• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

reKon

Banned
Video playback is flawless now (just like my Nexus). All I we need I need is more stable wifi and fixed audio/microphone. A fixed camera and smoother performance will just be the icing on the cake.

one issue is with fullscreen flash video from the browser.

it won't maintain the proper aspect ratio and ends up stretching 16:9 video vertically.

saunderez

This is just not true. I gain a whole lot by making it 132 DPI. You have to also adjust the grid size using Nova Launcher. It's a pretty big change. Also, go into settings and increase the system font size.

Yup 132 is where it's at, it's the devices Native DPI and it doesn't look like the OS is super low resolution anymore.

1-D_FTW

I've tried 120 for the first time. It's definitely got some advantages. So long as you adjust text size a notch up.

You can definitely tell ICS is expecting a higher resolution than 1024*768, because a lot of games that have ads on the top, get cut off with the DPI at 160. With the DPI set at 120, you're no longer zoomed in and you get the ads in the top corner of some games (along with everything else you're supposed to be seeing).

Yup 132 is where it's at, it's the devices Native DPI and it doesn't look like the OS is super low resolution anymore.

I thought they said a lot of things about Market are broken if you use anything between 120 and 160. You're not having issues with 132?

Doopliss

This is just not true. I gain a whole lot by making it 132 DPI. You have to also adjust the grid size using Nova Launcher. It's a pretty big change. Also, go into settings and increase the system font size.
I was thinking of the space you gain from having a slightly thinner status bar etc. (maybe 16 pixels worth in the browser between that and the tab bar). Being able to squeeze more apps and widgets on the home screens isn't something for which I've ever felt the need.

Good suggestion upping the font size, though sadly that doesn't seem to affect the status bar clock which was one of the things that most stood out to me as uglier at a lower DPI.

does webcam and skype works properly? I am on alpha 1 everything is fine for me except i miss skype chat.
The camera doesn't work at all currently. I don't think it's considered a very high priority at the moment.

saunderez

I thought they said a lot of things about Market are broken if you use anything between 120 and 160. You're not having issues with 132?

This is fixable with the various Market replacements that essentially hardcode a valid DPI into the app. I use LCD Density Changer Pro for this purpose as it does it for me but you can easily find a Market that has been hardcoded to 160 DPI and copy it over yourself. Using this method I haven't had any issues with incompatible apps, though some Launchers don't like non-standard DPIs (Nova seems to handle it best now).

Vyer

What exactly is the wifi issue? Does it just drop randomly? Because if so that kind of kills my enthusiasm over video working with Netflix as it sorta defeats the purpose.

The camera doesn't work at all currently. I don't think it's considered a very high priority at the moment.

ya. I did use touchpad for chatting via skype. Very useful to show my baby using this rather than lifting laptop everywhere. Hoping it will be done letter on.

What exactly is the wifi issue? Does it just drop randomly? Because if so that kind of kills my enthusiasm over video working with Netflix as it sorta defeats the purpose.

I am on alpha 1 for quite some time now. It has never been issue to me.

Ashhong

I was thinking of the space you gain from having a slightly thinner status bar etc. (maybe 16 pixels worth in the browser between that and the tab bar). Being able to squeeze more apps and widgets on the home screens isn't something for which I've ever felt the need.

I have a big problem with the size of the icons on the homescreen at the standard 160DPI. It's not necessarily that I need more space, it's just that it looks so hideous. It looks like a 800x600 PC desktop. Like a child's toy or something because it's so big. Hate it.

At least for me over the last few weeks, my wifi issues can be attributed to the type of router I'm using. My touchpad worked flawlessly with my old Netgear router, but I wanted to upgrade to a dual band one.

I tested 4 different routers and had connection issues with them all except a new Netgear WNDR3700.

The ones that had connection issues included a Linksys e3000, e4200, and a Netgear WNDR3800 (which had a known issue with the touchpad).

Wow, I just sent in my Touchpad in for RMA and we get real improvements to CM9.

