• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

clav

Hum nope, never messed with the DPI, always thought it looked fine as it was.

Shouldn't a new device appear on the Android market after changing the build.prop? I only have these two:

VSMk4.png

That's not it.

There's some weird code that starts with a "GLK" or something that changes to the ID in that post in the build.prop.

Use a text editor to edit it as superuser. Modify the permissions if required.

Strange how your tablet doesn't see it with a normal install.

Anony

well, after a day with ICS, i gotta say, it doesnt work, it feels too much like a phone OS on steroids
I understand google wants one platform for both tablet and phone, but at the end, it's too bounded to that phone interface for any real evolution
the OS itself, webos is much better i must say

but, at the end of the day, there is just way to many apps and widgets and customizations to ignore, so ICS wins

it's a shame, i feel webos would win if it had more support, something as simple as widget would do wonders
at the same time, if google made something specific to the tablet form facor, size, and screen real estate, it can be much more than it is now

at the end, i think i'm just bias though, cuz i want a windows like experience on the tablet, biggest problem with both is multitasking
is it so hard to have a window open and i can maximize and minimize it to the taskbar or something
webos comes really close with the cards and the swiping

clav

well, after a day with ICS, i gotta say, it doesnt work, it feels too much like a phone OS on steroids
I understand google wants one platform for both tablet and phone, but at the end, it's too bounded to that phone interface for any real evolution

but, at the end of the day, there is just way to many apps and widgets and customizations to ignore, so ICS wins

it's a shame, i feel webos would win if it had more support, something as simple as widget would do wonders
at the same time, if google made something specific to the tablet form facor, size, and screen real estate, it can be much more than it is now

at the end, i think i'm just bias though, cuz i want a windows like experience on the tablet, biggest problem with both is multitasking
is it so hard to have a window open and i can maximize and minimize it to the taskbar or something

I understand your complaints, but I won't complain for how much I paid for the tablet.

ICS is wonderful.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

dont ipads and ipods both use ios? :s

and webos works the same on phones too doesnt it?

Kintaco

I love the swiping from webos, but in terms of coming close to a taskbar, the ICS recent programs button is pretty close to an actual task bar, more so than webos IMO.

Anony

dont ipads and ipods both use ios? :s

and webos works the same on phones too doesnt it?

ios is such a closed system, there's really no expectations for it to anything outside the apps
the android, there's so much to do, so much you can do, it just heightens the expections of what you want it to do, and when you find out you cant do it, it's kinda a disappointment

That's not it.

There's some weird code that starts with a "GLK" or something that changes to the ID in that post in the build.prop.

Use a text editor to edit it as superuser. Modify the permissions if required.

Strange how your tablet doesn't see it with a normal install.

I know, i didnt edit anything there. What i meant was by editing the build prop the market should recognize a new device, but its not doing that for some reason, and maybe thats why the chrome beta isnt showing up.

Did CM9 Alpha2 include GApps? After doing a a data wipe I still have the Market, Youtube, Maps etc.

You should still reinstall gapps. I didn't get calendar sync till i did.

knee

I'm going to pop this in the buy / sell / trade forum as well, but I'm selling a new, sealed, never ever opened 32GB hp touchpad for $265 shipped.

It'll ship priority mail with tracking and all that jazz.

hermit7

Is anybody else having trouble with chrome beta? It says it needs a 4.0 (ICS) OS?

There is a updated chrome apk that removed the device check. That's all you need to download. I am not exactly sure where I downloaded it from but a quick search should pull it up.

Xyphie

Is anybody else having trouble with chrome beta? It says it needs a 4.0 (ICS) OS?

They added a device check in the latest version, so it only works on a few (official) devices. If you use some Google-fu there's a workaround/patched version.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I did a data and cache wipe, and still no brightness slider or battery %.

What do I do now guys?

edit: and if I have to do a clean install, what's the quickest way to do it?

sfedai0

Banned
Wait, what does the brightness slider and battery look like? I have to go in to settings to set brightness and as for battery, I have the battery logo on my homescreen, but it doesnt show %. Is my ICS not working right either?

saunderez

Wait, what does the brightness slider and battery look like? I have to go in to settings to set brightness and as for battery, I have the battery logo on my homescreen, but it doesnt show %. Is my ICS not working right either?

