's essentially a remote desktop client, it displays everything on the tablets screen. What I want is to essentially turn my touchpad into a big track pad, leaving the image on my desktops monitor.

If they made something like that for the PS3 (with trackpad mouse for the browser) pretty sure one exists for the PC as well.

*edit* Oh, you want it for WebOS. That might be tougher.

*edit2* Well, that wasn't too hard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q0vQLRtAGT4

So, what's the deal with DPI in CM9? I've heard things about compatibility issues.

I just did an ordinary install, what DPI would I be set and and should I do anything?

clav

So, what's the deal with DPI in CM9? I've heard things about compatibility issues.

I just did an ordinary install, what DPI would I be set and and should I do anything?

If you didn't install any DPI packages, you're set as the devs considered the default DPI would work best for apps.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Should be getting my 'repaired/refurbished' touchpad tomorrow. Total turnaround was about a week, not bad.

Hopefully I won't have any speaker issues.

Doopliss

Interview with Dalingrin on RootzWiki.

Currently the focus is on longer term development. That is, moving the kernel to 3.0+ and moving to the Linux ath6kl kernel driver for wifi. My hope is that the move to the 3.0 kernel will give us working hardware video decoding. In addition, we need to move to a different libaudio solution. Once these are done, I hope to take more of a backseat for the Touchpad and probably move on to another device.

WiFi on CM9 0.6 is absolutely unusable. It refuses to connect to any network but it can see them. I've tried switching WiFi on/off, airplane mode toggle, rebooting, using 2 different WiFi fixer apps. I really hope they get a fix for this soon

I can't believe this... A damn dead pixel just appeared on my touchpad, right in the freaking middle of the screen... Arghhhhh

I can't stop looking at it!

Ashhong

Hum, would I do that? I've been watching movies and nothing changed.

Not sure how effective it really is, but there are images you can download and "instructions" on how to use them to fix stuck pixels. Google it. What color is the pixel? if its pink or anything but black its definitely a stuck pixel I believe. Not too positive.

WiFi on CM9 0.6 is absolutely unusable. It refuses to connect to any network but it can see them. I've tried switching WiFi on/off, airplane mode toggle, rebooting, using 2 different WiFi fixer apps. I really hope they get a fix for this soon

Yeah, its not great. Sometimes when I unlock my device it won't find a network unless I turn the wifi off and back on again.

Yeah, its not great. Sometimes when I unlock my device it won't find a network unless I turn the wifi off and back on again.

How bad are the wifi problems? The most recent version of CM7 sometimes doesn't connect/reconnect when the screen is off, but at least is consistent enough that I can spend a few seconds in the wifi settings to wait for it to connect no problem. Only an annoyance.

If it's like the previous versions of CM7 where the wifi problems were all over the place, I might have to wait longer still for ICS....

sfedai0

Banned
For me its a total crapshoot. I would say it works less than half the time when I boot in to ICS. Turning it off and on again does nothing for me. I still use WebOS mostly becuase its so buggy.

DJ_Tet

Banned
For what it's worth I never had any issues with wifi with CM7. CM9 though would often lose the wifi connection until a reboot.

How bad are the wifi problems? The most recent version of CM7 sometimes doesn't connect/reconnect when the screen is off, but at least is consistent enough that I can spend a few seconds in the wifi settings to wait for it to connect no problem. Only an annoyance.

If it's like the previous versions of CM7 where the wifi problems were all over the place, I might have to wait longer still for ICS....

It doesn't happen on every unlock, so it's not that bad. Even when it does, usually it only takes less than a minute to get it working again.

saunderez

I probably shouldn't be suggesting this, but if you're having wifi problems in CM9 it's probably worth trying out CherryKang over on xda. It's using the new wifi driver that seems to be a lot more stable for me. Keep in mind the new driver is still in review and according to the devs isn't ready for widespread release yet, but it has improved things on my end.

nOoblet16

Guys,do i need to install novacom drivers for Usb mass storage through mtp on cm9 ? i am having a really tough time transferring media to the touchpad since cm9,have to switch to webos everytime...i remember someone mentioned using wireless transfer through pc,can someone please elaborate more on that ?

also,any of you having problem with Bluetooth headsets ? i cant connect the touchpad to my ps3 Bluetooth headset in cm9,but on webos it connects in a flick

mclaren777

So excited!!

QtWebKit (a.k.a. "Cute" WebKit) was originally open sourced by Nokia. We have been in the process of moving webOS to this port of WebKit for some time, with a goal of increasing web site compatibility and overall performance. Today we are ready to release the first part of this effort to the open source community—the Isis web browser.

We've benchmarked the new Isis webOS browser and have found it to be extremely responsive compared to other browsers made for general consumption. It has a fast render pipeline and JavaScript execution profile, which is critical to Enyo and other web technologies. It is extensively supportive of HTML5 and CSS3. Standards-compliance is important to developers because they can use technologies like Enyo to develop cross-platform web applications that already work well on webOS.

We are also providing enhanced support for legacy products like Adobe Flash and other Netscape Plug-in API (NPAPI) plugins to allow them to run in non-X11 environments. In combination with the rest of webOS, we will be providing a complete browsing experience that can be deployed on mobile devices and other form factors.

So I followed the instructions to a T, for installing android, and it doesnt work.

It installs Moboot fine and my Touchpad boots into Moboot but there is no option for Cyanogenmod, all i get is, Start Web OS, Recovery Doctor and Clockwork Mod.

I tried it several times from scratch and the same happens, during the linux installation log in the touchpad i notice that at one point it says "CM7 detected, performing upgrade" yet i have never attempted to install Android before.

Anyone has any ideas? thanks!!!

kharma45

So I followed the instructions to a T, for installing android, and it doesnt work.

It installs Moboot fine and my Touchpad boots into Moboot but there is no option for Cyanogenmod, all i get is, Start Web OS, Recovery Doctor and Clockwork Mod.

I tried it several times from scratch and the same happens, during the linux installation log in the touchpad i notice that at one point it says "CM7 detected, performing upgrade" yet i have never attempted to install Android before.

Anyone has any ideas? thanks!!!

When I was installing CM9 this happened to me, only by chance did I find out why. The mirror of the ROM I'd downloaded must've had an issue as it was only 50MB in size not the 100MB it should've been.

Not saying this will be the same for you of course but it's a possibility. Try a different download from another source and then try flashing it again.

Ashhong

Are you trying to install CM9 or CM7? Are you using the proper AcmeInstaller for it? CM9 requires ACMEinstaller2. Just put the CM file back in the cminstall folder, and run acmeinstaller again. Should work fine.

TheExodu5

Banned
Decided to sell my touchpad off since I just haven't been using it. Friend price to a buddy at work: $220 for the Touchpad, dock, keyboard, and case. I paid $226 so no real loss for me. Might as well hand it off to someone who's going to make use of it.

Top Bottom