Hopefully, they can update to Kernel 3.0, iron out wifi, battery and camera in the next month.

Mission

Man, the Wifi STILL sucks on CM9... even with this latest release...

It hasn't received any updates since the first CM9 alpha release.

The notes I was reading suggest that some of the nightlies had fixed the wifi but that the kernel Daligrin used for Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 didn't include it.

As for the pattern... (forgot to quote that person) I don't believe i have ever seen it drop while in use. What I do see if that if I turn it off that I often have to cycle the wifi on after I turn it back on. This is also only if I have left it for a while. Also the connection time itself is pretty long.

Ashhong

At least for me over the last few weeks, my wifi issues can be attributed to the type of router I'm using. My touchpad worked flawlessly with my old Netgear router, but I wanted to upgrade to a dual band one.

I tested 4 different routers and had connection issues with them all except a new Netgear WNDR3700.

The ones that had connection issues included a Linksys e3000, e4200, and a Netgear WNDR3800 (which had a known issue with the touchpad).

Works perfectly on my WNR3000 I think it is as well as Linksys WRT54G. Both are running DD-WRT. Are any of yours? I've read the Touchpad works well on WRT/tomato.

Rengoku

With regard to the Wifi issues some folks are having, I seem to remember some discussion on the CM9 thread regarding turning off wifi mixed mode as a solution. Maybe that's worth trying out.

Works perfectly on my WNR3000 I think it is as well as Linksys WRT54G. Both are running DD-WRT. Are any of yours? I've read the Touchpad works well on WRT/tomato.

My old Netgear was a WNR3000 and the TP didn't have any issues with it, but I think I had a version that wasn't compatible with DD-WRT.

The new WNDR3700 I bought has worked flawlessly over the last week, but it is using the stock firmware. I believe it is compatible with DD-WRT, just haven't tried putting DD-WRT on it yet.

Is installing DD-WRT worth it if I'm not having any issues at all?

Ashhong

My old Netgear was a WNR3000 and the TP didn't have any issues with it, but I think I had a version that wasn't compatible with DD-WRT.

The new WNDR3700 I bought has worked flawlessly over the last week, but it is using the stock firmware. I believe it is compatible with DD-WRT, just haven't tried putting DD-WRT on it yet.

Is installing DD-WRT worth it if I'm not having any issues at all?

Well if you aren't having any issues at all, maybe not. But installing DD-WRT can't hurt, I don't think lol.

IMACOMPUTA

So I was using my touchpad a while ago (im on ICS 0.6 i think) and the battery died. I plugged it in and went to bed.
When I woke up it was still on the boot animation screen.

I've tried all kinds of things and its just stuck there. :(
I can obviously get into CWM, etc. but i cant boot up CM9.

Any advice or reasoning for this happening? It happened out of nowhere.

So I was using my touchpad a while ago (im on ICS 0.6 i think) and the battery died. I plugged it in and went to bed.
When I woke up it was still on the boot animation screen.

I've tried all kinds of things and its just stuck there. :(
I can obviously get into CWM, etc. but i cant boot up CM9.

Any advice or reasoning for this happening? It happened out of nowhere.

Boot into WebOS. It'll charge fine. It's a bug I have/had also.

Jangocube

Banned
Ok, so I'm trying to do something with the touchpad and am looking for a little help.

I want to use it for work where I would be showing people word documents and not able to connect to the web. I would be needing to save these documents onto the Touchpad, then viewing them. Looked around the web for a bit and Quickoffice seems to be recommended a lot but every Microsoft Office Document I transferred over to my touchpad only displayed parts of the documents, like images with no text, text with no images, or nothing at all.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Or is there a better app to do this with? I could also use an app that lets you save webpages when you don't have internet access and lets you fully view them. Not a fan of the appstore on this thing, but I love the device.

Ok, so I'm trying to do something with the touchpad and am looking for a little help.