If you have a battery icon it's working. Battery percentage doesn't work yet as far as I know.

SRG01

This is not true. The percent was present in the original build.

I found out the cause. I was on XDA on numerous threads, and some people said that the issue was addressed in the RootzWiki thread. Apparently a setting got changed during 0.5 and the issue has been raised with the developers. It's coming back in the next build.

saunderez

This is not true. The percent was present in the original build.

There's percentage when you open the Combined Bar yeah, but not next to the battery indicator when the bar is closed. When I lost my Battery indicator I lost it from both the closed and opened Combined bar.

Oh cool. Hey, is SetCPU worth it? I mean, does OC'ing noticeably inprove ICS?

It definitely makes it feel a bit smoother. Prior to HW accelerated video making a comeback I found it also made a huge difference to the smoothness of 720p MKV playback.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I found out the cause. I was on XDA on numerous threads, and some people said that the issue was addressed in the RootzWiki thread. Apparently a setting got changed during 0.5 and the issue has been raised with the developers. It's coming back in the next build.

I wish you had found this out before I did a full wipe. :(

Got my RMA'd Touchpad today.

I sent it in for the speaker crackle, cracked plastic by top left speaker and recessed home button.

1 out of 3 isn't bad. I think I got a recertified Touchpad. I haven't heard the sound yet, but can confirm the home button is recessed a bit on this. I had another Touchpad that didn't suffer the button issue.

Updating to 3.0.5 and then throwing the latest ICS on there along with my saved data.

I think I might hold off buying the iPad 3 for awhile thanks to a decent build of CM9. If they can fix a few of the other nagging issues, we'll be golden.

Just noticed my Touchpad is broken right next to the left speaker... no idea how this happened, I never dropped it and it has never hit anything.

Doopliss

Does anyone know how to fix this?
You have to use ACMEInstaller2 if you're installing CM9, so that changes in the command. Other than that, is ACMEInstaller2 in the same directory as novacom.exe? and did you change to that directory in the command prompt (cd C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc or wherever)?

Just noticed my Touchpad is broken right next to the left speaker... no idea how this happened, I never dropped it and it has never hit anything.

Those cracks are a known issue and I'm not sure anyone knows the true cause. There are a few threads on xdaforums about it though. I have a small crack coming from my right speaker :-(

This happened to the Touchpad I got from my girlfriend. She said she never dropped it, but got the crack by the speaker.

RMA it. You only have a year warranty, might as well utilize it while you still have time.

But they're definitely cheaply made.

tino

Banned
OK I am going to give my touchpad to my cousin. I have no idea how good he is with the computer.

Do you guys recommend upgrading to ICS or staying with CM7? I personally use ICS on my phone, it is... not a big deal.

OK I am going to give my touchpad to my cousin. I have no idea how good he is with the computer.

Do you guys recommend upgrading to ICS or staying with CM7? I personally use ICS on my phone, it is... not a big deal.

If everything is working fine and if you are good with it no need.

clav

Anyone unable to use Chrome anymore? I'm on ICS and it says my OS isn't supported.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35458538#post35458538
To use the new Chrome beta update, you will need to edit the build.prop file to spoof a valid ICS ID.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=22936668&postcount=13

I still like the smooth performance of the stock browser though. However, Chrome does render very closely to a true desktop browser.

Well, I installed CM9 Alpha 2 this afternoon, and it was working great for a while. Then the crashing started. I have no idea why it started, as I'd only installed a few apps, but now I can barely open the Settings menu without it rebooting. I did a data wipe/factory reset from Clockwork recovery, but it didn't help a bit. Any ideas?

PSGames

I'm currently using CM9 Alpha 2 and the Android Market is super pixalated and just ugly. Is there a way to fix this?

Doopliss

I'm currently using CM9 Alpha 2 and the Android Market is super pixalated and just ugly. Is there a way to fix this?
What version of the market do you have? I'm on 3.4.4 and apart from a couple of the banners on the splash screen which appear to be blown up from phone resolution it looks fine.

Top Bottom