• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

clav

Fixed the reboot with a 0.6 reboot fix.

As for the battery indicator, it shows up in settings, so I guess I don't mind.

Double gallery is back though, so I suppose I have to remove the GalleryGoogle.apk instead.

Rengoku

Tried CM9 Alpha 2 for about half an hour so far, and I gotta say, I'm seriously impressed. The blocky scaling is gone for good! I've been streaming a couple 1080p mkv files on a smb share over wifi and it's been butter smooth so far, it looks soo good! Didn't even need to overclock the CPU.

saunderez

Battery still depletes quickly here.

Am I supposed to install juice defender or easy battery saver?

It's unlikely you will be able to do much about that. The devs seem to think the battery drain is related to the audio driver they are using which they're working to do away with. Until that's done I don't expect much to change battery wise.

I suggest changing your governor to Ondemand (in the Performance section of Settings or SetCPU etc) if you haven't already, it seems to be a bit more battery friendly than the Interactive governor it defaults to.

saunderez

I've found that simply turning WiFi off manually when you don't need it on, and turning it on manually when you do solves most battery life problems.

Another good point seeing as though wifi can't currently sleep. Hopefully once the new wifi driver is finished most of these issues will be gone.

clav

It's unlikely you will be able to do much about that. The devs seem to think the battery drain is related to the audio driver they are using which they're working to do away with. Until that's done I don't expect much to change battery wise.

I suggest changing your governor to Ondemand (in the Performance section of Settings or SetCPU etc) if you haven't already, it seems to be a bit more battery friendly than the Interactive governor it defaults to.

I'll try that for now although you're right that we can only wait for the new kernel.

Battery drain is still a problem.

update: I see that with OnDemand, the performance is not as fluid which probably explains why Interactive was the default.

I've found that simply turning WiFi off manually when you don't need it on, and turning it on manually when you do solves most battery life problems.

I need wifi on all the time. This is not a phone.

Hardware acceleration is awesome. Watching mkv 720p videos with MX Video ? Check.

Does anyone know if the Touchpad is OTG capable ? If yes, which format of USB memory can we use ? (FAT32, NTFS, ext ?)

And then re-install the zip in CWM from the memory card right?

Got some backups to do. Hopefully it will fix all the problems. I also have no battery % display and I can't sync my calendar.

And then re-install the zip in CWM from the memory card right?

Got some backups to do. Hopefully it will fix all the problems. I also have no battery % display and I can't sync my calendar.

Just the wipe should suffice. But it wouldn't do any harm though to re-install the zip.

sfedai0

Banned
Ok guys, Im a noob when it comes to JB. I think I have like Alpha zero ICS installed. So Alpha 2 is out. What do I need to download to make it work?

Sorry if this has been asked umpteen times, but If I wipe CM7 and install CM9 will all the apps I downloaded from the tore automatically download again?

Whats the best way of installing ICS and keeping as much content on there as possible?

Finally, I assume folders like, Music, Comics, Video are fine and I don't need to delete the data?

Just the wipe should suffice. But it wouldn't do any harm though to re-install the zip.
Hum, didn't work for some reason. Everything stayed the same.

*edit* Ok I'm stupid. The brightness bar is still there, I just didn't realize you can actually scroll the settings status bar now.

I still can't sync my Google calendar though. Anyone been able to do this?

Ok guys, Im a noob when it comes to JB. I think I have like Alpha zero ICS installed. So Alpha 2 is out. What do I need to download to make it work?
Just download the zip file

Alpha 2 CM9 for Touchpad:
http://goo.gl/JDJ68
http://goo.gl/TV87p
md5: 26b5966069c7a355a4236349b788e1fb

and install it with clockwork mod

Sorry if this has been asked umpteen times, but If I wipe CM7 and install CM9 will all the apps I downloaded from the tore automatically download again?

Whats the best way of installing ICS and keeping as much content on there as possible?

Finally, I assume folders like, Music, Comics, Video are fine and I don't need to delete the data?
The'll download again if you have a google backup account set up. And yes, media files should be fine.

sfedai0

Banned
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Thanks MetamMurphy. Netflix is finally working!! As is all other HD video! ICS is now complete for me.