I want to use it for work where I would be showing people word documents and not able to connect to the web. I would be needing to save these documents onto the Touchpad, then viewing them. Looked around the web for a bit and Quickoffice seems to be recommended a lot but every Microsoft Office Document I transferred over to my touchpad only displayed parts of the documents, like images with no text, text with no images, or nothing at all.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Or is there a better app to do this with? I could also use an app that lets you save webpages when you don't have internet access and lets you fully view them. Not a fan of the appstore on this thing, but I love the device.

get documents to go.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
just installed cm9 alpha 2 and so far smooth as butter.

New to ICS on the tablet so does anyone have any cool tweaks, themes, or anything good to install let me know. Like what's a good custom keyboard to install, something that works well with the tablet.

And where can I get my HBO go app, I'm sure it should work now , but can't find it on the marketplace.

Ashhong

just installed cm9 alpha 2 and so far smooth as butter.

New to ICS on the tablet so does anyone have any cool tweaks, themes, or anything good to install let me know. Like what's a good custom keyboard to install, something that works well with the tablet.

And where can I get my HBO go app, I'm sure it should work now , but can't find it on the marketplace.

I love Thumb Keyboard

Ashhong

alright I'll check it out.

Anymore general tweaks? Is there something to improve touchscreen accuracy?

Touchscreen accuracy is all adjusted by the devs and is supposed to have been improved in Alpha 2.

My number 1 tweak is changing the DPI to 132, downloading the modified market so that I can access all of the apps still, install Nova Launcher and use a custom grid size of 10x10 I believe.

Anyone here still use WebOS? I cannot seem to get the most recent update to work, it keeps failing after downloading it. Not the biggest issue in the world, just slightly annoying.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Touchscreen accuracy is all adjusted by the devs and is supposed to have been improved in Alpha 2.

My number 1 tweak is changing the DPI to 132, downloading the modified market so that I can access all of the apps still, install Nova Launcher and use a custom grid size of 10x10 I believe.

Thanks for the tips :)

Anyone here still use WebOS? I cannot seem to get the most recent update to work, it keeps failing after downloading it. Not the biggest issue in the world, just slightly annoying.

I use it. I also have android on it though. Restart the touchpad and than try to do the update. I personally have never had any problem. It takes some time though to update.

I had issues updating to the latest firmware when I had Android on my Touchpad. The forced rebooting would fail.

Now if you only have WebOS on your touchpad then you can try the WebOS Doctor route.

Just got an e-mail from HP, my RMA'd Touchpad is back. Perfect time since CM9 is on Alpha 2.

I remember someone else RMA'd their Touchpad. Did they send you back the same Touchpad or or a different one?

nOoblet16

weird problem,sometimes when i lock my touchpad or in general it goes to sleep,it reboots for some reason..And not just one time,it keeps rebooting every time the screen goes dark...m worried,does anyone have any idea why this might be happening ?

Anony

should i install alpha 2..
is the op updated to alpha 2? dont really want have problems afterwards with webos updates and whatnot i see people having

want to know if i can do this
i just want this: partition webos 4gb, android 4gb, the rest is data partition (26gb) where both webos and android have access to

To use the new Chrome beta update, you will need to edit the build.prop file to spoof a valid ICS ID.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=22936668&postcount=13

I still like the smooth performance of the stock browser though. However, Chrome does render very closely to a true desktop browser.

This doesn't seem to be working for me. Chrome still doesn't show up on the market, and if I go to it on a PC browser it says there is no compatible device.

clav

This doesn't seem to be working for me. Chrome still doesn't show up on the market, and if I go to it on a PC browser it says there is no compatible device.

Did you change the default dpi or something?

Works fine for me as Chrome showed up on the market day 1.

The method fixes an issue that the latest update refuses to install on alpha2.

Did you change the default dpi or something?

Works fine for me as Chrome showed up on the market day 1.

The method fixes an issue that the latest update refuses to install on alpha2.

Hum nope, never messed with the DPI, always thought it looked fine as it was.

Shouldn't a new device appear on the Android market after changing the build.prop? I only have these two:

VSMk4.png

Top Bottom