Hum, didn't work for some reason. Everything stayed the same.

*edit* Ok I'm stupid. The brightness bar is still there, I just didn't realize you can actually scroll the settings status bar now.

I still can't sync my Google calendar though. Anyone been able to do this?

Just download the zip file

Alpha 2 CM9 for Touchpad:
http://goo.gl/JDJ68
http://goo.gl/TV87p
md5: 26b5966069c7a355a4236349b788e1fb

and install it with clockwork mod

The'll download again if you have a google backup account set up. And yes, media files should be fine.

Thanks for the reply dude! So what WILL I lose?

Looks like a clean install, is the way to go.

Downhome

If you install ICS, is there anything like Kalemsoft you can download so that you can load up videos on TP and play them easily like you can on WebOS?

Where is it at now if not even 80%?

touch pad you can leave it on for 5 days and battery would be still there that was the case for me at least. I usually go back to webos for leaving it ideal. I still have not found many uses of android yet. I only use browser so I am very minority. Some games are good on android but i spent much on webos to buy more again lol.

Downhome

Thanks guys.

I'm a little behind since I haven't updated and haven't wanted to until things get to where it will do what I want. I want browsing, games, Netflix, and ability to load my own videos. It looks like it is just about there.

Dunlop

harware accelation with Netflix means it is finally time for me to jump in.

I'm sure it has been asked many many times but is there a link to a site detailing exactly what I need to do with a virgin TP?

sfedai0

Banned
I'm frequently surprised by the popularity of Netflix and this thread only deepens my amazement.

How so? Netflix is the most ubiquitous of all VOD companies. Yea, they dont have the latest stuff, but they have the most comprehensive catalog. Its so handy to have all my devices able to access Netflix at my whim.

mclaren777

How so? Netflix is the most ubiquitous of all VOD companies. Yea, they dont have the latest stuff, but they have the most comprehensive catalog. Its so handy to have all my devices able to access Netflix at my whim.

I've always known that people enjoy watching TV, but I'm just surprised by how deep that desire seems to be.

Ashhong

I dunno if I got an answer for this before, but what's the deal with the different DPI settings in ICS?

What do you mean by "what's the deal"? A lower DPI setting makes the screen look much better by making everything smaller in a sense. Basically makes it into a Touchpad HD. I have mine at 132 and its leaps and bounds above the standard DPI imo. PS, this is not an ICS thing. I have done it on every Android phone.

What do you mean by "what's the deal"? A lower DPI setting makes the screen look much better by making everything smaller in a sense. Basically makes it into a Touchpad HD. I have mine at 132 and its leaps and bounds above the standard DPI imo. PS, this is not an ICS thing. I have done it on every Android phone.

Well, what is it set at by default, what is the recommended setting, and what sort of compatibility issues may I run across? (I have heard that changing the DPI setting causes some apps to complain.)

Just updated to CM9 and I agree with everyone that it's more smoother and nicer looking. CM7 had that sluggish feel to it. Battery seems to be worse though.

I've always known that people enjoy watching TV, but I'm just surprised by how deep that desire seems to be.

Don't start that shit here.

Doopliss

Well, what is it set at by default, what is the recommended setting, and what sort of compatibility issues may I run across? (I have heard that changing the DPI setting causes some apps to complain.)
Default is 160, there's a zip you can install in CWM that changes it to 120. If you set it to anything else many apps won't show up on the market. Not sure what other compatibility issues there are.

I keep mine at 160, you don't gain that much space with a lower setting, and drawing fonts and icons smaller makes them more visibly pixellated on the relatively low res screen.

Man, the Wifi STILL sucks on CM9... even with this latest release...
It hasn't received any updates since the first CM9 alpha release.

Ashhong

Default is 160, there's a zip you can install in CWM that changes it to 120. If you set it to anything else many apps won't show up on the market. Not sure what other compatibility issues there are.

I keep mine at 160, you don't gain that much space with a lower setting, and drawing fonts and icons smaller makes them more visibly pixellated on the relatively low res screen.

This is just not true. I gain a whole lot by making it 132 DPI. You have to also adjust the grid size using Nova Launcher. It's a pretty big change. Also, go into settings and increase the system font size.

Top Bottom